Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

litany of gulps posted:

I have hit such a wall with this game. It is the first CK game that I have played, but I've done strategy games my entire life. I went with Sigurdr and went for a hyper-aggressive paint the map style from the beginning. My third generation set me back a bit because it broke up my conquest, but it was easy to recover after some advice from this thread. My fourth generation ruler has a tremendously large empire. He's 68 and will probably live a lot longer, because he has all sorts of health bonuses.

He has six kids that I've given equal portions. If he lives to 78, I'll finish researching the tech that leads to absolute crown authority, but I don't think he'll be able to implement it, because there are two steps there after the tech research is done to implement it. The entire empire may splinter when he dies. This basically happened in the previous generation, but stitching it back together was trivial.

If I keep waging war on my neighbors, I'm pretty sure that I can conquer enormous portions of the map before this emperor dies. It would make sense, my whole game has been about insane aggression. I just keep thinking about how it might all fall apart, that I ought to quit while I'm ahead. That makes it hard to keep playing.

I can invade West Francia. They're more or less an equal, but I'm pretty sure I can overwhelm them. But am I going to spend days grinding them down only for my lovely sons to lose it all? Why even bother? Maybe I should just build some farms. Or play Bannerlord. Ugh

Now you know how Genghis Khan feels. Honestly, you have to learn to let go sometimes. Give your best duchy or kingdom to a favorite son, give your heir a new territory, give your poo poo son some doomed region that would require some measure of effort to hold. Then watch how it plays out. Convert your realm to a new religion, slaughter a hated courtiers entire dynasty. The map painter aspect of this game is IMO it’s lowest form of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tias posted:

Between triggering the blót and the sacrifice event? Gotcha! Seems a little confusing, but I don't think I've tried that.

After you choose the option for human vs animals in the event, that's when you can designate a prisoner.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If having kids gives you that much angst, you can get mods that allow you to use primogeniture off the bat.

As far as managing a raft of kids, I feel like if you're RPing you should have as many as possible but if you're gaming it, it's going to depend on if divorce is allowed or not. Right now I'm playing as some Mideast count, now I've taken over the Baghdad region and stacking cash like crazy. Because I have carte blanche to divorce, once I have an heir and a spare I jettison my existing wives and marry a bunch of infertile lady stat sticks. One heir isn't a big deal to disinherit if you want, but it's better to just let them have a trash duchy. If you don't have access to divorce, then dip into learning for one cycle and pick up restraint, and then turn your dick off whenever you don't want to have more kids (just make sure you don't have a reveler trait).

But like others have said, if you're playing simply to pick up territory, kids are a pain in the rear end, but if you're playing the dynasty game, it's totally different. The game becomes strategizing about how to grab various polities in order to ensure your kids end up with good seats that contribute to your dynasty growth. If you think about it, the size of your realm is kind of besides the point; you get almost all your money from your personal demense, so if you make the Empire of Hispania, say, who cares if your kids snake the kingdom of Valencia? Taking over the whole world and making it one color is fun maybe once.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

binge crotching posted:

After you choose the option for human vs animals in the event, that's when you can designate a prisoner.

And just to follow up on this, you have to go into your dungeon and right click a guy and designate them the sacrifice. It won't prompt you to.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Just defended Salerno from an ERE holy war and the Basileus had to pay me 1,460 ducats. drat, that felt good.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Finally got the hang of norsing, and have formed two kingdoms with my second PC, but I dislike his traits and have also gotten the hang of changing to scandinavian voting succession.. and then my super kid who's an intelligent poet set to reform Ásatrú, gets murdered without a trace. A couple days later his brother eats it, again without a trace.

Remaining brother is a paranoid berserker with logistician and master strategist. I love this game!

Tias
May 25, 2008

E: Hin gentaget sćtning

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Tias posted:

Finally got the hang of norsing, and have formed two kingdoms with my second PC, but I dislike his traits and have also gotten the hang of changing to scandinavian voting succession.. and then my super kid who's an intelligent poet set to reform Ásatrú, gets murdered without a trace. A couple days later his brother eats it, again without a trace.

Remaining brother is a paranoid berserker with logistician and master strategist. I love this game!

Sounds like Odin has given you a sign of the future.

Tias
May 25, 2008

He already ded

Now it's an intelligent legendary blademaster who's ambitious, impatient and arbitrary. The gods can take a lot of my kids and still leave ornery warriors :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Eugh, my guy died and now I lost both the kingdoms of norway and denmark. What did I do wrong? Should I have changed succession laws in those to some kind of gavelkind?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
You mentioned scandinavian elective, if all your kingdoms are set to that it's a separate election with different voters for each one that you have to keep track of. If not, they will default to partition and will be basically round-robin distributed out to your oldest heirs.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ah, ok - thanks a lot! I was never informed of active elections in those kingdoms, but at least I've inherited the claims and can now carve them back into the fold. It's just that I wanted to form the empire of high seas at some point, and that means holding all of them for 40 years or so..

