Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

honda whisperer posted:

Suprise hero of the day.

Costco had these last weekend for 2x for $40. Rechargeable, stupid bright, magnets in the stand. I'm blown away by how much I like them.

i split one of these 2-packs with a friend, and they are quite good. i think the magnet could be stronger, and the battery doesnt last as long as you might think at full power, but hell for $20 these are but minor niggles

interested to see how that exhaust coating holds up. looks like a lot better option than spending way too much on ceramic coating, or just leaving it bare like normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hellll yeah.

Two things for the header:
1. A few days ago noticed that my steering rack boot has a good hole where the over pipe passes, I'm guessing this was caused by the heat from the header. Maybe your coating will save you :)

2. You're going to need to dent the under tray a bit for clearance in a few spots, depending on how stiff your motor mounts are.

Front pipe going in too? :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'll update on the coating as time goes on.

Thanks for the heads up on the boot, I'll keep an eye on it. Denting and installing the under tray once I'm home from work. Dongles sitting on the front porch!

As for the front pipe I'm staying stock ATM. When it turns into a track car I'll install it but I want to keep at least the secondary cat for street use.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No rattles no leaks. Got it flashed successfully and took a quick test drive / got the first datalog.

Was a very boring low throttle low rpm test so I'll give it a couple more days before the tuning effort post.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Second drive Friday, full rpm range and full throttle. Went well. Should hear more Monday.

Meanwhile.... EVERYONE CHANGE PLACES!

Back when I first bought the header from sharky I said gently caress it and ordered casters for the lift too. I'm not doing any lift stuff on the civic ATM and they'll be required soon enough.

Of course they show up the day after I button up the header install. Not so much as a "they shipped" from advantage lifts. I'd have waited. Oh well there are some other things I'll need access so I cleaned everything off the lift and got the wheels back on the civic.

It's a very clever design. Had the neighbor come over and lend a hand sliding the whole assembly over.

Ahh sunlight.

Then he told me he was trying to make space in his shed and would I like a ton of wall mount shelves and a couple compressor tanks.

Uhhh the shelves for sure... Tanks?

Add make an offset smoker to the project list.

Spent the rest of the day tearing down and redoing shelves.

And what's left.

Home Depot run tomorrow for sure.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got the email today tunings done and I can drive it. Hooray.

I figure there's been enough heat cycling to give it another torque check.

Ahhh not crawling around is amazing. Probably did the whole thing in less time than getting it on stands would have taken.

Coating check. Probably an hour of driving, lots of full throttle / high rpm. The real test will be autox or better a track day.

The only issues are places I scratched it. No discoloration or bubbling. I'd say it's still the good stuff with a big I haven't tracked it * right there.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

In civic news I'm giving up on zinc plating everything myself. I'm glad I messed with it and I'll keep the stuff to hit bits and pieces as they need it but a mass let's do the whole engine will take to long.

So I pushed forward stripping the last of it off. Img dump for backup / reference later.

Ewwww....

Inside looks ok but where the gasket was is crispy.

I'll probably stay late after work tomorrow and sand blast everything. I'll bring it home for wire wheeling, then out for zinc.

It's gonna be a box of bolts and misc all jumbled together. That'll be fun.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

honda whisperer posted:

Got the email today tunings done and I can drive it. Hooray.

I figure there's been enough heat cycling to give it another torque check.

Ahhh not crawling around is amazing. Probably did the whole thing in less time than getting it on stands would have taken.

Coating check. Probably an hour of driving, lots of full throttle / high rpm. The real test will be autox or better a track day.

The only issues are places I scratched it. No discoloration or bubbling. I'd say it's still the good stuff with a big I haven't tracked it * right there.

Looks good. What rad color will you do next time so that if you ever flip folks will be like "wow, that is horrific, but my man has excellent taste"?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Much like the model T it comes in black.... and black.

If not for that purple and teal stripes would probably work.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 23, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Big stuff got the appliance epoxy.

Before:

After parts washer / sand blast.

Wire wheeling / beer now. This is where a polisher / tumbler would shine but I'm not buying one for a one off. An ultrasonic cleaner would be amazing too.

I called the zinc place today about prep and while they do prep they're not going to deal with heavily soiled stuff so it's on me to make it fancy.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Why move the lift?

Time to bring an old foxbody back from retirement.

Factory five challenge car. I used to work on this thing and the owner wants to trade prep for seat time. I am very much game.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

With the BRZ mods done, the civic being mid engine refresh, and a new track car project, I've gotten to work making an offset smoker.

