Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am enjoying the game so far but goddamn does the AI's "MUST DESTROY THE PLAYER AT ALL COSTS" directive need to be toned down.

I'm playing England, allied to Asturias, and after being drug into the 18th war in a row with them I was too broke to raise my whole army on the next defensive call. So here we are in two different defensive wars with some Norse nation and Anjou. Being broke I just raised my onagers and a pack of 500 footmen and decided to just go siege some irrelevant province the Norsemen had in the middle of Bavaria and the entirety of both the Anjou and Norse forces completely abandoned Asturias, sailed around as far as they could, marched across half of Europe just to attack my 500 guys (whom I just ran away with). They then went back and right as they were landing on their wargoals again I re-sieged and they both packed back up and did it again.

We won both defensive wars because almost 12k troops, half of which weren't even allied to the person I was attacking, couldn't stand the thought of me, the player, having 550 troops doing a siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had two of them by like 980

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Station Besiegers" splitting off your men-at-arms before your levies is the dumbest thing. Why is that the way it was coded? lmao

Watching Arumba it didn't even leave his onagers

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Things found written on bathroom walls

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Have you guys ever had knights (or champions in this case) just vanish on you with no messages?

I've got 14 champions, and suddenly with no notice at all I've got 7 and my entire council is gone.

e: and fake edit, I reloaded the save half a dozen times and what seems to be happening is my liege conquered mercia and landed all of my champions

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tanistry seems way worse in this anyway. My recollection from CK2 was you voted for an heir and all your poo poo went to him, in this one it's just gavelkind with voting

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Keep in mind alliances can be formed whenever. I attacked a neighbor with 0 allies and even before my army finished marching up the hill to his capital I got "enemy ally has joined the war" with an extra 3200 troops

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reveilled posted:

There is also an event where a vassal can ask you for money and offer you one of his counties in return.

And not even that much money, I got one for like 40g

I guess I can delay that feast for a few months

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you win the crusade you can still play them

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aschlafly posted:

I've married a group of lovely women with claims on the kingdoms of Norway and Sweden and the Byzantine Empire.

However, when I attempt to declare war to press those claims, they simply don't appear in the claims list. The Norwegian girl has a few other claims, which I can press, but the Swedish and Byzantine ladies simply return an empty drop-down menu.

What's going on?

I assume it's the same as ck2 where you can only press a women's claim if the place is in regency

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DrPop posted:

I've lost two long, fun Ironman games to savegame corruption now. Is this happening frequently for anyone else? Is there anything I can do to make it happen less often?

Can just make backups of the save if nothing else

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just that if you've got a backup maybe you can recover something. The cloud backups are just stored in the steam folder so they're as easy to copy as the non-cloud versions

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Cog posted:

Oh god, it's in this game as well.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, and their kids aren't of your dynasty and they have pressable claims on your lands and probably still inherit normally when you die

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on the number of 1 year old bullies, he probably will

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Davincie posted:

ah that would have been nice to known and have massively sped up the game, don't think it tells you anywhere. i did move the rally point constantly though

You can make a ton of rally points too

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I had a daughter betrothed to another character, but somehow in the last few years he got his balls cut off and became a eunich. When she came of age she was stuck in the betrothal, but the marriage also couldn't be accepted. I had to take a huge opinion hit with basically everyone by breaking the betrothal I had no choice but to break.

Yeah, that happens if the groom is in a mercenary company too. It'll happily let you do the engagement, but the wedding is forbidden so you have to break it.

There's a lot of little hidden gotchas in the UI that can be pretty frustrating. Someone on reddit has a picture of them trying to consecrate their bloodline and describing all of the crusades/sacrifices/etc/etc they needed to do to get the piety and holy sites and whatnot, and it's forbidden because they've got the "Content" trait

e: Found the picture

Azhais fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 8, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Castles make more money weirdly, but the general recommendation I've heard is build all the churches if you're planning for the long haul

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

That's why you don't start in a spooky forest

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FileNotFound posted:

This isn't really a Paradox issue - there is no game company that I am aware of that treats their QA with any sort of decency.

There's even another story about call of duty linked

Game tester is a pretty poo poo job with long hours

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Excelzior posted:

note : this one is actually achievement/ironman compatible!

you can modifiy the colors of various ui elements without changing the checksum but that's about it really. pdx will need to loosen those restrictions before any real QoL modding can be made compatible

Yeah, all of the brightening mods are compatible. I use that colorful education traits along with one that just brightens the background on the stats

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222839530

And one that makes all the sundry progress bars way easier to read

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222364460

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I abandoned my inverted gender role game, it was just miserable. The game also doesn't seem to compensate by generating more women either, there were stretches I didn't even have a full council because there were only two drat women in my whole court.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Whorelord posted:

The fact that I can't save preset game rules is really annoying, especially since it was in CK2 and because they reset every time you quit.

