Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Guest posted:

Something that's always bothered me in CK2/3 is that the AI will happily enter their female heir/ruler into a non-matrilineal marriage of their own accord, but if you propose it they absolutely will not go for it. One of the devs explained at some point that this was because matrilineal marriages weren't really a thing historically, and are more of a contrivance for gameplay purposes. Which is fine, I just don't get why it should be a factor in whether the AI accepts a marriage proposal from the player. I get that it's probably just for game balance purposes but it's kind of a bummer that it stops you from starting small and slowly blobbing over generations through strategic marriages, at least without a bunch of child murdering and going to war over claims. Which is kind of a shame since there's a bunch of perks and legacies around marriage acceptance which as it stands I've never found to be particularly useful.

I remember that when it came out, but they did explicitly address it in a patch and I haven't noticed it quite as much since. I can get matrilineal marriages easy as long as I'm not trying to rope down their heir or someone with very good claims. One of my first game empires collapsed because all the kingdoms of my descendants had intermarried so much, but the game had been set to heir equality out the gate before the patch fix, so the AI had made patrilineal marriages for all the female heads of house. So you wound up with the kingdom of Italy owning half of Spain and the kingdom of Africa owning Ireland. Except it was everything everywhere. Really screwed up all the dejure bonus's

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Phlegmish posted:

One thing I'm noticing is that there are no county-level buildings that provide bonuses to heavy cavalry. Doesn't that mean you're better off with Armored Footmen unless you have several duchies?

Right now I have 2 x Armored Footmen, 2 x Armored Horsemen, and 2 x Trebuchets. I'm not sure about the two trebuchets, might be a waste of a slot.

I find that sieges tend to be the slowest part of a war, two trebuchets and a lucky commander trait or perk to increase movement speed between sieges can really open up a fast war before the AI can efficiently respond.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The overwhelming power of upgraded MaA would almost be balanced if they couldn't just teleport all over the map. Make them only rally at your capital or evenly distributed through your personal holdings.

From a balance perspective it doesn't really make sense that I can disband an army in Spain and next day re-rally them in Egypt for a new war. But it certainly is fun.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

feldhase posted:

So like I haven’t really been able to sit down and play a proper game since release (thanks, job hunting and moving during the pandemic!) but now that I’m stable I really, really want to sit down and have a real wild ride. What’s a good start for someone who’s familiar with the game mechanics but hasn’t really encountered a whole lot yet?

I remember seeing someone saying Daura was good for that but I may be mistaken

I really enjoyed Bohemia

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Maybe make befriend a difficult general scheme, with benefits in the perk tree. But maybe importantly make characters develop more friends in their life naturally and through events.

Or have the perk be 'twisted friendship' where you become the most toxic individual imaginable and force concessions in the name of friendship.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
As long as you make sure your family is situated properly partition is fine. You just have to not try to horde it too early.

I currently have 6 heirs, and my main is losing 0 titles because the rest are already dukes with one county. Taking Fecund as an initial perk pays off long term as you'll always have dynasty members to fill all those count positions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

zoux posted:

I just passed the 200 hour mark so I'm just starting to understand the game, lemme ask a basic rear end question - what speed do you play on? I probably spend 80% on 4, swapping to 3 for delicate combat maneuvering and up to 5 when I need someone to die or to stack currency. Is that about right?

I spend a lot of the first 100 years in 3-4 dealing with details trying to solidify things. Once I’m setup with a powerful kingdom/empire title and have filled most of the local dutchys with my family then I’ll spend the rest of the game mashing 5 and watching the event queues as something forces a pause every 3 seconds

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

binge crotching posted:

Not really a fan of the overextension penalty for dukes having too large of a realm. I'm at -80% income from the overextension, and it's absolutely brutal since as a vassal I can't grant independence to any of my vassals.

