Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol why does my gut tell me that guy is already hella racist

Demon_Corsair posted:

I just keep stepping on rakes this game. Befriending the emperor seemed like it would have some good perks. Enough people have died that I now have claims on Austria. So I go to start the party and can't invade because the HRE is up to crown authority 3. OK fine, I'll join a liberty faction to claw that back down. Can't because the emperor is my friend.

And it seems like you can't actually use a friendship for anything useful, so I'm just stuck until I can end the friendship via event or the ai kicks off a liberty war. No luck finding secrets yet, so I may dip into the intrigue tree and get the fabricate hook perk.

Being the emperors buddy should definitely get me a pass for some wars

E: is the exchange letter events you get in the diplo tree just traps? No matter what option I pick, they always fail when I try to pick a topic.

Yeah it's a bit silly how that works. One of my biggest issues with CK3 is that vassals don't actually have anything they're supposed to do? Like maybe the Duke of Austria gets privileges because you want him to serve as an effective buffer against the Magyars, or a leige sanctions their friend to go beat up their rival that's making trouble for them. Or their vassal friend can ask them for some sort of favor. But none of that nuance is there :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Serephina posted:

Question: Is it worth doing (or even possible) to barge into Iberia to become an Interloper via move capital, quickly unlock the unique dyansties, then gently caress off back out? The wiki's sometimes not 100% accurate, but it says local capitals are all that you need to have the dynasties available.
It's certainly possible - I just took one of the islands of Mallorca, moved my capital there, and then moved my Realm Capital back to my de jure capital after unlocking the legacy. (had it waiting to be used).

I also think it's worth it if you have enough house members to throw some in royal court positions - saves you some gold early on.. There's no real mandatory legacy picks IMO but plenty of the early ones are worth grabbing (rather than going all the way down one tree).

I don't think any in Metropolitan are worth it - considering cities are mostly irrelevant to the player - you'll only ever get a fraction of the cities' profits vs just building your own castle holdings (or temples if you're going that way with your religion)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Something I've never bothered doing for any other game:

Saga in Stone and Lingua Franca were the biggest pains in the rear end.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

disaster pastor posted:

Noice. Achievements are my whole goal when I play CK3, but I don't think I'm going to be going after those two. What a pain in the rear end they sound like.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

You deserve more than a medal for soldiering through Saga in Stone, goddamn.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

SlothBear posted:

You deserve more than a medal for soldiering through Saga in Stone, goddamn.

I did an entire run dedicated to just getting Saga in Stone, and I had to abandon it and start over because I forgot you lose the ability to raise runestones in the High Medieval era.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/PdxInteractive/status/1555547951329673216

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there comedy events related to bad court musicians?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

disaster pastor posted:

Congrats! Did you just do a WC for Lingua Franca, or is there a better way to influence other courts into using your language?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Congrats! Did you just do a WC for Lingua Franca, or is there a better way to influence other courts into using your language?

Mostly conquest, yeah. I didn't have to go all the way because much of Africa and South Asia began using my language of their own accord, but not because of anything I knowingly did.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Mostly conquest, yeah. I didn't have to go all the way because much of Africa and South Asia began using my language of their own accord, but not because of anything I knowingly did.

If you stay at high enough court grandeur, other courts will start to convert to your language to take advantage of the grandeur boost.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Servetus posted:

If you stay at high enough court grandeur, other courts will start to convert to your language to take advantage of the grandeur boost.

Oh, good, all the rearranging of looted artifacts I did while bored with fighting paid off, then.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

High five fellow completionist.

And yea Saga in Stone was remarkably arduous and unfun to get for an achievement that certainly appears like you're supposed to get it in normal play. That and playing till 1453 were honestly the worst ones for me :v:

One I actually quite liked if people want suggestions is the one to restore the Tibetan Empire. Much of it can be done diplomatically, which is nice since the Himalayas are not the best for campaigning in.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

And yea Saga in Stone was remarkably arduous and unfun to get for an achievement that certainly appears like you're supposed to get it in normal play.

Saga in Stone being a "normal" difficulty achievement is even weirder than The Things Love Does for Us being an "easy" achievement. Not because The Things Love Does for Us isn't also obnoxious (getting it randomly in a game was what spurred me to finish the other achievements, because surely if I had that one it was downhill from there!), but I can at least see Paradox's logic with "well, the player doesn't actually have to do much of anything to get it." Saga in Stone, you absolutely have to do things, and a lot of them.

PittTheElder posted:

One I actually quite liked if people want suggestions is the one to restore the Tibetan Empire. Much of it can be done diplomatically, which is nice since the Himalayas are not the best for campaigning in.

This was a blast; I always love situations where you start getting "you can vassalize this neighbor" popups, especially when they spiral because vassalizing them means you have new neighbors who will accept vassalization. I enjoyed Vladimir's Second Choice, too, because as much as I've played that area, things get weird when you're suddenly Muslim.

The Iberian ones I found mostly uninteresting, though I did get Holidaying in Iberia and Iberian Hostilities with everyone's favorite Haesteinn, and that added some spice.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Saga in Stone being a "normal" difficulty achievement is even weirder than The Things Love Does for Us being an "easy" achievement.

