Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bookmarked. I'm a few chapters into Harrow right now and it feels quite a bit different than the first book so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Just finished Harrow and caught up on the replies here

I definitely expect the emperor was created through a nuclear holocaust. It's referenced several times.

Regarding Alecto, I got the impression that the lyctors opened her tomb using Gideon's blood because she's the offspring of the emperor. So Harrow confessing that she opened the tomb, and the emperor telling her she couldn't, was moot because the lyctors had opened it previously by nullifying the blood wards using blood from the offspring of the emperor. Weird plot point of course. Whole book was pretty weird, but brilliant.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

Note that Harrow mentions a day when she particularly wanted to die and went to open up the Tomb and die there, and Gideon mentions a day when she said some particularly nasty things and Harrow went away with most of Gideon's face under her fingernails.

Good catch!!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Toki and Mads are loving adorable and they put effort into those cosplays. They deserve all the views.
https://twitter.com/platiyum/status/1367627123062579202?s=19

:lol: amazing

mewse
May 2, 2006

When Gideon's voice finally re-emerged in the 2nd book I was almost physically relieved

Gideon is such a blunt force trauma of a character. I don't need a "riding into the sunset" ending in the third book but it would be nice if some characters like sextus and gideon are returned to some form of life at the end

mewse
May 2, 2006

Entropic posted:

Am I the only one weirded out because the first thing that comes to mind for “Nona” is the Italian term for grandma?

My grandma is also gideon the ninth

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm planning on doing a re-read when the next one drops because I unfortunately forgot a lot of characters before reading Harrow

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/rocketbelle/status/1452701403189809157

https://twitter.com/rocketbelle/status/1452711500221722633

mewse
May 2, 2006

Honestly diving into Harrow while Gideon is still fresh is probably a good idea. I had forgotten a lot from Gideon when I read Harrow and it sucked. Planning to re-read them when a new book drops.

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/eernarts/status/1482524258127564804

mewse
May 2, 2006

I like "We go looking for why the art we love is moral even if the art we love is a donut."

mewse
May 2, 2006

2nd house because I chose the sword and flag x_x

mewse
May 2, 2006

Man if I still had twitter...

mewse
May 2, 2006

2nd house again :shobon:

quote:

SECOND HOUSE
The good news is that everyone in the Houses swoons over a cohort uniform. The bad news is that you've just been assigned cop at birth

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone have vector images for house skulls or know where to find? I wanna try 3d printing something

e: PoC

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 25, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

If you want a fancy set of trade hard covers, Illumicrate will have their set open for public sale later today.

Already gone :rip:

https://twitter.com/illumicrate/status/1567893571750993922

mewse
May 2, 2006

I did a gideon->harrow->nona re-read when nona came out so I'm finally back and reading the thread, Harrow made *so much more sense* as a re-read just after reading Gideon, and the tonal shifts between the 3 books were easier to deal with. It was useful being able to discern who the initialed characters were in Jod's flashback chapters (A---- for Augustine, M---- for Mercymorn, G---- for Saint of Duty etc)

NtN / hot sauce spoilers

Sitting Here posted:

Sidenote to that—I was a little bummed out that we didn't see the gang convene at Hot Sauce's hideout, which was kind of set up to be a set piece later in the story. Unless I glazed over it somehow? Audiobooks can have that effect.

I think that scene was just to illustrate Hot Sauce being recruited by Blood of Eden. Angel/Aim/"The Messenger" was taking charge at the school to try and keep the kids alive, off screen it seems that she basically provides Hot Sauce with a Blood of Eden safe house.

tiniestacorn posted:

This was my read. I understand the impulse to do soul quantum stuff, but the simplest answer to "why is Gideon acting like this?" is that she's suffered a tremendous number of serious traumas in short succession -- not to mention the baggage she's already carrying from her childhood in the Ninth -- and she's 19 years old.

