Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to play as a 1-province count in the HRE? I'm trying to recreate Wiz's Hohenzollern LP. I found Friedrich von Hohenzollern and made him count of Zollern, how do I grow and take over Swabia and eventually the HRE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Is there some way to vassalize the pope? I need his land to unite Italia, but this guy has practically infinite money and can thus pull infinite soldiers out of his rear end. I can beat them off, but it's impossible to leave a small siege force somewhere, because he will come up with a 6000 man stack and destroy them.

I've considered trying to get an Italian on the papal throne who will willingly become my vassal, but I don't think there's any way to influence who becomes pope, and I'm not sure I could stack enough bonuses anyway.

Any advice?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

First of all, focus on building up your one county. Find Secrets and Golden Obligations is a really good way to pull seed capital from faraway lands.

You can fabricate claims on neighboring counties, but you usually don't need to; one of the Fabricate Claims side-effect events is giving away claims to fellow vassals, and since Catholic Bishops are often terrible because of papal appointment RNG, so you'll have plenty of claims even doing nothing. The game doesn't notify you that you have them though, so you have to keep checking your character screen.

Marriage wise you'll ideally want to marry your yourself and/or your future heir to a daughter of your liege; thats how you bring claims into the family. You can also use the Meritocracy perk to brute force it. Second sons should marry daughters of neighboring rulers at the same rank as you; in a generation their kids will have claims you can press. Daughters get married for alliances; powerful foreign rulers if you can, equal rank fellow vassals if not; if you can't get a good match marry them matrilineally to randoms with good traits/stats (they will join your court) and create surplus dynasts (for sweet sweet Renown).

For men at arms you want siege engines, some pikemen, and lots of Armored Footmen. Boost their stats with a building in every holding you personally control. You don't get any stat boosts from your temples our cities, so you only really want those to have revenue generation buildings (but enforcing this by swapping thier buildings is your absolute lowest priority).

Finally, be sure to name absolutely all of your sons either Konrad or Friedrich, it is the Swabian Way.

pidan posted:

Is there some way to vassalize the pope? I need his land to unite Italia, but this guy has practically infinite money and can thus pull infinite soldiers out of his rear end. I can beat them off, but it's impossible to leave a small siege force somewhere, because he will come up with a 6000 man stack and destroy them.

I've considered trying to get an Italian on the papal throne who will willingly become my vassal, but I don't think there's any way to influence who becomes pope, and I'm not sure I could stack enough bonuses anyway.

Any advice?

The only way I know of to do this is to hold an Empire title and then use the De Jure CB on his final holdings to force vassalize him. Forced Vassalization CB might work too.

No way I know of to do it without fighting him, but it's easily doable by stacking MaA bonuses, tier four buildings and 7 level eight regiments are sufficient.

Don't bother with small siege stacks, just smash down his holdings one by one.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 20, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Apparently there is One Neat Trick - The Pope HATES it!* that you can do to get rid of terrible bishops without murdering them - have them educate the child of one of your vassals. The bishop will apparently gently caress off to the vassal's court to do the education rather than the child coming to your court. You then get a new bishop. Repeat until you have one that doesn't have 2 learning and hates you.

*This does not actually affect the Pope's opinion.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

Apparently there is One Neat Trick - The Pope HATES it!* that you can do to get rid of terrible bishops without murdering them - have them educate the child of one of your vassals. The bishop will apparently gently caress off to the vassal's court to do the education rather than the child coming to your court. You then get a new bishop. Repeat until you have one that doesn't have 2 learning and hates you.

*This does not actually affect the Pope's opinion.

I just imprison and banish them to steal all their gold :shrug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I leave them be because they’re appointed by the man appointed by god

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

This.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

So they're basically

https://youtu.be/MKZSqd5Y8nA

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Jay Rust posted:

Sometimes I will send them to meet their god, though

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

I really love the flavor text ignoring reality sometimes. That, and blind folk spotting things.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Do you refute the Kaiser's obvious beauty?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They had to put the mask on him because he was too sexy.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

I really love the flavor text ignoring reality sometimes. That, and blind folk spotting things.

