Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Thanks to a series of high-learning emperors who all took the "extra fascination progress" perk + concentrating on boosting development in my culture's provinces (Lombardia has just overtaken Rome and Costantinople as the most developed province in the world - 57 vs 55 and 54, respectively), I have basically finished the entire tech tree, it's 1270 or so and I'm currently researching the last cultural advancment, Condottieri from the Late Medieval era, it will be done in about 3 years.

Did I break something or is finishing the tree around the halfway point of the game working as intended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
If you take multiple high-learning rulers and develop your capitol most of the time then you'll blitz through the tech tree. It might be too fast and gets really strong if you breed early geniuses into your empire. The learning tree also giving you massive self-boosts to your learning stat and has ridiculous events that allow you to get extra perks and those make it one of the stronger trees for 'doing what you want it to do' but not necessarily making it overpowered I guess. The trees need some rebalancing.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

shut up blegum posted:

77 learning, what the hell?

The learning trees have a lot of opportunities to boost learning, plus the House of Wisdom in Baghdad gives +2 learning per level of fame. Also my spouse has 32 learning and is on give patronage so that gives another 16 learning right there. Also, stacking learning is pretty much the only way to get enough piety to convert to a dead religion like Zunist or Hellenic.

TorakFade posted:

Thanks to a series of high-learning emperors who all took the "extra fascination progress" perk + concentrating on boosting development in my culture's provinces (Lombardia has just overtaken Rome and Costantinople as the most developed province in the world - 57 vs 55 and 54, respectively), I have basically finished the entire tech tree, it's 1270 or so and I'm currently researching the last cultural advancment, Condottieri from the Late Medieval era, it will be done in about 3 years.

Did I break something or is finishing the tree around the halfway point of the game working as intended?

Basically having decent learning will allow you to complete the tech tree well before the finish date.

Obviously at that point the only thing left to do is convert each region to your culture so you can pick up the greyed out cultural techs. Only one province away from Afghani war elephants for me, then I might try to load them onto some War Canoes.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Nion posted:

The Hagia Sophia being completely worthless to Catholics even after mending the schism is rather annoying. Similarly, there are a special buildings in India that say in the flavor text that they are holy to both Hindus and Buddhists, yet only work for one of them. I'm not sure why there even is a "Building is deactivated because of religion" thing in the issue list when there's no actual way to fix the issue. (Technically I could swap religions, but that would deactivate other buildings.)

The ones in India work for both I think, but just one at a time. It goes to whichever faith is holding that county. And even if a Mahayana Buddhist holds it, if you’re Theravada you don’t get a bonus

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm coming into ck3 fairly fresh. I've played some HoI and Stellaris previously, as well as 4-5 games of ck2.

Where can I go to get a better handle on how to strategically use marriages to get people on foreign thrones or get claims I can later press? This part was always a mystery to me in my handful of ck2 games.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Where can I go to get a better handle on how to strategically use marriages to get people on foreign thrones or get claims I can later press? This part was always a mystery to me in my handful of ck2 games.

Simply put, pressed claims in either parent go to the children of the marriage. If you want the claims in your family, make sure your relative is male or make the marriage matrilineal. Once the baby inherits, press the claim in war.

Unpressed claims cannot be inherited, but can be made pressed and inheritable by declaring a war to press the claim, then white peace.

If you want to install family without war, it's a bit more work, but basically involves marrying a kid far back in the line of inheritance in a way that your dynasty inherits, then stab your way to victory.

Always be stabbing, either with penis or blade.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Always be stabbing, either with penis or blade.

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth... and kill!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

shut up blegum posted:

77 learning, what the hell?

There is a reason he's wearing that big turban.

That's the size of his brain.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
What an upstart vassal this was. She fabricated a claim on my drat kingdom while having the Duchy of Ulster taken out from under her. I took back Ailech from Lappland, and moved on to vassalize her, which she accepted. Then I gave her Ailech because I didn't need it and she hits me with this a year or two later to get rid of the hook. What a jerk! My character was unfortunately too nice to not let it slide because the stress would've been too much but man. Made me go after that Duchy earlier than I wanted to. She should've been more aware that I was still 3 counties below my domain limit.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I hope a patch sorts out confederate partition. Or just partition generally.
It makes it so hard to play as a tribe and feudalising/changing stuff takes so long that it's just a game of whackamole when your guy dies because you've got no actual powerbase so therefore no troops.

It's so boring. I've been the empire of mali for like 250 years and I still spend ages faffing around because I can only ever hold onto my capital. Giving my brother 3 provinces and me keeping two (and yes, the main title) seemed like it'd be fine but nope, he now owns my only other county as well.