My thought process is this: with the weather getting better I'll be spending more time in the garage. On the weekends I'll need to make food. What better way then something that requires me to be there for a long time but little moment to moment intervention.

Step one measure the better looking air tank and make a model in fusion.

This is heavily eyeballed. The only close measurement I got was the tank circumference. But good enough for material approximations. Last Saturday I went to the recycling center and rummaged around for a bunch of close enough.

I didn't take enough pics but rough story is I brought the stock back to work and chopped it up to size +.25" then milled it to finished size.

Using a knee mill seemed like the best option. Not pictured was using fusion to program the control to add the radius to the end of the legs. Using cam software this style mill is weird but surprisingly effective.

This was mostly done after work Monday and Tuesday since the weather was crap but I knew Wednesday would be nice.

Got home tonight and went for it.

That's everything for the base tacked only. I can't believe how well the radius on the legs fit from measuring the tank with a tape measure. Before I started in a machine shop all the car stuff was made with a band saw, belt sander, and some air tools. Having every part cut to exact size and very square felt like cheating.

So anyway I started mig welding. Mig is not my area of expertise.

(Looking at the preview these pics look better than real life. Pic 1 is ideal. 2 was way to built up off the part and for ground. 3 is a mix of both.)

Settings off the welder door. I felt like I was getting it right at the end. Vertical welds were the worst by far, corners the best.

Thank God it's unimportant and I have a grinder.

You people alone will know my shame.

At this point it's late enough that I need to quit with the loud tools and I've got another idea.

Most off the shelf smokers have their exhaust at the top. My plans are roughly based on Aaron franklin's designs. They put an emphasis on having the exhaust inlet at the same height as the tray the foods on. His designs have a large box welded on to allow this but maybe there's an easier option b. Franklin style is represented in the model I made.

I think if the exhaust started horizontal and then bent up I can skip the box all together and get the same effect.

Enter the pie cut.

I started by marking the tube with a line on both sides 180 out. The bandsaw I kicked over to 7.5 degrees. Should give me 15 degrees per slice which will round nicely to 90.

Each cut I measured 1.5" and flipped it.

Tomorrow I'll sand blast the rust off and tig it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cool side project and those welds are better than any boogers I've ever laid.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

On more than one occasion I've welded something, ground the welds and then laid another bead so it looks better.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Cool side project and those welds are better than any boogers I've ever laid.

I'm not unhappy with them, but I also don't want to do the r/welding lemme flex on the perfect flange that I've been doing for 2 weeks rainbow thing either.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

On more than one occasion I've welded something, ground the welds and then laid another bead so it looks better.

You and me both lol.

Today I borrowed a laser level from a friend and laid out the door. Little blue tape and a lot of cutoff wheel. I started with the normal air tool style but it was slow AF so I switched to the angle grinder. That was much faster and much much harder to see and control. Back to the air tool.

One really good piece of advice I found online was to cut most of it but leave the corners and setup the hinges, then finish it. I did the holes for the handles at the same time.

A little welding later.

Cheap door hinges, some m6 weld nuts, and a little leftover accord.

Speaking of leftover accord, I needed some kind of standoff from the door that could hold a round thing.

Two rods later and it's got some personality. I don't want to get steam punk and just weld a bunch of gears to it but if you have any ideas to repurpose car parts functionally I'm all ears and think it would fit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The exhaust needs equal length headers. EGT gauge for pit temp.

Planning on adding any sort of temp/fan control? Seems pretty slick on charcoal setups and great for helping maintain temps. I only ever had a propane one that I could leave for 8 hours or so without touching it and it was really nice. Charcoal I hear is more futzing with it to maintain but some people like that.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Long tubes out the side would be awesome.

I looked for a minute at the thermoworks fan setup. Fan itself is cheap enough but the controllers are not. I'm sure there are less expensive options and probably a lot of people mixing a raspberry pi with PC fans but I'm hoping to skirt the edge of another rabbit hole.

It seems like something I can add on later easily enough so I'm holding off for now.

All I've got experience with is my friends electric smoker (holds temp perfect, mediocre at actually smoking) and using my base model weber kettle (temp control is nearly impossible and requires constant attention but it's actually on fire so the smoking parts better)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Last night I got back to cutting stuff up.

This is the opening for the fire box.

All I can see is hurrrrr

With the opening there I idiot checked by tossing a piece of the fire box at it. It was close enough.

Time to start tacking stuff together.

Double idiot check. Yep still fits.

This let me trace the cut I'll make in the firebox. Plan is to offset it an inch to leave a lip at the bottom so any grease the escapes to the very bottom can't reach the fire. There will be a tray and drain above.

