Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Also, we're clearly going to have to nuke America and China to solve the global climate problem

finally, something to look forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Civilization isn't collapsing.

But America is.

I remember watching Armageddon back in the day and I thinking America was going to get taken down a peg or two very soon. It really is peak american exceptionalism put to film.
I guess it kicked off with 9/11 but since then it kind has been eating itself alive with a big old glass of racism, greed and paranoia. It would be fascinating to watch if the UK wasn't doing it's best to copy that poo poo show and collapse itself too.

Civilisations don't end all of a sudden. It's funny in a way. When you learn about the Roman Empire and it tells you that the time between the Pivotal event that marked the decline of the Empire and the official End of it was 100 years, doesn't sound THAT long really. But I think we are living through one now. Look at this list of factors that historians consider to have assisted the fall of the Roman Empire-

quote:

Political instability due to size of empire

The self-interest of the two halves of the empire

Invasion of barbarian tribes (one for the right wingers here)

Government corruption

Mercenary armies

Over-reliance on slave labor (hi Amazon)

Massive unemployment and inflation

Like chuck 'the internet allowing anyone to create stupid conspiracies' in there as well and that is eerily similar to what is happening out there. I loving hate it.

Basically this song is going to be the end result of wherever this goes.

"And as things fell apart, nobody paid much attention"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2twY8YQYDBE

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
hey look it's Rondette.

haven't seen you in a while. hello.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The pivotal event happened decades ago imo some of us just might see this thru!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strumpie posted:

hey look it's Rondette.

haven't seen you in a while. hello.

. . Hi?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

hello

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Hi, how are ya?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Hi, how are ya?

Thinking about the slow, stupid end of our period and wondering what future historians will make of us.

VvvvvvvV wasn't that due to The Conquistadors though? I'm also in no way a historian but while our tech has changed, humans haven't.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 21, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm not a fan of the notion that we can look to how past civilizations (it's always Rome) collapsed to model how ours is going to go down. The Aztec civilization fell in a matter of months - I guess you could drag that out to years or decade if you really wanted to nitpick but we don't use that as the model for what to expect.
The world we live is different in many fundamental ways from any past civilization. We really don't know how/when it's going to collapse. We just know that things don't look promising.

Don't forget about war. There's still war. We're still gonna have wars and most of the nukes are still aimed where they were 30 years ago. It can end overnight.

Rondette posted:

Thinking about the slow, stupid end of our period and wondering what future historians will make of us.

VvvvvvvV wasn't that due to The Conquistadors though?

And smallpox. The point is they didn't expect conquistadors or small pox to end them.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 21, 2020

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Covid is definitely speeding things up, what I am saying is the rot set in decades ago.

Cherube Goldberg
Nov 15, 2014
It’s probably likely that ‘civilization’ in a global sense will truck on but modern ideals of of standards of living and what we consider ‘normal’ sure as poo poo won’t

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's good that America is dying. Except for assisting the Russians in destroying the Nazis in the 40's they've basically just been a huge drag on the world anyway.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Colonel Cancer posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world :angel:

Agreed. Get yourself a pair of assless chaps, some home-made armor and weapons, and a barely legal catamite.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Junk posted:

i am looking forward to taking a giant wet sloppy DUMP on the hood of your car op

Jokes on you, I don’t have a car and probably never will

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I don't think so it's mostly that the cheeto in charge has no idea what to do. He acts like a fascist because power and gimmes are all he knows. He's corrupt up and down. He's a bad leader. With this Corona virus poo poo all Trump needed to do was address the nation, and at the end of his speech put on a mask, and say that America needs to fight this together, blah blah blah and everyone would be happy and he would secure a second term. But he waffled and did neither. The dumb gently caress geezer corrupt sexist soft boy president that America elected is only fit to sit at the kids table.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Id rather America go out with some serious war hawk families. Lets get Jeb! Back in the fight. A meaner tougher Jeb!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I know Hillary and John Kerry just want to blast Iran. Let's do it you babies. Instead you elected a fucker who can't tie his own shoes.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

yeah lets start a world war quick

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Lol at the goons thinking this is referring to the US. The US is barely civilisation anyway lmao

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

If America wants to live in peace I first suggest not being so insane.

