Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah Scholar is like Blood legacy where you have to not pick it because it's too good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I've been doing some After the End campaigns and invariably defaulting to Architect and Scholar for every character because they're just that all-around useful.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Despacho posted:

The guy somehow has 30 000 men as mercenaries and I just can't figure how. I have, like, 8000 as mercenaries if I hire all available companies. How does he have so many? Oh, and they refresh almost instantly too, because I killed several of those mercenary armies and he just keeps on trucking.

The year is 767.

vanilla starts in 867 or 1066 so you are playing some kind of mod, in which case the weird merc thing is probably something that mod does

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres a ck2 dlc that starts in 769 but 769 != 767

also, starting new custom religions isck3...

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 20, 2024

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

He is taking money from every single priest of your religion. If you had kept him as a vassal you couldve taxed every priest of that religion with higher efficiency. I dont know why you gave him independence, as if you dont display vassals your realm will be one uniform color and it will always be different colors if looking at subrealms unless you personally own every county.

took me a minute but i think his complaint is he is now a different religion to the vassal and he wants to convert them so on the religion screen his realm is one colour

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Grillfiend posted:

vanilla starts in 867 or 1066 so you are playing some kind of mod, in which case the weird merc thing is probably something that mod does

It's a save converter from Imperator to CK3, it's the only mod and I didn't see anyone else ever doing this. Might be a bug or something. I just found it odd because it means he has has access to at least 10 or 15 mercenary companies.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Despacho posted:

It's a save converter from Imperator to CK3, it's the only mod and I didn't see anyone else ever doing this. Might be a bug or something. I just found it odd because it means he has has access to at least 10 or 15 mercenary companies.

Are you sure they’re not holy orders?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Also, like, where is this pope analogue located compared to you? The mercenary pools are region-based IIRC, their region may simply have access to more (I don't think it's ever been explained how that is calculated but I assume it's dynamic somehow just from observed behavior).

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are you sure they’re not holy orders?

I think they are not, because his faith is an ofshoot of mine and I can't hire Holy Orders when at war with him.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Also, like, where is this pope analogue located compared to you? The mercenary pools are region-based IIRC, their region may simply have access to more (I don't think it's ever been explained how that is calculated but I assume it's dynamic somehow just from observed behavior).

He is in Nubia and Taifa. Well, not Taifa anymore, I conquered it back. He's right next to me.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

scaterry posted:

How could you mention the Scholar tree without mentioning the best perk in it, Apostate? It ( with one other faith conversion discount) allows you to be any faith on the map, any time. You can opportunistically convert for decisions, useful tenets, divorces, or even just to change your realm priest. It's better than true ruler since faith tends to be a hard vassalization blocker, too. Open-minded is also rather strong since most people will be a different culture, it's like +15 general opinion.
The Scholar tree on a whole might be the best tree, Schemer gets carried hard by abduction and +1 hostile scheme.

There is a niche strat with using the Defender of Faith to stack -100% tyranny gain. Befriend is mandatory for passive dev strats since befriending your steward triples their effectiveness at max dev penalty.

Thanks for the call out! Am aware of religion swapping, but have not explored as much as you as personally, to me, it feels horribly gamey (esp. pause, convert, do things you want, convert back, unpause). But you’re right, it is very powerful as you have access to pretty much every tenet for 500 piety. For game balance, I feel like there should be a cooldown on voluntary religious changes, but here we are. It is also mildly annoying if you’re swapping from polygamy to non-polygamy (all the base aniconism faiths are monogamous, for example). The ideal power game is make your own variant religions with all the traits you want access to and then convert among them as needed.

Which decisions do you find it valuable to convert to religiously? And I assume you can’t convert, start a holy war, and then convert back instantly, right? (I haven’t tried it).

What’s the Defender of Faith tyranny trick?

And yeah, Befriend is great — usually my first pick in diplomacy, and since there’s a grand wedding event that gives you a full diplo perk, usually get it pretty early. I rarely ever set a diplo focus until I run out of everything else — will usually end up with 6-7 perks in diplo just from weddings / travel.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2024

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

alcaras posted:

What’s the Defender of Faith tyranny trick?

You just stack it with other tyranny modifiers to get to -100%. There's a special building in Aachen for -20% I think, another special building in... Burma, maybe, if you're on that side of the map, the pursuit of power tenet has -50%, and then there's propaganda chronicles and other artifacts. Probably some easy sources I'm forgetting too.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
There is something I just don't understand. My top liege Aquitaine is fighting the ducal rebels of Barcelona and Gascony with his ally France. I attack the Duke of Toulouse as my character has a claim on it while this is happening (my liege is the Duke of Aquitaine). My war target calls in his allies the Duke of Gascony and Barcelona. Remember both of those are already in a war with our top liege and his ally France. What doesn't make sense to me is why the King of Aquitaine and France is suddenly hostile to me as we share enemies and our wars are not related? Common enemies means that people are always hostile to each other because you can theoretically siege the same land?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hryme posted:

There is something I just don't understand. My top liege Aquitaine is fighting the ducal rebels of Barcelona and Gascony with his ally France. I attack the Duke of Toulouse as my character has a claim on it while this is happening (my liege is the Duke of Aquitaine). My war target calls in his allies the Duke of Gascony and Barcelona. Remember both of those are already in a war with our top liege and his ally France. What doesn't make sense to me is why the King of Aquitaine and France is suddenly hostile to me as we share enemies and our wars are not related? Common enemies means that people are always hostile to each other because you can theoretically siege the same land?

Yeah, mutual hostility is kind of a failsafe to allow you to occupy territory that has already been occupied by someone else in a different war against the same war target. Without this, situations can arise where wars just get stuck because occupation of the war target is split between two separate wars, which means neither of them get ticking warscore because they don't have full occupation. The way the AI seems to treat this mutual hostility is a "stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours" approach, where they will siege territory you've already occupied if it's part of their wargoal, but they won't go out of their way to attack your troops.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah, mutual hostility is kind of a failsafe to allow you to occupy territory that has already been occupied by someone else in a different war against the same war target. Without this, situations can arise where wars just get stuck because occupation of the war target is split between two separate wars, which means neither of them get ticking warscore because they don't have full occupation. The way the AI seems to treat this mutual hostility is a "stay out of my way and I'll stay out of yours" approach, where they will siege territory you've already occupied if it's part of their wargoal, but they won't go out of their way to attack your troops.

All right. They followed the duke of Gascony into a fight with me and supported him in that fight even though they are at war with each other. Slightly weird I would say but I can understand why it is organized like this to prevent endless wars.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm not really sure how it decides who is on what side when it comes to those "three-way" battles, the game isn't really set up well for it. I tend to just avoid areas with hostile armies wandering around since bumping into them by accident still makes a fight happen and you just end up losing troops for no benefit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Not 'no reason'! Fighting hostile armies which aren't actual enemies results in prestige & faith instead of merely fame & devotion. Sometimes its worth jumping on a totally unrelated army just for the loot piñata.

But yea 3rd party hostile armies will tend to give you space when waging war, it's no biggie.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You also don't get a truce cooldown with them in that situation, so if you're planning on fighting them next it's like a headstart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I like knights.

context: