Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

1redflag posted:

Ugh, this made me remember that I watched “Dark Angel” because I was so into Jessica Alba when I was younger. Still worth it

From the mind of James Cameron!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

He had a bit about suddenly fainting for no reason like that’s something that happens to everyone. Like you know, when you’re about to black out and the moment you’re losing consciousness and about to hit your head on something, you say one last wacky thing like “cinnamon bits”. He plays it like fainting spells are as common as sneezing and not some undiagnosed condition Dane Cook has. I hope he went to a doctor about that.

Edit: unless of course he stole that bit from Louis CK

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 25, 2020

bartok
May 10, 2006

I had a weed dealer in the early 2000s that loved Dane Cook but he eventually channeled that energy into being a huge Jim Jefferies guy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bartok posted:

I had a weed dealer in the early 2000s that loved Dane Cook but he eventually channeled that energy into being a huge Jim Jefferies guy.

Could be worse.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Barudak posted:

Jessica Alba is rich as all hell now thanks to the Honest Company which is why you've not seen her in anything and probably wont see her in anything again.

Forbes has her net worth at $340 million. Her company is valued at about $1 billion.

gently caress doing any work after that.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Bogus Adventure posted:

lmao, he's trying to get that bogdanoff look

Now I have a question:

Whatever happened to Bizonacci?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They showed his dick in American Gods

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fabulousity posted:

If you hate Dane Cook do yourself a favor and watch Mr. Brooks

Kevin Costner is kinda okay as a crazy psychopath but the whole movie is worth the payoff involving Mr. Cook in the end.

I appreciate that someone else remembers this movie exists

It's p good

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1redflag posted:

Ugh, this made me remember that I watched “Dark Angel” because I was so into Jessica Alba when I was younger. Still worth it

you're goddamn right it was

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Chewbecca posted:

Oh no that's unfortunate

I totally had a thing for Dane Cook back in the day, but now he looks like a blow up doll approximation of himself

Same here, except with Bam Margera. Tragic.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

YeahTubaMike posted:

Same here, except with Bam Margera. Tragic.

this checks out, all my straight friends in hs wanted to gently caress both cook and margera!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

esperterra posted:

this checks out, all my straight friends in hs wanted to gently caress both cook and margera!

Dane Cook was so plain though. What was there to like? What was there to dislike?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

one of life's great mysteries

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

<--- Peter was and is by far, the superior comedic Cook. :colbert:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Fried Watermelon posted:

They showed his dick in American Gods

How was it?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Chrs posted:

How was it?

moist

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Young people these days will never know what it was to be age 17, high as gently caress, sitting on a couch with two good friends, in a room where a 32 inch CRT TV on mute plays footage of Iraq being blown up, listening to Dane Cook's opus Harmful If Swallowed and laughing your freakin' balls off. Maybe after it was done playing you were going to drink some Mountain Dew, eat some Domino's, and watch a rented movie from Blockbuster.

naem
May 29, 2011

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Forbes has her net worth at $340 million. Her company is valued at about $1 billion.

gently caress doing any work after that.

https://i.imgur.com/Eb4iHUk.gifv

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Dane Cook was the poo poo back in the day. My girlfriend and I used to listen to his CDs and find the standup videos on Kazaa. He had an approach that got a whole new demographic into standup comedy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Young people these days will never know what it was to be age 17, high as gently caress, sitting on a couch with two good friends, in a room where a 32 inch CRT TV on mute plays footage of Iraq being blown up, listening to Dane Cook's opus Harmful If Swallowed and laughing your freakin' balls off. Maybe after it was done playing you were going to drink some Mountain Dew, eat some Domino's, and watch a rented movie from Blockbuster.

