Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone link me to some guides on how to prevent complete chaos when your player dies?

In my last two games, I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to succession laws, and I've been totally dog piled after changing to a new player who is either not old enough or too weak or both.

I've got over 100 hours in CK2 and thought CK3 was meant to be easier but I'm not finding that. :(

EDIT: Ooof what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
A 1500 stack of Varangian Veterans just running rough shod all over 6-7k enemy armies

hell yeah

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone link me to some guides on how to prevent complete chaos when your player dies?

If you have partition(and since primogeniture comes so late you will basically always have partition) you absolutely want exactly one heir to avoid stuff splitting on death(sure your stuff won't usually leave the realm unless you really mess up, but it sucks losing the buildings on your other counties). Disinheriting spare kids, making them take vows or even straight-up murdering them(best done to your grandkids ahead of time) all work. Also having non-neutral gender laws helps a lot, since then you have to mess with them half as much. It's even better if you have the freedom to swap from male preference to female preference depending on the proportions and which kid looks most promising. Once you have a decent heir and some opposite gender kids for making alliance marriages, then consider embracing celibacy to not muddy the succession with more kids.

Alliances are really important I've found. There's no cost to inviting them into a defensive war, so getting a strong alliance with something like France or the Byzantines can really help you when your vassals inevitably rebel. You can also ally with your strongest vassals to keep them out of factions, but that always feels like a bit of a waste honestly. Just make sure that your alliances will still apply when your heir inherits, or even leave some family members unmarried in advance for them if you're not sure.

It also helps if you've put away some gold to hire mercenaries with, and of course if you have some good men at arms. You can also store some prisoners of hostile faiths for your new heir to execute to rocket up their dread right away and discourage factions. If you've been careful to give stuff mainly to content/cowardly/etc people then they should be easy to terrify into submission.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Arcvasti posted:

If you have partition(and since primogeniture comes so late you will basically always have partition) you absolutely want exactly one heir to avoid stuff splitting on death(sure your stuff won't usually leave the realm unless you really mess up, but it sucks losing the buildings on your other counties). Disinheriting spare kids, making them take vows or even straight-up murdering them(best done to your grandkids ahead of time) all work. Also having non-neutral gender laws helps a lot, since then you have to mess with them half as much. It's even better if you have the freedom to swap from male preference to female preference depending on the proportions and which kid looks most promising. Once you have a decent heir and some opposite gender kids for making alliance marriages, then consider embracing celibacy to not muddy the succession with more kids.

Alliances are really important I've found. There's no cost to inviting them into a defensive war, so getting a strong alliance with something like France or the Byzantines can really help you when your vassals inevitably rebel. You can also ally with your strongest vassals to keep them out of factions, but that always feels like a bit of a waste honestly. Just make sure that your alliances will still apply when your heir inherits, or even leave some family members unmarried in advance for them if you're not sure.

It also helps if you've put away some gold to hire mercenaries with, and of course if you have some good men at arms. You can also store some prisoners of hostile faiths for your new heir to execute to rocket up their dread right away and discourage factions. If you've been careful to give stuff mainly to content/cowardly/etc people then they should be easy to terrify into submission.

This is awesome thank you.

Ironically after I posted that I decided to see what vassal life was like for a bit. Turns out I was second in line to inherit everything back and my usurper appointed me their spymaster :getin:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I've mentioned this before but rivalry being an automatic two-way relationship is a bit silly; just because someone hates me doesn't me I give a poo poo about them.

To be fair, if some rando is sitting in your dungeon, ranting and raving all day about how much he hates you, you'll probably be happy when he's gone, even if you didn't really care about him as a person.
And yeah, free stress loss :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

This is awesome thank you.

Ironically after I posted that I decided to see what vassal life was like for a bit. Turns out I was second in line to inherit everything back and my usurper appointed me their spymaster :getin:

"No hard feelings, right?"

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

pidan posted:

To be fair, if some rando is sitting in your dungeon, ranting and raving all day about how much he hates you, you'll probably be happy when he's gone, even if you didn't really care about him as a person.

