Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....
I looked though but didn't see an aftermarket tech thread anywhere here, unless it was over a couple years old as I tend to not revive old threads...

I am looking to add some additional items to my motorcycle and looking for recommendations. I bought a single USB charging jack to plug my phone into as I track my rides. I connected it to the battery as nothing will be plugged into the port when not riding. however when I start the bike the phone loses the charging status. So I would like to add a power distribution block in as I want to add heated grips and maybe some aux lighting as I live out in the middle of nowhere and would like a little more side illumination.

The goal is to keep the wiring clean and not pulling too many amps to drain the battery while using the accessories. and to use switched power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I've played around with a few solutions for this. I didn't have much luck with the power distribution blocks I tried (too flimsy, spotty connections) but I've heard good things about the PDM60. It's solid state and self resetting so no fiddling about with fuses. Avoid the Denali powerhub2.

If you live in the middle nowhere I'd be wary of using a non-switched circuit that could potentially drain your battery for you if you don't have a kickstarter. Depending on your bike you probably have a switched wire somewhere you can tap for output.

One solution is to have a switched circuit trip a relay that opens the connection to the battery only when the bike is running. This way you aren't drawing a lot of power from the switched circuit wire (which probably isn't heavy enough for your needs).

Have you worked out how much current you are likely to draw?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
How many ground effects LEDs are too many?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The PDM60 as mentioned is good, but expensive ($200 for a fuse block, solid state or not, is pricey IMO): https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rowe-electronics-pdm60-power-distribution-module

If you want to go balls out with wireless control and automation (e.g. pair your power block to your phone to automatically turn on your heated grips when it drops below 60F) you can drop $250-350 on one of these: https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com/

I have an FZ1 distribution block installed under the seat in my Multistrada; simple installation, clean, works well, less than half the price of the PDM. I run the trigger wire off of one of the factory power outlets on the bike, and have aux lights and a separate SAE pigtail I feed into a tail bag running off of it. I still have a couple of circuits to spare.

You can always use something like a Blue Sea fuse block too; they're relatively inexpensive compared to the motorcycle-specific stuff, but they're bigger, making it harder to find a spot to mount them on the bike.

Strife posted:

eww

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

There is no upper bound to taste, friend. Go nuts!

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
The fact that your phone stops charging when you start the bike is very weird, is that a temporary thing while the starter is spinning or does it stop charging altogether?

Many bikes already have various (switched and fused) aux connectors, look into that before adding extra hardware. Sometimes they use weird plugs though.
My 701 had switched and always-on spade connectors, I just plugged Wago blocks into those and used that for my stuff.
My Tracer 900 has only weird plugs, however small spade connectors still fit over the pins of those so I could use them in a similar fashion.

I have had a bad experience with hooking up stuff directly in the battery, my GPS lead had a very slight short and would drain the battery in two weeks.
I wouldn't leave an USB plug connected even with nothing plugged in, as it contains electronics itself.

I also have a question:

These Official Yamaha Led Indicators don't even come with the right plug for the bike they're supposed to go on, and they come with resistors instead of a led relay, which I think sucks.

These look almost the same and are way cheaper, I could buy adapter leads and a led relay and still come out ahead.

Does anyone have experience cheap (though not directly from China) led indicators and would they be worse than the official product?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Rizoma signals cost $100 each and they still come with resistors - if you're swapping from incandescent to LED signals, no matter who makes them, it's pretty much guaranteed you have to replace the flasher relay.

Looks like it will cost you in the neighborhood of 125 Euro just for the Yamaha signals? Chances are the Chinese signals will be dim pieces of poo poo, but they're 1/10th the cost. FYI in addition to harness adapters, aftermarket signals for Yamaha usually need a blanking plate where the factory signal connected - like like these

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Rizoma signals cost $100 each and they still come with resistors - if you're swapping from incandescent to LED signals, no matter who makes them, it's pretty much guaranteed you have to replace the flasher relay.

Looks like it will cost you in the neighborhood of 125 Euro just for the Yamaha signals? Chances are the Chinese signals will be dim pieces of poo poo, but they're 1/10th the cost. FYI in addition to harness adapters, aftermarket signals for Yamaha usually need a blanking plate where the factory signal connected - like like these

Yes I'd also need blanking plates.
The Yamaha signals are 80 euros a pair, they also have fancier ones with daytime running lights, those are ~120 a pair. The cheapos are something like 35 the pair.
It's one of those things where it wouldn't have cost them much to just stick on led indicators from the factory, but apparently they've got a warehouse full of 90s bulb indicators they need to use up first.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

High Protein posted:

Does anyone have experience cheap (though not directly from China) led indicators and would they be worse than the official product?

I put some on my DRZ and they stopped functioning properly before I got home on my first ride.

They still “work” but some diodes don’t work and the internal controller just does weird things.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

High Protein posted:

The fact that your phone stops charging when you start the bike is very weird, is that a temporary thing while the starter is spinning or does it stop charging altogether?

