Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A good reign. Emperor Soumaoro's hypercharged 52 learning has pulled Kanem-Bornu into the late Middle Ages (still about 11 innovations behind the other empires) and all that piety also allowed me to consecrate the bloodline. I was able to expand out from that one Ethiopian exclave and managed to hit the Somali coast, but not before the Ghazzid absorbed back a big chunk of the Arabian empire. I guess the Indian Ocean is too treacherous because I'm still out of diplomatic range of India...

Also I unlocked Octogenarians and finished the health tree with Soumaoro so I have at least one more year with him. I, uh, forgot to land my heir and he's already 46 with no lifestyle perks and negative piety? Ultimate failson.

Meanwhile my eighth son:

Am I gonna get problems if I Designate an Heir lol

Edit: Well I did it. Felt bad for a second that now he's my heir I had to break up the betrothal with a low-stat Possessed girl

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also I unlocked Octogenarians and finished the health tree with Soumaoro so I have at least one more year with him. I, uh, forgot to land my heir and he's already 46 with no lifestyle perks and negative piety? Ultimate failson.

FYI you don't have to land your heir for them to get lifestyle progress while they're waiting for you to die. When a character gets landed they automatically get a lump sum of perks depending on their age. I assume it also factors in xp bonuses from things like education and intelligence traits though I'm not sure.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Am I gonna get problems if I Designate an Heir lol

Nope, it's just the prestige cost.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

eleven extra elephants posted:

Any decent streamers/playthroughs on Twitch/Youtube? I'm just looking for weirder playthroughs and people who are really good at strat games

He's medium at best at playing the game but I enjoy Monstersabound. he started out as cornwall but ended up in wales after a lot of stabbing gone wrong

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I tried CK2 for a few hours a long time ago, but the complexity was just a bit too much to figure out at the time. I put it down like "I'll watch some guides and have a proper sit-down to learn things sometime", but never got around to that. Then last week I had this random whim of giving CK3 a try through Game Pass, and now I'm totally hooked. I heard the news about Game Pass leaving beta, but from what I understand, existing subscribers will still pay the beta price until the next billing cycle, so once my sub ends in a week or so I can still eke out another month with the old price, which should be enough to sate myself on sweet feudal chicanery for a while.

Anyways, I humbly just continued the tutorial game with babby mode Ireland. First three kings were pretty normal, first martial lifestyle and then dabbled in some Stewardship. Was a bit salty when my favourite heir candidate got murdered, and the guy everyone else was voting for seemed like a bit of a wet rag. Even his character description just said "Fool", despite having a learning lifestyle focus. When he ascended the throne, I realised he didn't even have any kids despite he and his wife being 30. I wanted to fix that, so I went to the Seduce option in the menu... and saw a new one below it:
:thunk:

So long story short, the wise and "pious" scholar king Dínertach also converted his house into a giant witch coven. And I managed to get his first converted ward (and thus his rightful heir in the eyes of the Horned God as far as I'm concerned) elected as his successor despite him being a known adulterer and murderer. Witch King Dínertach also, after his original wife died of old age in her late 60s, took a second wife; some no-name petty noble bastard girl, who also happened to be a genius. And he managed to sire two children with her in his 70s. Then he got cancer, but his court physician miraculously saved him from it by cutting his wiener off. He finally "died of his wounds" like seven years later at the age of 80.

Eager to see what I can get his scheming successor up to, though his reign likely won't be long since he's already in his fifties. I'll probably be pretty vanilla and just see if I can get him crowned Emperor of Britannia.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 21, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Wanted to browse the family tree only to discover that my second character's sister no longer seems to be visible, what's up with that?

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Vichan posted:

Wanted to browse the family tree only to discover that my second character's sister no longer seems to be visible, what's up with that?
Probably hit that trigger that is Fabricating Bastardry: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...events.1418064/

Not only does the trigger act like the character was secretly a bastard child, it retroactively changes their father and if it happens, I believe you have no way to dispute it - only expose the new secret or not.
Funnily enough, children of concubines are immune to this.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Holy poo poo, Shy is the worst ruler trait. I must not have been paying attention when my heir's trait events came up. Now I'm stuck with him while everyone hates his rear end. Trying to mitigate with lifestyle traits, but drat.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I've noticed that pre-Islamic Arabs have a generic "Pagan" faith. Do we simply not know enough about pre-Islamic paganism to reconstruct a faith for them? Considering all the obscure indigenous beliefs that are in the game I find that surprising.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Whorelord posted:

I've noticed that pre-Islamic Arabs have a generic "Pagan" faith. Do we simply not know enough about pre-Islamic paganism to reconstruct a faith for them? Considering all the obscure indigenous beliefs that are in the game I find that surprising.