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 3, 2021

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Had a giant English empire of England, Ireland, Wales, Brittany, all the French countries, and Frisia. Because I owned Frisia, it put me on the radar of the HRE. All of a sudden, a couple Germans die and I inherited the entire HRE and own all of westerns and Central Europe.

But I didn’t want Central Europe, so I destroyed the HRE and started granting all these dukes independence and am reveling in the chaos

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Trevor Hale posted:

But I didn’t want Central Europe, so I destroyed the HRE and started granting all these dukes independence and am reveling in the chaos

I just inherited West Francia last night before I went to bed and have decided to do the same when I fire it back up tonight. I don’t really want to administer an entire additional kingdom but I wouldn’t mind weakening it significantly.

I also read back through the DDs they’ve been doing for Royal Court and I’m extremely excited. Not honestly a ton for the 3D scenes yet - I think that’ll take me trying them with a court and characters I care about - but all the culture changes, titles and event stuff. Cultures especially look like they’ll be a lot of fun and with all the traits broken down so granularly now it seems like it’ll be great for future expansion/modding.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I restored the roman borders and no longer have imperial reconquest anywhere, and have a big blob of never-Rome making up most of West and central Europe. But, my internal borders are full on gore.

I want to give some empires to dynasty members, but the result will be complete border gore.

Is there a way (short of jailing all my underlings, seizing all their titles and then granting everything out properly) to actually sort it so I can give away, say, Britain as Britain, and Spain as Spain rather than ending up with Spain having bits of England and Greece, Britain having chunks of France and Germany, etc?

And if not, what's the best way to go about jailing literally everyone so I can seize back all titles and redistribute?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Jailing less-than-everyone can be done easily enough if you can find jail reasons, or fabricate them.

Jailing everyone is basically having a very large MAA army that's not been neglected as you grew to emperor (since you're already the biggest guy, why keep making more?), then start on the tyranny late in life. Make sure dread's at 100, go hog wild, pass problem to child who'll be at -100 with everyone but that'll decay quick enough if he can hold on. Have his mum be spymaster or something.

Border Gore is a problem in this game, yes. De Jure stuff isn't factored in strongly enough imo.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I do really wish there was a combined "Revoke/Transfer Title" interaction where you could revoke a county and immediately give it to the proper de jure holder with no/minimal Tyranny since you're not doing it to hoard the county yourself but merely respecting long-established de jure boundaries within your realm. Maybe both the "Revoked my Vassal" opinion penalty and the "Granted me a Vassal" opinion bonus could be cut in half since it's a more "expected" thing to do on both sides.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Masonity posted:

I restored the roman borders and no longer have imperial reconquest anywhere, and have a big blob of never-Rome making up most of West and central Europe. But, my internal borders are full on gore.

I want to give some empires to dynasty members, but the result will be complete border gore.

Is there a way (short of jailing all my underlings, seizing all their titles and then granting everything out properly) to actually sort it so I can give away, say, Britain as Britain, and Spain as Spain rather than ending up with Spain having bits of England and Greece, Britain having chunks of France and Germany, etc?

And if not, what's the best way to go about jailing literally everyone so I can seize back all titles and redistribute?

Just start seizing titles and redistributing. Start with the guy most likely to refuse, and you'll probably trigger a big rear end rebellion. Win that civil war, start revoking titles from guys with titles in multiple Kingdoms, rinse and repeat. Be prepared for several civil wars if you haven't been policing your vassals up to this point.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Hargrimm posted:

I do really wish there was a combined "Revoke/Transfer Title" interaction where you could revoke a county and immediately give it to the proper de jure holder with no/minimal Tyranny since you're not doing it to hoard the county yourself but merely respecting long-established de jure boundaries within your realm. Maybe both the "Revoked my Vassal" opinion penalty and the "Granted me a Vassal" opinion bonus could be cut in half since it's a more "expected" thing to do on both sides.

So to view this from the other side: you are a count trying to build your own domain. You falsify some claims and steal from your neighbouring vassal. Then your King just takes the county off you and gives it back because it's "their" De Jure land. Not really fun IMO

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PancakeTransmission posted:

So to view this from the other side: you are a count trying to build your own domain. You falsify some claims and steal from your neighbouring vassal. Then your King just takes the county off you and gives it back because it's "their" De Jure land. Not really fun IMO

Doesn't need to be symmetrical at all. The game's very clearly catered to being player-centric, several mechanics are special-cased for AI vs Player.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Serephina posted:

Doesn't need to be symmetrical at all. The game's very clearly catered to being player-centric, several mechanics are special-cased for AI vs Player.

