Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Reading Polish history just makes you feel sorry for them. A people who experimented early with democracy, stuck between the Russians and the Germans. Poor guys never stood a chance.

Well, the whole 'let's invite a foreign king over who is absolutely powerless and give every piddling noble a veto' is certainly a bold experiment in something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

sloppy portmanteau posted:

What's the most efficient way to deal with this situation? I have the Empire of Alba, and claims on all of the land belonging to Norway, formerly Kingdom of Danelaw. But it looks like the fastest way to reclaim all of Britania is to wage 8 Seize De Jure Duchy wars, which would just take way too long with the constant truce. I have the "Divine Right" innovation but that works only on "Your Claims"

I found that my Ducal vassals liked to take over these lands when they could as well, so if you're not holding all the duchies then they should help you out.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

Glass of Milk posted:

I found that my Ducal vassals liked to take over these lands when they could as well, so if you're not holding all the duchies then they should help you out.
Presumably I'd have to change their contract to allow them to wage war? There might be a few claimants among my vassals.

Tippis posted:

It's Crusader Kings.
The answer is always murder.

This looks to be the best way, at least with my new rulers 21 intrigue. I've killed 2 Norwegian kings so far, and now that I'm just killing toddlers it goes pretty smooth.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

now that I'm just killing toddlers it goes pretty smooth.

Perfection

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Azhais posted:

That's what happens when you only pet them once every 5 years

thanks for making me laugh aloud with this

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TorakFade posted:

As far as I know people can get naked from the day they turn "adult" (so 16 in this game). Also, in my previous playthrough my wife suddenly inherited a county and shed clothes at the same time. Not sure why, she wasn't a lunatic or a heretic and we were both just plain old Catholic. Not just her, also when browsing small counties I'd sometime happen upon a naked man/woman for no apparent reason. :confused:

It adds a perfect base for terrible, disgusting and sexist mods :v: I bet there's already a plethora of "real nude", "forced love" and "erotic" mods around :yikes:

Re: embarassing I don't know, with all that happens in this game between murder, torture, incest and deviancy some pixel tits are by far the lesser offense to morality. But yeah it's not like it adds a big layer of immersion, it seems a little pointless... unless they have ideas for the future to expand on procedurally generated clothing sets - say in an event you get caught by your wife while in bed with your lover , and of course you and the lover will be naked, or if you die while bedridden and sick you'd only wear a rough tunic instead of your full regal garb or whatever

Oh, man...there's definitely going to be a Gor conversion mod isn't there. :stonk:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The "Not Rightful Liege" penalty is stupid and shouldn't be applied if the de jure titles above that level don't even exist. Like I'm imagining a duchy split between four different neighbouring kingdoms/empires and all of the counts are going nah I'm not paying taxes, my rightful liege is... *points clockwise*.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

lol, just won a crusade and put my daughter on the throne of Jerusalem and she immediately divorced her husband, married a local and converted to Druze. The Pope's not very happy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I feel I'm missing something with this whole direct vassals thing. I get an alert I'm at 61/60, I hand off 8 counts that weren't assigned to their nearest available king, and I'm still at 61/60

:iiam:

e:

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

lol, just won a crusade and put my daughter on the throne of Jerusalem and she immediately divorced her husband, married a local and converted to Druze. The Pope's not very happy.

This is why I only designate zealots now

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

I feel I'm missing something with this whole direct vassals thing. I get an alert I'm at 61/60, I hand off 8 counts that weren't assigned to their nearest available king, and I'm still at 61/60

e:

This is why I only designate zealots now

counts belong to dukes, not kings

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

counts belong to dukes, not kings

Like I'm going to spend money creating the 58 duchies, the kings can do that their damned selves

Either way they aren't my vassals anymore

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Direct vassals display is apparently slow to update. If you let the game time go for a bit it should kick through and reflect the changes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Direct vassals display is apparently slow to update. If you let the game time go for a bit it should kick through and reflect the changes.

Yeah there's a delay when updating vassal-relevant stuff. Like a dude who I've stripped of all titles and imprisoned will take a while to lose Powerful Vassal status and allow me to do the law-related stuff you need their approval for

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Word from the wise - wait until your vassels stop converting when a heresy pops up to ask them to convert back. The vassels you convert just go back on the "potential heretic" pile and may get chosen again.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Hooks and feudal contact changes are pretty hilarious. I forced through a change on my taxes and "no, I get to be that religion I want", fabricated a claim to the kingdom, and started just kidnapping everyone who refused to join my claimant faction.

Of course I'm zoroastrian and everyone else is muslim, so I'm only halfway through that and the king just keeps asking me to be his spymaster.

