Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Inherited Carpathia as a toddler. The realm immediately explodes into civil war and I lose control not only if the empire but of the Kingdom of Hungary. Then the new emperor proceeds to lose every single rebellion. What I took generations to build he lost in less than a decade.

I should be able to claw my way back on top but it's gonna take a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hargrimm posted:

I mean just the building itself has effects like +1 Learning per level of prestige. You should be able to hover over your Learning stat and see the bonus there from your domain. The main draw though is that if you have the university in your holdings, any children that you directly educate will get a huge bonus to progress that almost guarantees the 4-star trait at the end. Now if I want to get that benefit I would have to hand over the kid to my realm priest to educate, losing control over their personality traits.

Stuff like this is why I loathe that all the realm effect buildings must be directly held by you to get any benefit. Personally as long as it's in your realm you should get the bonus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Inherited Carpathia as a toddler. The realm immediately explodes into civil war and I lose control not only if the empire but of the Kingdom of Hungary. Then the new emperor proceeds to lose every single rebellion. What I took generations to build he lost in less than a decade.

I should be able to claw my way back on top but it's gonna take a while.

I dunno, it can be pretty easy to restore order. I played an Angevin game, and despite France exploding into multiple civil wars with Kings getting deposed and then restored about 8 times, when I seized the throne it just copy-pasted my ducal High Realm Authority onto France, meaning all the vassals were instantly reigned in. Had to fight the usual rebellions, but it didn't take much time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eimi posted:

Stuff like this is why I loathe that all the realm effect buildings must be directly held by you to get any benefit. Personally as long as it's in your realm you should get the bonus.

You could potentially do something like this, but it would require a full rework of the bonuses themselves. Otherwise the inevitable result is that troops from large empires are automatically ubermensch Chads while troops from small realms are useless fodder. It would be an enormous addition to the snowball effect.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It also doesn’t really make sense for early to mid feudalism, where improvements benefited the vassals more than the king.

Though you can argue Kings are still a bit to strong for the time period

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

You could potentially do something like this, but it would require a full rework of the bonuses themselves. Otherwise the inevitable result is that troops from large empires are automatically ubermensch Chads while troops from small realms are useless fodder. It would be an enormous addition to the snowball effect.

I mean that's already the case just with building whatever applies to your chosen MAA in your own domain. You don't need to go full NK or rely on Realm Bonus special buildings for that.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

The Hagia Sophia being completely worthless to Catholics even after mending the schism is rather annoying. Similarly, there are a special buildings in India that say in the flavor text that they are holy to both Hindus and Buddhists, yet only work for one of them. I'm not sure why there even is a "Building is deactivated because of religion" thing in the issue list when there's no actual way to fix the issue. (Technically I could swap religions, but that would deactivate other buildings.)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I'd like for them to give dynasty bonuses if you are the top level holder of the special site, and then full bonuses to the county holder. So having your dynasty have a university in your lands benefits everyone in the dynasty's education, but owning a university directly gives the actual learning boost. Same for special sites. It would be neat and make putting your dynasty on foreign thrones a bit more interesting.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nion posted:

The Hagia Sophia being completely worthless to Catholics even after mending the schism is rather annoying. Similarly, there are a special buildings in India that say in the flavor text that they are holy to both Hindus and Buddhists, yet only work for one of them. I'm not sure why there even is a "Building is deactivated because of religion" thing in the issue list when there's no actual way to fix the issue. (Technically I could swap religions, but that would deactivate other buildings.)

And then on the other hand there's the Great Mosque at Cordoba, which in it's flavor texts says it was once a combo Church/Mosque but the Church part was demolished and it's now 100% a place of Islamic worship, but... works for Christians. Okay.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah honestly I think MAA bonuses are going to need a huge nerf whenever they get around to patching it. Which is a shame because it feels awesome to be wiping stacks multiple times larger than yours with your teleporting super soldiers, but it completely destroys any semblance of military resistance from the AI. It's possible that teaching them to upgrade their buildings would help though?

On the other hand it is nice for theming that professional soldiers are far superior, and you don't really want to call up levies unless you have to. It'd be nice if they could really keep that aspect somehow, especially if you could make well run Kingdoms super powerful because the King brings his MAA and also his vassals show with their MAA (which is what the truly powerful armies in Western Europe were made of). Meanwhile Kings who's vassals hate them would be far weaker because their vassals would just stay home.

Really the whole system where vassals provide taxes at all is kinda weird and ahistorical. Feudalism was usually an administrative shortcut to avoid taxation, since most places didn't have the administrative apparatus to back it up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm pretty sure those need to be addressed anyway, currently even in a non-NK mode they are pretty much the "one neat trick" to making an army punch well above its weight, and it leads to somewhat unimaginative spam of the same MAA.

