Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Popoto posted:

Hahaha what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyaung-u_Sawrahan

According to legend this guy usurped the Kingdom of Pagan when he killed the old king over a stolen cucumber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ilitarist posted:

Are pagans too stable?..

I had my Viking expansion game. Started as Ivar with his tiny duchy, second character managed to create the empire of Britannia and vassalize a lot of people. Outside of Britain Isles he had kingdoms of Denmark, Frisia. His son of no particilar worth inhereted and... Nothing happened. I have Christian Feudal vassals but even they don't care, so now my character got himself holy place in Holland, kingdom of Britanny and even duchy of Rome because why not. The hope is to have a theologian son who will reform our viking faith. I understand that switching to feudal relatively early would be hurtful so I'm probably looking at something like 100 years of meditative expansion. Huh.

Everything is too stable right now. Aside from partition there are no forces trying to pull polities apart.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Gato posted:

So I read a cool history book called Vanished Kingdoms about European states that, well, vanished (like Burgundy). One of these was the Kingdom of Strathclyde, which covered much of what is now southern Scotland and parts of northern England, speaking a language much closer to Welsh than Gaelic. So imagine my surprise when it turns out that this guy, the last King of Alt Clut, is in game...

Thanks for this. I'm gonna bookmark him to play. I read the book back when it came out and it was interesting (even if some of his choices for kingdoms to cover were a tad odd).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Popoto posted:

Hahaha what?

In the 1066 start you can see this in the history for the title:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

PittTheElder posted:

Everything is too stable right now. Aside from partition there are no forces trying to pull polities apart.

So the way I see it once you get an emperor title it's all golden. In my previous game I played as Bohemian duke. They start with ultimogniture, the oldest member of the dynasty inherits. I had a successful king becoming elected as HRE and farmed enough Crusade prestige to remove elections forever. I thought I got away with it cause ultimogniture means that you get rulers who are already old and respecred so succession crisis is unlikely. But now that I think about it that was too easy.

It's kinda breaks apart after your second ruler, doesn't it?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Do children inherit prowess from their parents or tutors? I know you can game the education stuff with the five main stats but was just wondering how the "base" prowess gets determined.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ilitarist posted:

So the way I see it once you get an emperor title it's all golden. In my previous game I played as Bohemian duke. They start with ultimogniture, the oldest member of the dynasty inherits. I had a successful king becoming elected as HRE and farmed enough Crusade prestige to remove elections forever. I thought I got away with it cause ultimogniture means that you get rulers who are already old and respecred so succession crisis is unlikely. But now that I think about it that was too easy.

It's kinda breaks apart after your second ruler, doesn't it?

Yer thinking of House Seniority, which sucks imo. Rulers tend to inherit when they're older, and don't have as much time to build up a Long Reign bonus. Also more costly to disinherit dynasts that are already landed.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
When I played with House Seniority, it worked for a little until the player heir was a distant relative with a crappy spouse and grown kids.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I bought this game now so I’m gonna play this game. Any dope beginner tips? I’ve played about 20 hours of CK2 but didn’t get too far.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I bought this game now so I’m gonna play this game. Any dope beginner tips? I’ve played about 20 hours of CK2 but didn’t get too far.

Starting out, playing as a viking culture is nice because you can raid for gold and prestige. Good way to learn the ropes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

A good beginner start is 1066 Bohemia since they're fairly powerful, protected by the HRE, start with Seniority so you don't split apart on death, and have some real definite goals.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Byzantine empire and the HRE both exploded in my last playthrough.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

When I played with House Seniority, it worked for a little until the player heir was a distant relative with a crappy spouse and grown kids.
If you're good at the marriage game then you can inherit massive amounts of territory using seniority.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Neurion posted:

Yer thinking of House Seniority, which sucks imo. Rulers tend to inherit when they're older, and don't have as much time to build up a Long Reign bonus. Also more costly to disinherit dynasts that are already landed.

Yeah, this one. For me the real succession issue was getting a heir with no perks and prestige. When 50-years old inherits they have a lot of perks and prestige. You can instantly go to war and grab some perks helping to start a proper reign.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

If you're good at the marriage game then you can inherit massive amounts of territory using seniority.

I've never played with house seniority, could you explain? This seems interesting.
Also, how does house seniority interact with absolute crown authority? Can you designate heir?
If your heir has confederate partition, and you have house seniority, do they keep confederate partition or do they inherit the new realm law?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

scaterry posted:

I've never played with house seniority, could you explain? This seems interesting.

