Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Charlz Guybon posted:

You don't have to purposely do anything. They'll become knights on their own, so just wage the wars you want to wage. Unless you're a player who doesn't fight much most of them will die in battle.

If your failsons have low Prowess scores you might have to go into the knight list and force them to become knights (the autopick chooses knights in descending order of Prowess until you hit the limit so if you want to ensure someone is in the line of fire you should check that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I've been the Emperor since I turned 18, and have had four children since then. Yet only one got the Born in the Purple trait, I wonder what could be up with that? Looking in your direction Basilissa...

e: also, France having a normal one over here

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 21, 2020

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

How long does it take y’all to finish a game? I think I’m ~24 hours into this one and I am at about 100 years played.

The game ends whenever you're ready to put it down. You can play it all the way through to 1453 but at a certain point you're basically an unstoppable juggernaut who grows more as a function of boredom than out of any need. The game also gets slower as you go on and have to deal with more stuff. Being able to steamroll duchies means dealing with a duchy's worth of captives every few months.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TGLT posted:

The game ends whenever you're ready to put it down. You can play it all the way through to 1453 but at a certain point you're basically an unstoppable juggernaut who grows more as a function of boredom than out of any need. The game also gets slower as you go on and have to deal with more stuff. Being able to steamroll duchies means dealing with a duchy's worth of captives every few months.

That’s what the mass execute button is for

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

But think of the lost revenue!!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TGLT posted:

But think of the lost revenue!!

There's also a mass ransom button.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Trevor Hale posted:

How long does it take y’all to finish a game? I think I’m ~24 hours into this one and I am at about 100 years played.

I think I must be up to 50 hours in this game I started in 867 and I'm hitting the 1200s now.

There's been long stretches of the game where I had it set to 4-speed but I could have easily put it to 5. Also lots of times when I was paused and not doing anything but strategizing (also setting up for posting here lol)

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

MH Knights posted:

What are the difficulty options like in this game? Is there something like the "Settler" difficulty from the Civilization games? I suck at games and just want to mess around/blow off real life steam with the game and steamroll things. It would seem fun in this game to do stupid gimmick builds and/or try for silly goals.

I havnt played the easier settings but I know that the tutorial Ireland starts with extra gold and buildings which makes things way easier.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

There's also a mass ransom button.

Where?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TGLT posted:

Yeah or you don't savescum and you suddenly go from two crowns to a penniless count hanging onto half a dozen baronies outside of your de jure county and watching the war declarations roll in.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Any decent streamers/playthroughs on Twitch/Youtube? I'm just looking for weirder playthroughs and people who are really good at strat games

eleven extra elephants fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 21, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

eleven extra elephants posted:

I have literally always been caught by my wife in the infidelity pregnancy event to have your spymaster spy on her despite it being 90% success, i'm talking like 10 times, is it bugged or am I just that unlucky

I think it’s bugged. I can’t remember if it was pregnancy related or not but despite having 95% success on snooping discretely, I’ve always been caught.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

eleven extra elephants posted:

Any decent streamers/playthroughs on Twitch/Youtube? I'm just looking for weirder playthroughs and people who are really good at strat games

DDRJake perhaps?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Side panel, second tab on the "court" drawer iirc. Only shows up if you have more than five prisoners

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Haesteinn died so of course we're far weaker now and the Frenchies really want Anjou back.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, when my king died I had one living son with one county and one living grandson from a previous son, also with one county. My chosen heir was elected via Anglo-saxon elective as king. Did not inherit anything else. The grandson got a duchy and like 7 or 8 counties. Some other relative got a duchy and one county. Seems a bit unbalanced. <_<

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Haesteinn died so of course we're far weaker now and the Frenchies really want Anjou back.

If you can't fend them off, the move is to convert to Catholicism and swear fealty. Even as a vassal you have plenty of ways to get back at the Karling scum.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If it's not there you might not have enough prisoners.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

I've only ever stayed on until the end date once in any of these Paradox mapgames. Like others have said, play until you don't feel like playing anymore.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wow converting counties is a huge pain in the rear end now huh. I formed Portugal, united the Spanish thrones, conquered all of Iberia (except for a couple of French/HRE counties), formed Hispania, consecrated my bloodline, but each county conversion takes like 15-20 years and my vassals are not pulling their weight. It’s not even 1200 yet and I’m not sure I can convert all these counties before 1453.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The implication is that you should have whatever nobility under you be of your religion, so they will be using their own councillors to help speed up the process. That said, the conversion process is legit pretty slow; sometimes if I have a surplus Learning perk I'll get the faster county convert one just to speed things up.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Wow converting counties is a huge pain in the rear end now huh. I formed Portugal, united the Spanish thrones, conquered all of Iberia (except for a couple of French/HRE counties), formed Hispania, consecrated my bloodline, but each county conversion takes like 15-20 years and my vassals are not pulling their weight. It’s not even 1200 yet and I’m not sure I can convert all these counties before 1453.