He he strikes fear in others constantly lives in fear.

I'm paraphrasing but your national psyche isn't healthy.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Jakabite posted:

Lol at the goons thinking this is referring to the US. The US is barely civilisation anyway lmao
The new world was a cool place to start fresh from the old euro times but it just got right back to the old problems but faster this time

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

America was always just Europe v2

And then Europe became Europe v2 as well

It's all the same crap

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Rondette posted:

VvvvvvvV wasn't that due to The Conquistadors though? I'm also in no way a historian but while our tech has changed, humans haven't.

What are your pivotal event and your date for the fall of the Roman empire?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Weka posted:

What are your pivotal event and your date for the fall of the Roman empire?

It was over the second Romulus killed Remus.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Once anime was introduced into the roman empire, all was lost

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I like how these days people are saying "its ok of youre feeling overwhelmed and stressed out, were all in this together" like, im glad that were acknowledging that most of us are unhappy with things and that nobody finds it confusing if you are kind of miserable.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Every single aspect of comparing our modern society with the decline and fall of Rome, especially the 'metrics' posted previously, is stupid hosed.
It is the most out of focus way possible to take an extremely high level look at something and say "those words do indeed sound similar to this other situation". It's akin to looking at the Book of Revelation and going "aha, truly these ARE the end times".

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I like how these days people are saying "its ok of youre feeling overwhelmed and stressed out, were all in this together" like, im glad that were acknowledging that most of us are unhappy with things and that nobody finds it confusing if you are kind of miserable.

I just parrot those sayings to lull those around me into a false sense of security. As soon as the bombs drop and we're all in my basement the collars go on and the cannibalism begins.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’m pretty sure people think the world is ending at least once a century, it’s just some bad stuff is happening right now and most of us aren’t used to that

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

When is Neo-Gengis Khan gonna show up and kill like a billion people? I'm getting tired of waiting, I want my COVID bloated corpse catapulted into a major metropolitan area.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
e: n/m this is a nice thread

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 21, 2020

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Colonel Cancer posted:

The pivotal event happened decades ago imo some of us just might see this thru!
in 1989, after the first international panel on climate change, world leaders decided to double civilization's total carbon output with another 7 Mount Everests worth of emissions

only now do we understand

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
i dunno the fall of civilization in the usa will be like the road and here in aus it'll be like mad max.

I look forward to forming a car gang in the desert

naem
May 29, 2011

Lucky Guy posted:

When is Neo-Gengis Khan gonna show up and kill like a billion people? I'm getting tired of waiting, I want my COVID bloated corpse catapulted into a major metropolitan area.

https://i.imgur.com/55j4zLZ.gifv

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Horsebanger posted:

i dunno the fall of civilization in the usa will be like the road and here in aus it'll be like mad max.

I look forward to forming a car gang in the desert

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

What's with the dumb black and white version love that a lot of people have for this movie? Those desert colors are gorgeous.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Starting an apocalypse world game for anyone interested in joining, its set in the distant future of September 2020

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Waiting patiently for the power to come back on and then the water cuts out! My city council will hear about this!

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Why do americans suddenly feel like the world is ending just because of covid and police brutality or whatever is going on locally on your lands when it is in fact, the climate crisis, that we've known about for years now, that is going to gently caress us all up much much much worse. I hope your politicians are still talking about that poo poo cuz the world won't make it without Americas help either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fartbox posted:

Why do americans suddenly feel like the world is ending just because of covid and police brutality or whatever is going on locally on your lands when it is in fact, the climate crisis, that we've known about for years now, that is going to gently caress us all up much much much worse. I hope your politicians are still talking about that poo poo cuz the world won't make it without Americas help either

oh, word?