Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Posting because Sid bullied me. This is something I've been thinking about recently....

The origin of "goons" as the collective term for SA members goes back a long time, like 2004, 2005?. Per the Saclopedia:

[quote=""Lowtax"" post=""438269595""]
Awful Link of the Day owner came over here back when registration was open to anybody and made a thread in GBS calling all of us goons for putting mean words in her guestbook.
[/quote]

IIRC, the actual context was something like "you and your goons," or "Lowtax and his goons" or something like that. The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax, someone working his nefarious intent. Funny at the time, no so funny now.

I think most of us would prefer a collective term that doesn't have the implied allegiance to lowtax. What do you think would be better? I have some bad ideas:

Awfuls
Awfulites
SAPs - Something Awful Posters
The Chosen Ones

There, Sid, I de-lurked. Happy now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'm very glad that you have made the transition from lurker to poster but this is one of the worst loving threads i have ever clicked on. don't let that discourage you from posting though let those things fly free in the night sky

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

yes i choose to be an elf now and sniff my own farts all day.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

0.04 per day

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I suggest GADS or gay-rear end dick suckaz well it's definitely true for me and I'm proud, so screw off

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
We're the goons of SA, not Lowtax.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
OP count how many times have you described yourself as a "Lowtax Goon" and then compare that to how frequently the phrase "SA Goon" is said, the results may shock you

Rad-daddio posted:

gently caress i cant believe i was beaten

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

The goons run the madhouse now OP

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

raspurtin posted:

Posting because Sid bullied me. This is something I've been thinking about recently....

The origin of "goons" as the collective term for SA members goes back a long time, like 2004, 2005?. Per the Saclopedia:

IIRC, the actual context was something like "you and your goons," or "Lowtax and his goons" or something like that. The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax, someone working his nefarious intent. Funny at the time, no so funny now.

I think most of us would prefer a collective term that doesn't have the implied allegiance to lowtax. What do you think would be better? I have some bad ideas:

Awfuls
Awfulites
The Chosen Ones

Still it's cool, you've got some balls

It's nice to meet you!!!

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Spinz posted:

Still it's cool, you've got some balls

It's nice to meet you!!!

Thanks, Spinz.

I've got some other thread ideas, might try another one tomorrow.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I assume all goons other than myself look like the goons from Popeye and you can't convince me otherwise

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I like your thread and I will continue to bully you and I think we should be called the something awful r words

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hammerite posted:

I assume all goons other than myself look like the goons from Popeye and you can't convince me otherwise

The Popeye episode where a Mexican shoots Popeye in the back of the head and the bullet bounces off Popeye's head and kills the Mexican man

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Rad-daddio posted:

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
:cripes:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

As we turn away from Lowtax, so to must we turn away from the word Goons

Henceforth, we are Snoogs

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

now i am a mummy i love roleplaying im going to put a mummies curse on the poster directly under me

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

oh no im not a goon anymore

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

oh no im not a goon anymore

thats right bit h im a mummy and now you are cursed to never have toes ever again you stupid bitch never fall for a mummies curse hahaha let this be a lesson to all goons.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

dead gay posters, or DGPs

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Do you have an escalator in your house?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Sid Vicious posted:

I like your thread and I will continue to bully you and I think we should be called the something awful r words

People sure do love that hurtful word

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
"The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax"

No its not

This is stupid

Im going to punch an elf

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
15 years and this is the best thing you could come up with OP? smdh

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

People sure do love that hurtful word

oh cool it's this guy again

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

other people posted:

15 years and this is the best thing you could come up with OP? smdh

I felt pressured. In retrospect, I should have made it a poll.

How about "goobers"?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
how about something like proud guys? or kool kids?

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

A Grand Egg posted:

"The implication is a "goon" is specifically a lackey of Lowtax"

No its not

This is stupid

Im going to punch an elf

There's also the historic connotation with Nazis, goon being what the US GIs called German soldiers.

GI: "There's three jerrys by the bridge, Murph"

Murph: "Let's take out those fuckin' goons"

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
morons

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What about henches?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

raspurtin posted:

There's also the historic connotation with Nazis, goon being what the US GIs called German soldiers.

No it's not you loving idiot. It's a generic insult, nothing specific to Nazis at all. You may as well say "motherfucker" has Nazi connotations because a Nazi gets called a motherfucker in Inglorious Basterds. Goddamn op how the actual gently caress are you this stupid? Mods please change this stupid gently caress's name to "velcro shoes".

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If we changed our moniker then I couldn't spell goons with a "z" like GOONZ. That would be too bad, OP.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

raspurtin posted:

Awfuls
Awfulites
The Chosen Ones

op you deserve to be bullied.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

raspurtin posted:

Nice try, but its so un-used or referenced that specific use is disarmed.

Goon is a ice hockey term more-so than a Nazi one, and who the gently caress cares about ice hockey

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gross
Old
Ornery
Neckbeardin’
Shitposters

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Goons
Obviously
Oblivious
Nuance

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
C'mon henchmen and women of something awful

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Joe Bogan posted:

No it's not you loving idiot.

just enjoying this honesty for a sec

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

threadfellows, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

did a dig in my shirts and found this ice hockey one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcer_(ice_hockey)