Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I really like the maximum siege length timer from that video. It's infuriating in pdx games when you sit at your maximum siege level for months on end, wondering 'will this be the month the RNG lands in my favor?" You could always try to assault them once the number of defenders drop down but without a way to automate that decision you have to pay close attention to it when I would rather be paying attention to their armies moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like we’ll get something starting tomorrow, even if it doesn’t sound like a full embargo drop. Maybe just a curated list of videos for now.

Also that kid looks punchable enough that I wouldn’t feel bad at all if he found the wrong end of a knife.

https://twitter.com/ProudBavaria/status/1297908437418938368

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
We know that reviews are embargoed until the 31st or 1st so we're only going to get limited stuff before then.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s pretty common for video/stream embargo’s to be before press review embargo’s. Imperator and HoI4 both had lets plays up days before launch but has launch-date reviews. Obviously that might change here, though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anno posted:

Looks like we’ll get something starting tomorrow, even if it doesn’t sound like a full embargo drop. Maybe just a curated list of videos for now.

Also that kid looks punchable enough that I wouldn’t feel bad at all if he found the wrong end of a knife.

For whatever reason this looked way too much like a Dragon's Dogma screenshot to me.

gently caress now I want just a bugfuck insane Dragon's Dogma overhaul mod.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think I'm gonna do my first playthrough as a count in the HRE thunderdome. It's usually a pretty interesting area and you don't have to worry about getting Holy War'd or raided.

liveoctopus
Oct 18, 2005

We're probably going to be seeing people streaming this for 12 hours a day all week yet not be allowed to comment on whether they're enjoying it or not because the review embargo isn't up yet. Kind of silly, but that's where we are these days.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Probably going to do the tutorial and then try to build the Habsburgs up from the single county (I think it’s single county in 1066) to master the micro parts of dynasty/house management and plant our inbred asses on several thrones.

However...
CK3 is adding the extant Bozo culture group in modern Mali, so Clown Empire, 2020.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Part 4 of the developer streams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJDEFaz_Ks

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Torrannor posted:

Since the game isn't out yet, we can't tell for sure which starts will be newbie friendly. But look at this stream highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxjYtoFDSE&t=14s

The game will suggest various easier and harder starts to you, several for each region and start date.

Thanks a lot for that! Everything seems really parsable in that, which is often my problem with Paradox games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Anno posted:

"Mother said it is my turn to ride the jousting horse."

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

START ANGERMANLAND!!!! or maybe dublin, always had fun with both.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Man, I'm hyped for the religious mechanics alone.

Going to play a LOT of pagan characters it seems, and maybe even a few Christian ones just to try making my own heretical faiths.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Are they doing a pre load on steam?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

teacup posted:

Are they doing a pre load on steam?

Probably not, judging by previous releases. Game is 8GB according to the requirements on Steam.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
One thing I would like to see is with hooks: we know that if you have a strong hook on someone, you can force them into your schemes, but I bfeel like they should have an opportunity to expose their own secret, depending on what you're asking them to do. Like, if you ask someone to murder someone they have an enormous opinion of, there should be some people who still refuse, even at great risk to themselves.

Imagine having a strong hook on a rival king and trying to get him in on your plot to murser his only heir. No one would do that.

I like the mechanic, but it has potential to be really stupid depending on if it is literally a "cannot refuse" or not.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

One thing I would like to see is with hooks: we know that if you have a strong hook on someone, you can force them into your schemes, but I bfeel like they should have an opportunity to expose their own secret, depending on what you're asking them to do. Like, if you ask someone to murder someone they have an enormous opinion of, there should be some people who still refuse, even at great risk to themselves.

Imagine having a strong hook on a rival king and trying to get him in on your plot to murser his only heir. No one would do that.

I like the mechanic, but it has potential to be really stupid depending on if it is literally a "cannot refuse" or not.

I think this is how it works? If someone uses a hook on you, you do have the option of refusing and it will expose the secret (and causing the hook to be lost because it's no longer a secret).

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Veryslightlymad posted:

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I'm going to start as Burma and reform Rome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Veryslightlymad posted:

I think they've mentioned that you can't force people to help you kill their friends, lovers, or close family even with strong hooks.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

The North Tower posted:

Probably going to do the tutorial and then try to build the Habsburgs up from the single county (I think it’s single county in 1066) to master the micro parts of dynasty/house management and plant our inbred asses on several thrones.

However...
CK3 is adding the extant Bozo culture group in modern Mali, so Clown Empire, 2020.

I’m gonna miss the 936 start. You could play as an Etichonen and make a decision to form the house of Habsburg. One of the only ways in CK2 to switch dynasties legitimately.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I have a sense of dread that CK3 gonna turn out real bad. Imperator bad. Hope I'm wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Imperator is a fine game but yes the reception will be similar.