Hold less duchies or become the king? Its really hard to hold to dig yourself a hole where you're personally holding that many duchies. The -80% penalty is the result of your greed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Once they accumulate two or three cities as they are like to do they'll be rolling with a 6k stack of MAA and are an excellent screening and flanking force while your main army handles sieges.

On the downside the holy orders for some reason don't like investing in their tenant cities and unlike vassals you're not allowed to build things on their behalf.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Shameful 1 stewardship vs more shameful 1 prowess.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Red armies are ones you're at war with

Yellow/Orange armies are ones that you're hostile too by virtue of their own war goals

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Once you smack them down once the bulk of them won't revolt again. If you have a well set up succession you won't even get a revolt at all. Its almost always because you're a belligerent king/emperor and too greedy and not focused on managing your existing domain.

The key is to not piss off your vassals and the ones you know are going to cause trouble for your kids need to be quietly kneecapped prior to your death.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You get used to it after a few games. Confederate Partition and Partition are simply fair splits, with the game trying to bundle things by De Jure zones. High Partition gets weird because it tries to give "half" of each of the splits to the Heir, and that can get wonky with unpredictable results but you still get most.

Its just a game of round-robin, or picking teams in the park, back and forth between the kids.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Four Dynasty perks in Blood, Two into Kin, and selective breeding gets you good results. But Genius is only a +5...

Sometimes things get rather exponential. I just found a vassal with 60 Learning

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
That is a big carp

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When deciding on what to conquer next, while its nice to pick independent counts/dukes with no alliances for easy wins, the best moves are to try to score the best developed counties early in the campaign. The development acts like such a strong multiplier that all the backwater russian counties in the world can't compete with Cairo/Thrace/Latium/ or the nice ones over in India that I can't remember the name of.

If you're going to go on a vangrian adventure might as well adventure to somewhere that'll earn its weight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

uPen posted:

Steam's timer isn't super useful if you're someone who will just leave games running while you're doing other things.

yeah I alt-tab a lot and just leave things on.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I keep having my rulers decide that they're secretly witches (Secret from me the player as well!) and constantly inviting more of the house into witchcraft.

Its great when they do this and I am also the head of faith, and get a pop up saying that i've been discovering teaching one of my kids witchcraft. Makes no sense at all.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think I won? Hadn't ever tried this before: Game rules were random religions and unlimited diplomatic range, so it was essentially a free for all chaos start. Might work well in a multiplayer game where you want everything to remain chaotic into the 1200's. As it was the religious infighting meant that there were an excessive amount of independent counts and dukes to gobble up. Declared my own militant religion early with Communion as a tenant, which gives me something like an additional ~500 gold a month to fuel the war machine marching ever westward. The recent uptick in gold income was switching many of my royal vassals to Scutage/High/Low for their contracts as my MaA are enough to handle everything except opposing kings and I don't need many levies. Pretty much every kid has gotten a dutchy though the years. A few got kingdoms. The insane renown income and the fact that everybody is related means I can mash "End Dynasty Wars" to make sure everything remains stable and paying taxes.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 18, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
One other oddity I noticed in this game: By abusing the religious income I can easily pay for barony buildings. But I've found that by filling all my vassal holdings with income buildings rather than military building's its substantially reduced any risk of revolt, and makes any revolts that do happen easy to put down. You only need to put down the first level of the building to lock the slot, which is cheap even in a regular game.

So everybody winds up on a High Tax Scutage contract with the majority of their holdings with Farm/Pasture/Guilt/Port/etc with all their excellent tax income going to me and almost no military power.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

zoux posted:

As long as it's my direct holding, any building troop bonus apply/stack across my whole army? It doesn't matter where the troops were raised from? What about for vassals, do my building bonuses apply to them?

Yes, all the "Holder of this holding" benefits are universal for the holder, but don't apply down to vassals or up to your liege.

