Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

BattleCON! Now with a new and improved TTS module

You know how the L99 thread goes into periodic cycles of "Hey wouldn't it be great if we had a league or something" and people post :same: and then we forget about it for 6 months? Well, I'm breaking the cycle.

How the league is going to be run

I have created a challonge page for the league. Round robin format, 1 game per opponent. The top four winners will have a double elimination tournament for the crown.

What are the rules for the actual games

(PROVISIONAL) Pick three characters before the start of the tournament. Before the match start, each players blind bans one of their opponent's characters. Then blind pick one of your remaining characters for the first game. Losers can change character on loss. Matches will be best 2 out of 3.

Have you ever run a league before?

No, so if you have any suggestions regarding the above let me know.

What module are we using?

The Official TTS Module.

When is this tarting?

Signups will end next Friday on the 28th of August.

Mains Choices:
Tekopo: Alexian/Wardlaw/Demitras
PMush Perfect: Cadenza/Burgundy/Shektur.
Infinity Gaia: Clinhyde/Cesar/Cindra
ZeroCount: Cadenza/Cherri/Kaija
GutterOwl: Tanis/Sarafina/Lixis.
Andarel: Baenvier/Lymn/Kaitlyn
Jivjov: Alexian/Anya/Eligor
M a x: Magdelina/Shekhtur/Cindra
TheNabster: Neuromille Kei/Burgandy/Wendy
TheCog: seth/maladrax/kajia
Fenn the Fool!: Seth/Jager/Kora
Krysmphoenix: Lymn/Cindra/Kehrolyn
Lemon-Lime: eligor/shekhtur/merjoram
Baron Fuzzlewhack: Gerard/Amon/Alexian.
AMoose: Oriana/Iri/Kallistar

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm in.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I'm in

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Make sure you sign up on Challonge so that it automatically does the round robin for us.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Well this should be interesting since I only really played one character on Battlecon online and haven't played much offline at all.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
When are you planning to get this started? My schedule's kind of all over the place right now, but I'd love to try and make time to actually play BattleCON for once.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

Do we have a discord channel somewhere? It'd be neat to get some practice matches in to learn the module.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Plz give me bye rounds until solo characters are implemented.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It's been a loooooong time, but I'm in and signed up!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I haven't played in a while and was never particularly GOOD at the game, but I'm up for giving it a try again.

Edit: I'd also be up for some practice matches at some point, looking at the module it seems like they changed the wording on effects since last I played. Also they changed some stuff on my main and I wanna play around with it to see how it feels.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 21, 2020

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Hell yeah I'm ready to get pantsed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why a blind pick instead of the normal pick/ban system?

Also yeah, it might be an idea to wait a week or so until the promos are hopefully in.

(I say this as a Merjoram player. :P)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I prefer blind pick because I don’t want people to be forced off their mains if that’s what they want to play. This league is more to encourage games rather than be fully competitive. If people want to have a pick/ban system that’s fine, we can do that instead, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'd rather blind pick because I can pretty much only play about 2.5 characters with any degree of competence and I don't have nearly enough knowledge of the full game matchups to counterban properly anyways. But that's just me, I'm kind of a total casual about this game. I played quite a bit of BCO, but very little PaperCON.

Also if anyone plays the newest set characters I'm going to be COMPLETELY lost. I at least know about all the old set characters and have a vague idea of their gimmicks (even if some of them are inscrutable, I still don't know what the gently caress Gaspar is doing ever), but the new set is one I've literally never even looked at.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'd like to give it a go, is it the mod by 'Alice'?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2182704749 I believe is the most up to date mod.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I made a discord server so we can arrange practice games and such: https://discord.gg/tfxPH2

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'd rather blind pick because I can pretty much only play about 2.5 characters with any degree of competence and I don't have nearly enough knowledge of the full game matchups to counterban properly anyways.

The opponent can only ban one of your characters, so you only need to know how to play two characters anyway. Just fill the third slot with something you have no intention of playing but that makes a convenient ban magnet, and go on to play what you actually want.

