Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My king died and he had 2 daughters. The 4 kingdoms got spread evenly between them.
My ruler is now 16 years old, her sister is 14. I had a murder plot ready to fire, but I just couldn't do it. I kinda want to see how it goes with her kingdoms, let her expand on her own.
Eventually everything will come back. I'm too soft for this game lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

shut up blegum posted:

My king died and he had 2 daughters. The 4 kingdoms got spread evenly between them.
My ruler is now 16 years old, her sister is 14. I had a murder plot ready to fire, but I just couldn't do it. I kinda want to see how it goes with her kingdoms, let her expand on her own.

Right there with you. I love playing as an efficient steward. I consolidate and do the least amount of war possible in order to hold what is mine by right. I very very very rarely use murder plots.

But now I’m playing as a sadistic deceitful intrigue focused player and it is so against type for how I want to play. Not even sure what to do with intrigue tbh. Having secrets and hooks doesn’t really work when I’m trying to, like, take someone’s kingdom to unite my empire.

edit: I did successfully pull off a suicide with my precious character! That was one for the bucket list. It even fit in story as he made his daughter ill in the one murder plot I tried to pull off when I found out I was somehow 2nd in line for the HRE

Goddamn is it a prestige hit though

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I kind of wish there were more things to spend prestige (and piety) on. With a decently set up realm, you get a few lean years at the beginning of every generation but then always up with a bajillion useless points.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

Had something similar happen to me back in ck2. I was in England trying to create the empire of Britannia. The hot young power couple of the Karlings in mainland Europe were both like 18, on top of the world with the wife about to give birth. But she has twin daughters, dies in childbirth, and Papa karling can't handle it and commits suicide a week later splitting their massive realm down the middle with two infant girls to rule each half.

They were both in such a dangerous spot that either was willing to accept a normal marriage so I jumped on a betrothal to the western daughter because I felt like the east had more dangerous enemies on their borders and that eastern daughter would have a tougher go of it.

I felt like trying to assassinate eastern daughter to have my bride to be inherit everything but I couldn't bring myself to do it. As they grew up, western daughter developed a learning disability and a love of cakes and basically sat in her bedroom trying to fit square pegs in round holes for 16 years. Meanwhile, eastern daughter basically became Joan of Arc, the most badass commander on the planet while fighting off invaders as soon as she was able. I knew Joan was going to be eying her sister's juicy kingdoms as soon as she had a break fighting off her other enemies, but I still couldn't bring myself to move against her because I was so impressed with how she was doing.

They both turn 19 or 20 and Joan finally declares war on her sister. It's a pretty hopeless looking situation based on numbers and Joan leading her own army. But before they can rally their army and march west, a religious peasant revolt breaks out over their capital and forces a fight there. Joan gets bonked on the head, is knocked in to a coma, and dies a few weeks later. War over, talentless lazy western sister inherits everything and becomes the most powerful person on earth :byob1:

Watching things develop like that from the sidelines sometimes is one of my favorite parts of this game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I refuse to disinherit any of my beautiful boys and girls, elder boy will just have to deal with a smaller demesne

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just started a new Herbert of Vermandois game, the King of France just converted to Orthodoxy and it's not even 1090 yet.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Is there a way to generate random males of your culture and religion, as in CK2? I was playing a Rurikid run last night, conquering the various kingdoms and I ran out of males to grant land to. I ended having to grant land to people of other religions and cultures. Outrageous!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Moreau posted:

Is there a way to generate random males of your culture and religion, as in CK2? I was playing a Rurikid run last night, conquering the various kingdoms and I ran out of males to grant land to. I ended having to grant land to people of other religions and cultures. Outrageous!

Did you try to press the "search for physician" and "recruit knights" buttons? I'm not completely sure how those work, it's possible it may sometimes generate characters of your faith/culture.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

trapped mouse posted:

Did you try to press the "search for physician" and "recruit knights" buttons? I'm not completely sure how those work, it's possible it may sometimes generate characters of your faith/culture.

They’re not generated characters but just wanderers that fit. I’ve gotten Muslim knights when I was hispania.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea invite knights is the easiest one, invite claimants is another; they may not be your faith but you can usually just demand they convert. As Rurik in particular you're going to be in a rough spot almost no matter what though, the key is just to concubine it up and create males to had poo poo out to.