I called it a night there. This morning I headed into work to cheat.

Starting with the air vents for the firebox door.

Using a normal prototrack is a lot of fun. It's slow enough you can do more sketchy setups without having everything perfectly planned out.

Also the door won't fit in the one I have access to. But the cover for the vent would.

A whole afternoon of welding at home later and I've made a safe from fallout.

I think I really love doing metal fab stuff. I'm feeling the same enthusiasm for this I did when I was building the cage. Suspension was ok but making the rear sway bar was great. Brake lines sucked. Engine / zinc bolts / picking parts etc sucked all the fun out.

Or maybe winters finally ending and the sun's out. Probably that.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Came for the Honda, staying for the smoked meats. Honestly though, this is a wonderful development and hope you make some ribs soon.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

nitsuga posted:

Came for the Honda, staying for the smoked meats. Honestly though, this is a wonderful development and hope you make some ribs soon.

Cool. Ribs are on my short list of things to make for the first run.

More progress today. I figure the more of the firebox I get done on the bench the less I have to bend over.

All that was really left were a couple sections for the door to seal against, and a couple risers for the grate to sit on so I can scoop ash out easily. There is much debate online about raised fire or on the floor and door open or shut. I can always leave the door open and grate out so in they went.

Plus a latch and it's ready.

Time to prep the inside of the air compressor.

That was a nasty brown cloud.

Now how to hold everything up and make it level and square. Not shown is a scissor jack under the tank for fine adjust.

Now don't move while I tack you.

Not pictured welding the whole perimeter where they met, filling the corners I over cut, or the worst, stupidest place possible for the weld to get contaminated. Top of the firebox near the middle it went to hell and left an inch of porous lava rock looking suck. That I couldn't reach with a cutoff wheel or angle grinder. They'd all get within 1/4" but never actually touch. Lots of hacksaw and hand file later it was good.

I now understand the grinder tree from project binky. Also I need a corded grinder or 5. The DeWalt is great for short bursts but the huge wire cup runs maybe 5 minutes.

I hear the not cheapest harbor freight is fine if you repack the grease or something like that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the one-step-above-cheapest HF is decent with real grease.

Or you can buy a Makita or Milwaukee or DeWalt or German Metabo.

or one of each, in different sizes

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That is a very nice meat box. Sometimes projects like that are a nice distraction from the more tedious parts of putting a car together.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I have bosch grinders and they work fine, plus they were $15 on sale when I got them.
https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-1375A-2-Inch-Angle-Grinder/dp/B00004SUOU?th=1

I suspect anything on sale is fine - they probably all come from the same place.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

That is a very nice meat box. Sometimes projects like that are a nice distraction from the more tedious parts of putting a car together.

Thanks. It has been refreshing.

Grinder chat they were $$$ at home Depot Sunday. I think I'll finish this project with what I've got and keep an eye out for a real sale. Definitely in the it would be nice but isn't stopping me range ATM.

Small update today from Monday being Monday and having to do some stuff after work.

There's two kinds (actually a lot more but generally) of smokers. Offset and reverse flow.

Stolen from Google

Basic idea as far as I can tell is that a normal smoker will have a solid hot spot next to the firebox that calms down the further away you get. The reverse is supposed to be more like an oven. It makes sense, the plate in the reverse flow should absorb and distribute the heat and hopefully make the whole thing more even.

It's weird reading forums posts about something I don't understand because it looks like they're fighting about whether or not rotas are good wheels but I can't tell the rpf1/te37/rota posts apart.

But! They are consistent on the trick being to figure out what you've built after you use it and work it's peculiar character to your advantage. Put stuff that wants higher temp in the hot spot etc. If what I was making was huge like a lot of these seem to be sure but mine will be big enough to make A Thing. I can't really put food a on one side and b on the other.

More average everywhere seems like a win so I'm going for the more complicated reverse flow on attempt 1. Also it seems to have better grease control.

I've got a 16" scale and it seems to lay naturally about halfway between the bottom and where the grate will live so boom, sorted. Enter the CAD.

I didn't take pics in the middle. Oops.

I eyeballed the center and poked a hole for a leftover chunk of cage tube. This will be the drain. Then I cut the template into 4 chunks and made the half seen above. Once they're tacked in I'll redo the other two in poster board because angling everything down shifted it a little. With any luck the drippings will head for the center, down the tube, and out into a bucket. Leave a hole on the right, weld the rest.