The pick/ban system is great because you can ban anyone from playing Seth or Cherri or Malandrax or Arec (or you could actually ban whoever is the worst matchup for your three characters, but honestly gently caress the fun police :colbert:).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 21, 2020

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Lemon-Lime posted:

The pick/ban system is great because you can ban anyone from playing Seth or Cherri or Malandrax or Arec (or you could actually ban whoever is the worst matchup for your three characters, but honestly gently caress the fun police :colbert:).

I thought those characters were reworked and are supposedly more in line power-wise now?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It's not so much the power level as the fact that they're loving infuriating to play against. And I say that as someone who loves playing Cherri.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If people are okay with it, I wouldn't mind a ban system if people really don't want to face a specific character.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

If people are okay with it, I wouldn't mind a ban system if people really don't want to face a specific character.
I also nominate Thessala and Endrbyt.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well I think the idea is that before the match you pick three characters, then your opponent gets to ban one, then blind pick your first character from the two remaining.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Well I think the idea is that before the match you pick three characters, then your opponent gets to ban one, then blind pick your first character from the two remaining.
Oh, okay! That's not so bad.

I still want to ban Thessala and Endrbyt.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Rules have been changed as follows:

- Pick/ban (tentative depending if people strongly object to it)
- Due to the number of signups (12!), you are only going to face each opponent once in the round-robin.
- Top cut is now 4 people, with a double elimination tournament.
- Current schedule is two matches per week.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

I thought those characters were reworked and are supposedly more in line power-wise now?

They're balanced, which does not make them fun to play against.

In all fairness, 4.0 did try to make them slightly less no-fun-allowed (by nerfing their hard control options and buffing other stuff) but them being a chore to play against is just part and parcel of the control archetype.

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, okay! That's not so bad.

I still want to ban Thessala and Endrbyt.

Thess is actually sane now. :v:

Endrbyt is still tournament legal with the same proviso as before (you make your Endrbyt at the start of the tournament and don't change him between games).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The pick/ban system is described here, for the record: https://www.level99games.com/blog/2017/8/12/tournament-formats-for-battlecon-exceed-and-pixel-tactics

The relevant section:

quote:

When entering the tournament, each player brings and registers 3 specific characters to compete with. They will be using these 3 specific characters for the whole tournament. Before each set, both competitors are able to ban one of their opponent's characters. This is done blind. After this, the competitors simultaneously pick their first fighter and play the first game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So yeah, can people let me know if they are okay with the pick/ban system as given above? It does mean locking in mains, but I think overall it'll help people and also allow them to practice against specific matchups before a match is due to occur.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I’m trash, count me in once I figure out the thing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Considering the roster is 80-strong in the mod right now, actually locking in mains before the tournament starts is going to save everyone a ton of headaches and indecision mid-tournament.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cadenza/Burgundy/Shektur. :colbert:

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
I'd like to play in this, but I can't get the module to do anything. Maybe it's because I'm trying to set it up alone though, I know the scripting on TTS gets picky.

EDIT: Yes, it is absolutely because I'm trying to set it up alone, figured it out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think i'm going to lock in my mains with Wardlaw/Alexian/Eustace

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I have played this game once, so I need to gather who I think I'd like playing.

My tentative first look at the mans have given me some ideas I just need to narrow it down.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I feel like a sane person would have a balanced set of three mains that all do different things and play different roles to adapt to the picks/bans.

Unfortunately I'm not sane so if we're doing pick/ban I'm going with Clinhyde/Hepzibah/Xenitia. Even though I don't know how to play Xenitia, I figured I might as well go for a themed party.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I'm still figuring out mains

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like a sane person would have a balanced set of three mains that all do different things and play different roles to adapt to the picks/bans.

Clearly, a sane person would pick the same archetype three times, because that way the opponent can't stop you from playing a counter-attacker. :unsmigghh:

I'm waiting for solos to hopefully get added soon to pick mains, since I play Merjoram. :rip:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Heck, I'll just go with what's fun. Cadenza/Cherri/Kaija.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ZeroCount posted:

Heck, I'll just go with what's fun. Cadenza/Cherri/Kaija.
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

For me.