My favorite was my King who preferred peace over conflict and was in 20 offensive wars.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to play as a 1-province count in the HRE? I'm trying to recreate Wiz's Hohenzollern LP. I found Friedrich von Hohenzollern and made him count of Zollern, how do I grow and take over Swabia and eventually the HRE?

Since you're going to be playing nearby, your early focus should be taking either Göttingen or Innsbruck as soon as you can afford the claim & war. Göttingen is better, but Innsbruck is closer to Zollern. They both have unique mining buildings that will give you a crazy amount of money early on, in addition to increasing the development of the respective counties.

Before unpausing, change your feudal contract to get guaranteed council rights and forced partition succession. Because of tech you're going to be stuck in partition for a long time anyway, so you're not giving anything up for the +2 gold/month for being your liege's steward.

Once you own Göttingen you'll be making +7 gold/month just from that county + being your liege's steward. This will let you afford a bunch of MAA much earlier than your neighbors, making the rest of Swabia trivial to consolidate.

There are a couple more unique buildings near Göttingen like the Aachen palace and the Cologne Cathedral, or if you want to move south you can pretty easily form Switzerland.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Is there a way to keep your armies from retreating halfway across the map after a battle? My troops just marched past my rally point and deep into my territory.

Seriously, this is driving me crazy. Even if I click to retreat during the battle, the whole army takes a week and goes somewhere in my territory, not even close to where they came from.

I must be missing something obvious, but it's ruining the game when I get dragged into an ally's war 5 kingdoms away and my troops are uselessly going to my territory.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The X-man cometh posted:

Seriously, this is driving me crazy. Even if I click to retreat during the battle, the whole army takes a week and goes somewhere in my territory, not even close to where they came from.

I must be missing something obvious, but it's ruining the game when I get dragged into an ally's war 5 kingdoms away and my troops are uselessly going to my territory.

That’s a feature. When you lose a battle your troops retreat way the hell away (and vice versa) but are invincible in the process. Net result is the enemy can’t immediately follow up and wins more battles against you while your troops’ morale is trash, but in exchange you do run quite far. I highly recommend winning battles instead.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

ulmont posted:

That’s a feature. When you lose a battle your troops retreat way the hell away (and vice versa) but are invincible in the process. Net result is the enemy can’t immediately follow up and wins more battles against you while your troops’ morale is trash, but in exchange you do run quite far. I highly recommend winning battles instead.

Yeah you can tell when that's happened because they have a little white flag beneath them. You must abide by the gentlemanly rules for conduct in warfare.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I remember when shattered retreats were first introduced (in an EU3 patch?) and it really threw everyone off-guard. "WTF! The enemy is MARCHING THROUGH MY ARMY!!" It took a while for some people to warm up to the idea. This is important to remember sometimes because it turns out that it's not a very intuitive system, actually. It can be really confusing if you don't know how it already works.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

they have a blue movement indicator when theyre retreating as well

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

First of all, focus on building up your one county. Find Secrets and Golden Obligations is a really good way to pull seed capital from faraway lands.

You can fabricate claims on neighboring counties, but you usually don't need to; one of the Fabricate Claims side-effect events is giving away claims to fellow vassals, and since Catholic Bishops are often terrible because of papal appointment RNG, so you'll have plenty of claims even doing nothing. The game doesn't notify you that you have them though, so you have to keep checking your character screen.

Marriage wise you'll ideally want to marry your yourself and/or your future heir to a daughter of your liege; thats how you bring claims into the family. You can also use the Meritocracy perk to brute force it. Second sons should marry daughters of neighboring rulers at the same rank as you; in a generation their kids will have claims you can press. Daughters get married for alliances; powerful foreign rulers if you can, equal rank fellow vassals if not; if you can't get a good match marry them matrilineally to randoms with good traits/stats (they will join your court) and create surplus dynasts (for sweet sweet Renown).

