Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don't hate the subscription idea here as long as it doesn't become the only way to get the DLC. If it's an either/or thing (alongside just buying the DLC) t seems pretty harmless. Basically my take is,

Jabor posted:

If I could have spent $5 every time I had the hankering for some CK2, played it for a week, then went back to something else, it would have been way cheaper for me than actually keeping up with the DLC train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think CK lacks a lot on the economic and social aspect

I mean, I wish we would not only deal with the aristocracy and their politics, but also the real people

This is where you are wrong.

(but really I agree. something like spend gold in a province to raise approval or having new development have some modifier besides control would be nice)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

ilitarist posted:

...Remember when Creative Assembly had the most outrageous DLC policy?

Wait not really, what did they do that was so bad? People got peeved about the retailer-specific preorder bonus factions in Shogun 2, and I guess the blood packs, but otherwise their stuff hasn't really been that bad.

Paradox's has also if anything improved. Back when EU4 launched the songs, unit models, advisor packs, and random extras were all sold separately. Now it's at least consolidated. The flavor packs / bigger DLC models also seems to be mostly a pretty good way of doing things.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
People were really mad at CA for Rome 2 factions. Like no Sparta on release (and no Seleucids?.. might be misremembering) but there's Pontus. Blood packs are indeed bad too cause they insist on dumb explanations about the ESRB rating. As late as Attila there were "lazy" faction packs. Haven't played a lot of them myself but many expansions do look underwhelming. On paper Warhammer 1 it looked like a horrible cash grab cause release version had 4 factions plus preorder Chaos, the most iconic faction of the setting.

Of course later it turned out great. No mechanics are ever behind paywall. Everything added in expansion is still on the map, it's just you can't play as new factions. For every 2 factions they sell you they give 1 for free etc. But it's a recent development.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Sparta was in on release in the Greek cities preorder dlc. Seleucids were added later for free yeah.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Doing well, but having a hard time getting a claim on the imperial throne. <_<

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Can't you just take the stewardship (?) focus that lets you fabricate on your liege's title and start a war for it?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Marrying your heir to a child of the Emperor is usually the way to go.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
hmm I can't get the game to load with mods. I've created new playsets and used the "reload installed mods" button but the game just always loads as vanilla (although the checksum does say "Modified" so I dunno). There's no extra in game option to enable mods is there?

e: hmm it works if I just enable one mod. I guess I gotta go through my list and figure out which one is breaking it

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 20, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I picked the game up last week and absolutely love it, except combat itself is lacking any real oomph.

It seems when I goto war it's mostly just whack a mole, chasing various armies around or laying siege on their claim while they lay siege to mine.

Combat also goes by so fast with no real input that it seems so anti climactic.

I never really played CK2, did they patch the combat at all to make it feel a bit more engaging?

I most like playing as a county and working my way up from there with a custom leader.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Hizawk posted:

I picked the game up last week and absolutely love it, except combat itself is lacking any real oomph.

It seems when I goto war it's mostly just whack a mole, chasing various armies around or laying siege on their claim while they lay siege to mine.

Combat also goes by so fast with no real input that it seems so anti climactic.

I never really played CK2, did they patch the combat at all to make it feel a bit more engaging?

I most like playing as a county and working my way up from there with a custom leader.

nah the combat in ck2 is pretty much identical to ck3 if you're not doing a deep dive into tactics and troop ratios theory

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Hizawk posted:

this is what war is like in most paradox games unfortunately

it's been a complaint forever

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hizawk posted:

That's a feature, not a bug. Crusader Kings is a medieval politics simulator, not a combat simulator.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yeah, combat is usually elevated in games cause we're used to historical epic movies. You might just as well make an argument for much more involved city building, or being a realm judge. As in most rulers even in medieval world haven't ever commanded an army in battle.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

or being a realm judge

drat that would be cool actually

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

As far as I know that was like the main job of a ruler. You sit there and resolve disputes. CK has some of this through events. CK1 even had something like that with different lands having different power of different social stratas. It'd be cool to see progress as in going from a tribe to a semi-modern beuracratic empire based on written law, and that is achieved partly by solving disputes. Cities get rights because they'd rather pay to a distant king than a local lord, monasteries get rights because the king doesn't want to fight the Pope, all those decisions.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What the gently caress. A claimant decided to leave my court, I told him good riddance 4 times and this event still keeps popping up for the same character, maybe he has nowhere to go?

E: ahh, he is actually my son :D

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Sekenr posted:

What the gently caress. A claimant decided to leave my court, I told him good riddance 4 times and this event still keeps popping up for the same character, maybe he has nowhere to go?

E: ahh, he is actually my son :D

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Various Meat Products posted:

Can't you just take the stewardship (?) focus that lets you fabricate on your liege's title and start a war for it?

Forgot about that one.

Did it and won the civil war that followed. Had a ton of kids who weren't betrothed so I immediately betrothed them to sons/daughters of all my new powerful vassals. So, it's looking pretty stable so far.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

DDs continue, starting with some patch previews. Looks nice.

Winters, map changes to Ireland and Italy

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
At this point, "New Irish Provinces" is a given every other update in Paradox games.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Nice, winter! I'll be honest, the troop attrition mechanics aren't that fun for me, but might be nice to hold a winter kingdom and watch invaders starve to death on your doorstep.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I don’t expect winter to be at all impactful for gameplay the vast majority of the time. But it’s good enough for me to just look nice and add some dynamism to the map.

