Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im a big "fan" of dimetrodon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I was gonna post that FYAD was an extinct species... but their back.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Seals and whales are freaky to me because when you think about the weasel-like creatures they evolved from it's like they've become deformed into some kind of nightmare creature, especially whales. Compared to their land-based ancestors they're a bunch of freaks. Otters are less upsetting because they look more like mustelids. Those are my thoughts on marine mammals lately.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

All these ancient giant crocodiles are cool, until you realize you'd never want to go by any body of water or boating with them around.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Dromaeosaurids were probably the coolest type of animal to have ever lived.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tekne posted:

All these ancient giant crocodiles are cool, until you realize you'd never want to go by any body of water or boating with them around.

Woah there's a level beyond deinosuchus??

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Purusarus was a chonky boi.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I had no idea how big any of those things were so I looked up the biggest one.

That's pretty big.

Edit: beaten :arghfist:

TIP fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 21, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thylacine, aka Tasmanian Tiger.

Around 99 or so, I remember a tv show called "Lost Animals of the 20th Century".
It was about... Animals that became extinct in the 20th century.

Also, passenger pigeons.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A spooky skeleton with just the skull.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 21, 2020

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

Thylacine, aka Tasmanian Tiger.

I have heard, that they have the genome, but it's all mixed up, and needs an advanced super or quantum computer that doesn't exist yet to sequence the DNA.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tekne posted:

I guess they weren't so much crocodiles as closely related species, but the ones who were fully aquatic and living in the ocean are really cool. I think in the first couple of million years after the dinosaurs went extinct some were fully terrestrial predators too.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, evolution has taken crocs/gators/caimans some weird places. The boar crocodile is a perfect example. Just imagine this bastard chasing you through a forest.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

That reminds me of one type of monster I'm kind of glad crocodilians outcompeted, koolasuchus which some may remember from the Antarctica episode of Walking with Dinosaurs. Don't like the idea of being eaten by a giant salamander, of course it couldn't be more horrifying than being eaten by a crocodile but amphibians freak me out a lot more than reptiles. There's something about the dead eyes and their movements. Frogs and especially toads give me the heeby jeebies.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You've gotta hand it to evolution when a design works like crocodiles and alligators it works

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Weka posted:

Dang does that top seal have a huge gaping hole in it's side?

It's a holy diver

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

wesleywillis posted:

Also, passenger pigeons.

I grew up in the former range of the passenger pigeon and Carolina parakeet, and reading about them when I was a kid made me really sad. :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Re: Passenger Pigeons, John J Audubon reported seeing a flock fly over him for 3 days.

Then people happened.

quote:

The notable decrease of passenger pigeons started when professional hunters began netting and shooting the birds to sell in the city markets. Although the birds always had been used as food to some extent, even by the Indians, the real slaughter began in the 1800s.

There were no laws restricting the number of pigeons killed or the way they were taken. Because the birds were communal in habit, they were easily netted by using baited traps and decoys. The birds were shot at the nesting sites, young squabs were knocked out of nests with long sticks, and pots of burning sulphur were placed under the roosting trees so the fumes would daze the birds and they would fall to the ground. Hundreds of thousands of passenger pigeons were killed for private consumption and for sale on the market, where they often sold for as little as fifty cents a dozen.

By 1850 the destruction of the pigeons was in full force, and by 1860 it was noticed that the numbers of birds seemed to be decreasing, but still the slaughter continued.

One of the last large nestings of passenger pigeons occurred at Petoskey, Michigan, in.1878. Here 50,000 birds per day were killed and this rate continued for nearly five months. When the adult birds that survived this massacre attempted second nestings at new sites, they were soon located by the professional hunters and killed before they had a chance to raise any young.

The concerned voices of conservationists had little effect in stopping the slaughter. Finally a bill was passed in the Michigan legislature making it illegal to net pigeons within two miles of a nesting area, but the law was weakly enforced and few arrests were made for violations.

By the early 1890s the passenger pigeon had almost completely disappeared. It was now too late to protect them by passing laws. In 1897 a bill was introduced in the Michigan legislature asking for a ten-year closed season on passenger pigeons. This was a completely futile gesture as the birds still surviving, as lone individuals, were too few to reestablish the species.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AFewBricksShy posted:

Then people happened.
Not for long, thanks to global warming they're functionally extinct. Most of them just haven't realised it yet. :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

At the prompting of Sid, I have come out of lurking to creat this thread to discuss extinct species that, sadly, did not live to the moden day to be turned into mistreated exotic pets and gimmicky hamburgers by humans. For example, Lystrosaurus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lystrosaurus

This frankly quite lovely animal, a dicynodont therapsid and distant relative of mammals, was about the size of a Labrador and utterly dominated the lower Triassic. And when I say dominated, I mean DOMINATED. The Permian Extinction Event basically killed off all its predators and all its competition, so their population exploded until they covered Pangaea, making up 19 out of every 20 land vertebrates for a few hundred thousand years. Imagine going for a walk outside and 95% of every animal you saw were, like, corgis or guinea pigs or something. Sadly, their reign of terror would end once literally anything evolved large enough to eat them, but still, its neat that more than even Homo sapiens, this garbage lizard-pig holds the title of single vertebrate lifeform to so utterly conquer the earth, solely on the virtue of everything better dying out first.