I'm really hoping they let you default those in the first patch.

I'd also really like it if you could set game rules in the launcher so each playset/modset could have game rules attached

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The effects of renown + the diplomacy trees seems a little OP. I just finished forming the empire of hispania by force vassalizing one of my Muslim neighbors and he was still +63 afterwards despite the -30 religion is evil and -20 declared war and everything else modifiers.

And he, along with everyone else I could be bothered to check, was at least a +80 to me beforehand too. Random people in the middle of India love me.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Piell posted:

Woops I accidentally named all three of my daughters the same thing. Thanks random name generator

Just name all of your kids George like Mr Forman

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

After my reasonably long-lived king died and I took over as his daughter, I realized my next primary heir was her ridiculous fail-daughter. A ton of bad traits, nothing good, yikes. I signed her up as a knight and hoped that she wouldn't make it through two or three decades of wars, but then I called a hunt and she turned the tables by merking me. Now I'm this terrible queen that everyone hates.

game rules. I wonder if there was a better way to take care of her, maybe by separating her out from my army and sending her to fight an enemy army single-handedly?

I was in a similar situation with my Hispania heir, son 1 was a real shitter, son 2 a paragon of virtue with 27 diplomacy at 30. I tried the whole "get the craven killed in wars" route for a while, then just ate the penalty for disinheriting which is certainly a route you could have taken.

Otherwise I think one of the murder-y trees in intrigue lets you kill your kids, that'd be an option too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
People with hooks on me seem to have a lot of accidents

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, all the positions have a different passive benefit. I know that spymaster gives you +40 natural dread and steward gives an extra +3 gold per month.

Councillor gives you 2 prestige

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have to say so far my favorite crusade was against the lollards that ended up with my daughter being the queen of Italy. Much more likely to hang on to than something on the middle of Muslim territory

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's the current cheese meta. Fabricate a hook on the spymaster, abduct the ruler, right before it triggers declare a war

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Elective is just partition with voting

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Could have just let them win if the guy they wanted was of your dynasty and better :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Question: I own enough of the counties to create a dutchy, but some of the area that it would encompass is inside the realm of a neighbor. If I create the dutchy, do I get a claim on him?

Yes

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The cloud saves are all stored locally in the steam/userdata directory. I don't know if removing them there will cause steam to remove them from the cloud or not

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mercenaries too. My daughter who received half of Italy after a lollards crusade keeps dragging me into wars to take the rest of her de jure territory which includes Rome. Last war the Pope hired 37000 mercs to deal with her 6500 and my 27000 troops

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm not sure I understand the seduction perk tree, or seduction of people that aren't currently your spouse in general. The only two things I can see it doing are:
1) It is funny to sleep with your enemy's spouse
2) You're not getting kids from your spouse and need to legitimize a bastard or two
2a) Maybe someone else has better traits than your spouse and you want those in your dynasty or something?

Am I missing some cool way to turn seduction into renown or title claims?

Lovers can't join factions is the big one I keep hearing. Make everyone bisexual in the game rules and have the most stable kingdom ever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you hold multiple Empire titles?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
My hispania game continues to go better than any game I've had. Random women showed up to court with a claim on Scotland. Quick assassination later it was pressable. One of the newly acquired vassals had a claim on enough of Ireland to form that kingdom and everyone else accepted vassalization. The last of which had a claim on all of Wales so that got absorbed.

The Queen of Scotland then died and her son has a claim on all of France so that's about to get eaten.

Not sure I've ever had a game that kept having things fall into place as cleanly.

That said the fervor system is just bad, it's like 50 years to convert anything. Half the empire is Muslim and insular and sundry heresies.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mrs. Dash posted:

Could you not seduce people in an enemy court to make them easy accomplices in murder schemes and stuff?

Seduce or fabricate hooks or just search for secrets in the court and hope you get someone relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stairmaster posted:

I was playing as a duke in switzerland and i seiged a single province during the crusade and now my daughter is queen of jerusalem how did that happen

Was that single province Jerusalem, it'd be a lot of war score on it's own. That's how I won it in ck2 the first time, my little 400 stack arrived first and I got credit for the whole siege and suddenly the count of Desmond was the king of Jerusalem, which didn't end well