Hopefully they continue adding more season stuff over time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm sad they didn't add Farmland to the Po valley.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does winter make swordsmen even more powerful? A negative hit on horsemen helps them.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I like that they're adding it but my initial take is that this is just another nerf to AI across the board, as managing supplies and figuring out when they're about to get rocked by men-at-arms with stacked bonuses are the sorts of thing they're already very bad at. As it is you can already pretty much lead a doomstack in a ring around the rosie until they're all starving to death and winter will just made it happen faster. Also the nerf to cavalry in particular will just make the mongols even less of a threat.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

SlothBear posted:

I like that they're adding it but my initial take is that this is just another nerf to AI across the board, as managing supplies and figuring out when they're about to get rocked by men-at-arms with stacked bonuses are the sorts of thing they're already very bad at. As it is you can already pretty much lead a doomstack in a ring around the rosie until they're all starving to death and winter will just made it happen faster. Also the nerf to cavalry in particular will just make the mongols even less of a threat.

Paradox doesn't normally shy away from just letting the AI get a freebie on attrition, which I bet is gonna happen here again.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

THE BAR posted:

Paradox doesn't normally shy away from just letting the AI get a freebie on attrition, which I bet is gonna happen here again.

in ck3 they seem to get owned pretty hard by it, you can chase them into your territory and make them lose hundreds of men by making them walk past baronies.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wonder what this is gonna do for the Game of Thrones mod, lol

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Wonder if this opens the door to modeling rainy season type stuff. Would be interesting if they created battle of Agincourt scenario with mud and rain murdering cavalry and boosting archers or various little things like that... although maybe a daily rain check calculation would be resource heavy and more effort then its worth.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

A map that includes Bangladesh should also feature monsoons, and if they are not included in the next patch with the Rota system I will be so mad.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Rota system kinda needs some way of playing as a landless noble. It assumes you can exist outside of landed nobility. Like all those Novgorod princes who were basically invited to rule who were unlikely to inherit anything.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thinking on this more, I don't really like the addition of weather in theory. Months/years pass so quickly that it seems like it'll always be something to think about in the relevant regions, and I don't think another logistics factor is what this game needs. Much more interested in adding layers to the political/interpersonal stuff.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Rota system kinda needs some way of playing as a landless noble. It assumes you can exist outside of landed nobility. Like all those Novgorod princes who were basically invited to rule who were unlikely to inherit anything.

The Imperial system Rome deserves would be extremely well served by this as well. The question is just how you prevent a sea of landless nobles from overwhelming the game, or what you do if you're playing as one.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Focus on land owning in general is an atavism for the game, I think. Dynasties have lost the land and came back somewhere else. Feudal lords didn't care about specific land they held as much as earlier or later rulers. Rota system is just the best example of it: I am now ruler of Kiev so screw that Polotsk duchy I held previously. Another thing is it feels anyone who's anyone is supposed to be a land owner. it was especially weird in CK2 societies which apparently only let you in if your domain is big enough to be visible from space. Guest system in CK3 helps with that, but it's still not enough. And naturally it doesn't work well for court-focused imperial governments where offices were more important than non-inheritable land owning.

As for non-landowner bloat - EURome and Imperator had a solution in Prominence stat. If your prominence is low you do not do much of anything. You get prominence from extreme traits and titles and ties to important people. If you're not prominent you fall into obscurity.

There are already some activities nit connected to land. Family raising, sitting in someone's council, scheming. They might add something for war (allowing player to become an adventurer, maybe mercenary) and economy (this would probably work with expanded republics and some non-government economics like trade route control) and you'll have all you need for your landless fun.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 24, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ilitarist posted:

Rota system is just the best example of it: I am now ruler of Kiev so screw that Polotsk duchy I held previously.

This in particular is something desperately needed all over the place, notably Western Europeans going off to become Crusader (King)s. The initial creation is kinda-sorta-actually-not-very okay, but if a family member inherits some distant land they shouldn't just get to rule both, there should be a choice for one or the other, and recognition that one person cannot personally govern counties on different sides of continents.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

ilitarist posted:

I think in CK2 you could survive as a merchant republic patrician with just your family palace. Maybe something like that that would be the way to go.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daktar posted:

I think in CK2 you could survive as a merchant republic patrician with just your family palace. Maybe something like that that would be the way to go.

It would be sick if the player could do this. Make it super restrictive on what you can do like a Last Chance scenario if you become unlanded. If you have claims you could get invited around to the courts of potential supporters (and also you could be tricked into getting killed by the holders of the titles you claim). Once your claims wear off through normal game mechanics, Game Over. Someone smart and cool and good at making videogames, turn this into a DLC.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm not exactly confident that the systems will ever be in place for CK that could substitute wholly for owning landed titles. Playing as a not-doge patrician in CK2 was pretty dull and restrictive. Still, there are concepts not necessarily tied to land that should exist for players to battle over and interact with. Maybe if you add enough of them, you could eventually allow for an interesting experience via landless play, but that might be ambitious for a single expansion. It might even take some mods. With that said, I do hope things like landless offices, titles, and estates are something on Paradox's radar for the near future, even if it's not something that's intended to replace landed play.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I think it could probably work if you add it as a way to schmooze your way to the top or to run a mercenary company or templar order or something. Maybe also add progression mechanics to your dynasty (more than already exist) not linked to improving holdings, launching adventures to far-off places to conquer them for yourself like the Normans did, etc.

Would do wonders also for mods like elder kings