Your prison guards probably assume it's someone you hate, why else would you keep some dude in the dungeon for 20 years if not to punish your rival. Then when they finally die and the guards tell the king

"My liege, your imprisoned rival has passed away"
"Who? What rival? I have prisoners?"

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
seems like my "rival" may have poisoned your mind. We can't have mind-poisoned guards now can we?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

pidan posted:

You can also randomly get rivals from doing raids. It certainly came as a surprise to me when my norse king celebrated the death of some guy in the middle east that I had raided like a decade earlier, since the game doesn't actually tell you when they unilaterally rival you, but still treat it as a two-way relationship for the purposes of events.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Arcvasti posted:

If you have partition(and since primogeniture comes so late you will basically always have partition) you absolutely want exactly one heir to avoid stuff splitting on death(sure your stuff won't usually leave the realm unless you really mess up, but it sucks losing the buildings on your other counties). Disinheriting spare kids, making them take vows or even straight-up murdering them(best done to your grandkids ahead of time) all work.
I disagree with this as a general rule unless you're playing a short game. It leaves too much risk (eg having that sole male heir die and getting a game over cause it turns out their sister was infertile and you didn't notice). Having your dynasty members get larger helps your renown. I'll send a bad heir to the monastery/holy order if I can, but otherwise my main solution is just to increase my domain so that partition won't screw up the primary heir too much. And like others have explained to me, you will have claims on all your siblings upon succession, and if planned ahead right, you should have more MaA and gold than them to make it easy to grab parts back if you really need it. And hopefully still a dungeon full of heretics to execute to stop any rebellions.

Like unless you're talking about having 10 heirs. My general solution is just to not have that many kids - the penalty for not enough wives/concubines is tiny compared to having to split your domain 5+ ways.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Even if you have 10 heirs, putting the realm back together is far more fun

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fader Movitz posted:

Your prison guards probably assume it's someone you hate, why else would you keep some dude in the dungeon for 20 years if not to punish your rival. Then when they finally die and the guards tell the king

"My liege, your imprisoned rival has passed away"
"Who? What rival? I have prisoners?"

see this is why I sweep the dungeon for people to execute every couple of years

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you have too few titles that partition will gently caress up your realm you simply have to conquer more titles

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As long as you make sure your family is situated properly partition is fine. You just have to not try to horde it too early.

I currently have 6 heirs, and my main is losing 0 titles because the rest are already dukes with one county. Taking Fecund as an initial perk pays off long term as you'll always have dynasty members to fill all those count positions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's one of the nice things about rebellions upon succession, you can strip those vassals of their titles and hand 'em out to your sons.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Doing a intrigue run starting as some nobody count in Sicily and worked up to Doux of Sicily with hooked council rights and seeing what I can do as spymaster to keep The Byz as strong as possible. It's fun not be conquest focused, although I have killed some Emperors and helped out a few pretenders because I can't Holy War if the Emp is Orthodox and I'm Iconoclast. Any benefits to one or the other of those religions?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
More new traditions! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-summer-teaser-4.1484098/
Really liking how diverse and creative these traditions are. My favorite is probably Parochialism, because all I want to do is stack development.

KDdidit posted:

Doing a intrigue run starting as some nobody count in Sicily and worked up to Doux of Sicily with hooked council rights and seeing what I can do as spymaster to keep The Byz as strong as possible. It's fun not be conquest focused, although I have killed some Emperors and helped out a few pretenders because I can't Holy War if the Emp is Orthodox and I'm Iconoclast. Any benefits to one or the other of those religions?

Not really? I suppose Orthodox has ecumenism, Iconoclasm does not. But if you've survived that long it probably doesn't matter religion you are.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

scaterry posted:

More new traditions! https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-summer-teaser-4.1484098/
Really liking how diverse and creative these traditions are. My favorite is probably Parochialism, because all I want to do is stack development.