Somehow the computer can do it a hundered times faster. My last spain game, I also conquered the magreb and the AI king I assigned it to had the whole thing just about cleared in the time I cleared three or four counties.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

I ran into the same problem. Did a lot of catch-and-convert with prisoners. Seems to go much faster when the title holders are Christian. I Empried' into Hispania and found that when I gave up the kingdom of Valencia it turned over pretty quickly? :iiam:

Though fervor of christendom plays a big part. Early on I was plagued with lots of hereseys because of idiot popes, a successful crusade that somehow dropped fervor below 30%

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

OctaMurk posted:

If I'm a Just ruler, what happens when I click it? Do I instantly die of stress or go to max level with 3 mental breaks in a row? Downsides to Ironman - not being able to find out what things do without screwing up my game (or waiting till an autosave, then trying it out and force-quitting the game)...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

funny story

I fabricated a claim on my liege's title (kingdom of East Francia)

Before I could finish my plan, my ruler died. The claim passed onto his heir but now it was unpressed - the clock was ticking.

I rushed Kidnapping and abducted the king.

Sadly, I forgot to check my heir's traits....turns out he was Paranoid

He gained so much stress from seizing all those titles he instantly had a heart attack and died

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Sounds like it's too late for you now, but the One Weird Trick to converting counties speedily is to take as many unlanded male captives of the enemy religion as possible during the war. Then release them from prison in exchange for Recruit and a Hook (NOT conversion yet). Then give them the county you just took and THEN use the hook to demand conversion. They will almost always accept and when they do if their religion matches that of the county, the whole county will instantly convert as well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

If it's not there you might not have enough prisoners.

Thank you!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The main problem is fervor differences between faiths drops your rate of conversion and Catholicism seems to have major fervor problems compared to Islamic faiths due to many factors, one of which is probably because Islamic faiths tend to be clan government and use Conquest CBs, while Catholics are more likely to use Holy War CBs. The trick Hargrimm explained is your best bet, having vassals that match the county's faith and demanding their conversion will convert their capital along with the character. Using a hook helps.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

buglord posted:

I think it’s bugged. I can’t remember if it was pregnancy related or not but despite having 95% success on snooping discretely, I’ve always been caught.

I imagine it might be that the 95% means that if there IS a secret to uncover, you have a 95% chance of finding out, but if there isn’t then you automatically get the “spied on me” malus

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I found it oddly moving to get the “I will die within a year” premonition on my character. I played him from age 0 due to him being a last second pregnancy of my previous king who died unexpectedly right after. He was never meant to be the heir, but since I played him as an infant, I was able to shape him into something roughly like I’d want him to be. He had a 67 year reign.

When I got the notice that he was going to die, I just stopped all the longer term projects I had going on. Made sure my orphaned granddaughter and ward was educated and married to someone nice. Her dad was my original choice for heir until his education was mediocre and then he wound up getting two of his kids killed in a stupid vassal war he started. So I spent the next few years seizing counties and sending him on solo runs at the army to punish him until he wound up on the wrong end of a sword.

I genuinely did not expect to feel this affected by this game. Pandemic depression or just regular parasocial brain fuckery, who knows

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just had a holy war end inconclusively because the ruler died and his heir was my religion.

I get it but... ugh, come on. The piety I spent is lost and I got jack poo poo out of it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you’re the target of a holy war and you have enough piety, you actually get an alert in the suggestions box, “Convert to the attacker’s religion and we can put this all behind us, no harm no foul.” It’s pretty neat.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I started playing as the king of Scotland, thinking that that's also a fairly noob friendly start.
Some Duke with claims on my kingdom took it from me. I was still his vassal so I took some other counties and built up my army. Just after he won a de jure war on another duchy I pressed my claim for the kingdom. I won and have another duchy, thanks dude!
When my ruler died I started playing as some other idiot. I'm doing mostly fine, but Lapland took like 2 duchies from me :(
Also all my kids seem to die, there's someone plotting against me but I have no idea who. This game is so much fun!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

The main problem is fervor differences between faiths drops your rate of conversion and Catholicism seems to have major fervor problems compared to Islamic faiths due to many factors, one of which is probably because Islamic faiths tend to be clan government and use Conquest CBs, while Catholics are more likely to use Holy War CBs. The trick Hargrimm explained is your best bet, having vassals that match the county's faith and demanding their conversion will convert their capital along with the character. Using a hook helps.
The other problems with Catholicism are fervor and priesthood. First their set of sins insure that priest get caught loving women (or worse) all the time and it tanks fervor. Two, the pope (not the ruler) selects the bishop, and the local bishop with 4 knowledge will take forever to convert people to a religion with at best 50% fervor.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What does the Reaver trait do if you can't raise an army as raiders? I'm very confused by its existence but I probably don't understand how the raid mechanics work.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sankis posted:

What does the Reaver trait do if you can't raise an army as raiders? I'm very confused by its existence but I probably don't understand how the raid mechanics work.

Supply longevity is still pretty good once you start getting absurd amounts of levies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sankis posted:

It also has -75% attrition in enemy territory so not entirely useless outside of raids. Saves a lot of troops if you're someplace you can't split down far enough

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

shut up blegum posted:

Also all my kids seem to die, there's someone plotting against me but I have no idea who. This game is so much fun!
I would think someone who has claims on your titles, because you took it from them.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Dwesa posted:

I would think someone who has claims on your titles, because you took it from them.

Probably. It's stressing me out though. And it's not optimal for inheritance purposes etc. I'll see what I can do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but a heads-up for anyone who bought the Game Pass version of CK3. I got an email today saying that GamePass is exiting beta next month, so the price is going up. New price is $10.95 AUD for me, not sure how that'll convert into local currencies.