For men at arms you want siege engines, some pikemen, and lots of Armored Footmen. Boost their stats with a building in every holding you personally control. You don't get any stat boosts from your temples our cities, so you only really want those to have revenue generation buildings (but enforcing this by swapping thier buildings is your absolute lowest priority).

Finally, be sure to name absolutely all of your sons either Konrad or Friedrich, it is the Swabian Way.

This was pretty good advice, I'm duke of Swabia now. Poor Rudolf von Rhinefelden died and got replaced by some other rear end in a top hat so my marriage into his family wasnt that valuable. I ended up forging a claim on the duchy anyway and couping the Duke. Also what about naming sons Waldemar?

binge crotching posted:

Since you're going to be playing nearby, your early focus should be taking either Göttingen or Innsbruck as soon as you can afford the claim & war. Göttingen is better, but Innsbruck is closer to Zollern. They both have unique mining buildings that will give you a crazy amount of money early on, in addition to increasing the development of the respective counties.

Before unpausing, change your feudal contract to get guaranteed council rights and forced partition succession. Because of tech you're going to be stuck in partition for a long time anyway, so you're not giving anything up for the +2 gold/month for being your liege's steward.

Once you own Göttingen you'll be making +7 gold/month just from that county + being your liege's steward. This will let you afford a bunch of MAA much earlier than your neighbors, making the rest of Swabia trivial to consolidate.

There are a couple more unique buildings near Göttingen like the Aachen palace and the Cologne Cathedral, or if you want to move south you can pretty easily form Switzerland.

I got to Duke before I read this. Would it be good to use the forced partition + forced council trick on the Kaiser?

wUnfortunately Gottingen and Aachen are both owned by big boy Angria right now:

And Cologne belongs to Utrecht, who is my ally.

Right now Zollern is the only county in my domain, and since its only a 3-holding county it'll only ever have 1 directly controlled barony. Should I think getting a bigger county and moving my realm capital there?

Also what should I do if a vassal is going to inherit another duchy and leave my realm?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VostokProgram posted:

Also what should I do if a vassal is going to inherit another duchy and leave my realm?

If you are king rank you can give them a duchy within your own realm and then that other duchy will become part of your kingdom instead

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you are king rank you can give them a duchy within your own realm and then that other duchy will become part of your kingdom instead

No I'm just a Duke.

e: aha, you can fabricate a claim on a vassal's county, and then you can revoke the title without tyranny! so i just took over the relevant county

Yaoi Gagarin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 21, 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good thing the patch fixed Swedish border gore, there were some real Franken-realms going on th-

I'm not responsible for any of this. The Francian emperor has a claim on West Francia for gently caress's sake just do it!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is it realistic that armies can freely transit through neutral territory in this time period?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No, crusaders moving through hungary made quite the diplomatic crisis.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Freddy had a good run but I think his days are numbered.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
War contribution: 0

Are you loving kidding me? I sieged down his capital and captured his king, resulting in 100% war score. Without me, he'd still be in the loving war with his troops just wandering around.

Give me the drat prestige and opinion modifier!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Really loving hate when a vassal murders me, is known to murder me, and the next king isn’t strong enough to arrest him and instead kicks off a civil war which he loving loses. And isn’t strong enough to stealthily murder the guy.

I want him dead. I want his family dead. I want his castle burned to the ground; I’m gonna go there in the middle of the night and piss on his ashes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PancakeTransmission posted:

Are you loving kidding me? I sieged down his capital and captured his king, resulting in 100% war score. Without me, he'd still be in the loving war with his troops just wandering around.

There is some bullshit going on with sieges where AI takes over sieges in almost all cases.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

eXXon posted:

I'm not responsible for any of this. The Francian emperor has a claim on West Francia for gently caress's sake just do it!

For some reason Francia seems to lose West France quite often in my games when I see Francia form. Even if they get it back somehow they lose it again.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

For some reason Francia seems to lose West France quite often in my games when I see Francia form. Even if they get it back somehow they lose it again.

unless Flanders gets split off early on (and thus remains Frisian) west francia will usually be by far the strongest kingdom in the empire of francia - it has more duchies to begin with BEFORE getting a massive duchy like flanders De Jure drifting into it.