Paradox fans are hilariously predictable

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I think this one has a lot of “internet street cred” going for it, bubbling above the just general scene. Stellaris had a lot of issues and look at it now- huge reception.

Super fans are the worst, and the correct response to anyone who wants to rip on a new game (other than if it’s a buggy mess) in the series is “then play CK2 then?”

I can’t wait!!

Good to hear it’s only 8GB. Does anyone know what time it normally unlocks? I’m in Australia (ordered on steam)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit more optimistic about CK3 just because CK as a series has a much more specific focus than Imperator did. The character driven, dynastic gameplay is what makes it unique and they are clearly focusing heavily on that. Imperator is a weird mess of ideas that are all kind of interesting on their own but don't really come together in a cohesive way. Stellaris has sort of the same issue, but they've had more time to hammer away at Stellaris to try to figure out what its deal is (I think they aren't quite there yet, but I do still like to play it sometimes).

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Paradox fans are hilariously predictable

Imperator is not a fine game, lol

And "Paradox fans" can't be that predictable when the "trend" you're referencing is only for one game. :nono:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

teacup posted:

I think this one has a lot of “internet street cred” going for it, bubbling above the just general scene. Stellaris had a lot of issues and look at it now- huge reception.

Super fans are the worst, and the correct response to anyone who wants to rip on a new game (other than if it’s a buggy mess) in the series is “then play CK2 then?”

I can’t wait!!

Good to hear it’s only 8GB. Does anyone know what time it normally unlocks? I’m in Australia (ordered on steam)

Early afternoon Europe time, I think is what our resident in-house dev said. I have no idea how that translates to the upside-down lands on the wrong end of the date line.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

teacup posted:

I can’t wait!!

Probably 4 PM Central European Summer Time so about midnight for you I'd guess.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
RE: Imperator, there were a lot of little things that hinted it wasn't a great game. Being mostly a reskinned EU4, for one. I think a better comparison for CK3 is Stellaris, which did have some real problems but those issues didn't really matter for the first 30-40 hours of the game because the core gameplay loop was entertaining enough. And that's a worst-case, CK3 could easily be like it's predecessor and simply be a Good Game at release.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Thanks for the replies regarding hooks. I'm now sad that the mutual blackmail option isn't on the table.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It was pretty clear that Imperator had a lot of questionable design decisions from the dev diaries, people just bought it thinking the game was good despite those. It wasn't.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
btw, if people hadn't already seen, Paradox partnered with the Kings & Generals channel on youtube and had them produce two videos explaining the state of the world for each start date

867: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWsiN4iQI0

1066:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW91dnqSsAo

shows the full map for those start dates and might help people make their decision on their first couple games

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ham posted:

And "Paradox fans" can't be that predictable when the "trend" you're referencing is only for one game. :nono:

I feel like Paradox fans are pretty inclined to leave negative reviews these days.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ham posted:

Imperator is not a fine game, lol

Nah they have been this way for a while, they just memoryhole it and pretend they didn’t do it so they can hate the new shiny thing. Repeats itself over and over again.

Gonna happen to CK3 as well

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like Paradox fans are pretty inclined to leave negative reviews these days.

It might seem that way in passing but to me its reflective of the quality of the DLC and the monetization for each individual game. Here's how the latest DLCs for each of their big games did, it's not a general negative trend in any way:

For their full releases after CK2:

Imperator was an outlier because it was a bad game, no matter how many times someone goes "Imperator was ROBBED".

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
ck3 has the have decency going for it that ck2 itself was a simple game, with ck3 being an engine update and apparently a baseline rules update to fix up the stuff they couldn't do in holy fury, I guess.

it might still be contentless event-wise drivel

that said given it's both on the gamepass and the preorder bonus is clothes which, lmao, just sit on it whatev

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

CharlestheHammer posted:

This post owns

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I was going to say much what Gamerofthegame said; CK3 has a great deal of CK2 to build on, curating ideas that were good, ditching things that were bad, refining things that were clumsy. Imperator didn't really ever figure out what it actually wanted to be. CK3 knows exactly what it wants to be, which one presumes helps focus development choices.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Ms Adequate posted:

I was going to say much what Gamerofthegame said; CK3 has a great deal of CK2 to build on, curating ideas that were good, ditching things that were bad, refining things that were clumsy. Imperator didn't really ever figure out what it actually wanted to be. CK3 knows exactly what it wants to be, which one presumes helps focus development choices.

If you happened to play the old Rome game Imperator looked/sounded/felt a lot like a beefed up version of that. The entire game feels like something that could have been fun if EU4 and CK2 had never existed. Unfortunately they do, and so imperator is an unfun piece of poo poo in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ms Adequate posted:

I do think there is an issue of what fans wanted and what game Johan wanted to make. I think a lot of people wanted was an EU4-CK2 mix set in Rome times, and instead what they got was the very gamey game that Johan is a big fan of. Personally I'm on the fan's side on this one, just glad I didn't pre-order that one.