Yeah.. with respect to Gideon I was a little surprised/disheartened that she was mean to Nona when she showed up. It seems like a lot of people were, considering the theorycrafting about Gideon's soul. But I think this is the first time in 3 books we've seen Gideon outside of gideon/harrow PoV and it just makes sense that Gideon (AND harrow!) appear to be dicks from an outside perspective. And Gideon has a dad now etc etc. The friendship bracelets are still sus af (I like the theory that teacher, another revenant, was wearing a woven belt and that might be related)

(hot sauce art) that is awesome.

e: from an interview that was posted it makes so much sense that Muir was a teacher. I wouldn't be able to write the social interactions of children as realistically as she did.

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 11, 2022

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bayham Badger posted:

(Entire series spoilers) And in my reading, Alecto/Nona was not "pulled" from the River by John, but rather is ~1/2 of the Earth's soul that John was not able to digest or incorporate or whatever, which he then shoved into the Barbie-like creation that he created (which in my headcanon actually looks quite unhuman and strange, due to it being his first draft at creating a person).

Related to this I've been a little confused (big nona spoilers) I think I missed when it's revealed that Alecto is Earth's soul? Was it the part where John takes part of his rib cage to create a barbie doll?

I'm also confused about the dream chapters - John refers to Harrow by name sometime early in them but keeps talking about how he "created you".. speaking to Harrow but describing how he created Alecto. John also makes a heart with J+H in it? (John + Harrow). Is it some porous thing going on where Harrow and John are both dreaming, but Harrow's soul is in the tomb so John is speaking to Alecto + Harrow at the same time?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bayham Badger posted:

So Harrow is interacting with Alecto's memory of John, not the real John.

(nona spoilers continued)

I could be wildly off the mark but I thought John was actually in the dream because Alecto describes stabbing him in the chest to wake him up in the epilogue

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bayham Badger posted:

(more Nona spoilers) or maybe part of his soul that he "hid" in Alecto, which I suppose is not 100% connected to present day John.

Oh.. that seems very possible because I'm fairly sure it's mentioned that if body in the tomb is killed, it would kill John. That suggests his soul is linked to Alecto and it could've been that fragment showing Harrow around the pre-history of the necromantic empire.

Speaking of soul fragments, you guys (this thread) convinced me that Nona unknowingly fighting in a 2-handed stance is a Big Hint that Gideon's soul isn't intact.

mewse
May 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Quick qn: why did post Gideon harrow require mindwipe harrow to carry the sword everywhere? It was a big plot point since it held commander wakes soul, but I can't see why it would matter to harrow

i think one of the first notes harrow wrote to herself said protect the sword with your life

mewse
May 2, 2006

Everyone posted:

Honestly, right now I want to see some kind of cheesy New Age self-help book with the title, The Peanut Butter Soul.

mewse
May 2, 2006

sebmojo posted:

There is already a perfectly good river metaphor I don't know why you are just ignoring it

My soul was a river, full of mud and bugs, and I poured it into a peanut butter jar

mewse
May 2, 2006

ccubed posted:

Probably projecting with this speculation, but I prefer the hybrid soul theory for Nona being bits of everyone. There's Harrow and Gideon and Alecto all mixed up. The reason for new birth Nona is to allow Alecto to actually understand humanity. Not from the POV of the Earth, not as a voyeur watching from over Harrow's shoulder, but to actually experience life as a human herself. Most everything we see from Alecto's point of view is alien and weird. At the end of Nona she asserts her own reality over everyone else so she hears them in biblical terms because she is a confused half-god stuck in a Hollywood Hair Barbie body (that she hates) having to put up with these annoying flesh infants. Nona will be what will allow her to actually understand them in order to deal with them for whatever ultimately happens in Alecto. Also, I also hope this will stop her from perceiving everyone in her weird way because even in the short sequence at the end of Nona, that dialogue wore thin for me.

