Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Remember when drawing fanart, Naberius Tern was just a huge monitor lizard, godspeed.
(But also Gideon and Harrow are Māori, and I never want to let people forget it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

and who knows what Ianthe does.

Makes the worst possible choice for herself and all involved, presumably.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I mean, I'm a sucker for a good enamel pin at the best of times...
And these look super good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I like that SexPal speaks in cursive.
I also made some dumb memes:

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 3, 2020

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Hmm I might need a new skull av too...
Edit: Hell yeah

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 16, 2020

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Speaking of fan projects, I got this set of enamel pins in the mail today. Which are technically fanart.

vvv I'm amazed that video still only has like 1500 views, it seems like it should be way bigger than that vvv

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 20, 2021

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Lookin' forwards to my glorious resurrection

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

The best cavalier in Harrow died in Gideon, for John's sake.

RIP Ortus, we hardly knew ye

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ahh yes, nekomancers

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Ianthe, like Vriska, did nothing wrong.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Quinton posted:

I pre-ordered a hardcover of Harrow because I wanted black edges to match my Gideon hardcover and was bummed to get just plain paper.

Yeah, this happened to me too, so I ended up ordering a second copy from some random bookshop in the US. Cost a fair bit (about as much in shipping as the book itself cost) but it was totally worth it for the ~aesthetic~

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cowards

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

AcidCat posted:

As an aside one of my favorite things was how she characterized the God Emperor as this wonderful combination of regular person but godlike-powerful entity. Also I am a hugely visual reader so usually "cast" actors in books for the major parts and he was soooo Colin Farrell.

Come on, he's clearly Taika Waititi

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

AcidCat posted:

I love this person but.. no. LOL

I'll also accept Shortland Street-era Temuera Morrison, or Cliff Curtis of any age.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Māori Dadjoke Hitler is not an inaccurate description

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

And, of course, Naberius Tern was a huge monitor lizard.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

If you're a book reviewer with a Netgalley account, an author who the publicist thinks will tweet about it and help sell copies, or you've got a friend who works in publishing are basically the three ways I know to get them.

I think tordotcom sending ARCs out a year in advance is dumb because it's hard to sustain hype for an entire year, especially when it feels like if you're not in the cool club you don't matter, but they're a big publishing house and I'm not so :shrug: Nearly every other publisher I know does it a lot closer to launch, at least.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I've been feeling a bit like a grumpy goon lately because all of Tordotcom's marketing and publicity leaves me incredibly cold, but man the second Tamsyn Muir opens her mouth to say literally anything about her books I'm 1,000% back on board.

I love Nona already, and I love Noodle.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I love Nona and I love SexPal and I love Cam and Pyrrha is growing on me rapidly too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

Anything beyond that would probably be too confusing to be able to keep track of, but hey, who knows

Yeah there's no way a Locked Tomb book would ever be confusing.

(But also yes, agreed)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

What is an enormous bitch who can't even do a Goddamn star jump?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/saltyseaghost/status/1495431760724873222
I ran across this twitter thread about a Tamsyn Muir Q&A, and I've just gotta say

cptn_dr posted:

Come on, he's clearly Taika Waititi

VINDICATION

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Obnoxipus posted:

also according to the very cool and official house identification tool, i belong in the fourth house, which tracks, unfortunately.

Get in friend, we're gonna gently caress up an octopus

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Well it's not a novel but some of the Year's Best Short Story anthologies are pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DFCP422?tag=paperroadpres-20

I dunno if there's anyone else on the pro scene who writes novels like Muir or Stronach yet, but I reckon we'll get there soon.

Lots of indie writers doing indie things, but it's yet to really take off outside of Gideon and Dawnhounds. Though SurreptitiousMuffin might show up to prove me wrong, he does that sometimes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Heard The Absolute Book by Elizabeth Knox was great, it's soon on my list to read

Also yeah, it's a very different beast to Gideon but Liz is definitely one of our best writers, though she falls into the category of authors where the critics say "Oh she's writing literature so it's not really fantasy". She disagrees and shows up to our local spec Fic writer meetups sometimes, but what can you do.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm trying to figure out how to get black sprayed pages for my copy of Nona to match the first two. Tordotcom really aren't making it easy :mad:

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Has anyone spotted a way to pre-order Nona with black edges pages yet? I desperately need it to match the other two.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

As a 30-something dude who looks nothing like Taika Waititi, my only real cosplay option is Magnus Quinn. Fortunately he's the best, so if I ever have the opportunity I might actually do it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'm super jealous of those Subterranean Press editions

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Opportunity for the Yanks among us

https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1552292730256035847?t=7Po5L6JvEvpx-tJOkNe8ng&s=19

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/Cptn_Dr/status/1553566715967320064
I made a Locked Tomb drink and I think I'm insufferably clever.
Edit: This post is how I realised that I drilled a hole in the wrong eye socket when I made my 7th House skull.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It was delicious! Slightly more herbaceous than your standard Corpse Reviver #2 thanks to the Strega, and because I used Noilly Prat instead of Lilet Blanc or Cocchi Americano, all the other flavours came to the fore a little better. There was still some aniseed taste because of the star anise floating in it, too. I'm just an amateur enthusiast so I dunno if anyone would ever serve it at a bar, but the pun was good and it quenched my thirst, so I'll call that a win.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

And also disillusioned former Homestucks

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1555454563217559553?t=jp-A48ioElPBtRjSn7ixXg&s=19

OK so it's not a great example of presentation (I'm a VERY amateur cocktail maker) but I made a 2nd House drink too. Not sure if I'll manage all 9 houses but it's a start.

And another:
https://twitter.com/ElixirLibris/status/1555505960604823552?t=84RmQ-aXufnELObSRjGpSw&s=19

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 5, 2022

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

One day we'll get a Locked Tomb novel where the protagonist isn't a giant dumbass.

OK to be fair Nona isn't a dumbass, she's a very sweet precocious young lady, but she's also basically a child. (Spoilers but ones that are made clear in the preview chapter)

Maybe in Alecto.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I have a complete set of these, and they're pretty great. They're fan-made, but Taz posted about the Kickstarter when it ran, so they at least have her approval.

I notice there's been a new run if the pins in black, but I think I prefer the bone-white originals.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Here's the Ninth House w/ aviators in action.

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't know if SurreptitiousMuffin is still lurking this thread but I picked up The Dawnhounds recently, along with paperback copies of Gideon and Harrow. Here it is, on my bed!

My collection of Goon books is slowly growing
Hell yeah!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

The non-Aviator Ninth skull is blessedly mandible-free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

That's the beauty of Taz's writing — even when something catches you completely off guard, you can see all the clues there in retrospect once you know.