We don’t know that much about early Islam let alone what come before

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Gotta love an emergency betrothal to form an alliance and turn the tides of a war :discourse:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Is changing the target of Crusades broken? I selected a new target, the action box at the bottom briefly turned yellow but then went back to inactive. It now says "no target selected" when there's a tick mark on the box.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

swampcow posted:

Holy poo poo, Shy is the worst ruler trait. I must not have been paying attention when my heir's trait events came up. Now I'm stuck with him while everyone hates his rear end. Trying to mitigate with lifestyle traits, but drat.

Shy Callous and Greedy are goddamned awful

That "My friend is nice to me and I lose 27 stress" event is "My friend is nice to me and I gain 63 stress cause I'm callous" event. Can't talk to people at parties, can't invite new people to court, can't be nice to anyone, can't give away titles or bribe people

:argh:

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

eleven extra elephants posted:

I have literally always been caught by my wife in the infidelity pregnancy event to have your spymaster spy on her despite it being 90% success, i'm talking like 10 times, is it bugged or am I just that unlucky

Same, I think it's bugged

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Azhais posted:

Shy Callous and Greedy are goddamned awful

That "My friend is nice to me and I lose 27 stress" event is "My friend is nice to me and I gain 63 stress cause I'm callous" event. Can't talk to people at parties, can't invite new people to court, can't be nice to anyone, can't give away titles or bribe people

:argh:

Don't worry about it, when you hit 100+ stress you get new comping mechanics to deal with the stress :)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Descar posted:

Don't worry about it, when you hit 100+ stress you get new comping mechanics to deal with the stress :)

My shy leader actually ended up getting a decision to abdicate at high enough stress. The kingdom went to his genius beautiful gregarious 20 year old heir.

Shy guy had a ton of prowess and made one helluva knight for his daughter and helped found Outremer not from the throne, but on the front line.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Descar posted:

Yeah, there's a real mindset that Stress Is To Be Avoided At All Costs which I guess was predictable Gamer Brain but is kind of a shame. Stress is a resource to be managed like any other and taking it on when you really need something done can open up some really cool stories like, well:

OctaMurk posted:

My shy leader actually ended up getting a decision to abdicate at high enough stress. The kingdom went to his genius beautiful gregarious 20 year old heir.

Shy guy had a ton of prowess and made one helluva knight for his daughter and helped found Outremer not from the throne, but on the front line.

:unsmith:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

my latest runthrough i'm forming england and my gimmick is i used the character creator mod to create the worst possible character as a sort of hard mode and also to more accurately reflect history

anyway he has arrogant, decietful and greedy and the dude lives the most stressless life of any character i've ever played and fairly easily formed england by bending the knee to the king of france for protection then betraying and abducting him.
he actually ended up ruling for a very long time and never once went over a level of stress

the more evil character the better they are at the bloody business of empire which alone makes the stress system a fantastic addition in terms of simulation.
you end up with nice rulers who preside over peaceful times but all the ones who grow your territory the most or pacify internal crises are complete psychos

it did just kill one of my games though. no idea what happend but it just wont load any saves from that game anymore which sucks. i had made an enormous yuan han state of tibet and india

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, there's a real mindset that Stress Is To Be Avoided At All Costs which I guess was predictable Gamer Brain but is kind of a shame. Stress is a resource to be managed like any other and taking it on when you really need something done can open up some really cool stories like, well:

The weird thing is that once you get big enough and your vassals have any money at all, they will invite you to so many feasts that (assuming you're not shy) you are functionally immune to stress.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

swampcow posted:

lmao this is me, except I had an opportunity to rid an heir of it and thought "well those stat hits aren't so bad, I'm sure it will be fine."

And then the subsequent heir wound up with it too :negative:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

:unsmith:

"stress as a ressource" is exactly how I've come to view it as well. You "invest" in stress-reduction and "spend " it on hard decisions

some of the best traits come from hitting the thresholds, you should never just blindly go "I CANT TAKE ANY STRESS AT ALL"

hell it's even a good way to kill your overly healthy ruler - Stress 4 is death from a heart attack.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

The weird thing is that once you get big enough and your vassals have any money at all, they will invite you to so many feasts that (assuming you're not shy) you are functionally immune to stress.

Yeah but then you die of heart failure from complications arising from obesity.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

If you’re the target of a holy war and you have enough piety, you actually get an alert in the suggestions box, “Convert to the attacker’s religion and we can put this all behind us, no harm no foul.” It’s pretty neat.