Only worry is if I perimeter weld this its going to be hell to remove if I want to make changes. Apparently there is high temp food grade sealants that might work? Tack welding could work if the fitment is near perfect. Or send it. I'm not sure.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

honda whisperer posted:

Only worry is if I perimeter weld this its going to be hell to remove if I want to make changes. Apparently there is high temp food grade sealants that might work? Tack welding could work if the fitment is near perfect. Or send it. I'm not sure.

even though there would indeed be a gap if you only tacked it, and some smoke would indeed get through that gap, would the conductance through the gap be significant compared to the intended path?

if not, you might only get a few % of the smoke leaking through the cracks, which seems like it would be not a big deal if that's how it works out

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Probably? And easier to weld it later vs cutting it out. Especially if there's an issue with something else.

Looks like most people just drop them in. I'm gonna try it.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 5, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Much cutting and welding later.

The guy with the other EF from work lene me his plasma cutter. I'm in love.

And now for the grate.

It's late and I'm tired so didn't take as many pics or feel like a thorough explanation but also pretty straight forward.

Last step I coated everything with paint still on it in that citristrip stuff. With any luck after work tomorrow I can scrape the paint, finish the grate, add an exhaust, and fire it up.

Good odds I'll actually finish the fabrication tomorrow and set it on fire Thursday.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I want a fun manual transmission car to drive. I've been looking at new cars but I did always like the idea of a 7th or 8th gen honda civic si. Please discourage me, or give me tips, thank you

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
8th Gen Si is a great car, buy one

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

That stick placement in the 7th generation always weirded me out.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

bi crimes posted:

I want a fun manual transmission car to drive. I've been looking at new cars but I did always like the idea of a 7th or 8th gen honda civic si. Please discourage me, or give me tips, thank you

You are in the wrong thread to get talked out of a civic. Fun and manual isn't enough to go on though. Well it is but Miata is always the answer then.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

4" holesaw vs steel speaker makes a noise. Not a happy one either.

Broke out the tig.

Not pictured scrubbing and scaping all the paint stripper off. Worked very well. If there's ever a next time I'll start with the paint stripper.

Couple things to plug tomorrow plus a little more welding and it's time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

8th Gen Si is a great car, buy one

Agreed. My only reservation at this point would be finding one that hasn't been abused by a chucklefuck that doesn't know what they're doing.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Also special shoutout to the Acura RSX if you can find one that is not totally clapped out, super super fun cars - the base has the 160hp 7th gen Si motor and the type S has the revvy 200hp k series from the 8th gen Si (or a close relative of it) .

I had a base rsx and it was super fun, plus hatchback.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The seventh gen Si is a good car, but slow. The shifter placement is awesome. It is a great candidate for a K24-with-one-of-the-good-K-series-heads-on-it swap.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed. My only reservation at this point would be finding one that hasn't been abused by a chucklefuck that doesn't know what they're doing.

Yeah, I guess that is the challenge :smith:

PBCrunch posted:

The seventh gen Si is a good car, but slow. The shifter placement is awesome. It is a great candidate for a K24-with-one-of-the-good-K-series-heads-on-it swap.

Yeah, K24 RBB head can still make more than enough power and those motors are $800-1k pretty much all day. I was looking at putting a K20 head on the K24 I am putting into my BRZ until I started adding up numbers. It made a lot more sense to go the 4Piston CNC'd TSX head route given current used K20 head prices :(

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 7, 2022

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

K20s are black magic to me. I speak fluent b/d/h etc but k stuff was texa$ when I got out of cars.

Got home today on a mission from God, so not a lot of pics.

I added some casters, strips around the door to help seal it up, made the grate for food to sit on, and drilled holes for the temp gauges.

It's heating up now and I'm sitting on my rear end with a beer watching.

It heats up very slowly, temps on both sides seem very close to each other. Hopefully it'll be low intervention.

Ribs tomorrow!

Definitely need a temp safe handle for the firebox door. Vise grips are covering it ATM but something's needed. Also I plan to reinforce where the casters are hanging out in the breeze. And ad some kind of table for food/tools off the front or side. But that's all fine tuning and I figure does it work is worth testing first.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thing’s a real beaut. Tuning in for the ribs.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Also in for the ribs, that's an amazing smoker and I bet it was a lot of fun/frustration to make. But I am also totally appreciating the non-K series Honda motor content!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Voltage posted:

Also special shoutout to the Acura RSX if you can find one that is not totally clapped out, super super fun cars - the base has the 160hp 7th gen Si motor and the type S has the revvy 200hp k series from the 8th gen Si (or a close relative of it) .

I had a base rsx and it was super fun, plus hatchback.

Seconding this, I had a 2004 Type S and it was the best. I still miss it.