Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I've wondered but never tested out - are vassals less likely to join a rebellion against a revoke attempt if you have a legal reason to revoke the title (such as a claim)? Or does it depend entirely on how much they like you relative to the vassal you're trying to revoke from?

I’ve found that no matter how in the right I am, it depends on the personality of the people who want to gently caress me over. I’ve had two smoking gun legitimate reasons for imprison/revoke and both times kicked off kingdom wide wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I've wondered but never tested out - are vassals less likely to join a rebellion against a revoke attempt if you have a legal reason to revoke the title (such as a claim)? Or does it depend entirely on how much they like you relative to the vassal you're trying to revoke from?

My experience is that revoking if you have no valid reason (invoking tyranny) makes it much more likely your other vassals will rebel. If you have a claim the vassal might rebel, but they're unlikely to be joined by anyone else. But this assumes you are generally well-liked to begin with, if you're hated it might be very different.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Could be wrong, but I *think* how it works is that if a vassal rebels and is in a faction, that faction rebels, act of tyranny or not.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Could be wrong, but I *think* how it works is that if a vassal rebels and is in a faction, that faction rebels, act of tyranny or not.

I'd be careful with this too, on one occasion I tried to imprison a faction leader and it said if it failed the faction would rebel, but what actually happened was literally every single vassal in my empire rebelled, which was quite a bit more than just the faction members.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I would like to know this as well. Personally I hate it when all the guys I just invested with nice Kingdom titles jump right into revolts against me.

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah this is the minimum you will get if a faction exists. But more can join in as well.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sometimes it just makes no sense too. I had about 15 vassals all with 100 opinion of me, including my best friend, rebel when I legally seized someone's title. It was a bitch to put down, it was a large chunk of my realm. I have no idea why they all joined, there were no factions aside from peasants at the time and I had a claim on the title.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Maybe he had hooks on them. Was he intrigue focused?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

When you’ve hit empire level, is there any way for confederate partition to give your primary heir two duchies if you have 2+ sons?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

When you’ve hit empire level, is there any way for confederate partition to give your primary heir two duchies if you have 2+ sons?

I don't believe so.*

*It might be possible doing the elective succession primary heir-swap cheese I've heard about, but I'm not familiar with that method and I've never done it so I'd probably describe it wrong.

vvv Using kingdom titles to dodge it makes sense.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 21, 2020

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Under confederate (?) Partition, if the succession grants a new possible title (like a duchy) does it pull the gold from somewhere or just magic up the title?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It just magics up the title.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

If your other sons have Kingdoms then yes.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Oh cool, the Mongol Horde can decide to go for empires as far away as Africa. Found this out as I was cleaning up the last bits of Africa, got enough for the uncreated Empire of Abyssinia and inherited a war (guessing the Mongols just went for a weak enemy). Took them almost 3 years to actually appear on my coast and they wrecked my poo poo for a few years until the combined efforts of literally every single mercenary in the list, 2 allies with ~30k power each, and my own 50k army. Except when one ally lost a single battle, and then left and never came back. Thanks guys! :waycool:

Once I destroyed their special army (which doesn't come back), I had to wait until the Mongol leader died (was waiting for war score to tick to 100% due to controlling the target) because my other alternative was sending my troops on a 2 year mission to their capital, which would have been a perfect time for some angry vassal to fight me. I could have gone for white peace but I wanted them to surrender, guess them dying is a white peace anyway.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

If your other sons have Kingdoms then yes.

Ooo need another kingdom then

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Really wish that vassal kings didn't go independent when they win Crusade territory.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

shut up blegum posted:

I jacked up the crown authority to absolute just before my queen died. I'm counting on a big revolt and then I can just lower it again, making my vassals happy and I'll have 10 years to get things in order without them joining a new faction.