Yeah but most of that is for performance reasons. This is likely just my wishful thinking though, I'm one of those people that prefers to minimize the asymmetry between players and AI when possible.

That said, for those who refuse to dehumanize themselves and face to border gore, there's always retracting the problematic vassals (as in not revoking them, but saying "this duke/count is now in Imperial Immediacy, sucks to be you King/Duke Whoever") then transferring them to where they belong.

Less tyranny (only 5 per title instead of 20 unless you have a revocation reason - vassals may respect "long established traditional boundaries" but they respect their property rights more) and depending on the internal gore situation the opinion penalties might balance out - and hey, if there's a general rebellion then you suddenly get a lot more revocation reasons and your knights get some exercise. But I shudder to think of how many clicks that would take in large scale messes.

edit: In other news, it's hard to reconcile the "release is hopefully this year but don't expect it soon" messaging with the fact the dev diaries are now about bottom-of-the-barrel topics like "new event window styles" and "sound design" (not that I don't get hype for New Waldetoft Tracks, but I never thought that was a widely suffered condition).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 6, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Got CK3 on the paradox sale a couple of weeks ago and finally sat down and played a few hours. Seems pretty fun, though I do miss the ability to play republics in CK2. That was always fun for me since I like playing tall.

Any recommended regions/general strats for a tall playstyle in CK3? It looks like tech is SUBSTANTIALLY different from CK2, and I don't see a huge benefit to getting more learning on my PC since tech is shared and researched across the whole culture, rather than by individual characters, creating a bit of a tragedy of the commons where I benefit from all the hard work of others if I don't personally invest in it and instead invest in selfishly useful things. Am I missing something about this tech system?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any recommended regions/general strats for a tall playstyle in CK3? It looks like tech is SUBSTANTIALLY different from CK2, and I don't see a huge benefit to getting more learning on my PC since tech is shared and researched across the whole culture, rather than by individual characters, creating a bit of a tragedy of the commons where I benefit from all the hard work of others if I don't personally invest in it and instead invest in selfishly useful things. Am I missing something about this tech system?

Bohemia is good for going tall, your starting duchy has 6 or 7 counties in it, very defensible ringed by mountains, and a mine for huge personal income. You can stay a vassal of the HRE as long as you want for the bonuses from holding an Empire-level council position which are surprisingly huge. And there's an achievement for starting there and getting your dynasty to eventually hold both the kingdom of Bohemia and the HRE if you like achievements.

While the % chance of progressing in tech is determined by the average development of all counties of the culture, the actual progress you get when it triggers is influenced by the culture head's individual Learning, so assuming you are the head it's definitely beneficial.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah. The current tech system really prioritizes having as few counties of your culture as possible.
If you want to tech fast, here’s what you do—
1. Find a countyless culture, and convert to it. (Examples include Frankish, Khitan, Songhai, as well as some ruler-desginer only cultures like Roman, German, Jurchen)
2. Convert your realm capital to it, and stack dev. To stack dev fast you ideally want a lot of dev to begin with, a good number of coastal baronies, good terrain for your county capital, and a high stewardship friend as your steward. The centralization perk, diligent decision, Cordoba holy site, and coinage rights are also helpful. Madurai, Rome, and Skane(?) are good choices.
3. Stack learning and fascination bonuses. This means going down the learning lifestyle, grabbing the house of Baghdad, getting learning holy site bonuses, etc..
4. In terms of innovation choice, you can ignore dev penalty limit increases, you’ll be way above it anyway. You want to grab important innovations first (CA, succession types) before grabbing improved buildings.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Got CK3 on the paradox sale a couple of weeks ago and finally sat down and played a few hours. Seems pretty fun, though I do miss the ability to play republics in CK2. That was always fun for me since I like playing tall.

Only the cultural head's learning matters for determining tech progress. I think there's quite a benefit for you assuming that role/maintaining a decent learning stat.
For example not being the cultural head of the norse in the early start often means that the cultural head's learning stat will be low single digits for two generations (Bjorn and his son) which will significantly hamper tech growth.