I'm honestly surprised no one has tried to assassinate me or the king doesn't just eat the tyranny, but maybe the AI is both incredibly Incompetent and only hires the incompetent. It's slow going, but my plan to just kidnap the king and force the claim and then forcibly convert all the vassals seems perfectly valid for whatever reason!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Partition splits things with your grandsons even if you have a living son? WTF

Is that working as designed?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've noticed that once your grandchildren are old enough, they become the heirs. Dunno what the threshold is

megane
Jun 20, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

I've noticed that once your grandchildren are old enough, they become the heirs. Dunno what the threshold is

It happens if their father is dead; I haven't seen any other cases.

e: Unrelated, but what they should do is remove the Norse ability to conquer coastal counties at any range and replace it with a "Great Heathen Army" style deal -- you pick any coastal duchy and go take it, but afterwards all your previously-held titles are given to some non-inheriting member of your dynasty. Go carve out a chunk of north Africa if you want, but you don't get to also still own Sweden.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 19, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dude that is a guest in my vassal's court tried to have me murdered. I exposed the secret but I don't seem to have any option to imprison him?

I am guessing that some unlanded guy didn't try to kill the Empress on his own so I will probably dig up that my vassal was behind it, but it still seems weird I can't interact with him besides plotting

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is there a way to see why Vassals are voting for a certain candidate for king? I befriended a duchess and got her at plus 100 but she still won't for my candidate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

megane posted:

It happens if their father is dead; I haven't seen any other cases.

e: Unrelated, but what they should do is remove the Norse ability to conquer coastal counties at any range and replace it with a "Great Heathen Army" style deal -- you pick any coastal duchy and go ta.e it, but afterwards all your previously-held titles are given to some non-inheriting member of your dynasty. Go carve out a chunk of north Africa if you want, but you don't get to also still own Sweden.

Yeah, I had a ton of sons and all but the youngest died in battle, so I was feeling pretty good, but two of them had sons before dying. One of those is a Duke with four counties. Don't see why he needs anything from me.

Agree about the Norse.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bring up the election and click on the Electors tab. It shows their score for their own candidate and for yours, and you can hover over the scores to see why.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I wish the Under siege notification were faster, I often don't get it until a siege is nearly over. I am not sure medieval communications were quite that bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oh dear me posted:

I wish the Under siege notification were faster, I often don't get it until a siege is nearly over. I am not sure medieval communications were quite that bad.

At least you have medieval teleportation technology to counter that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My Kanem-Bornu game continues to be interesting!

My current ruler got a Lover's Pox event the day after I took over lol, that was not a great start. There was also a Liberty War within the first six months, but it was a great opportunity to start imprisoning vassals and revoking their titles. Restructuring the empire to push towards my vassal limit with dukes and counts, along with starting to build a critical mass of income that I could keep reinvesting, has actually edged my income above the Byzantines and the Arabian Empire (though I am still outpaced by what is now Hispania)

The geopolitical situation is pretty interesting. The Kingdom of the Sahara is no more (though I will always remember that kingdom started by my best friend, the Lithuanian Warrior Queen Diplomat :unsmith: ), as they have been absorbed by a Berber Orthodox emirate. I am allied with them and helped push out the other duchies that had broken away from the Byzantines. The Byzantines actually joined the war and I was worried, but we managed to hit 100% warscore before they landed lol

The Empire of Hispania has been formed. The structure seems to be weakened, though, because instead of the Umayyads fielding 45k troops, the empire has 20k and their powerful Umayyad vassal (who doesn't like the emperor) has 18k. Maybe there's some way to exploit this? I have pushed Ghana back to its de jure borders but I have made peace with them and would like for them to stick around.

The Byzantines are stagnating. Technically I have more troops than them at this point, but I am still wary of that big Cataphract attack number. I did field my first unit of Crossbowmen and my empire's buildings are all boosting archers, so maybe we are on more equal footing than I thought.

The Nasraddin have shattered. The lands they hold directly are piddling, and the successor states are the Arabian Empire and the Yahyid, both of which are on equal footing with me. I am still wary of engaging either of them directly, especially the Yahyid who are blocking my eastward expansion with a small exclave (they control basically all of central Asia). On the other hand, I have owned the County of Waj in the heart of Ethiopia for two centuries, maybe I'll warp in my MAA Strike Force and absorb all those fragmented holdings around it lol

I currently have 5 Kingdom titles which are all going to my heir, even under High Partition. This game has been defined by my Warpgate MAA and abusing this Kingdom title law stuff, I don't know what I'll do when they take either or both of those away lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Seriously this one dude just hanging out in my vassal's court is apparently responsible for most of the murders and murder attempts in the empire, is there nothing I can really do to him lol