This went exactly as planned :discourse:
I love it when a plan comes together.
Also my wife tried to murder me, I failed to imprison her and some time later we became best friends. Weird.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Executing 30 crusader captives in a fit of rage because I just lost a civil war caused by trying to arrest the duke that murdered my father, the last king. This wound up jacking up my dread so high that all dissent stopped and I was able to arrest the duke and execute him after stripping him of all of his titles.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I’ve figured out that when my ruler is getting old to have a pile of heretics etc. in the dungeon all ready to go. That way when he croaks my heir can spike up the dread for a much smoother transition. :getin:

Does the HRE or Byzantine empire ever fracture on its own?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My strategy to get out of debt is winning crusades :hmmyes:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I only ever get unlanded penniless commoners who happen to be visiting someone's court to show up in that thing. Once I was able to arrest and banish some pox-riddled lady who had 500 gold, but that was a one time deal and normally they have literally nothing and nobody cares about them and no reason to even be around. I leave them alone until I think I may need hooks for a stabbing plot or something.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I think it's a function of how big your realm is. In my Russian empire, I ran find secrets after suspecting my wife was up ta somethin' for the first time in a 10 year reign and w o a h I had blackmail on half my vassals. New secrets every tic. Guess if you aren't out conquering, you're fornicating. Maybe that's why warmongering is holy to Asatru?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I think it's a function of how big your realm is. In my Russian empire, I ran find secrets after suspecting my wife was up ta somethin' for the first time in a 10 year reign and w o a h I had blackmail on half my vassals. New secrets every tic. Guess if you aren't out conquering, you're fornicating. Maybe that's why warmongering is holy to Asatru?

Blackmail sure, but the people that show up in the "can be imprisoned" thing are always broke af

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Wish I didn't need to click every prisoner in my jail one at a time to choose what to do with them. It would be cool if there was some UI element I could click it just asks it cycles through everyone for me, and all I need to do is say Yea or Nay on if they get ransomed or whatever. Would honestly speed things up way more. Same with imprisoning everyone.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Wrr posted:

Wish I didn't need to click every prisoner in my jail one at a time to choose what to do with them. It would be cool if there was some UI element I could click it just asks it cycles through everyone for me, and all I need to do is say Yea or Nay on if they get ransomed or whatever. Would honestly speed things up way more. Same with imprisoning everyone.

I cant parse if this is ironic because there's exactly such "mass" buttons for each option at the bottom of the screen but they are tiny and not indicated to you at all

in summary CK3 is a land of contrasts

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Excelzior posted:

I cant parse if this is ironic because there's exactly such "mass" buttons for each option at the bottom of the screen but they are tiny and not indicated to you at all

There are problems with those buttons, like sometimes I want to ransom for a favor or release for a favor (all the time if I have Golden Obligations) but the mass-X buttons don't do that, and frankly most of the time the mass-ransom button doesn't seem to work very well. I can click it, but it won't ransom all of the characters in my dungeon who can be ransomed, and while sometimes it seems like it's because of the expected "can only demand ransom for one prisoner from a particular person at a time", other times it doesn't seem to be because of that.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

I leave them alone until I think I may need hooks for a stabbing plot or something.
After only 20 hours I can confidently say you should always be stabbing

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's think it's more of a request to cycle through them quickly with an option to kill, ransom, ignore, to quickly go through everyone in the prison, rather than just hit one of the mass-orders to deal with them all the same. Even with an exclude from mass toggle it can be cumbersome to manage a large amount of prisoners with any precision.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I think the late-game empire drudgery has less to do with any actual war maneuvering and is all about "Prisoners can be ransomed - 27"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My complaint with end game warfare is that it's just mind bogglingly easy. The only challenge is in acquiring CBs, once you have them any AI (except middle-game Pope) is trivial to defeat because they don't hire MaA in quantity, opting instead to continuously bankrupt themselves raising thousands of worthless levies.

I really want to ask someone on the team if they predicted MaA being as powerful as they are, because it's really begs the question of why the AI doesn't seem to know about that. Personally I like that they're so strong, and the current state is exactly how MaA vs Levies fights should go (see: Battle of Civetot), but until the AI is taught to prioritize MaA over levies it's like playing with cheat codes on.

I'm also of the opinion that conquests should be easy, hanging on to them should be the difficult part.

