Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Bruce Sterling talks about a type of cultural temperament that the quotes and images itt made me think of. Here’s a quote of him speaking in 2009. Though this speech is a decade old now, Chairman Bruce is a futurist so he tends to be ahead of the curve. I’ve actually thought of this speech a lot in the last 10 years.

quote:

In Gothic High-Tech, you’re Steve Jobs. You’ve built an iPhone which is a brilliant technical innovation, but you also had to sneak off to Tennessee to get a liver transplant because you’re dying of something secret and horrible.
And you’re a captain of American industry. You’re not some General Motors kinda guy. On the contrary, you’re a guy who’s got both hands on the steering wheel of a functional car.
But you’re still Gothic High-Tech because death is waiting. And not a kindly death either, but a sinister, creeping, tainted wells of Silicon Valley kind of Superfund thing that steals upon you month by month, and that you have to hide from the public and from the bloggers and from the shareholders.
And you just grit your teeth and pull out the next one. A heroic story, but very Gothic. Something that belongs in an eighteenth century horror novel. Kind of the “man in the castle” figure.
Or from a political aspect. The ultimate Gothic High-Tech figure: Nicolas Sarkozy. You’re Nicolas Sarkozy, you’re brilliant, you’re poly-ethnic, you have no ideology. You don’t care about any particular line, political line, and you have no alternative. You sucked all the air out of the political room, it’s just all about you.

There’s very little you can do about Sarkozy because there’s no way to debate him. If you debate him, you just make him stronger. If you ignore him he simply steals your clothes. So the only thing you can do is wait and hope that he changes his mind. And he will, because he will cheerfully campaign against himself.
He will reboot. In six months or eight months, it’s like “Oh, you didn’t like my gangster bling-bling Sarkozy, well how about my top end literary guy Sarkozy? You didn’t like wife number one, wife number two, how about the new one who’s the cool folk singer?”

These are Gothic High-Tech figures, people who position themselves in the narrative rather than building any permanent infrastructure. That’s what you’ve been telling each other to do all day. That’s why you love these guys. They’re positioning themselves in the narrative rather than building any permanent infrastructure. They’re cheerleaders, they’re not leaders. They’re cheerleaders.
And if the narrative happens to be poverty, floods, air-crashes, drug addiction, infidelity, whatever, they’re going to be good to go.

The flip-side of Gothic High-Tech is downmarket, and it’s called “Favela Chic.” Favela Chic.
What is Favela Chic? Favela Chic is when you have lost everything material, everything you built and everything you had, but you’re still wired to the gills! And really big on Facebook. That’s Favela Chic.
You lost everything, you have no money, you have no career, you have no health insurance, you’re not even sure where you live, you don’t have children, and you have no steady relationship or any set of dependable friends. And it’s hot. It’s a really cool place to be.
Full speech transcript:
https://www.wired.com/2011/02/transcript-of-reboot-11-speech-by-bruce-sterling-25-6-2009/

This image of Julian Assange and his legal team was from about a year after this speech and really fit the theme. I often recall this picture when feeling a particular 2010 sense of dread.

As time goes on, the sub context here gets stranger as the Assange story continues to be written.

Things have certainly changed in a decade, but mostly in the way that everything has just continued to collapse at varying, but ultimately increasing rates. Seemingly inevitable, because there is no one left in charge who remembers work that isn’t grift.

Anyway, here’s a more contemporary and explicitly American example of this aesthetic, from Monday at the RNC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

shamelessly stolen from the Trump thread

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria has issued a correction as of 10:51 on Sep 8, 2020

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Malkina_ posted:

:stare:

This is art.
lol I didn’t even see the ghoul in the far right until I posted this. at least, not consciously

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

___

___

is it just me or is whoever behind these ads applying this weird color filter that's producing this effect

lol it looks like someone who just discovered tilt shift and heavy Instagram filters. I guess it could be a digitally applied fish eye lens, but it sucks. they’re trying to be real dramatic and it shows!

DarkEuphoria has issued a correction as of 09:34 on Sep 2, 2020

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

he’s so far away

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

today the sky was grey, which was actually worse on the ground. orange meant the smoke was so high up it was scattering the light. grey means it’s down here getting in lungs and raining ash

DarkEuphoria has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Sep 11, 2020

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

how is roger stone even real lol

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

cross postin

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Trump looks like poo poo

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

i can't put into words how much I hate this!

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

The president and First Lady have a new official Xmas portrait out

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

drat that’s a good one

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

NY, NY: the news isn’t the only thing they’re spreading

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

The dems do Amerikkkan Gothic but the chuds do... Whatever this is

lol if you think they are separate things

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

IffyNewtz posted:

Sorry to post this again but I'm crack-pinging here

I think this is my favourite future Pulitzer nomination because it so beautifully captures the pure emotion of someone in full raging Q mode without the need for any of the associated flags, symbols or signature clothing. The subtle implication that the damage to the glass is from him smashing his head into it or something, is just the icing on the cake lol.
This is without even discussing the abject terror in the eyes of the cop on the other side lol
What a great photo
lol

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1363992065403744263?s=20

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I need to know what Romney is laughing at

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012