Oh gently caress me that's right, getting that poo poo was miserable, so many god damned restarts. 1000 hours of gameplay and not hitting the "Easy" achievement possible with any character is not a great sign.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Let me restore the ancient priesthood if I take Egypt as Kushites, Paradox.

Also, things get really weird down in this region with cultural female preference vs religious male preference. Better to just go all in on one of them when reforming, the game can't handle the mashup well.

Edit: Looking at that new culture on the Canary Islands, how much renown do you get from giving out titles to house members? Because Mystical Ancestors seems like an insanely strong cultural tenet, possibly the strongest in the game atm.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 6, 2022

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Let me restore the ancient priesthood if I take Egypt as Kushites, Paradox.

I have done in my head this via reforming Kushite and merging Daju-Egyptian culture but yeah, big fancy decision upon retaking the pyramids would be dope.

quote:

Also, things get really weird down in this region with cultural female preference vs religious male preference. Better to just go all in on one of them when reforming, the game can't handle the mashup well.

Yeah. We have warrior queens but only male kings. Uhhh. You okay Nubia?

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Is the royalcourt dlc worth 30 bucks? And does it dcer go on sale?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EmbryoSteve posted:

It's not bad, but it does go on sale.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'd pick it up at $15-$20, Paradox stuff usually goes on sale several times a year.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It’s extremely worth it, though. It adds back in a lot of things that existed in CK2 but were missing in vanilla CK3, and the court itself is very cool and fun.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The AI really needs some big fixes on learning how to do combat among other things.

I decided to switch characters to one of my non-Primary Heir sons just to help him with a war. Then I look at what my previous character (the Haestein Byzantine Emperor with a revived Hellenism religion and a Greco-Norse culture) was doing in the meantime - despite having 2000 Varangian Veterans and 700 Cataphracts (and 15 knights with over 20 prowess), they decide to spend all 4000 gold on mercenaries to fight the Arabian Empire for a single county. When they are up against ~800 MaA total, the rest of the 20,000 troops were levies (aka mincemeat). I decided to just load my previous save because that's some shockingly bad choices by the AI.

Edit: the AI ruler also was able to cancel a culture reformation that was already in progress (there is nothing on the player's UI to do this) and chose a trash-tier tradition instead.

I also saw one of my new vassals, after giving them a few counties and duchies and a vassal or two to get started, spend all the money I gave them on a watch tower (for +1 fortification -- not even the one that also gives you extra tax) when they would have been better off spending that on MaA as they had 100 levies and 0 MaA.

CapnAndy posted:

It’s extremely worth it, though. It adds back in a lot of things that existed in CK2 but were missing in vanilla CK3, and the court itself is very cool and fun.
Did these features exist in vanilla CK2 or were they also added in over the years of DLC?

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 7, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

The AI really needs some big fixes on learning how to do combat among other things.

I decided to switch characters to one of my non-Primary Heir sons just to help him with a war. Then I look at what my previous character (the Haestein Byzantine Emperor with a revived Hellenism religion and a Greco-Norse culture) was doing in the meantime - despite having 2000 Varangian Veterans and 700 Cataphracts (and 15 knights with over 20 prowess), they decide to spend all 4000 gold on mercenaries to fight the Arabian Empire for a single county. When they are up against ~800 MaA total, the rest of the 20,000 troops were levies (aka mincemeat). I decided to just load my previous save because that's some shockingly bad choices by the AI.

I also saw one of my new vassals, after giving them a few counties and duchies and a vassal or two to get started, spend all the money I gave them on a watch tower (for +1 fortification -- not even the one that also gives you extra tax) when they would have been better off spending that on MaA as they had 100 levies and 0 MaA.

Did these features exist in vanilla CK2 or were they also added in over the years of DLC?

Vanilla CK2 was incredibly bare. Artifacts and the like were DLC features.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PancakeTransmission posted:

You couldn't even play as Muslims/Pagans on release. The Indian subcontinent was DLC. CK3 at launch felt a bit bare-bones compared to CK2 with all of the DLC, but it was vastly more feature-rich than it's predecessor on launch.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What are the conditions for catholic crusade on Byzantines?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Have them be non-Christian basically. No way for a 4th Crusade to happen with the current GHW setup.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

So annoyed with Elevate Mann that I can’t be a king already. I’m just sitting around waiting for my fame to finally creep high enough I can hit the button. Meanwhile, like three other decisions are on hold since they would also make me a king.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bird in a Blender posted:

So annoyed with Elevate Mann that I can’t be a king already. I’m just sitting around waiting for my fame to finally creep high enough I can hit the button. Meanwhile, like three other decisions are on hold since they would also make me a king.

One way to farm a ton of prestige quickly as vikings is to get into fights, especially if the enemy army is bigger than yours. If you have martial focus and good MAA, you can easily take on stacks twice your size, so go raid someone with a ton of levies ready.