Good thread, OP. I've always been intrigued by that period before the ascension of the dinosaurs, when you had all these weird-rear end creatures who look like someone booted up Spore but then they had no inspiration whatsoever.

Spinz posted:

The giant rear end bugs that used to exist and trilobites, all that stuff is cool.

Yeah.

If I remember correctly, that was only possible because oxygen levels were much higher during that specific era than they are now.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Aug 21, 2020

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Into The Mild posted:

I was gonna post that FYAD was an extinct species... but their back.

FYAD is what is known as a "lazarus taxa", like the Coelacanth.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Whorelord posted:

just how well this nodosaur fossil was preserved is incredible

I saw this in person last month and it's pretty amazing to see the face of something hundreds of millions of years old looking back at you, moreso when you are looking at it on LSD

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Vim Fuego posted:

you've never seen a leaky seal before?

I think that's more a loose seal.

I know everybody knows about mammoths, but I only just learned that a population was alive until as recently as 3600 years ago. The Great Pyramids were old when the mammoths finally died out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/trevornace/2019/10/15/the-last-woolly-mammoths-on-earth-lived-on-this-tiny-russian-island/#439298057840

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Jose posted:

You've gotta hand it to evolution when a design works like crocodiles and alligators it works

Apparently the most successful version is the fat lazy one, too.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Laziness is selected by evolution across countless generations, I tell my mom and dad.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Mooey Cow posted:

FYAD is what is known as a "lazarus taxa", like the Coelacanth.

"I stood as if stricken to stone. Yes, there was not a shadow of doubt, thread by thread, post by post, ban by ban, it was a true FYAD."

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
only true connoisseurs of Cool Extinct Species will get that reference

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
palæontologists think Cretaceous starts with a K. idiots.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 21, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Re: Passenger Pigeons, John J Audubon reported seeing a flock fly over him for 3 days.

Then people happened.

Iirc they also didn't like to breed in groups of less than like tens of thousands. So even a group of literally thousands of birds wouldn't get their freak on. They should be renamed orgy birds.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Tekne posted:

poo poo, you don't even have to be on a boat to have this doofy gently caress face charge at you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdcewIjXi0

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Grevling posted:

That reminds me of one type of monster I'm kind of glad crocodilians outcompeted, koolasuchus which some may remember from the Antarctica episode of Walking with Dinosaurs. Don't like the idea of being eaten by a giant salamander, of course it couldn't be more horrifying than being eaten by a crocodile but amphibians freak me out a lot more than reptiles. There's something about the dead eyes and their movements. Frogs and especially toads give me the heeby jeebies.

I hated those in Dark Souls.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grevling posted:

I mean. Getting eaten by a giant crocodilian would be bad, obviously. But the thought of that blank-eyed slime-coated giant salamander silently gumming someone to death is somehow much worse.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
The masculine male

Am I right fellas? Feminized society, it's all yak yak yak all the time!

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Private Cumshoe posted:

The masculine male

Am I right fellas? Feminized society, it's all yak yak yak all the time!

Maybe in Tibet.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The Carboniferous Period is wild to me. The giant bugs that lived then are cool, but the weirdest thing to think about for me is the lack of decomposers. Early trees which were knocked over easily by wind would just sit around on the ground never being broken down. Combined with the much higher oxygen level there must've been some absolutely crazy fires.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The Carboniferous Period is wild to me. The giant bugs that lived then are cool, but the weirdest thing to think about for me is the lack of decomposers. Early trees which were knocked over easily by wind would just sit around on the ground never being broken down. Combined with the much higher oxygen level there must've been some absolutely crazy fires.

There's no real connection between the two. Fires occur every year, so it's not like fallen trees would build up to massive levels during the era and cause insane fires, it would be little different to the fires of today.

Plus there were decomposers, but the early trees of the period were far more resistant to decomposers than modern trees. Back then most species of trees had more bark than wood, and the sap content in this excess of bark protected them from decomposers.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mesozoic avians and other feathered dinosaurs are cool because together they serve as an excellent illustration of evolution over nearly a hundred million years, with nearly every step neatly preserved. Some species are so well preserved, we actually know the color of their plumage:

or at least, the colors of Sinosauropteryx's feathers on its tail, and people have extrapolated from there in various directions.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 22, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There's no real connection between the two. Fires occur every year, so it's not like fallen trees would build up to massive levels during the era and cause insane fires, it would be little different to the fires of today.

Plus there were decomposers, but the early trees of the period were far more resistant to decomposers than modern trees. Back then most species of trees had more bark than wood, and the sap content in this excess of bark protected them from decomposers.

I sometimes think about how grass has only been around for a few dozen million years (?), so the flora as well used to look very different from now

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

how about crocodile with hooves so it can run its prey down on land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmdcewIjXi0

or the awesome buzzsaw shark Helicoprion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicoprion
there are some amazing renders of it.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Mesozoic avians and other feathered dinosaurs are cool because together they serve as an excellent illustration of evolution over nearly a hundred million years, with nearly every step neatly preserved. Some species are so well preserved, we actually know the color of their plumage:

or at least, the colors of Sinosauropteryx's feathers on its tail, and people have extrapolated from there in various directions.

Wow it's brown.
Thank you science.