I like that there are more trait interactions with cultures. I'm curious to see if the Charitable tradition actually makes the AI send gifts more often; I think I've seen it once or twice tops.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Trying to form the empire of Armenia starting in 867. It’s now 1130 and I have two problems:
1. K of Georgia is now huge (but weak) and split off generations ago, and if I don’t want to conquer it duchy by duchy, is my only option to get a pious character to buy a claim?
2. I’m wondering if there’s a way to rebel for independence without investing heavily in intrigue. In other words, getting strong hooks on fellow vassals—numerous as they are in Byz—is an exercise in waiting for nothing to happen.
I guess I could save money for decades for mercs and try to find a nice outside alliance and go it alone in rebelling, but I would want to make sure I have Georgia back first before I do that.

Finally, option 3 getting a claim on Byz through that stewardship perk, seems more likely to happen than the first two options. But if I take over, make my revocations and releases, won’t I still be stuck with the Byz title? For RP purposes I’d rather not destroy it, but I will if I have to. WWYD?

(All along the emperor being at government level 3 has also been annoying, but I haven’t had as much issue assassinating and re-ticking the war declaration privilege with the new liege.)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can obtain claims on a kingdom for your children by marrying a child of the current King of Georgia, and then pressing said claim in war later. Alternatively you buy claims on all the duchy titles (you can't buy Kingdom level titles) and then press them, possibly all at once depending on your Innovations.

As for rebelling away, you can start/join an Independence Faction, and other vassals may join, but the Greek ones probably won't. You are correct that if you seize the Imperial title you will be effectively stuck with it unless you have the right game rules, or you might be able to lose it in a rebellion.

As for Crown Authority, rather than constantly fabricating hooks or assassinations, join a Liberty Faction and try to knock them down that way.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
You actually can buy kingdom level titles with that learning perk! I did it for 1000 piety early on in the game after the first partition. I should’ve taken a screenshot of it, it was a nice hurricane swirl of the kingdoms of Georgia, Armenia, and Daylam.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Started as Ivar the Boneless, it’s 60 years on and despite me not actually aiming to get particularly strong I’ve just realised I have 5x as many troops available as any other country in Europe. Norse nations are kind of mad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
devs are norse hth

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
you mean the culture that gets MaA: curbstomp edition might be OP?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Basically any culture with one of the "sail in rivers" innovations feels OP as poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-f45TbvEw

lol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Alright that was cute.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, ruler died and time for the succession dissent poo poo to fire up, better start with the feast for a few points.

:getin: I remember seeing a screen shot of this event a while back and forgot it existed so it was a nice surprise. Also that pitiful opinion penalty for killing everybody.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
lol gnarly, what sort of traits do you need to get that as an option? I've never seen it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Never saw that either

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't know exactly what enabled it. I'm the Emperor of Italy and have Callous and Ambitious as traits, Intrigue focus but only had 3/4 of the far right tree completed as I had just became Emperor, and have a witch coven. Already had 100 dread though from killing prisoners as soon as I took the throne.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KDdidit posted:

Welp, ruler died and time for the succession dissent poo poo to fire up, better start with the feast for a few points.

:getin: I remember seeing a screen shot of this event a while back and forgot it existed so it was a nice surprise. Also that pitiful opinion penalty for killing everybody.

Man, that rules. You spend so long swaying angry vassals from a succession this is quite the solution. Would have to be conscious of kinslayer though right?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you get the "Faster than a Fox" achievement? It's the one where you "Control all of Sicily as Norse Tribal".

I did a Varangian Adventure vs the Byzantine Empire, then gobbled up Sicily but didn't get the achievement because someone I'm not tribal anymore :psyduck:

How did I randomly become feudal??

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I think if you grant somebody a feudal county as their first title, they get landed as a feudal ruler, even if you are Tribal. Presumably you did this to your heir at some point.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
gently caress me, I just got this game the other day. I haven't played any of the others, and this is basically like no other strategy game I've ever seen.