It's funny looking at my feudal vassal tithes and stuff where they're earning 10 gold so I get 0.1 or etc. It just seems ridiculous at this point. Why does nobody other than heads of religion ever have any money?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Taear posted:

It makes it so hard to play as a tribe

I haven't yet played as a tribe. But with feudal I have enjoyed the way CK3 forces me to deal with partition for centuries, so I wonder whether it is really partition that's the problem with tribes, and not the difficulty of converting or something.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Taear posted:

It makes it so hard to play as a tribe and feudalising/changing stuff takes so long that it's just a game of whackamole when your guy dies because you've got no actual powerbase so therefore no troops.

It's so boring. I've been the empire of mali for like 250 years and I still spend ages faffing around because I can only ever hold onto my capital. Giving my brother 3 provinces and me keeping two (and yes, the main title) seemed like it'd be fine but nope, he now owns my only other county as well.

It's funny looking at my feudal vassal tithes and stuff where they're earning 10 gold so I get 0.1 or etc. It just seems ridiculous at this point. Why does nobody other than heads of religion ever have any money?

Are you disinheriting your extra heirs? Disinheriting extra heirs is pretty cheap - I forget the exact numbers but it's a couple hundred each of renown and prestige, plus a relationship hit with whoever you disinherit. Feels almost too easy sometimes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Taear posted:

The money balance is weird as hell.

But partition succession as a tribal I haven't found too back to manage, because you have so many opportunities to go rip a piece off a nieghbour and give that land to your non-primary heirs. Have you been checking the Succession tab in the Realm sidebar? That'll tell you exactly what everyone is set to inherit from your current holdings, and is the key to planning it succesfully.

TorakFade posted:

Nah finishing techs in the mid 1200s what I've seen in all my 1066 starts as well. None of my Tribal 867 games have gotten that far. And like it's not just my culture that was finishing it like that, it was everywhere in Europe-ME. Feels kinda goofy really.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If anything my experience with tribal is basically that once you get to around kingdom-size it's almost too easy and might need a nerf. While going feudal is better in the long run right now it simply feels awful going from tribal to feudal.

Bold Robot posted:

Are you disinheriting your extra heirs? Disinheriting extra heirs is pretty cheap - I forget the exact numbers but it's a couple hundred each of renown and prestige, plus a relationship hit with whoever you disinherit. Feels almost too easy sometimes.

I'd rather just hand out duchies than waste Renown. Either way though partition is not all that difficult to manage.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 23, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Taear posted:

The confederate partition is supposed to be the main downside of playing tribe, since they have a very easy time with the other aspects of the game, like having access to raiding, prestige based MAAs, and extremely generous CBs. There needs to be one reason for people to want to feudalize.

And as I've said earlier in this thread. Giving your secondary heirs a duchy usually keeps them complacent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Magil Zeal posted:

I'd rather just hand out duchies than waste Renown.

:same:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There is a reason that disinheriting is easy to do but comes at the cost of renown.

Because it's a shameful path for cowards.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The CK3 twitter seems to be teasing "patch news" at the end of today's stream, so that's something at least.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I do personally find the tech pace insane, but especially given you get bombards. Which to my knowledge didn't really become a thing until like the very end of the game. I'm sure my knowledge is lacking but the first time I remember them making a big splash was the final siege of Constantinople which was 1453, after the game ends.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Magil Zeal posted:

The CK3 twitter seems to be teasing "patch news" at the end of today's stream, so that's something at least.

Teasing patch news release day. What a time to be alive.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I heard you can tech-up even faster than that because something about development speed, IIRC, is affected by how big your culture is. So I read that starting as Bohemia, never expanding Czech culture and going all in on learning gets you to the end of the tech tree stupid early.

One of the few things I miss from CK2 is the wikipedia links for historical characters. Someone from the PDX forums pointed to the entry for Bayajidda, Daurama's husband, to explain why a random Baghdadi with the incredible nickname "Slayer of the Snake" is hanging out in west Africa. (Turns out he's a legendary figure to explain why the Hasua went from matriarchal Pagans to patriarchal Muslims)

I figure I'll ask again in case anyone knows off the top of the head: when modding to add names to a culture, both given and dynasty names, do I have to put them in the files alphabetically?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If your character qualifies for two different nicknames, is there any way to pick between them? My current dude was "the Blood-Father" because he strengthened the bloodline, but then he became "the Scholar" because he founded a university. Blood-Father is obviously much cooler than Scholar and if I can't switch it I'll lose my ability to feel human, etc.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

I heard you can tech-up even faster than that because something about development speed, IIRC, is affected by how big your culture is. So I read that starting as Bohemia, never expanding Czech culture and going all in on learning gets you to the end of the tech tree stupid early.