In any case, extending the benefits doesn't necessarily need to apply to all buildings, or all duchy buildings. I think people just want things like special holy site buildings and wonders to provide them with benefits even if they happen to lie outside your personal domain.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm pretty sure those need to be addressed anyway, currently even in a non-NK mode they are pretty much the "one neat trick" to making an army punch well above its weight, and it leads to somewhat unimaginative spam of the same MAA.

In any case, extending the benefits doesn't necessarily need to apply to all buildings, or all duchy buildings. I think people just want things like special holy site buildings and wonders to provide them with benefits even if they happen to lie outside your personal domain.

Yeah, they even have "realm" bonuses listed, and those are what I'd like to see actually be realm wide.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I'm kinda tempted to really dive into modding now, it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to enhance the University experience in particular. Something like anyone in the same overall realm as the holder of the actual University building could pay a fee to the holder in exchange for getting the education bonus for their ward, without needing to hand them over entirely. Maybe an opinion requirement.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Hate it when my fecund amazonian genius heir turns out to be merely comely. Gross.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Oh ok. The quick start Resume button shows the correct character/save game time, but clicking it loads up a save from a MUCH earlier save, at least 24 hours ago. So much for that Ironman progress. Busted down from an emperor to a king.

Edit: good news is there seems to be a salvageable copy of the save game deep in my local files. Now I'm unsure if I want to recover it or gamble on remaking my empire

Grey Fox fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 23, 2020

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Married my heir to a beautiful greek countess. She promptly has an affair with a 65 year old guy and has a bastard child. I fail to imprison her. To reduce stress on my compassionate self I go on a hunt. I spot my heir just after he murders a peasant. My options are "say the stag got her", "hide the body", "expose his secret", or "to bad the stag got you both (kill my heir)".

This son is actually pretty good stats wise. He has ridiculous diplomacy for his age. But my 2nd son is even better with even higher diplomacy.

The choice is obvious.

I now have a new heir.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Ice Fist posted:

Married my heir to a beautiful greek countess. She promptly has an affair with a 65 year old guy and has a bastard child. I fail to imprison her. To reduce stress on my compassionate self I go on a hunt. I spot my heir just after he murders a peasant. My options are "say the stag got her", "hide the body", "expose his secret", or "to bad the stag got you both (kill my heir)".

This son is actually pretty good stats wise. He has ridiculous diplomacy for his age. But my 2nd son is even better with even higher diplomacy.

The choice is obvious.

I now have a new heir.

My good king turned bad had that option with a duke who has been causing him unending amounts of grief.

I only loving clipped him and had to waste prestige on saying it was a bad shot.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Named my son "Big Boi" and he turned out to be a dwarf.........

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anything on a new patch? The tendency of Byz to blob all over the eastern med + italy is really annoying me for some reason.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think I'm gonna blow myself up and die.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
God, I can see what people meant when they said that being head of a religion with communion was crazy. My heresy is nowhere near as big as catholicism at it's height and already I'm getting inundated with requests. There definitely needs to be an auto-accept indulgences/reject excommunications option. And it should probably be nerfed too, because drat I'm rich.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I just realized there is no weather change on the map. Great Shame. Also Jesus your men at arms dont reinforce unless disbannded? This seems like a huge regression. What other parts of CK2 have gone backward?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 23, 2020

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

It seems kind of silly that in a game where I can go from being some tribal nobody at the rear end end of Europe to conquering France and turning the Italian peninsula Irish, I'm still limited to a few predetermined sites for establishing a university. I got Dublin's development above 40, let me build a bunch of goddamn frat houses there.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The definition of "realm" trips me up because I assume that's, you know, your kingdom or duchy? I'm already familiar with demesne from CK2, and that's like, what you personally own.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It counts everything under the control of every ruler in the war.

It won't count any vassal armies, that will be hostile, but haven't officially entered the war.

There's something else going on. Here's another example. All of those are French armies, not vassal armies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're probably all mercs, hover over the armies, are they "so-and-so band" or anything like that?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

The definition of "realm" trips me up because I assume that's, you know, your kingdom or duchy? I'm already familiar with demesne from CK2, and that's like, what you personally own.

Your realm is the entire area held by you or by one of your vassals (or your vassals' vassals, etc.), if that's what you're asking.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Gaj posted:

I just realized there is no weather change on the map. Great Shame. Also Jesus your men at arms dont reinforce unless disbannded? This seems like a huge regression. What other parts of CK2 have gone backward?

They should reinforce if you’re not in debt

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

megane posted:

Your realm is the entire area held by you or by one of your vassals (or your vassals' vassals, etc.), if that's what you're asking.