If you turn your capitol county into a military power house it will cripple your early game revenue but as the game progress's and you have vassal tax's that core military strength will become nearly overwhelming.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I know you can Eugenics the traits, but are base stats also affected by parentage or only by childhood events/guardianship/etc?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Giving away titles won’t reduce the vassal limit. Give the dukes to other kings, even if it breaks dejure as the drift will eventually fix that. Get the dynasty perk that gives you an extra +10 on the limit. Start merging small kingdoms into larger ones. Or just stop expanding.

Grant independence to all the kingdoms in the far north/east etc that have no meaningful development or tax revenue.

You can also just eat the -95% penalty because you’ve kinda already won and you don’t need all those funds and levies to conquer the weaker edges of the world.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Holy sites also often help

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Paramemetic posted:

Started a Transylvanian witch cult but got done in because I started under a Khanate, expanded to have 3 duchies and 12 counties, but kept getting bullied in holy wars I couldn't participate in because they were against the khan's religion and not mine. Eventually saw I was bigger than than Khan so I went for independence, he white peaced his holy wars and fought me off, then Bulgaria and Hungary declared holy wars on him and... Immediately rushed in to beat up my army and siege my capital. Then he declared victory in my independence war and stripped me of everything. My family had all started murdering each other at some point also so I was gonna be down to an 8 year old heir with no claims when my guy died in prison. Figure that's a wrap.

I guess in my next game I need to 1) focus more on actually developing some holdings, 2) not start under a Khanate. Maybe if I start in the earlier year instead of 1066?

It's really annoying that tribal is limited to confederate partition but I think it would be better without a liege, especially not one hostile to my culture.

Anyhow, enjoyed making a witch coven so I'm just gonna do that again while maybe trying to find better circumstances for the start. I should probably play at the Duke level to start instead of the Count too, would cut down on Khan fuckery.

Edit: reading up it looks like I should probably improve men at arms too. I was like 2 generations in when I figured out you did that with buildings in holdings but I only ever had enough cash on hand to do that when I went raiding or waited 20 years so I guess I need to figure out some economy too.

I have the intrigue game down tho!!!

Edit 2: would really like to do some high level Catholic fuckery but also, witch cults. Maybe Italy........

Before you spend money improving MaA with buildings make sure you've got the MaA Regiments you want and that they're at the max size (that you can afford) for your era. Buildings make for nice buffs but if you don't have the numbers in the first place it can only help so much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Each of the MaA regiment has a size. Eg most are 100 units x Size per stack, heavy cavalry is 50 x Size per stack, and seige weapons are 10 x Size per stack. In each era there is a tech that unlocks having more per regiment, being early game 5/5 is the max for each of them. So early game there is the Mustering Grounds innovation that gives you +2 to the max size of a regiment and +1 to the number of regiments you can have. If you click on the regiment in your military screen you can change the size

So earliest game you can have 2-5 regiments (baseline depending on rank, Count is 2, Duke is 3, King is 4, and Emperor is 5) of Size 3 MaA

Mustering grounds bumps that up +1 and to size 5

Early Medieval Household soldiers gives you another Regiment up to size 8

High Medieval Men-at-arms is another +1 and up to size 12

Late Medieval Standing armies is yet another +1 to max regiments and up to size 17

The final teir of the Warfare Dynasty Legacy will give you yet another +1 to max regiments.

So at the pinnacle of military achievement you can theoretically support 10 Regiments of Size 17, which would be 17,000 infantry/light calvary if you only used the 100/per types.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PittTheElder posted:

It depends on what your start is. An 867 tribal like Rurik can play very aggressive right off the bat, while if you start as a Catholic count in 1066 you'll be playing a slower game; as the count you'll want to build up your MaA and find small brushfire wars to fight in hopes of taking captives to ransom for cash. The RoI on buildings is actually surprisingly terrible (which is very accurate historically speaking), you're better off trying to invest in an army and just conquering land instead.