It's mostly academical. You marry your children to some King's children with the offspring being from your dynasty (so either your son regulary or your daughter matrinally). So eventually someone from your dynasty straight up inherits their throne (possibly with some stabbing help on your part) or gets a claim that you might press for them. Then you have to hope that that part of your dynasty manages to hold onto the throne, and gets old enough to eventually end up as your heir as the oldest member of your house. And if you have Seniority via the czech shortcut, then you additionally have to hope that guy/gal didn't take the easy way out and converted to the local culture of whatever kingdom they rule, because in that case your succession will revert back to partition upon them becoming your character, and gently caress up everything for you.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
That seems harder than just keeping regular inheritance and getting good marriages for your heir. In my empire of France game I’ve inherited good amounts of England from marrying my heirs off to British Duchesses.

Might be random but seems like a lot of single female rulers end up ruling in Britannia for some reason

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I want to make portugal. I finally got the duchy of Beja but now I'm over the domain limit. I also need to pay 250 gold to take the title of duchy of Beja for myself, but then I'd be over the limit of duchies a king can have I think (or maybe not, I lose one of my kingdoms with succession). Will I still be able to get the duchy of Beja if I give some of its counties to my vassals? If one of my vassals controls the duchy of Beja will I still be able to make Portugal when I get the other duchy I still need for Portugal?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes. Title creation counts everything in your Realm, which includes lands held by your vassals.

However, assuming you are a Duke, do not grant away a Duke level title, as the grantee will become independent (your vassals must be lower ranked than you). So hold all the duchy titles until you've formed Portugal, then give ducal titles away until you're under the limit.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 2, 2021

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Seniority is awesome early in the game before you have anything better, but after a couple of rulers you'll probably have the tech for High Partition anyway, which is decent enough. It's one of the reasons Czech culture is so good, with Zbrojnosh being the other part.

e:

Popoto posted:

Just popping in to recommend Pagan as a fun one to do for those that like playing tall. They are in the south-east most of the map.

Make sure to grab Dagon on the coast, for the awesome Shwedagon Pagoda. I like starting as the count of Dagon just for that thing.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 2, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. Title creation counts everything in your Realm, which includes lands held by your vassals.

However, assuming you are a Duke, do not grant away a Duke level title, as the grantee will become independent (your vassals must be lower ranked than you). So hold all the duchy titles until you've formed Portugal, then give ducal titles away until you're under the limit.

...Or if they do not exist or need to be taken with violence or usurped just do that as the last thing before making the kingdom title. You can keep two duchies without penalties (besides splitting in half on partition inheritance), make/usurp the others needed just before you make the kingdom. Like, literally, safe enough money to make everything at once, put the game on pause and make them all at the same time because those decisions do not have spin up or cool down counters with them. It also ensures nothing stupid happens in-between the acts of making the new titles and granting them away.

If you need to take third duchy or are in danger of dying before getting enough resources just destroy the title. That mood hit is nothing compared to the lost amount of work when your country splits in half, or all your vassals decide to get independent because you are hogging all the titles for duke. Although you might need to count how many vassals you can keep so that you still have enough room to get the kingdom done.

Its a bit of a stupid fix but if the ducal title does not exist in your realm nobody actually misses or wants it, or demand that to be made, and counts cannot form new duchies if their liege is duke.

The exact same thing works BTW on the jump from kingdom to an empire; just make the other needed kingdoms official just before your crown yourself an emperor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There is a penalty to tax and levy contribution if you're not a vassal's de jure liege (ie. for dukes, you rule a count who's primary title is not in one of your duchies). It's not a huge penalty but it's not nothing either.

But doesn't the "Too many duchies" penalty only apply to Kings and up? I thought you were allowed to hold as many top level titles as you wanted.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

There is a penalty to tax and levy contribution if you're not a vassal's de jure liege (ie. for dukes, you rule a count who's primary title is not in one of your duchies). It's not a huge penalty but it's not nothing either.

But doesn't the "Too many duchies" penalty only apply to Kings and up? I thought you were allowed to hold as many top level titles as you wanted.

Yes, you can hold all the duchies you want until you gain a kingdom, then you get hit with the penalty for having more than 2.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

OneTruePecos posted:

Yes, you can hold all the duchies you want until you gain a kingdom, then you get hit with the penalty for having more than 2.

As a duke you'll eventually hit a penalty at 30 counties in your realm.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

OneTruePecos posted:

binge crotching posted:

As a duke you'll eventually hit a penalty at 30 counties in your realm.

This is true, but they are different penalties.

CK3 Wiki posted:

Overextension: If a character is a Count or Duke, their realm can include a maximum of 30 County titles without penalties; for Dukes, this include the Counties controlled by their Count Vassals. Each county over the limit gives an overextension penalty that reduces the character's Gold income by -10%. Count-rank characters are unlikely to see this however, as they are further limited by their Domain Limit, which is usually much lower.

