Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Hey Goons,

about 3 years ago I had "An Idea"
about where VR would be not too far in the future, and I started making small personal progress to creating a startup to capture that.

Since then, I put forth a patent on the tech, created a Corp, built a website, got a prototype MVP working; building a foundation and biding time as this has been a solo operation for a while.

Then 2020 happened

In the first quarter of 2020 immersive tech profits doubled what the last 2 years earned combined!

... It also caused a huge seizure in the US of A

I don't live in silicon valley so my resources probably aren't as plentiful as someone in the west, but it's to the point where I can't keep doing this on my own, so I'm asking goons on the eve of a possible random SA shutdown for insight.

- Whats a good way to find like minded people? Before this happened I was able to network at a lot of functions, but since the pandemic broke out I've had to resort to online resources but unlike SA, other forums aren't as humble or caring :allears:

Besides, who else has the financial insight to spend money on an online forum :shepspends:

I'd also like to hear other startup stories if you have any, I know I'm not the only that's ever had to go through these kinds of hurdles but it'd be nice to hear how others tackled issues or overcame hurdles.

Edit: Added extra edits after posting

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'll join your startup dude.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'll join your startup dude.

Great, tell me about yourself random internet citizen. or do you prefer Mr. Grand Theft Autobot?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Amazing Member posted:

Great, tell me about yourself random internet citizen. or do you prefer Mr. Grand Theft Autobot?

No DMs???

I'm a data scientist. I work for a large business and I run my own consulting firm for side jobs.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Well yeah, I may be looking for insight but this is still the internet and this is still SA; I take most things here with a grain of salt but leave room for additional interpretation. Have you heard of goatse?

But sure, I'll DM you.

I should clarify my venture is in VR education and training for all you other lurkers out here :banjo:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/startups/

Big community.

Also, you need to post more details, eg your website, what the product does etc.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hey, I started a startup that got into Y Combinator. Anyone can join YC's startup school and work closely both other founders and even YC's advisors. I have also been wary of posting my specific company cause I say dumb stuff a lot and this forum touches the poop a lot. Shoot me a PM and we can chat offline if you wanna.

I'd be extremely wary of taking advice from reddit on startups. Bad advice can really send you down a bad path and you have the money in the bank/burn rate to find success or you die. Be careful who you take advice from. If they didnt start from nothing and grow to an exit that was better than an acquihire, try to get better advice. Also don't take my advice.

My experience so far: I can't stop being wrong. I'm wrong so god drat much. It a series of constant failures and constantly being wrong that, through measuring and learning and following the advice of The Lean Startup, YC's Startup School video series and our YC advisors has been growing decently for the last 6 months. Our burn rate is very low & $1M ARR seems doable finally after ~1 yr. Were definitely on the poo poo end of the hockey stick still.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 26, 2020

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Dominoes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/startups/

Big community.

Also, you need to post more details, eg your website, what the product does etc.

They lack the charm of folks here at SA, but also yes I reached out there as well. Casting my line in as many waters as I can, but I also know I don't know everything so I figured asking here wouldn't hurt either.

As for the product itself; it's a patent-pending education and enrichment distribution platform.

See, I found that there were more and more practical uses for VR but that there was not yet one place I could go to find what I was looking for; how to experience something educational and enrich myself from it.

Lemme give you an actual example; I'm a terrible cook.

Ok, I'm not terrible, but I put more art than logic into my dishes and they end up not tasting how you'd want people to associate your name with. I did some digging and eventually found some awesome VR experiences that went through how to make some basic dishes, it was fun and kept my attention and I got to learn how to make some tender tuna steaks with a garlic aoili sauce garnish.

Anyway, the hardest part was finding the course/experience itself! So, at that time I figured that if I was having this hard of a problem then I bet someone else is too. Low-and-behold, it's a common issue; great experiences, but where the hell do I go to find them?

So, I started working on the solution and that's where I stand right now.

I'll dm you the specifics/websites/etc

CarForumPoster posted:

My experience so far: I can't stop being wrong. I'm wrong so god drat much. It a series of constant failures and constantly being wrong

This x100, I remember having my initial pitch deck scrutinized by a business development consult and the amount of hoops I had jumped through just to get the data i was presenting, I think one thing I heard from there that stuck is that you might suck now but you can always get better :boom:

Sounds exciting though, congrats on your sustained burn!

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
You need an elevator pitch, friend.

Amazing Member posted:

- Whats a good way to find like minded people? Before this happened I was able to network at a lot of functions, but since the pandemic broke out I've had to resort to online resources but unlike SA, other forums aren't as humble or caring :allears:

What are you looking for? Co-founders? Employees? Mentors?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
How is it goin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Still looking for a technical co-founder, the ytstartup labs you mentioned before was a huge help though with networking with other entrepreneurs in my position.

Its helpful to know that a lot of other startups are having these same issues during this lockdown period.

I'm planning to go on Twitter and LinkedIn at the beginning of the new year and pitch there, think since everyone is kinda in the same hole maybe it'll produce better results, especially since it'll be after the holiday break and festivities.

How are your prospects? I remember you doing really well a few months ago, what news have you now?