Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I did a thing in Ironman, go me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

This seems excessive.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It really seems more over-lands than over-seas at that point.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

scaterry posted:

44 years? holy gently caress

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
And you're Jewish.

What the hell.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Wtf, how did you do that in 44 years?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

44 years? holy gently caress

Yeah that's pretty crazy.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Fader Movitz posted:

Wtf, how did you do that in 44 years?

I put my writeup here. It's pretty in-depth.

edit: my very small request to the devs. please make outremer (culture) outremer (color)

scaterry fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 26, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Genghis kneels before the glory of the Jewish Outremer

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

scaterry posted:

edit: my very small request to the devs. please make outremer (culture) outremer (color)

Wow, this is completely insane. Amazing work, I could never do this.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Wow, this is completely insane. Amazing work, I could never do this.

Agreed. I've been reading these writeups and I'm not that patient. The 200*marriage/divorce trick alone would have sent me over. I love reading these though.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

scaterry posted:

Yeah, I'm impressed and also confident I'd never have the patience for that after reading your guide.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, bless you for doing it so nobody else has to.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
If I invade a neighboring king and take a duchy from him, will the vassals I acquire hate me for going to war with their former liege?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Nope.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

scaterry posted:

Now convert this to EU for extra flexing power.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Spaseman posted:

If I invade a neighboring king and take a duchy from him, will the vassals I acquire hate me for going to war with their former liege?

Might even like you better if your their culture/religion/de jure liege and the neighbor wasn't

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I'm thoroughly frustrated with the AI and battles in this. My allies keep leaving sieges to charge headlong into 5:1 odds or bailing right before a fight. There's still no attach army option, right? Also, the enemy can just pop up a 6k stack in front of my advancing army even when their military strength on declaring war was <1k. I'm now looking at a Scotland that holds parts of 3 duchies and has raised at least 16,000 troops, each time directly in front of my army as it travels. What am I missing here? It seems like the early game is better and more fleshed out than CK2 and being a part of a dynasty feels more like a thing, but the combat is much, much worse. Any tips?

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
The AI often has tons of cash it will use to buy mercs. You should check for that too before declaring war.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Frances Nurples posted:

I'm thoroughly frustrated with the AI and battles in this. My allies keep leaving sieges to charge headlong into 5:1 odds or bailing right before a fight. There's still no attach army option, right? Also, the enemy can just pop up a 6k stack in front of my advancing army even when their military strength on declaring war was <1k. I'm now looking at a Scotland that holds parts of 3 duchies and has raised at least 16,000 troops, each time directly in front of my army as it travels. What am I missing here? It seems like the early game is better and more fleshed out than CK2 and being a part of a dynasty feels more like a thing, but the combat is much, much worse. Any tips?

Given that every count with one crumbling tower and two drunken archers at its top has enough money to raise several thousands mercenaries, military strength measure is worse than useless. It's misleading.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm annoyed that being Apostolic disables the Hagia Sofia. <_<

Shouldn't I at least have the chance to remodel it like the Ottomans did?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao this game rules. i made an incredibly lovely italian jewish earl in the 867 start. i was eventually forced to fight for my independence against the queen of italy at the turn of the 10th century which i won by ransoming the pope and various italian kings to buy mercs

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 1, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Doing well

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
dev diary's out!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/crusader-kings-3-dev-diary-50-poetry-to-my-ears.1460062/

with a patch note teaser at the end :O

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
MaA teleport nerf incoming, thank gently caress, and as a bonus PDS took the easy way out:

Dallan Invictus posted:

We already have the system that varies gather time based on the distance between where the troops are coming from and the rally point, we already have the system that delays regathers based on how far from those home provinces you were when you disbanded. All PDS should need to do is set the "home province" of MaAs to be the realm capital and make them subject to the rules that already exist.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

quote:

Men-at-Arms, Special Troops and Mercenaries now have travel time and, like Levies, have a penalty to disband/re-raise during wars. Travel time is based on the distance to the realm capital. This should effectively stop being able to ‘teleport’ MaA across the map.

That's a step in a good direction and should also prevent every OPM count from teleporting in a throng of mercenaries just before your army. I don't think, however, it's good enough. Currently there is no reason not to use mercenaries. They're much better than levies and come with no drawback (as opposed to CK2, where unpaid mercenary troops would gently caress off or even attack you). The same goes for holy orders which nearly everyone can afford, which makes the human player unable to recruit them, as every time they become available, another AI ruler nabs them.

I think hiring mercenaries should work more like hiring knights – you announce that you need them and they either come to you, or not. Actually getting someone would require having enough money to spare and possibly outbidding competition, not to mention being in range of an appropriate wandering mercenary company or monastic order. This should prevent a situation where some count in the middle of Siberia insta-teleports 5000 heavy cavalry to help his 20 slingers and 10 guys with sharpened sticks repel an army of 20 conscripted peasants, 5 guard dogs and a really mean goose.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Gantolandon posted:

This should prevent a situation where some count in the middle of Siberia insta-teleports 5000 heavy cavalry to help his 20 slingers and 10 guys with sharpened sticks repel an army of 20 conscripted peasants, 5 guard dogs and a really mean goose.