Personally though I think I've played myself out of this game now. All the insanity around religion, and the AI's complete incompetence at warfare (I have watched my liege suicide his army into fights where he greatly outnumbered like 5 times tonight) is just too much to handle.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any way to see my feudal structure as a tree like in CK2? Managing my vassals is starting to become a pain, since as far as I can tell the only way to see them all is in an unsortable list in the realm menu.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Personally though I think I've played myself out of this game now. All the insanity around religion, and the AI's complete incompetence at warfare (I have watched my liege suicide his army into fights where he greatly outnumbered like 5 times tonight) is just too much to handle.

I can live with that for the most part, the thing that is really getting me is my dynasty not doing matri-marriages with daughters in the line of succession. I can live with the AI not doing it for random dynasties, but for the player dynasty they should always do matrilineal marriages for any daughters/sisters that can inherit. In the game I'm working on now, I've lost so many random duchies and counties out of my dynasty because the AI never does any by default. We even lost the Catholic Aquitaine kingdom that I won for us in the first Crusade, because the daughter of the beneficiary inherited, and had a normal marriage to a random courtier.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there any way to see my feudal structure as a tree like in CK2? Managing my vassals is starting to become a pain, since as far as I can tell the only way to see them all is in an unsortable list in the realm menu.

There is not, and there really should be. Also they should bring back the map modes that let you see all sub-realms of specific sizes.

ThatJesus
May 30, 2009

binge crotching posted:

I can live with that for the most part, the thing that is really getting me is my dynasty not doing matri-marriages with daughters in the line of succession. I can live with the AI not doing it for random dynasties, but for the player dynasty they should always do matrilineal marriages for any daughters/sisters that can inherit. In the game I'm working on now, I've lost so many random duchies and counties out of my dynasty because the AI never does any by default. We even lost the Catholic Aquitaine kingdom that I won for us in the first Crusade, because the daughter of the beneficiary inherited, and had a normal marriage to a random courtier.

Actually, what would make this game even better is a set of dynasty "laws" you can set...

Like spend prestige as the dynasty head to prefer matrilineal marriages or alliance marriages, or maybe set a broad lifestyle focus. Something to influence the AI dynasty members to fall in line with your overall goals.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
This is a dumb question but has anyone taken a shot as playing in Socotra? I’d love to play as a Nestorian but looking at that tiny island makes me wonder if it isn’t a one-way ticket to Game Over City

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I do actually see their point regarding AI matrilineal marriages, but I also feel like they should at least provide some pressure on that AI to at least pull a Habsburg with AI female rulers and heiresses, if they aren't going to matrimarry push them to marry someone in their dynasty.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

happyphage posted:

This is a dumb question but has anyone taken a shot as playing in Socotra? I’d love to play as a Nestorian but looking at that tiny island makes me wonder if it isn’t a one-way ticket to Game Over City

Depends on how quickly you can amass the cash to get off the island. They're not inherently bad from a defensive standpoint since the enemy will have to deal with that disembark penalty on every invasion, but of course, that doesn't protect you from just being ousted in any of a dozen different ways.

I had the same worry at the beginning of my current Corsican run, but it's become more of a strength over time it turns out.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

There is not, and there really should be. Also they should bring back the map modes that let you see all sub-realms of specific sizes.

Wait huh?

You can use realm, duchy, kingdom, empire map modes? You can also control click on a top realm on the map and it will show the constituent realms that make it up. Or are you referring to something different?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ThatJesus posted:

Actually, what would make this game even better is a set of dynasty "laws" you can set...

Like spend prestige as the dynasty head to prefer matrilineal marriages or alliance marriages, or maybe set a broad lifestyle focus. Something to influence the AI dynasty members to fall in line with your overall goals.

That would be really nice, I agree.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I just found a powerful duchess from a well-known dynasty who married a lowborn man patrilineally, so all her children and heirs are lowborn. Like, what the hell, why is that even possible lol

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Blimpkin posted:

Wait huh?

You can use realm, duchy, kingdom, empire map modes? You can also control click on a top realm on the map and it will show the constituent realms that make it up. Or are you referring to something different?

Those are de jure, you used to be able to see the actual borders of each tier ruler. And the double click thing only works for one top level realm at a time, instead of letting you see multiple

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah it can be annoying to have to keep switching between duchy view and reality county-level view when handing out titles.

Genghis Khan has just died, leaving the Mongolian empire at roughly half the map. And they're tribal but have high partition. With the stability of large realms, this is never getting meaningfully broken up or challenged. My map just got a whole lot less interesting. I do not understand that design choice.