It's pretty much impossible to finish any faster than mid-1200s because of the hard era-limits. Which is why I feel like investing in development/innovation speed is good, there's a limit to just how good it can be.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Bold Robot posted:

If your character qualifies for two different nicknames, is there any way to pick between them? My current dude was "the Blood-Father" because he strengthened the bloodline, but then he became "the Scholar" because he founded a university. Blood-Father is obviously much cooler than Scholar and if I can't switch it I'll lose my ability to feel human, etc.

You can do it in the debug mode: remove_nick just gets ride of your name, set_nick gives you another one. You're looking for set_nick nick_the_blood_motherfather

As far as I can tell you can't do it without enabling the console.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm the Emperor of Italia and apparently I have de jure claims on the Papacy (well, the important bit of the Papacy anyway). If I do dethrone the Pope and get Rome for myself (or a vassal), will something really bad happen? I like asking the Pope every few years for extra gold. In EU4 for example the entirety of catholicism will be pissed at you if you take Rome, unless you're Italy. Maybe that works also in CK3? The Pope has a few counties in southern Italy that I don't really care about and I guess he could move there, but I'm kind of afraid to try and don't want the entirety of Catholicism to hate me.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Digital Osmosis posted:

You can do it in the debug mode: remove_nick just gets ride of your name, set_nick gives you another one. You're looking for set_nick nick_the_blood_motherfather

As far as I can tell you can't do it without enabling the console.

Thanks. How do you activate debug/console in CK3?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

man i just got dumpstered three new starts in a row, after thinking the game was too easy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

TorakFade posted:

I'm the Emperor of Italia and apparently I have de jure claims on the Papacy (well, the important bit of the Papacy anyway). If I do dethrone the Pope and get Rome for myself (or a vassal), will something really bad happen? I like asking the Pope every few years for extra gold. In EU4 for example the entirety of catholicism will be pissed at you if you take Rome, unless you're Italy. Maybe that works also in CK3? The Pope has a few counties in southern Italy that I don't really care about and I guess he could move there, but I'm kind of afraid to try and don't want the entirety of Catholicism to hate me.

Well as a pagan invading Rome, there was no Catholic clown car, the Pope had no allies and no one reacted to my declaring war. As well if the Pope has no more lands...there stops being a pope. I think you can recreate him, but he wont' exist for a while until you do. No idea on any opinion penalties.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Can you inherit MAA? I suddenly have like 3 regiments I didn't create. Pretty weird.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

nick_the_blood_motherfather

mods, please

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

TorakFade posted:

I had Muslims conquer Latium and the other counties of the Papal States and I stole it from them and I had no problems. Don't know about directly conquering it though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Can you inherit MAA? I suddenly have like 3 regiments I didn't create. Pretty weird.

Yes, I'm quite certain you can inherit MAA along with titles.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TorakFade posted:

As long as you're a Catholic and remain so I don't think anybody gives a poo poo if you attack the Pope besides his allies. It's just that dislodging the Pope is hard because he has shitloads of money that he can and will use to create a huge doomstack out of nowhere if attacked. And even if you beat him he'll hate your guts and probably be more than happy to see you excommunicated. Also all subsequent popes will have a "Desires the Duchy of Roma" malus towards you. Also if you ever switch religions to something else then the Pope will start calling endless Crusades to retake Rome you'll have to beat back.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TorakFade posted:

If you're catholic and you take the pope's last holdings, then the pope is gone. But if youre only taking rome youre fine.

Hell i took rome from the pope, then asked him for 750 gold just days after lmao

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
They announced on the stream and Twitter that the 1.1 patch would be out "sometime next week", which is good but I wish they'd put out a dev diary yesterday with a bit more detail on what's coming.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you take the Pope’s hat, you’re the new Pope.

That’s the rule.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Hargrimm posted:

The local backup is at Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\last_save.ck3, you can copy that into the "save games" folder and then load it from the main menu. There's no way to disable cloud saves mid-stream with Gamepass as far as I can tell, so you'll have to manually copy the autosave file every time you quit the game.

Do you know if this breaks Ironman?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know why I'd suddenly have my pool of potential spouses drop from thousands to 3 toddlers after reforming a religion? I can't go back and look at the tenets since it was an ironman game that I lost due to not being able to produce any heirs.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know why I'd suddenly have my pool of potential spouses drop from thousands to 3 toddlers after reforming a religion? I can't go back and look at the tenets since it was an ironman game that I lost due to not being able to produce any heirs.

Did you click on "arrange marriage" rather than "find spouse"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Zig-Zag posted:

Do you know if this breaks Ironman?

It's just a copy of the last successful save, if that's an Ironman save then it'll load just like usual.