Too Many Held Duchies: If a character is a King or Emperor, they can hold a maximum of 2 Duchy titles without penalties. Any Duchy above the limit reduces the Opinion of all Vassals by -15.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big fan of realm splitting civil wars because my vassals don't want to be ruled by an icky woman and want my male cousin to take over.

Seriously this is great, though it's kinda annoying they were only at 81% power when they launched and if just one person wasn't there I could proceed with the Reconquista as planned.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So as a relatively new player, do y’all just get used to the strange sounding and very similar names everyone has in certain regions? I’m afraid to start as a larger entity than a duchy because having 50+ vassals/relatives/ court members becomes unmanageable for me because I can remember very few names. It’s also likely I’m going about it the wrong way and that’s what I’m hoping is true.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You don't really need to remember very many names. If people show up in events you can usually click them to go to their character panel.

The only names I bother remembering are my children so I can just look at the title's line of succession in order to find out which counties I'm losing to partition.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

chaosapiant posted:

So as a relatively new player, do y’all just get used to the strange sounding and very similar names everyone has in certain regions? I’m afraid to start as a larger entity than a duchy because having 50+ vassals/relatives/ court members becomes unmanageable for me because I can remember very few names. It’s also likely I’m going about it the wrong way and that’s what I’m hoping is true.
You don't really need to remember most. Your Strong Vassals will be marked with an icon, you can click through almost every time someone is mentioned in an event to find out who they are. I tend to remember characters based on their appearance rather than name anyway. Since some of the titles/naming for the non-euro cultures are a bit weird for me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Thanks to 3D portraits it's actually easier to remember people by appearance.

Anyway there are so many characters you interact with you wouldn't remember their names even if they were all familiar.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Not just the portraits, but the poses and expressions they make based on their personalities also helps to identify and remember them a bit better. I often find myself being harsher and quicker to enter hostilities with characters that have craven or scheming poses. One time in my Byz playthrough, I somehow got this one duchess extremely pissed with me and she had me murdered. She was a hideous woman, obese from gluttony, short, and with a permanent sour scowl. My heir never officially found out how his father died, but he did set out to make this woman's life a living hell because she just seemed so unpleasant.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I like to give all the important people fun and silly hats.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My issue is with the marriage screen, if I’m trying to find a relatively nearby spouse for someone but don’t recognize any of the duchy or county names, I have to go by the spouse’s culture

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That was a problem in CK2, as well. The two most important considerations in that list are what claims they have and, if you'll get an alliance, where their realm is in physical relation to yours. Neither of those things are displayed there; you have to hover over a thing to see the claims and back all the way out back to the map to look up where their random-rear end duchy is.

e: Arguably third- and fourth- most important: how much Prestige will be gained, and is this incestuous? And neither of those are on the list, either.

megane fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 3, 2021

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

If you're playing in one place a lot you'll quickly learn the nearby duchies. There are what seems like a lot but actually I find I just learn them pretty quick cause there isn't really that many.

Somewhere new and unknown to you can be annoying though as you have to keep checking the map.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Just bought the game! Looks outrageously complicated, but fun. I'm already stuck with the tutotrial unfortunately and was hoping someone might be able to shine some light on this for me.. In the "current situation" list is says I can declare war on two people, yet I'm unable to declare war on either, even after selecting the 'casus beli':

https://paste.pics/B7NSW

The 'declare war' button just remains unselectable whether I've selected the casus beli or not :(
Any help much appreciated.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

a pwn cocktail posted:

Just bought the game! Looks outrageously complicated, but fun. I'm already stuck with the tutotrial unfortunately and was hoping someone might be able to shine some light on this for me.. In the "current situation" list is says I can declare war on two people, yet I'm unable to declare war on either, even after selecting the 'casus beli':

https://paste.pics/B7NSW

The 'declare war' button just remains unselectable whether I've selected the casus beli or not :(
Any help much appreciated.

It looks like you have armies raised in the screenshot, you aren't allowed to declare war while you have armies raised, you need to declare and then raise.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

Reveilled posted:

It looks like you have armies raised in the screenshot, you aren't allowed to declare war while you have armies raised, you need to declare and then raise.

Thank you!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Also, as a general rule, if something can't be done, you can hover over the disabled button and it'll pop up an explanation for why it is disabled at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

One thing about not needing to remember someone is that occasionally you *will* remember someone and the game gets almost moving. The knight who slew your enemy in battle so you give him a county and then forty years later your character’s kid gets invited to a feast at his place. And you go and you have a good time with this old count who helped your dead dad.

It’s why I love the game so much.