Mid to late game is getting pretty dull. I'm working on founding my university and that's about the only point of interest for me.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Am working on a “mother of us all run” I picked the “bitches run this poo poo” option near the start and everything was going great. I just reformed the bori faith, and didn’t change the gender preference option. Now all my children inherit instead of just the girls and it’s a loving mess. My current ruler has 2 daughters and 8 sons 😭

Don’t make the same mistake I did!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

Well that's annoying. The more I play the more I'm starting to feel like a lot of the UI changes were a step back from CK2. It looks pretty, but the functionality is way down.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Jaytan posted:

Am working on a “mother of us all run” I picked the “bitches run this poo poo” option near the start and everything was going great. I just reformed the bori faith, and didn’t change the gender preference option. Now all my children inherit instead of just the girls and it’s a loving mess. My current ruler has 2 daughters and 8 sons 😭

Don’t make the same mistake I did!
Also if you don't change the faith preference, the AI still will not look for matrilineal marriages. You may find this problematic down the line when some 45+ year old lady with patrilineal-descent kids inherits by accident.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Strange things happen on shores of White Sea

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also with my last game I was trying to get an armored cavalry MaA setup and it's just not great. There's no buildings to boost their stats in the early game, and they are hamstrung by being twice as expensive for half the number of troops, in addition to potential counteraction from pikemen (which are generally ubiquitous).

Another insanely weird outcome for such a central feature of the time period.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

Yeah it can be annoying to have to keep switching between duchy view and reality county-level view when handing out titles.

Genghis Khan has just died, leaving the Mongolian empire at roughly half the map. And they're tribal but have high partition. With the stability of large realms, this is never getting meaningfully broken up or challenged. My map just got a whole lot less interesting. I do not understand that design choice.

Mid to late game is getting pretty dull. I'm working on founding my university and that's about the only point of interest for me.

If I recall the Mongol Empire is supposed to eventually dissolve into several empires via a special scripted event, like the Golden Horde and such. But I think it takes a couple of generations?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I suck at this game because I keep getting roflstomped by Alba in the mid 950s and can't figure out how to break them up/wait them out. Conceding when I am 5:1 to one army only works so much. Assassinating vassals/leaders doesn't work either.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mooseontheloose posted:

I suck at this game because I keep getting roflstomped by Alba in the mid 950s and can't figure out how to break them up/wait them out. Conceding when I am 5:1 to one army only works so much. Assassinating vassals/leaders doesn't work either.

Prioritize alliances with them?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Prioritize alliances with them?

I was doing ok with that until they hated my new king and couldn't find an heir to marry to them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

If I recall the Mongol Empire is supposed to eventually dissolve into several empires via a special scripted event, like the Golden Horde and such. But I think it takes a couple of generations?

Every time it happens to me I completely miss it. I just check back on the area later and every trace of the Mongols is just... gone. Although I haven't played since the last patch which apparently made the initial conquest a lot more aggressive, so maybe the successor states will be more viable now.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Was there consensus on how to end the reign of the pope? He excommunicated me, so I fabricated claims on all his land over the course of a decade and then beat him in a war with a doom stack of 100k troops just annihilating his mercenaries.

But now he has the papacy and a kingdom that I cannot usurp despite holding all the land for. He is my vassal though.

I want him gone.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Not without being muslim or norse I believe.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Dismantling the Papacy is so hard, too. Not even because of the Catholics, I keep finding the Byzantines holding a lot of Italia, and you can only do so many wars per generation against one enemy...

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Red Crown posted:

Dismantling the Papacy is so hard, too. Not even because of the Catholics, I keep finding the Byzantines holding a lot of Italia, and you can only do so many wars per generation against one enemy...

I have it all! It’s all mine! I just want this fucker ground to dust for daring to excommunicate me

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah I murdered the Mongolian emperors until that event happened. It's less of a mess now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Red Crown posted:

FYI, the truce break penalty doesn't stack, if you don't mind gaming it up...

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Man. Creating your own religion with equal rights between men and women is great. I love finally being able to give my daughters titles.

Seriously did not thing my callous intrigue character would be the one to amass so much faith that he created a medieval utopia with gay love and equal rights.

Also: being able to pick your chaplain is great. Firing a 3 intellect for a 24 is so rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Dwesa posted:

Strange things happen on shores of White Sea

Idgi this achievement? It's basically 'be an only child for 3 generations'? I feel like I'm missing something.