Wrr posted:

Well if you're actually going to ransom them, the suggestions UI is actually a much better place to do it from, you can just click-Enter and rapidly cycle through ransomables that way.

Which is not to say there aren't problems of course. The mass ransom button is broken once again, there is no way to mass ransom for favors (often a better option with your vassals), and the mass release button spams you with completely useless popups telling you about the +20 relations you received with everybody individually. Not sure how they missed converting that to a side bar notification in the patch like they did with ransoms.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Kinetica posted:

After only 20 hours I can confidently say you should always be stabbing

You're not wrong, but unless the person I currently am stabbing has one of those pointless guests in their court, I'd rather hold off on getting a hook that expires until I expect to be within one or two stabs of them being useful to a plot.

Then I shake my head slowly as that hook gives me +0.5% chance of success and +1% chance of not being detected because it's a useless random lady in court who has no actual influence or ties to anything involving stabs.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

:lol: my wife started a game to play on her own while I'm working or doing something else. I heard her start cackling, and she just got a tinder event, putting lady portraits in either the left or the right pile. One duke's wife said not to reply if you're not over 6 feet tall.

Stupid as hell but it was pretty hilarious. Think she's gonna hook up with a cute albino.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Excelzior posted:

:aaa:

PittTheElder posted:

Well if you're actually going to ransom them, the suggestions UI is actually a much better place to do it from, you can just click-Enter and rapidly cycle through ransomables that way.

Which is not to say there aren't problems of course. The mass ransom button is broken once again, there is no way to mass ransom for favors (often a better option with your vassals), and the mass release button spams you with completely useless popups telling you about the +20 relations you received with everybody individually. Not sure how they missed converting that to a side bar notification in the patch like they did with ransoms.

Yeah, sometimes its a mass ransom, sometimes mass convert, sometimes maybe mass imprison but I want to see the chance to succeed before I choose which way to go. Show me them one at a time, let me hit like, the 1-5 keys to choose between the various options.

Hell let me swipe left or right like Shortspecialbus' wife was doing apparently.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

PittTheElder posted:

My complaint with end game warfare is that it's just mind bogglingly easy. The only challenge is in acquiring CBs, once you have them any AI (except middle-game Pope) is trivial to defeat because they don't hire MaA in quantity, opting instead to continuously bankrupt themselves raising thousands of worthless levies.

I really want to ask someone on the team if they predicted MaA being as powerful as they are, because it's really begs the question of why the AI doesn't seem to know about that. Personally I like that they're so strong, and the current state is exactly how MaA vs Levies fights should go (see: Battle of Civetot), but until the AI is taught to prioritize MaA over levies it's like playing with cheat codes on.

I'm also of the opinion that conquests should be easy, hanging on to them should be the difficult part.

I just flat out prefer the CK2 system. While called levy they were meant to represent the part time soldiers, and as such are classed into the various soldier types instead of just 'levy trash'. Having them rally on the map was better, having your retinue always be there instead of able to instant transmission was good. I dunno, I think war is going to need an entire dlc dedicated to making it not awful in ck3.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Everytime a battle is fought in CK3 the player should have to play an entire game of stratego or something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Wrr posted:

Everytime a battle is fought in CK3 the player should have to play an entire game of stratego or something.

Clearly they need to team up with CA and we launch Total War.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Eimi posted:

Clearly they need to team up with CA and we launch Total War.

If it’s war hammer total war I’m in

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Personally I think CK3 only needs some small tweaks on the warfare front, like making MAA take time to rally rather than teleport, a buff to levies from innovations, and maybe a rebalance of the buildings and bonus buffs. I would certainly not want to see a return to the CK2 system, as in the way buildings and levies interacted there, as it was extremely micro-management heavy for little gain. If there's something positive to say about it is the building bonuses make a difference and it's pretty easy to come up with an idea of what you want to go for and work towards it. Simplicity so I can get past it and get back to the character stuff/realm management is what I want, basically.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm super glad that the ck2 system to get your troops on boats is gone. That sucked so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m a big fan of the AI bankrupting itself every war by repeatedly embarking and disembarking its troops.