I started as Sigurdr "Snake in the Eye" and raided and warred my way to a quite comfortable spot. Then I died and my arrogant lovely son waged even more war on my weak rear end neighbors until he was King of Denmark. All of my strength was basically focused on Denmark, though - the three territories of the actual islands. King Sverker died, and his son only got... two of those territories. Compassionate, just King Karl lost one of them to his pre-teen half brother. I denounced the boy, then revoked his title. He tried to rebel, but it was a pathetic show. I took back my other bit of Denmark, locked up my half brother for some time. I let him go out of pity eventually, and King Karl subjugated and took basically all of Scandinavia. Then he fuckin died and now everything is a shitshow.

I'm in the middle of dad's giant fuckin war. My literal giant wife hasn't given me any antifa supersoldier kids yet. I'm an evil gently caress and my good dad had to cover up two murders.

The concept of trying to rebuild the Kingdom of Denmark from this ruin is hard to even imagine.

Edit: Do I keep playing? Do I quit? What even do I do with this game?

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 30, 2021

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

litany of gulps posted:

gently caress me, I just got this game the other day. I haven't played any of the others, and this is basically like no other strategy game I've ever seen.

I started as Sigurdr "Snake in the Eye" and raided and warred my way to a quite comfortable spot. Then I died and my arrogant lovely son waged even more war on my weak rear end neighbors until he was King of Denmark. All of my strength was basically focused on Denmark, though - the three territories of the actual islands. King Sverker died, and his son only got... two of those territories. Compassionate, just King Karl lost one of them to his pre-teen half brother. I denounced the boy, then revoked his title. He tried to rebel, but it was a pathetic show. I took back my other bit of Denmark, locked up my half brother for some time. I let him go out of pity eventually, and King Karl subjugated and took basically all of Scandinavia. Then he fuckin died and now everything is a shitshow.

I'm in the middle of dad's giant fuckin war. My literal giant wife hasn't given me any antifa supersoldier kids yet. I'm an evil gently caress and my good dad had to cover up two murders.

The concept of trying to rebuild the Kingdom of Denmark from this ruin is hard to even imagine.

Keep going. Even if your work is shattered, you can rebuild just like you did the first time. CK3 is a fun game to "lose", and as long as you aren't miserable it's worth it to keep going

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

litany of gulps posted:

After thousands of hours of these games, I wish I could have these kinds of experiences again. Keep playing and savor it. Also post about it :)

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I think if you grant somebody a feudal county as their first title, they get landed as a feudal ruler, even if you are Tribal. Presumably you did this to your heir at some point.

I never granted titles and still on my first ruler. Went right from the Chiefdom of Skane to whatever Syracuse is. I'm guessing because I conquered a feudal holding I became feudal? But then how do you remain Tribal when I assume all of Sicily is feudal already? This is the 876 start.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

litany of gulps posted:

Even if you lose those wars, it's unlikely that they'll end your game altogether. And even if you lose your kingdom and get knocked back down to duke, it probably won't be too hard to snatch the kingdom back within a few decades. And honestly, dealing with internal politics as a scheming duke can often be more fun than trying to expand further as a mega-empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do you get the "Faster than a Fox" achievement? It's the one where you "Control all of Sicily as Norse Tribal".

I did a Varangian Adventure vs the Byzantine Empire, then gobbled up Sicily but didn't get the achievement because someone I'm not tribal anymore :psyduck:

How did I randomly become feudal??

You need to own everything that is dejure the Kingdom of Sicily, which includes Naples (and Malta, easy to overlook that one). You also need to be independent, so if you swore fealty to the Byzantines that would also prevent it from happening.

As for becoming feudal, it's from the Varangian Adventure. It won't block the achievement though, even though the description says tribal, government type doesn't matter; all the achievement checks is that you started as a non-ruler designer Nordic/Norman culture and Asatru religion, and are still that when you are an independent ruler of the entirety of Sicily.

Varangian Adventures always change you to the government type of what you're taking over. If you conquer tribal land, you'll become a tribe. If you conquer feudal land, you'll become feudal.