I'm pretty sure you could do that in CK2 though. CK3 seems to have added more options to continue a war against an enemy's successor, so it's kind of annoying when there are still some circumstances that force a war to end months before total victory for reasons outside your control, even if they make sense.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

To be clear, this is not a joke. You will literally get obese and a heart attack from too much feasting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The one thing that I want added to this game above all others is to have pins pass to successors. I'm getting sick of having to remove pins from dead people then find the inheritor to pin them again. CK2 followed the Pope and character heirs that way, taking it out was a major backstep.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Jedit posted:

The one thing that I want added to this game above all others is to have pins pass to successors. I'm getting sick of having to remove pins from dead people then find the inheritor to pin them again. CK2 followed the Pope and character heirs that way, taking it out was a major backstep.

hell just allow us to pin titles

even ones without a current holder, so we know when they are created

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jedit posted:

Yes, this. Also a more useful event log would help. One time I wanted to check up on my childless ruler's oldest brother and heir and found that he had died two years ago... of his injuries. Thanks, really helpful. There should also be more defaults set to pause on important things happening.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has anyone seen Temujin accomplish anything at all yet? I've never seen him secure more than a handful of scattered counties before he loses all his event troops and just stops dead.

Even watching the Seljuk AI try to invade Armenia in the 1066 start is really discouraging, they put all their armies into a big stack and marched around trying to chase down a Byzantine army one six the size, and promptly lost all of those special troops to attrition.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

The other problems with Catholicism are fervor and priesthood. First their set of sins insure that priest get caught loving women (or worse) all the time and it tanks fervor. Two, the pope (not the ruler) selects the bishop, and the local bishop with 4 knowledge will take forever to convert people to a religion with at best 50% fervor.

Yeah, fervor is my only big complaint with this game. I get it's supposed to keep a religion from steam rolling the world, but it feels not only a little too effective at the job, but having a global "everyone in the religion is a hive mind that believes THIS hard" stat abstracts to a nonsensical degree.

Honestly, I think fervor would work better as a regional thing, with global fervor being an average of fervor in faithful counties. If Priest Goatfuckerus of Mann gets caught doing what he loves, it really shouldn't rattle the faithful souls of the HRE by 10% because a backwater clergyman simply is not important to them, or the Catholic world at large. Instead, he should tank local fervor, since he is important to Mann, which would affect the overall average by a much more sensible amount. Regional fervor can be used to adjust religion swap costs, making heresy breakouts tend to occur where fervor is low. If fervor affecting poo poo happens at a Ducal/Kingdom/Empire/Whole Religion level, then apply the effect to each affected county in the region, which will affect the average fervor more dramatically.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I think tons of heresies breaking out is fun af. Maybe it should be another game setting, i.e. heresy frequency, or impact of holy wars on fervor.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think fervor is a bit too good at what it's trying to do. Third game in, and I've never seen a game that didn't have Europe split between Waldensianism and Catharism by the year 1000.

I'd like if there was still something like Moral Authority in place to give some of the established religions some stability, and have fervor as some sort of temporary modifier.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

I think tons of heresies breaking out is fun af. Maybe it should be another game setting, i.e. heresy frequency, or impact of holy wars on fervor.

It does give a nice excuse to imprision and strip titles from uppity nobles from time to time.

And if you "demand conversion" from the portrait menu instead of the negotiate release menu, their family and their counties will covert along with them. Most will accept it after softening up in prison for a year or two.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

What’s with imprisoning adulterers sometimes being an act of tyranny and sometimes not? Same reign, same ..... wait is it dependent on the religion of the adulterer as to whether or not I am justified in imprisoning them?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
By default it looks like for most religions adultery is a crime for women, but only shunned for men, so that might be part of it.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

PittTheElder posted:

Has anyone seen Temujin accomplish anything at all yet? I've never seen him secure more than a handful of scattered counties before he loses all his event troops and just stops dead.

Even watching the Seljuk AI try to invade Armenia in the 1066 start is really discouraging, they put all their armies into a big stack and marched around trying to chase down a Byzantine army one six the size, and promptly lost all of those special troops to attrition.

In my game he conquered pretty much everything in a straight line from Mongolia down to the Indian Ocean, so that was something. I lucked out as eastern Tibet by jumping on a few small Mongol armies right after he appeared and before they could coalesce into a larger force. Got a white peace and watched as everyone around me got swallowed up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Me to my steward: I'm not trying to honor you. I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I can eat, drink and whore my way to an early grave.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm thinking they really need to fix whatever bug makes it so every single time you answer an ally's call to war, the war calculation always thinks you contributed 0% when the war ends, even if you basically won the whole thing yourself.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I;m thinking about thos bugs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm thinking they really need to fix whatever bug makes it so every single time you answer an ally's call to war, the war calculation always thinks you contributed 0% when the war ends, even if you basically won the whole thing yourself.

The only thing you're missing out on is 20% of the prestige, it's a real small reward even when it works.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

The only thing you're missing out on is 20% of the prestige, it's a real small reward even when it works.

recognition from my ally that I did my part is the real reward and i'm being denied it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

Unless I'm missing something, you're also supposed to get a large relations boost with your ally. But getting it is contingent on actually contributing to the war, not just answering the call. And they think you haven't contributed.