Look, if you're up against a really mean goose you're going to want 5000 heavy cavalry on your side.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That's not an exceptional response to geese in general, and especially not a mean one.

e:f;b

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gantolandon posted:

That's a step in a good direction and should also prevent every OPM count from teleporting in a throng of mercenaries just before your army. I don't think, however, it's good enough. Currently there is no reason not to use mercenaries. They're much better than levies and come with no drawback (as opposed to CK2, where unpaid mercenary troops would gently caress off or even attack you). The same goes for holy orders which nearly everyone can afford, which makes the human player unable to recruit them, as every time they become available, another AI ruler nabs them.

I think hiring mercenaries should work more like hiring knights – you announce that you need them and they either come to you, or not. Actually getting someone would require having enough money to spare and possibly outbidding competition, not to mention being in range of an appropriate wandering mercenary company or monastic order. This should prevent a situation where some count in the middle of Siberia insta-teleports 5000 heavy cavalry to help his 20 slingers and 10 guys with sharpened sticks repel an army of 20 conscripted peasants, 5 guard dogs and a really mean goose.

This post got me thinking that it'd be neat for prestige or other factors to impact hiring mercenaries. Or have the base military strength values interact with mercs somehow? I'm sure how to work it into game balance but seems like mercs would be more willing to come fight for a king who's looking to pay someone to steamroll a lovely count, than to come be the ones who get steamrolled in that situation.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gantolandon posted:

In my experience Surprise Mercenaries haven't been nearly that common, the price honestly does kinda deter OPMs. Surprise Allies, on the other hand, sure, and I agree that holy orders are probably too cheap (and there are less of them accessible in any given region than mercs, to boot).

But I continue to believe that if you attack someone who has a spare marriageable relative or enough gold/piety to hire mercs or a holy order for three years in reserve without accounting for this in your planning (which may include simply attacking someone else, waiting until they spend or lose those resources, or proactively removing those resources yourself), you kinda deserve to eat 5,000 heavy cavalry in the face.

quote:

I think hiring mercenaries should work more like hiring knights – you announce that you need them and they either come to you, or not. Actually getting someone would require having enough money to spare and possibly outbidding competition, not to mention being in range of an appropriate wandering mercenary company or monastic order.

I don't hate the idea of making mercs more dynamic like this, kinda like Imperator mercs to the extent I've played that game, but to me the core problem is that AI are so rarely a proactive threat to a player that players look at systems like emergency mercs and emergency alliances not as "resources both me and an AI can save up to take advantage of in a pinch" but "things that make my life specifically harder than it should be".

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

In my experience Surprise Mercenaries haven't been nearly that common, the price honestly does kinda deter OPMs. Surprise Allies, on the other hand, sure, and I agree that holy orders are probably too cheap (and there are less of them accessible in any given region than mercs, to boot).

But I continue to believe that if you attack someone who has a spare marriageable relative or enough gold/piety to hire mercs or a holy order for three years in reserve without accounting for this in your planning (which may include simply attacking someone else, waiting until they spend or lose those resources, or proactively removing those resources yourself), you kinda deserve to eat 5,000 heavy cavalry in the face.

The problem is that the game actively misleads you, giving you a stat that should tell you how strong your enemy and their current allies are, before springing surprise 5,000 heavy cavalry on you. It doesn't even tell you what happened, you just see them getting soldiers they have no right to have, going by what the game just shown you. Looking for suspicious unmarried daughters and piles of gold in the treasury is something you learn the hard way, after repeatedly losing an easy war for some podunk county and getting immediately gangbanged by your neighbors.

Being on the other side on the surprise alliance is also inconvenient. I learned not to accept any marriage offer ever, because this inevitably meant getting immediately called to three different wars waged in the middle of Russia.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Is this next update just sorta in the works or have they said anything about when we might expect it?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think we’re supposed to assume Soon if they’re talking about it. Might be announced at that event of theirs in a couple weeks.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They've already posted part of the patchnotes after a long silence. It's safe to assume it's quite soon.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Gantolandon posted:

The problem is that the game actively misleads you, giving you a stat that should tell you how strong your enemy and their current allies are

The key word there is current, though? Another 1.3 addition is "a notification when your current enemy forms a new alliance", which I guess will help (in addition to the current "notification when your enemy hires a holy order" and "notification when your enemy's allies join". Is there a "your enemy has hired mercenaries?" notification?), but not including a "situations reported are subject to change" clause on every tooltip is not "actively misleading" the user, and a Paradox game where the AI countries can never act to change the force balance once you've committed yourself based on your unrealistically good information is doomed to be a boring steamroll.

quote:

Being on the other side on the surprise alliance is also inconvenient. I learned not to accept any marriage offer ever, because this inevitably meant getting immediately called to three different wars waged in the middle of Russia.

I have literally never gotten a marriage offer from the AI, please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I have so many surplus relatives who refuse to leave and I can't get rid of.

(that said, I don't know why they reverted from "marriages make NAPs and you have to choose an alliance" which was their fix to that problem in CK2 and worked pretty well!)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Anno posted:

I think we’re supposed to assume Soon if they’re talking about it. Might be announced at that event of theirs in a couple weeks.

ilitarist posted:

They've already posted part of the patchnotes after a long silence. It's safe to assume it's quite soon.

Cool, thanks!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Someone is working on an impressive, albeit expensive mod to really spice up CK3 battles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I hope mega buffed MaA show up as 40 foot tall monstrosities just smashing through levies

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aren't Mount and Blade battle really small, though? Like 300 dudes maximum I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Let's wait for modders to plug in Field of Glory II: Medieval. FoG2 already officially works as tactical mode for an ancient world grand strategy game Field of Glory Empires so it can't be hard!