If you have the first pillagers dynasty perk, winning one such battle should net you 2000+ prestige, and you can often chain them, as the enemy lord will keep sending them at you as long they have more troops than you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Finally coming back to this for the first time since the Iberia expansion dropped, what's some fun starts?

Also man it's depressing starting in 867 and none of the holdings have any buildings at all. Everywhere so samey.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

One way to farm a ton of prestige quickly as vikings is to get into fights, especially if the enemy army is bigger than yours. If you have martial focus and good MAA, you can easily take on stacks twice your size, so go raid someone with a ton of levies ready.

If you have the first pillagers dynasty perk, winning one such battle should net you 2000+ prestige, and you can often chain them, as the enemy lord will keep sending them at you as long they have more troops than you.

Yea I’ve been raiding and declaring wars to farm that as much as I can. There’s a difference between fame and prestige though right? If I get prestige, does that automatically add to my fame level?

If I’m fighting a war, I get a fame only boost. If I raid I get prestige from battles, but I’m not sure if that adds to my fame level.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fame is basically cumulative Prestige, and so gaining Prestige also gives Fame, though as you say fighting in wars you've declared only gives Fame.

That's why you want to fight battles while raiding, since you just get prestige for it. Same for defeating miscellaneous hostile armies I think.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Note that you don't want allies (well, to call them in if you are farming fame) as you will get zero fame/prestige if they help. And once they're there, I can't seem to see any way to tell them to gently caress off!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

Fame is basically cumulative Prestige, and so gaining Prestige also gives Fame, though as you say fighting in wars you've declared only gives Fame.

That's why you want to fight battles while raiding, since you just get prestige for it. Same for defeating miscellaneous hostile armies I think.

Also battles in wars in which you're an ally rather than a main participant - so there's at least SOME use for getting dragged into some war halfway across the world by your fifth daughter's husband.

(not SURE if it's the same for battles in wars in which you're the main defender: the devs' rationale was to prevent you from being able to pay for the next war by killfarming in a war you declare so by that logic it SHOULD be the same but honestly I don't remember)

Same goes for piety vs. devotion in battles against religious enemies.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does anyone have any strategies for playing focused on cities? Trying Mother of Us All again and hybridized soninke and hausa and think it might be fun to try to take advantage of the city traditions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bird in a Blender posted:

As others have said, if you've been perpetually raiding and warmongering your fame level should have skyrocketed ages ago. Go fight more, declare multiple concurrent wars if you have to, and make a point of killing any stacks you see. The reward of having a 20-devel capital with 6 slots of free stuff is worth it, though.
edit: I should clarify, the Mann decision isn't about getting an easy kingdom, it's about getting a hard kingdom that's actually way better than normal decisions, as it comes with free feudalization, absurd capital perks, and a shitton of free troops. Worth.

Be warned that the next logical decision, form the Kingdom of the North Sea, is total bollocks. It might not be worth getting even as a roleplay thing, you have to hold off of Empire for way, waaay too long.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 8, 2022

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Serephina posted:

edit: I should clarify, the Mann decision isn't about getting an easy kingdom, it's about getting a hard kingdom that's actually way better than normal decisions, as it comes with free feudalization, absurd capital perks, and a shitton of free troops. Worth.
Especially if you didn't convert culture in multiple counties beforehand.

Average development of 20 (20/1 = 20) certainly helps. I actually screwed myself because I wanted to do a thing where my third+ sons were disinherited (and then made independent) so they had to Varangian Adventure (via switch character) elsewhere. Only I hit Early Medieval too quick because I hybridised with Anglo-Saxon. Trying to go back a few years in save games.

Also, I like to use the special troops as a purely defensive force - never actually engage them in battle, make sure they are always within supply (or don't take attrition) - meaning they can scare bigger forces off without using them up.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

As others have said, if you've been perpetually raiding and warmongering your fame level should have skyrocketed ages ago. Go fight more, declare multiple concurrent wars if you have to, and make a point of killing any stacks you see. The reward of having a 20-devel capital with 6 slots of free stuff is worth it, though.

Be warned that the next logical decision, form the Kingdom of the North Sea, is total bollocks. It might not be worth getting even as a roleplay thing, you have to hold off of Empire for way, waaay too long.

Plus enough renown for like 3 or 4 dynasty perks

edit: also you can still raid as feudal 100 years, which helps with the huge income drop of becoming feudal. This is of the most OP decisions in the game

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Aug 8, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Serephina posted:

I'm very close to living legend. I have been raiding quite a bit, especially because I needed to get the Viking trait for Elevate Mann. I think I got thrown off because my war battles were producing only fame, while my raiding battles were producing prestige and I second guessed myself that the two weren't connected. I was planning to try for North Sea decision after this, mostly just for the challenge. I've had way too many games where I just conquer my way through Europe and I need to do something else, so trying to get and hold three kingdoms sounds like a good challenge.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I had ~5k banked before I went feudal and now I'm down to 600 after building a poo poo ton in my counties. I'm pulling in about 16/month right now, any good way to get more money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

16/mo is a very solid income for the post feudal era. Only way to really crank it up from there (without innovations) is the Wealth focus lifestyle tree.