Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjv_yFgHYc0

Great Pretender is an original anime series directed by Hiro Kaburagi, written by Ryota Kosawa, and produced by Wit Studio in association with Netflix. It follows small time scam artist Makoto Edamura as he gets wrapped up in the international wheelings and dealings of big time con man Laurent Thierry. The 23-episode anime is split into four "cases," following each of Laurent's cons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr5yBBAR9Tg

Makoto Edamura (Chiaki Kobayashi/Alan Lee)
A small-time con man who aspires to greater things, a failed scam leads to him becoming Laurent's partner in crime. Nicknamed "Edamame" by Laurent.

Laurent Thierry (Junichi Suwabe/Aaron Philips)
An expert con man from France, he operates as a gentleman thief of sorts, only targeting the rich, powerful, and corrupt.

Abigail Jones (Natsumi Fujiwara/Kausar Mohammed)
Laurent's second in command, an abrasive woman with an athletic body honed by years of ballet.

The first 14 episodes, comprising the first three cases, are currently streaming on Netflix, with the fourth and final case set to premiere on Netflix Japan on September 21.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I watched this on fansubs, it was all extremely good. Can't wait for the final case.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also forgot to mention that the ED is literally just Freddie Mercury.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm really glad Wit got a reprieve from adapting gloomier stuff for long enough to make something like this, it's a treat visually. Best-looking anime of the year, at the least.

The only real complaint i have so far is overuse of the sappy insert song in case 3, i think it played 4 times in 3 episodes.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I love the ultra-saturated background art in this show.

Everything else is pretty good too

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Watched the first ep thanks to this thread and oh my gosh this show is great.

No mercy!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I was all in on Deca Dence being show of the season but this show man, wow.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm a couple of episodes into case two and it's been really good so far. The backgrounds in this show are all so pretty.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Im on case 3 and... new hair! <3

Also sad backstory time again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this show is so much fun omg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Abby grew out her hair and it's fuckin' CUTE

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm into this.

I have issues with the ED, though. Like, I love Freddie Mercury, I love that song, love the cat theming and animation :3:, but it feels like they used it simply for the title relevance (Or vice versa, named the series after the song), the actual song has no bearing on the content of the show.

Granted, this is not an uncommon thing in anime OP/ED vocal songs. It's just more apparent and jarring when the song's in English-as-a-first-language.

e: I'm only like three episodes in, I hope they do a bit more of the language confusion i.e. calling Edamura Edamame or the "Confidence men!" "...condensed milk?" gag. I also liked the start of episode one having them speaking both Japanese and English before that pop-up "We're just going to be translating everything into Japanese English now."

Dareon fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 10, 2020

MMania
May 7, 2008

Dareon posted:

I have issues with the ED, though. Like, I love Freddie Mercury, I love that song, love the cat theming and animation :3:, but it feels like they used it simply for the title relevance (Or vice versa, named the series after the song), the actual song has no bearing on the content of the show.

Granted, this is not an uncommon thing in anime OP/ED vocal songs. It's just more apparent and jarring when the song's in English-as-a-first-language.

e: I'm only like three episodes in, I hope they do a bit more of the language confusion i.e. calling Edamura Edamame or the "Confidence men!" "...condensed milk?" gag. I also liked the start of episode one having them speaking both Japanese and English before that pop-up "We're just going to be translating everything into Japanese English now."

As someone who has watched the first three cases and is madly looking forward to the fourth, they do eventually tell you what the deal with the ED is. Please let me know if you also jump out of your couch and yell "gently caress yeah" when you find out! And yeah the smash-cut to "ok, that's enough Engrish" was awesome.

Anyone else rewatch it yet? I went through the first con again the day after I binged the series and I enjoyed it way more the second time, there was a surprising amount of stuff there that seemed specifically placed for viewers who already knew what was going to happen. Also the sound design is really really good and easier to appreciate when you're not trying to keep up with the crazy twists. In the first case they have no music in the scene where Laurent and Abby get "gunned down", in a show where no jazz=A Serious Moment for the most part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MMania posted:

As someone who has watched the first three cases and is madly looking forward to the fourth, they do eventually tell you what the deal with the ED is. Please let me know if you also jump out of your couch and yell "gently caress yeah" when you find out! And yeah the smash-cut to "ok, that's enough Engrish" was awesome.

I just finished case 3 and I think I....missed this?

E: Is it the ring and who I'm assuming is Dorothy at the end?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 11, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GrePre_anime/status/1306881963022839811?s=20

CASE 4

CASE 4

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
yessssss

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh man I hope the good speedsubbers are back.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
just watched case 4. really loved the surreal shoe drop in ep 22.

can anyone tell me what's happening in D.C. during the final episode?

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh man I hope the good speedsubbers are back.

while I can't talk about it, netflix rips are the go-to. all's well as there is significantly more language shifting this case.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the final arc exceeded my expectations. what a good show. still can't believe how good the color design is throughout

skullhead tethyis posted:

can anyone tell me what's happening in D.C. during the final episode?

not 100% sure but i took it as a jokey implication that laurent is running some new con so big it involves the US president

MMania
May 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I just finished case 3 and I think I....missed this?

E: Is it the ring and who I'm assuming is Dorothy at the end?

Haven't been keeping up with this thread (what a shame to see so little discussion for such a great show) so I lost my chance to say: "yes." Not that I could have even begun to guess the full story behind the ring, or how deep down the rabbit hole this show went. Here's hoping we get some chatter once Netflix releases the last case!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Disregard this post.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 25, 2020

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just finished watching this after letting it sit on my watch list for a while, and it’s been pretty good overall so far. Without spoiling much, does this fourth case give Laurent some characterization? ‘Cause he’s been the biggest blank slate of the main cast so far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1319394571487301632?s=20

Case 4 is hitting internationally November 25

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

I just finished Case 4, and yeah, this is one of my favorite shows I think ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Considered watching this on my own. Decided not to out of lack of energy. One week later my loving parents call me in to watch it with them. We just finished the first case.