Farms & Manors both pay for themselves in 28-25 years depending on the tier in raw revenue. Higher tiers paying off the cost faster, as the benefits to development growth and county tax's actually stack with the raw income to be more important as you get into the late game.
Pastoral lands take 65-45 years, but unlike farms also provide levies, reinforcement rate, and better supply limits which you can consider as income instead.
Every county should have a Guild, and if its on the coast a tradeport is slightly better than a guild, the development growth acts like a flat multiplier on all your other incomes.
monestaries also help make sure your control is solid so your income remains stable.

So buildings don't take that long to pay off.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You should be able to negotiate with the heir to add him to your court as a condition for his release. Make him your vessel then kill the father

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so besides bohemia are there any other meme-level op duchies in the game?

The farmland and mine in Bohemia far out strips most of the other duchies as the game progress's, and its incredibly easy to defend. Being next to Nitra and Moravia which themselves have great terrain and a mine helps too.

The other duchies with the mines are also generally great, Sardinia, Tyrol, Vengi, and Thuringia

But the Mines in Sweden just can't overcome the terrible terrain and low starting development. in Mali Africa Manding and Bambuk have the same problem, three mines but poor terrain and awful development.

Similarly Latina (Rome), Valois (Paris), Thrace (Constantinople), Thessalonica, Pandya Nadu, Kadeyarajid Raj, Gauda, are all great economic power houses but are wide open and hard to defend terrain wise

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah don't be afraid to build the level 1 buildings (or even upgrades) in your vassel's territories. Ensuring they don't stack up on military buildings ensures that your standing army is always superior and their tax revenue is substantial enough that you get your share.

Control in vassel's also does matter because you get a percentage of all their tax's, and if they are losing tax revenue due to low control that means you've lost it too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There are a lot of bugs with leased holdings. For example right now you can't revoke holy order holdings even from hostile religions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mister Olympus posted:

You can, it's just the little castle with the X over it in the holding's own menu. I definitely just kicked a couple templars out last night that way.

You also need to directly hold the county, is what might be the issue

Nah, long standing bug report

Happens to holy orders that you've given as well as those you conquered. Nothing shows up in the Domain screen or the holding specific menu. Last I checked the bug tracker its still active. Only happens if they have multiple holdings though, so single barony is fine.

e; testing shows you can use some debug fuckery to give away and reconquer the holdings and it sometimes fixes the revoke button.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 9, 2021

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Serephina posted:

While we're on the topic, what do you all do when conquering a new kingdom that has a different religion and culture? It's usually a shitshow of peasant uprisings for the next hundred years, and that's assuming you've murdered all the vassals who didn't convert. I understand that it's supposed to be a major PITA, foreign occupancy and all that, but there has to be a better way than what I'm doing (which basically boils down to "suffer through it, and demanding 50+ vassals change religion which is its own UI hell").

Have your Chaplain convert culture, if you can afford it have your steward convert the most prosperous counties culture as well. Never bother converting culture of garbage counties, as it just drags down the overall cultural innovation rate, unless you specificly need X number of a region to get a specific unlock.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
As the dejure liege and as you are both the same religion you should be able to arrange to just vassalize them. Do some espionage.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Feudal sucks for Scandanavia because all of your counties are dirt poor and have no development. Thats why tribal your currency is prestige, as its all you've got.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Putting a powerful vassal as your spymaster is often the best choice as long as they don’t hate you. Unlike real players the AI isn’t quite so bloodthirsty, and you can generally trust the +/- to determine what they’re going to choose.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Who needs actual tutorials?

Learn the important things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cySLDzPzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289TqIqDLJQ

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You should always be able to manually swap to any given character in the world at will in the game menu?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Love when me/my children are in a witch coven and I don't even know about it. Get all the events of being discovered that you're a witch while also being the Pope? Nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I still think the court 3D visualization looks awful and they shouldn't have wasted time on it. I want all the flavor text and artifacts and court people and I think that just looks better as a 2D setup.

I want there to be courtiers who could be appointed as ambassadors or hereditary vassal-knights. Would be nice to send send of spares and always have a small core group of 16+ prowess knights so i'm not accidently sending my Kids/Dukes/Kings into battle.