Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why do people just give me things? Do I have that kind of face? Is it pheromones? The guy I bought my table saw from just sent me an e-mail. HE'S GIVING ME A FREE loving SCROLL SAW!!!*@*!!! OH AND AN ENTIRE DISASSEMBLED ONE TOO!!!!$9!!!! Why? No idea. Maybe he thinks I'm cute. I don't really give a poo poo. I am now feeling like this is just happening too much for it to be random coincidence. I am loving falling rear end backward into free poo poo and I don't know what I did, cosmically, to deserve it. Someone come and touch my hand for good luck. I might be blessed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

just like the prophecy has foretold... you are the chosen one

I loving KNEW IT!!! TAKE THAT EVERYONE I HATED IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Internetjack posted:

Maybe you were not Ghengis Khan in a previous life, and you just did some cool poo poo and helped people out, and now in this life you are reaping positive karma stuff.

I warn thee though, be wary of gifted tools. An ancient lathe, would destroy my garage, a gifted scroll saw will only break blades and not saw a thing, a sanding table that would not track and rip the papers apart... Perhaps it is me though, I may have been the Ghengis Khan in a previous life.

Grats on the free tools though, that is always fun to play with new toys.

This jives with the many past life regressions I have paid for. I am freakin' jazzed out of my mind to play with this cool rear end tool. It's loving vintage too which just makes me drat salivate.

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Sounds like he's trying to unload a bunch of DNA-contaminated evidence upon you. You might even get a free deep freezer before it's all said and done.

What are the odds I could get a good pair of shoulder height chemical gloves from this guy????

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

therobit posted:

Are you still using the danger mill?

I haven't in a while. I'm flush in project wood right now so I just haven't had a reason. I need someone from the south of me to bring me a shed limb of myrtle really really badly. I have the tiniest bit and I loving love it and desperately want more.

gary oldmans diary posted:

can finally cut all those scrolls you have lyin around. maybe put together a proper tome to learn the spells permanently

I'll finally have a way to deal with all this papyrus.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
This is the big day. In EXACTLY 3 hours I will be in possession of one FREE assembled scroll saw and one FREE disassembled scroll saw. THIS IS IT PEOPLE.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's the face, really.

I am pretty.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think they saw right thru you

:vince:

But seriously always wear protective gear.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Michael Corleone posted:

Did you get the saw yet OP? We want to see some sexy pics of it!

Leaving my house in a half hour then 45 minute drive there, probably bullshit for a few, 45 back then I will post the most sensual of scroll saw pictures. You'll be pullin' at your collar, Mikey.

Spinz posted:

If I but lol at his empty quote I mayst be healed

*quietly speaks latin*

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I have recieved the free scroll saw. Behold:

Here's the "ready to go" one. It's a 1955 Dunlap

Here is the one that's ready to be restored, also came with the original motor. Placards are all worn so until I find something stamped in the metal we don't know what it is beside some Craftsman model from some time

Guy also gave me A loving VICE THAT I HAVE NEEDED FOREVER BUT THEY ARE LIKE HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS!!!!

Let us rejoice.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

iamjohnsalt posted:

What do you use scroll saws on?

Me? Wood. But since they use coping saw blades you can, very carefully, cut metal with them too.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 22, 2020

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Spinz posted:

I rejoice in the bounty of our Lord. Verily you are the Lord of Posts and praise be unto the one true Lord Mod also.
:amen:

That amen smilie is the height of just-too-muchery. I love it.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I found a pdf of the user manual for the Dunlap. I'm supposed to fill the crankcase with auto oil. I mean, I know the thing is nearing 70 years old but this is some extremely old-school poo poo right here.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Michael Corleone posted:

Nice pics OP so sexy, but show me the size of the blade that goes on there, I think my dad has like 5 of these and iirc correctly the little blade that goes on it wouldn't cut anything well, but i have no clue about anything.

It takes a 6" coping saw blade. I mean, they're tiny but I've used many to cut silly shapes and never had a terrible problem with blade distortion. Granted I was using a hand-tool.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Michael Corleone posted:

Cool yeah, that is what I thought they were, best of luck! Might get one of my dads and try to do some cool poo poo too. Plus like the go up and down real quick so that helps too. Like would you cut a 2x4 on there or is it for smaller sizes?

This saw has about a 4" throat but, no, it wouldn't be my first choice for such a job. It could but that is in the realm of miter saws and table saws. Mostly it'll get used to cut down my hobby boards into stuff that's small enough for me to work into jewelry. Also cutting out some more exotic forms for silly projects.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Empty Sandwich posted:

crape myrtle, or is that a different thing? GIS is of limited help here

Oregon myrtle. It's endemic to a part of the oregon dunes 30 or so miles south of me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm not going to drive 3000 miles to bring you the wrong wood or will I :wink:

I mean, I always welcome a stranger with hardwood.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

therobit posted:

I'm kind of disappointed we never saw anything you made with the scroll saw posted in this thread.

I'm making rings in 5 minutes live, they were cut last time with my new FREE scroll saw:

Literally A Person posted:

My shop is a mess, I'm tired and look like a wreck. I'm gonna be schleping around this evening @ 7:45 pst. Come see me at my worse if you want to deserve me at my best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQsPF7XnSg

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

therobit posted:

Wow that must have been some fine detail cutting to do something that small. I am sure there's a good reason you didn't use a hole saw for it, but what is that reason?

I use a hole saw to cut out the inside of the ring. I cut all of the holes out of the board with the scroll saw so I get some nice little blanks I can take to the grinder. I used to do it with my ryoba saw. It took too long and gave me much more material to remove when I moved onto the grind. Last week I showed that process on the laboring stream. Also I just wanted to show off my new cool saw.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

inkmoth posted:

The real question I have is can you use the assembled scroll saw to further disassemble the disassembled scroll saw into scrolly bits

A good question. Yes. Yes I could.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I. M. Gei posted:

Also I’d prefer them all to be new cuz I don’t really like getting used poo poo. For anything, really, but especially for big rear end sharp tools that can kill you.

New tools are pretty much trash tier. Early 70's or older for a tool that will last a literal lifetime and then also another lifetime.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rutibex posted:

unless you want a handplane, then you want 1940's or older

:smug::respek::smug:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

therobit posted:

My father in law has a radial arm saw from the 70s. It's in the back of a garage covered in stuff and he won't let me unearth it to use. Guess I'll have to chop my hand off with my cousin's lovely miter saw instead.

People are always getting rid of old arm saws for near nothing and I'm always very suspicious.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

therobit posted:

I think their real strength is being able to handle much larger pieces of wood and being able to lock down and cut a straight line. I don't think a lot of people really need them if they aren't building cabinets or something and you have to make a lot of space to take advantage of their strengths, so I imagine that's part of it. Plus they are renowned for cutting off limbs if you use them the wrong way and a bunch of millenials and zoomers are terrified of that kind of thing because they never got shop class.

My table saw does all of that and more. Not that it doesn't seem convenient but it just seems like a tool that just wouldn't get used enough.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

wesleywillis posted:

Are you the goon that made the danger mill with a chainsaw?

Why yes, yes I am. :tipshat:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Valko posted:

Heya, LAP!!! I checked some of your videos and noticed you've only got 2 subscribers. Now you have three!

Finally, I've hit the BIG TIME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'll have to unsubscribe to keep the balance

Welp, back to the depths of obscurity with me.