Many bikes already have various (switched and fused) aux connectors, look into that before adding extra hardware. Sometimes they use weird plugs though.
My 701 had switched and always-on spade connectors, I just plugged Wago blocks into those and used that for my stuff.
My Tracer 900 has only weird plugs, however small spade connectors still fit over the pins of those so I could use them in a similar fashion.

I have had a bad experience with hooking up stuff directly in the battery, my GPS lead had a very slight short and would drain the battery in two weeks.
I wouldn't leave an USB plug connected even with nothing plugged in, as it contains electronics itself.

I also have a question:

These Official Yamaha Led Indicators don't even come with the right plug for the bike they're supposed to go on, and they come with resistors instead of a led relay, which I think sucks.

These look almost the same and are way cheaper, I could buy adapter leads and a led relay and still come out ahead.

I can almost guarantee that the yamaha LEDs are made in china as well. cyclops sells some sequential signals that they swear up and down are made stateside but they are exactly the same as the ones sold on amazon from china for $16 for four (cyclops wants $80 lol)

anyways, before I swapped to rizoma leggeras in the front and an integrated brake / signal in the rear I ran a set of chinese rip off KTM powerparts LEDs. all I had to do was buy some JWPF connectors and strip the wires and plug them in. easy peasy. crimping a resistor shouldn't be a big deal either

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

right arm posted:

anyways, before I swapped to rizoma leggeras in the front and an integrated brake / signal in the rear I ran a set of chinese rip off KTM powerparts LEDs. all I had to do was buy some JWPF connectors and strip the wires and plug them in. easy peasy. crimping a resistor shouldn't be a big deal either

Where did you get the KTM/JWPF connectors? I have a 701 and basically want to make a plug-in adapter so that I don't have to mess with the bike side harness.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Captain McAllister posted:

Where did you get the KTM/JWPF connectors? I have a 701 and basically want to make a plug-in adapter so that I don't have to mess with the bike side harness.

I'd double check your plugs, I know some KTMs/huskies use the standard bullet connectors, but I do not know if the 701 is one of them. might just be the 500 / 501

anyways, I bought them here: http://www.cycleterminal.com/jst-jwpf.html. might be able to find them elsewhere for cheaper, but I like these since they came with the terminals so you don't have to steal them from your old lights

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

right arm posted:

I can almost guarantee that the yamaha LEDs are made in china as well. cyclops sells some sequential signals that they swear up and down are made stateside but they are exactly the same as the ones sold on amazon from china for $16 for four (cyclops wants $80 lol)

Did we say "made?" we meant to say "assembled!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

REPACKAGED IN THE USA :patriot:

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

High Protein posted:

Sitting still and not running it charges and doesn't drop connection. Start the bike and it quits, then starts, then quits, rinse repeat over and over again. So I suspected a lack of current which I have still not went back to look into as I have been busy with other things to sort it out. Though I will most likely work on it Monday if it isn't raining.

As far as auxiliary plugs there is a 4 port connector under the passenger seat that I assume is the diagnostic port for reading the ECU. I will have to look a little deeper into it as I have not yet bought the shop manual for it as of yet.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I can recommend easternbeaver, got me a plug-and-play harness kit for my Honda.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

tikka_zamayid posted:

Sitting still and not running it charges and doesn't drop connection. Start the bike and it quits, then starts, then quits, rinse repeat over and over again. So I suspected a lack of current which I have still not went back to look into as I have been busy with other things to sort it out. Though I will most likely work on it Monday if it isn't raining.

As far as auxiliary plugs there is a 4 port connector under the passenger seat that I assume is the diagnostic port for reading the ECU. I will have to look a little deeper into it as I have not yet bought the shop manual for it as of yet.

I have lost track of the number of motorcycle accessory websites with this layout.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The dude makes wiring harnesses for a side gig. HTML/CSS/JS talent, and graphic design skill overlap is pretty common, but take that Venn diagram, throw "DIY electrics nerd" into the mix, and it ends up as very small, separate circle over in the corner of the page.

Further proof - cycleterminal.com and others, as you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

I liked some of the ideas, especially the one mentioning the auto grip heaters. I didn't even think of doing something like that. As for the LED's my bike came with LED's from the factory and I like them... As far as underlighting... meh...

Since my last post in this thread (been a while, I know) I took out the USB charger that I originally bought as I think to was just crap quality to begin with.

I added a fuse block, then bought a higher quality USB jack to charge my phone while riding which works much better that the one I wrote about originally. Though this is getting ready to change soon (possibly) It is switched so I can turn it off when not riding to prevent the battery getting drained. I also added some after market aux lights, since I live out in the countryside and like to see more of what's on the side of the road waiting to jump out. I bought a on/off/on switch so I can switch between white and the amber on them. I installed them on the forks they seem to work well. Though I need to rework the connections as the amber side isn't working.

I am thinking about replacing the phone mount with a motorcycle specific GPS then have the phones connected to it then my headset connected to the GPS. though seems to possibly create additional point of wireless failure. Though generally I just ignore the phone when riding...