What's confusing people is that your realm is what you think it is, but a realm effect from a building only applies if it's from your personal demesne.

So yes, assuming you are independent, you're realm is exactly what it looks like. But the building that says " adds some kinda poo poo in your realm" only actually applies if you own that specific title where it's built. And even if you build a duchy-level building at the appropriate location, if it's not actually your duchy, the bonus doesn't apply.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Azhais posted:

They're probably all mercs, hover over the armies, are they "so-and-so band" or anything like that?

No that was the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd army of either Paris or France (can’t remember).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

megane posted:

Yeah, basically what Chomp said. If it said "holding effect" it might make more sense, I guess, as opposed to "realm effect"

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Chomp8645 posted:

What's confusing people is that your realm is what you think it is, but a realm effect from a building only applies if it's from your personal demesne.

So yes, assuming you are independent, you're realm is exactly what it looks like. But the building that says " adds some kinda poo poo in your realm" only actually applies if you own that specific title where it's built. And even if you build a duchy-level building at the appropriate location, if it's not actually your duchy, the bonus doesn't apply.
Yeah it needs to change those to "domain holder" or something. Initially, I thought that building holdings (of my vassals) would improve my stuff since it says "realm", but what it means is "realm of the person that personally holds it"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

There's something else going on. Here's another example. All of those are French armies, not vassal armies.

Yeah I've seen the same thing. I have no idea what's wrong but it's definitely broken sometimes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ulmont posted:

I haven't played this dumb game in weeks because it sorely needs a patch, but the most accurate breakdown of a ruler's army is in their portrait screen iirc. It will list any mercs there.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Just lost 2 hours worth of conquests to this drat save bug. Keeps sending me back in time...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Zig-Zag posted:

Just lost 2 hours worth of conquests to this drat save bug. Keeps sending me back in time...

I was having the same issue, couple things to try:
  • Uncheck and recheck the "Hide Invalid Saves" box on the load screen rather than just mashing continue.
  • If it's still giving you trouble, go find the cloud save game, copy it into the save folder in My Documents, disable cloud saves within Steam, and reload the local copy.

It seems to be an issue with cloud saves particularly, once I turned them off I haven't had a problem.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

PittTheElder posted:

I was having the same issue, couple things to try:
  • Uncheck and recheck the "Hide Invalid Saves" box on the load screen rather than just mashing continue.
  • If it's still giving you trouble, go find the cloud save game, copy it into the save folder in My Documents, disable cloud saves within Steam, and reload the local copy.

It seems to be an issue with cloud saves particularly, once I turned them off I haven't had a problem.

I knew about the first one and no luck. Second one I am on Xbox pass will it still work?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Zig-Zag posted:

I knew about the first one and no luck. Second one I am on Xbox pass will it still work?

The local backup is at Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\last_save.ck3, you can copy that into the "save games" folder and then load it from the main menu. There's no way to disable cloud saves mid-stream with Gamepass as far as I can tell, so you'll have to manually copy the autosave file every time you quit the game.

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
So after the frustrating discovery that the Hausa achievement wasn't working I dedicated myself to a greater goal: The creation of the mighty Zunbil Empire and the restoration of the majestic Zunist faith.

The last landed member of the Zunbil dynasty is a vassal count in Bost under the Saffarid Shahdom.

He comes with claims on the ancestral Zunbil lands of Zabulistan, but is quite weak and unfortunately has succumbed to the influence of the Islamic faith. Luckily I seduced a young lady with the Khyarwé Bön religion and invited her to my court where I married her and had her raise my children. It wasn't Zunist, but at least it was pagan.

After devouring my liege from the inside the Zunbil Empire soon sprawled across the Middle East and India. I began launching captive wars so that my sacrifices would fuel the rebirth of the mighty Zun.

Finally my emperor was able to convert to Zunism for just under 40000 piety.
Here he is in all his glory, the 77 learning helped a fair bit.

In order to come as close as possible to Zunist in CK2 I reformed for Warmonger, Divine Marriage and Sun Worship alongside multiple wives.

Now all I have to do is have a ruler married to his sister, mother and daughter and I will have successfully completed Crusader Kings 3.

e: also in game followers of Zun are referred to as Flamens. Which is actually kinda lame, but I dig it
e2: Founded a Holy Order by the name of "Guardians of the heavens" weird capitalization as is
e3: So the way the Sun Trial decision works for prisoners is it gives between 40-60% chance to kill the prisoner. If they die Zunist family members will understand that you didn't kill them, Zun did and there will be no negative penalties to opinion. If they survive they are released with a trait "Blessed by Zun" that gives them 3 piety a month for 15 years. Could see it being somewhat useful to kill off lovely heirs or dynasty members without getting any blowback.

ElectronicOldMen fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
77 learning, what the hell?