So if any of the constituent kingdoms successfully revolt against the emperor, you can bet it will be west francia.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Knuc U Kinte posted:

There is some bullshit going on with sieges where AI takes over sieges in almost all cases.
And nope, I was watching the whole time. The captured king was my property. If I had known I would have not even gotten the ~100 prestige (when I have 12k :lol: ) I would have executed the fucker for some dread and stress relief.

Would love to know what makes this a good wife:

Perhaps "good wife for <blank>" meant nobody.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Perhaps "good wife for <blank>" meant nobody.

Boy I sure hope so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

VostokProgram posted:

This was pretty good advice, I'm duke of Swabia now. Poor Rudolf von Rhinefelden died and got replaced by some other rear end in a top hat so my marriage into his family wasnt that valuable. I ended up forging a claim on the duchy anyway and couping the Duke.

Well I guess it's academic now but that's usually fine. Deposed rulers still get pressed claims to be passed along, and there is always the option of starting a claimant faction to reinstall them if you want to do it super legitimately.

quote:

Right now Zollern is the only county in my domain, and since its only a 3-holding county it'll only ever have 1 directly controlled barony. Should I think getting a bigger county and moving my realm capital there?

Don't worry about that, worry about getting more counties. Seize them by force from the other counts in your duchy, or since you're already the Duke, fabricate claims and Revoke to gain more counties.

quote:

Fabricate and Revoke.

VostokProgram posted:

Is it realistic that armies can freely transit through neutral territory in this time period?

It's more realistic than armies being completely unable to march through neutral territory EU4 style, but period armies on the move were extremely dangerous things and a large army would be ruinous to nearly any area it passed through. Large armies in particular (large being anything more than five thousandish) did not have the logistical-administrative ability to bring sufficient supplies with them, and the solution was to use violence to convince the locals to supply them; this is what is politely called foraging.

With Crusader armies there was also crazy ideological stuff going on, lots of massacres of Jews just on their way out of Europe, and lots of massacring the inhabitants of any captured town regardless of faith.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Oct 21, 2020

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I do wonder if it's a stack overflow issue or some modifier being the wrong way around in the code; in my experience it seems like the more disproportionate your assistance is versus your ally, the less likely you are to get the credit. Yesterday I bailed out an ally who was about to be deposed by a vassal, who was at -90% war score with all his armies in retreating single-digit bits. I turned the war around single-handedly for a total of 190% war score and got absolutely nothing when he won. Then a bit later I got 100% contribution for a different war where my only contribution was to throw a small army into a battle my ally was already winning massively.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

theyve sort of replicated what it would be like with the supply limit system but its still not perfect, but i think its basically as realistic as it needs to be. supply limit in hostile and neutral territory should definitely get 'used up' though or something like that.

i fully expect a full warfare expansion at some point cause the system as it is now needs improvement

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am putting the HOI-style supply lines into the same bucket as teleporting MAA, things I find fun even if it makes no sense and will be sad when they inevitably improve on it lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The teleporting MAA has only ever been useful to me when I'm big enough to not need my levies and thus am already unstoppable. I'd probably be annoyed of they took it out, because I need it to alleviate the tedious bullshit of late game warfare.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Fabricate and Revoke.

Something I've wondered but never tested out - are vassals less likely to join a rebellion against a revoke attempt if you have a legal reason to revoke the title (such as a claim)? Or does it depend entirely on how much they like you relative to the vassal you're trying to revoke from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My queen died juuuust after conquering the kingdom of Norway. It sure was fun to find enough people to give all the counties to. Not a single duchy in the entire kingdom.
My heir now has the kingdoms of Scotland, Ireland, Burgundy (?) and Norway.
I jacked up the crown authority to absolute just before my queen died. I'm counting on a big revolt and then I can just lower it again, making my vassals happy and I'll have 10 years to get things in order without them joining a new faction.
Wish I kept all those Norse duchies though. After giving them out as new king, I'd have a ton of happy vassals. Oh well.