Same, but it was Patton Oswalt and Daniel Tosh.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
hannibal buress and eric andre are really the only comedians that get any laughs out of me these days. the format of standup is way outdated and idk if it can survive

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
nate bargatze did a special on netflix that i enjoyed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Standup is an outdated format, now to excavate this ancient rakugo theater.

youre
Dec 30, 2019

He still tours a bit and does the lovely podcast circuits. Obvs he is waylaid lately by the Wuhan. As bad as he was, compared to today's Netflix/Instagram comedians he was a virtuoso.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I remember when comedy meant something. like when you could masterfully retell a joke someone else wrote about an itchy rear end in a top hat.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish there were more comedians who just did other peoples bits, but upfront about it. Like, let me come to a show and watch somebody take me on a whirlwind tour of the best standup comedy bits and I applaud their carefully studied form and artistry as I contemplate the buddha through Henny Youngman one liners

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Imagine if there were no cover bands, and no one could ever do covers, and there were no traditional songs.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Harveygod posted:

Now I have a question:

Whatever happened to Bizonacci?

"but doctor... I am Bizonacci!"

Thank you folks I like to think of myself as a young Dane Cook.

youre posted:

He still tours a bit and does the lovely podcast circuits. Obvs he is waylaid lately by the Wuhan. As bad as he was, compared to today's Netflix/Instagram comedians he was a virtuoso.

Yeah he appeared out of the ether to do a few podcasts about a year ago. This is partly why he thinks everyone hated him. Because he was a "fashionista" with a twist... that twist? being whacky!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ3NoIWL1ug

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

dane cook got me laid so I harbor him no ill will

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bogus Adventure posted:

lmao, he's trying to get that bogdanoff look

Are these the Kipper Kids?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Barudak posted:

I wish there were more comedians who just did other peoples bits, but upfront about it. Like, let me come to a show and watch somebody take me on a whirlwind tour of the best standup comedy bits and I applaud their carefully studied form and artistry as I contemplate the buddha through Henny Youngman one liners

I agree with this. Modern art culture places far too much value on novelty and originality in art when execution is extremely important. I really like folk music and theatre and I have very strong opinions on which productions and performances of my favorite songs/pieces are best. Word placement and body language and other small details can make or break a stand-up routine and it would be great to compare and contrast different performers versions of 7 dirty words.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I agree with this. Modern art culture places far too much value on novelty and originality in art when execution is extremely important. I really like folk music and theatre and I have very strong opinions on which productions and performances of my favorite songs/pieces are best. Word placement and body language and other small details can make or break a stand-up routine and it would be great to compare and contrast different performers versions of 7 dirty words.

I feel like it depends on the jokes being stolen/covered tbh. Like a comedian who draws a bunch from their personal life or has a very unique bit, I can understand being furious when someone stole it. But a spin on some basic-rear end observational humour literally anyone could come up with, and surely more than one person thought of it before? Who gives a gently caress.

I feel like stand up is just a little bit different from say music or film or theatre in that sense. A personal song can be sung by anybody but a personal anecdote spun into part of your comedy set isn't quite the same.

idk if that makes any sense i'm high and have barely slept but y'know

anyway I'd rather listen to a Dane Cook set than an Amy Schumer set

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think humor is very personal, often, obviously, and maybe doing bits of still living artists isn't the best route, but they are ultimately performances meant to be viewed. I know I mentioned it off hand but Rakugo is an 800 year old standup tradition (alongside its younger two man format Manzai) and some bits that are part of the rakugo cannon were at a time a particular performers personal bit.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Barudak posted:

I think humor is very personal, often, obviously, and maybe doing bits of still living artists isn't the best route, but they are ultimately performances meant to be viewed. I know I mentioned it off hand but Rakugo is an 800 year old standup tradition (alongside its younger two man format Manzai) and some bits that are part of the rakugo cannon were at a time a particular performers personal bit.

buddy i watched that one rakugo anime in the early days of quarantine. i'm basically a rakugo expert now.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

lol he turned into Weinstein.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I reckon he's pretty good

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Dane Cook and Cane Dook

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

thetan_guy42 posted:

hannibal buress and eric andre are really the only comedians that get any laughs out of me these days. the format of standup is way outdated and idk if it can survive

John Mulaney’s horse in a hospital skit is hilarious

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

ELI PORTER posted:

he looks like if Kramer was a Munster

Why is his face getting longer

All I can think about when I hear Dane Cook is that Chris Flemming bit about spending super bowl sunday with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Skratte posted:

Why is his face getting longer