But the reason I really want the hybrid theory to be true is because I want more Nona. I loved her character. And part of that was because she seemed like a second chance for both Gideon and Harrow to have a childhood. One where they were raised by loving caregivers and they were able to make real friendships with others. Nona felt like all the best parts of both Harrow and Gideon if they were allowed to openly be themselves. And the instinctual two handed sword style, and Harrow voice "stop, you're killing her" make me think they're both in there somewhere.

That would be nice if Nona continues on as part of (a less insane) Alecto

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Probably not the right thread for this, but I got Dawnhounds for Christmas and started reading it a while back and now I'm like a quarter into it.
It's good. :thumbsup:

I am also reading dawnhounds right now but i am reserving judgement

mewse
May 2, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

it's fine but it's the stuff i enjoy least i guess? like it doesn't gently caress with the story really it's just like brief flashes of "this should've been dropped in a revision probably" + cringe

I think in the afterword for Nona, Tamsyn mentions that her editor convinced her to use less memes in Nona and going forward, so you're not the only one who dislikes it.

I enjoyed the memes and thought they added to the off-kilter feel of the writing, but it seems like a lot of people hated 'em.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah but he had good intentions

“don’t say spite, don’t say spite”

mewse
May 2, 2006

disposablewords posted:

Gideon probably would've come out a lot better adjusted if it wasn't for the, y'know, sudden deaths of all her peers as a child.

eh yeah but all those souls were still there so it’s fine

mewse
May 2, 2006

Decon posted:

Finally got someone to pick up TLT. Definitely seems that Gideon has an early to mid book hump that keeps people out, but he's on Harrow now and I just got the text "Wtf did Harrow do to herself".

:allears:

mewse
May 2, 2006

That’s amazing

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did you know barbie dolls watch sunsets?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Love the bit where Coronabeth rattles all this dueling terminology off and Pal, one of the smartest people in the room but not about this because he could not give less of a crap, just in essence goes "buh?"

Yeah Pal is a very smart dumb person

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reclaimer posted:

She said in an interview that her kids hate when she does voices while reading them bedtime stories.

Hard to believe there's people out there who willingly have kids

mewse
May 2, 2006

Harrow has a ton of flashback sequences to book 1 that really, really benefit from having just read it

mewse
May 2, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

I made the mistake of reading Harrow after I'd forgotten much of Gideon, assuming it would remind me about anything important

:same:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

God it was so cathartic to hear Gideon's voice near the end again.

Yeah when I got to that part I was like "oh that's what I've been missing from the first book"

quote:

Still can't quite wrap my mind around what was going on with Gideon the First repeatedly trying to murder Harrow.

Nona sheds some light on this

mewse
May 2, 2006

The major tone change with Harrow prepared me for another tone change with Nona, and then Nona wasn't as mystifying as Harrow either so I enjoyed it more. I have Gideon as my fav, followed by Nona, followed by Harrow.

mewse
May 2, 2006

silvergoose posted:

What's the fourth flavor, I'm worried for Alecto now :ohdear:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Does the 2nd book ever stop being a corpse filled fever dream or is it like this the whole time

The big revelation about what's actually going on comes way too late in the book, IMO. It's better on re-read.

But yes it makes sense eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

I devoured Gideon and after a little bit of difficulty at the beginning, demolished Harrow and really loved the experience. I immediately ordered Nona and....have really had a hard time picking the book up. I don't know if I just need a break from the universe or I know I'm in for such a shift in tone and style and its gonna take some work to get into it. Anyway, I want to know more about the world! But somehow can't get myself to read about it, lol.

It's ok to shelve a book that you really want to read. One of my fav authors passed away, I got his last book as a gift for christmas, and I had it for 8 months before reading it because I knew once I read it there would be no more new books from him.

What you could do is wait until alecto is released (next year? i dont know what the current release date is) then re-read gideon > harrow, and read nona and alecto for the first time. This is basically what I did when nona was released and these are really good books to re-read.