The strategy for teching up in a way that benefits you exclusively is to adopt a small culture for your territory and increase development/maintain high learning. (Such as the Czechs)

(Sorry lots of this seems to be duplicated in the post above!)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the way you play "tall" (incidentally I hate that term, also you shouldn't expect to be playing with a constant empire anyway, you will be routinely having bits carved off and re-attached due to Partition, and this is a good thing) isn't with tech, it's with income. Get yourself some well developed and high income counties, then clown on people with your superior military.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Another option is the gallantry tree and anything that improves on it. Have female courtiers to matrilineally marry off to people with high martial living abroad, invite knights, stack knight bonuses and stack the lifestyle choices and buildings that let you get more knights at once.

I did a Han Chinese run the other day and could take on larger neighbours by stacking knight bonuses. 20+ swordmaster knights mowing through hordes of levies and murdering opposing nobles every fight. The stacked bonuses get kind of silly, eventually hitting wuxia levels.

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Another option is the gallantry tree and anything that improves on it. Have female courtiers to matrilineally marry off to people with high martial living abroad, invite knights, stack knight bonuses and stack the lifestyle choices and buildings that let you get more knights at once.

I did a Han Chinese run the other day and could take on larger neighbours by stacking knight bonuses. 20+ swordmaster knights mowing through hordes of levies and murdering opposing nobles every fight. The stacked bonuses get kind of silly, eventually hitting wuxia levels.

I think martial's probably a good sorting stat for this but for anyone newish wanting to try this you actually want high prowess for your knights. Duelist traits or physical stats (Strong/huge etc.) are good indicators for candidates as well.
AFAIK there is no way to see prowess without opening each potential character's character sheet.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fairly sure you can sort by prowess in character finder.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Guzba posted:

I think martial's probably a good sorting stat for this but for anyone newish wanting to try this you actually want high prowess for your knights. Duelist traits or physical stats (Strong/huge etc.) are good indicators for candidates as well.
AFAIK there is no way to see prowess without opening each potential character's character sheet.

Also when you open the "make knight" page it sorts them by their prowess.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

If only there was a decision to form Rome as a Muslim empire

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of terrible empire names, do you guys try to come up with fitting names for your patchwork empires and kingdoms or just go with defaults? Sardinia et Corsica can kiss my rear end.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Early game, 1.5-2k MaA should be enough, especially if you have 5+ counties with the relevant building. As the game goes on you'll need more, but even 1200s you don't need more than 3-4k MaA to repeatedly wipe his stacks. The first battle is the hardest, after that it's all just mercs, which are 90% levies.

KDdidit posted:

Yeah when you declare on The Pope don't be fooled by his initial troop numbers, he's going to hire tons of Mercs.

Hm yeah when I tried to attack the pope in 1150 I got wrecked immediately even though the game was telling me he was "weaker" than me. I guess that would have been from mercs? He doesn't get allied with anyone does he?

I'll have to have a closer look at how big my MaA is.

At this point in my Sicilian game I have almost all of Italy excepting the Papacy so I really gotta take down the Pope at some point some how.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

Hm yeah when I tried to attack the pope in 1150 I got wrecked immediately even though the game was telling me he was "weaker" than me. I guess that would have been from mercs? He doesn't get allied with anyone does he?

I'll have to have a closer look at how big my MaA is.

At this point in my Sicilian game I have almost all of Italy excepting the Papacy so I really gotta take down the Pope at some point some how.

Yeah the Pope will always hire a shitload of mercs because he has a ton of cash.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the character finder (and really all sorting options in the game) why the hell do they reset all the time? It’s super frustrating when you’re trying to sort marriages and have to keep switching the sort you want back every time you look at a person.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They added a button to save search presets on it, which is great but still the opposite of what I imagine most people use cases are. Just have it remember the last search (including ascending order) and a button to reset all filters.

Maddeningly, the arrange marriage popup iirc keeps searches, which catches me offguard sometimes as I use it much less than the character search.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My reestablish the Roman Empire without ever becoming Emperor run is going quite well.

I started as the count of Syracuse and am currently Despot of Sicily and Romagna. Rulers of my dynasty are Despot of Croatia, Serbia, Epirus, Africa, Egypt and Krete. Just need Syria and the Holy Land and we are set.

My heir and his older sister are geniuses and rocking an interesting look with the dark skin and blonde hair. Their mother is a Coptic princess.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Will the AI form the Roman Empire on their own?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

How are u posted:

Will the AI form the Roman Empire on their own?

I'll soon find out. If not, I'll switch characters just long enough to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Quick question on Muslim succession. If I take secondary wives and produce children with them, will they be automatically be treated the same as children from my first wife with regard to succession, e.g. in confederate partition will titles be split among all children, regardless of their mother?

If so, are there any ways specifically under this system to avoid losing titles on death, or should I simply limit the amount of children in the same way as I might in a non-polygamous setting?