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

What's the most efficient way to deal with this situation? I have the Empire of Alba, and claims on all of the land belonging to Norway, formerly Kingdom of Danelaw. But it looks like the fastest way to reclaim all of Britania is to wage 8 Seize De Jure Duchy wars, which would just take way too long with the constant truce. I have the "Divine Right" innovation but that works only on "Your Claims"

If divine right is the innovation which lets you press multiple claims at once, you could fabricate county claims on all the provinces. Do a de jure war for one of them, spend the truce fabricating on as many as you can, do a war for them when the truce runs out, rinse repeat. Should do it in 2-3 wars rather than 8.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seriously this one dude just hanging out in my vassal's court is apparently responsible for most of the murders and murder attempts in the empire, is there nothing I can really do to him lol

You can always try murdering him right back. If he’s a known murderer there’ll probably be dozens of people lining up to be agents.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Partition splits things with your grandsons even if you have a living son? WTF

Is that working as designed?

Yes, French-style inheritance treats your children as if they were alive for splitting the realm. I think the game only gives land to the dead child’s primary heir, so it could be worse. Something else to watch out for is that if you have only daughters, a daughter with a son will have priority over daughters with none.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's getting harder to not do incest in my game. 1000 living dynasty members over 71 houses, like every drat woman is a relative

Only like 110 years to go tho, gonna power through this for the achievement (that I assume still exists), I never manage to finish a game

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Azhais posted:

It's getting harder to not do incest in my game. 1000 living dynasty members over 71 houses, like every drat woman is a relative

Only like 110 years to go tho, gonna power through this for the achievement (that I assume still exists), I never manage to finish a game

I think the chance for inbreeding tooltip might be a little bit screwy, I've had to come up on marriages where, so far as I could tell, there was no blood relation at all (tracing one child backward to parentless ancestors). Though it could be that the child is a hidden bastard and the game is checking real lineage. In any case, the chance of inbreeding seems to be quite low unless you're pulling a Ptolemy. Marry your second and third cousins and it seems to be broadly OK.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I hate the shy trait so much, interacting with others is painful, I don't like being put into video games like this.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Syphilis being from the Americas is not a fact, it's one of several theories.

Also aren't there other STDs? Syphilis is just the most famous now. I imagine there are some venereal deceases eradicated several generations ago.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

So this is irritating:

I pressed my son's wife's claim to grab a big chunk of Scotland, which ended up making her a ruler in her own right. Unfortunately this meant that she was then able to imprison him for sleeping around. (It feels a bit screwy that a duchess can imprison a prince, but I can see how the game systems allow for it). How the hell do I get him out? What will happen when I die - can you continue to rule from a jail cell?

e: the answer, of course, was murder

Gato fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 19, 2020

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

You can try sending him enough gifts that he can buy himself out?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

How does education work in CK3? I've been spoiled by CK2 - is it just the main stat itself that's important? Or is there some interplay of traits and stats?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's annoying me that heirs leave your court. Not my heir specifically - but my heir's heir.
Since rulers tend to live for ages my kids will have kids. And that kid will go somewhere else and by the time they inherit they're always a different culture/religion.

Sometimes they go somewhere that I can't interact with and get non-matrilineally married as well which is extra frustrating.

It's literally happened to all of my heirs now and yea I know you can convert relatively quickly back but if I don't have 300 prestige or if I inherit during a war it's loving annoying as hell! The amount of games I've had to abandon because of it makes me not want to use Equal Gender Roles at all because the AI doesn't take it into account when my heir's heir moves to Lithuania or whatever.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 19, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moreau posted:

How does education work in CK3? I've been spoiled by CK2 - is it just the main stat itself that's important? Or is there some interplay of traits and stats?

I usually just pick someone with a 4* lifestyle perk that matches what I want the kid to do and hope for the best

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Last time I read up on it, the consensus was that the main stat matters and the genius/quick/dumb trait matters a lot. That goes for both kid and guardian. In addition, the learning skill matters for the guardian.

The quality of the guardians lifestyle trait doesn't matter, the lifestyle and education don't even have to be the same as I understand it, though the guardians trait will usually be high quality if you're picking someone with a high main stat in that trait.

All these things decide how often the main stat increases during their education, and at the end of their education they get a lifestyle trait based on how high the main stat went.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Moreau posted:

Guardian's main stat, learning stat, and the three intelligence congenital traits. The genius trait is basically equivalent to a 15 in the main stat, and will presumably have at least some of the main stat as well, so basically just Always Assign To Genius Guardians.

Also, if you can send them to university, even if they fail every single yearly random check, they've still pretty much got a floor of tier three education traits, so you can send them to university with a focus completely at odds with their childhood traits with a 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 Imbecile guardian and they'd still get at least a tier 3 and only some mild luck needed to get a tier 4.