Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TravelLog posted:

Is there a way to raise a specific number of troops? It is driving me mad "raising all levies" then splitting repeatedly and disbanding if I only need like 3K guys (out of 30K) to take an OPM.

Ctrl click will move whatever is there rather than continue waiting for more to show up. I just raise local, get the instant maa pop, then ctrl click to the capital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sankis posted:

The amount of mercs the Pope can hire is prettttty loving ridiculous. I'm in a great holy war against the pope's kingdom (its about half of italy, granted) and they have 20k levies but 40k in mercenaries. This is on top of the HRE also being involved with their own mercs and levies. It has been going on for almost 20 years now. I cannot make much of a dent in them, battles-wise, because they have a blob of anywhere between 90k - 150k sitting in italy waiting for someone to land. AI doesn't seem nearly as affected by starvation, either. Half of their armies have skulls.

edit: lol now Rome is counter-crusading me

Get an elite squad of siege units that can take down the capital super fast and have them waiting in boats. Meanwhile have another army someplace else to lure away the doomstack. Sack Rome, retreat to boats (or stand down your maa if the enemy army is far enough away since you can re-summon them instantly and refresh their supplies)

If you capture the Pope, congrats you've won the war. If not they'll retake Rome soon enough. Rinse and repeat.

Granted, I don't know if the game actually lets you keep rolling the dice on king captures that way.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Who is Debbie Lane

John Galt's sister

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Weasling Weasel posted:

I bounced off CK2 pretty hard as I don't really enjoy sandbox games where it gives you no instruction or overall goal other than one's you set yourself. Does the game with anything that can be reasonably considered a campaign at all, or is it all entirely sandboxy?

The only "Campaigns" in ck2 or ck3 are basically just achievement hunting, which is also just a goal you set yourself. But there's lots of things that you're unlikely to do by accident. So it's up to you if deciding that you're going to form Portugal as Nuno II Vimaranes is a campaign or not.

But if you didn't like ck2, ck3 is just ck2 with fewer satan worshippers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

LordMune posted:

Get yourself some really stupidly long 1.1 patch notes

Lotta good changes in there

quote:

- Slashed the opinion modifier from Diplomacy by half
- Giving away a holding of the wrong type as an ambitious or greedy character will no longer incur stress
- Outbreaks of heresy now increase the Fervor of the affected Faith much more positively. This means that large faiths are more likely to bounce back to max Fervor after a Heresy outbreak.
- It is now practically impossible to abduct someone you're at war with, with a lesser penalty to their vassals/courtiers
- Outnumbering the enemy now further increases the survivability of your knights
- Rebalanced debt so that it now comes in levels. The higher the level, the harsher the penalties. Penalties include levy reductions, to make severely indebted realms collapse easier
- Vastly empowered the Mongol Empire's armies. Now you will truly learn to fear the horsemen of the steppe!
- The AI is now much more likely to request money from their Head of Faith, especially if their HoF is very rich
- The holder of Jerusalem is now unlikely to accept Populist demands
- Viking vassals are now more restricted when it comes to overseas conquests
- Added more restrictions to the check for if characters are willing to cheat on their partners
- The AI should now be more inclined to build Castle holding upgrades

There's the killing of the "own everything" strat

quote:

- The maximum penalty for being over your domain limit is now -100% taxes/levies, increased from -90%.
- If you vastly exceed your Domain Limit for more than one year (the grace period for new inheritances/conquests), all buildings will deactivate until your domain limit is lowered.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
- People are now less eager to marry people they are terrified off
- People that are terrified of you are now more likely to agree to marriage, as long as they don't have to marry you

Better watch that dread if you're unmarried

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Elias_Maluco posted:

Alright, I guess I was wrong

Still seems a kinda weird to me, they are mostly the same game

I suspect a lot of it is the lack of DLC. I've already played more CK3 than CK2 just because there was so much going on in CK2

Coming in on the ground floor has helped my enjoyment quite a bit.

vvvv That's fair too, the new characters are great

Azhais fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 28, 2020

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

It's hidden away in the patch notes, but they're fixing weight loss.

I wasn't sure if that note meant they were fixing weight loss, or fixing being malnourished and fat

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jedit posted:

Universities that provide an education?

They do?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PittTheElder posted:

e: awwww I just realized this patch wasn't actually live.

Tomorrow sometime

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Raise local + ctrl move and you'll only have your maa, it's not that complicated

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ice Fist posted:

No, it's not. But it is poorly documented and badly explained. I didn't play CK2, so I have no idea about any of these shortcuts. Also the existence of this doesn't make army management any less awful.

It's not a thing in ck2 afaik, it was just one of the loading screen tips I think

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It wouldn't shock me if it's a side effect of the fervor fiddling. Don't you need a certain level of fervor to reform?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrainMeats posted:

Held off on going feudal until the patch and really pleased with the random buildings I got. Heroes all the way down.

I missed that in the patch, do they not hang tribes out to dry anymore?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ice Fist posted:

So some of the vassal mechanics boggle my mind. Why don't vassals defend their own lands when they are in danger of losing them to someone else? I mean, I get that their liege is supposed to defend them. That's kind of the point of the feudal system. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they wouldn't raise their personal armies and defend their stuff when the alternative is losing them. I mean, when I'm a vassal although I'm not officially in my liege's wars I'm still able to participate in the conflict because the invading armies are considered hostile and if the outcome of one of my liege's wars is going to negatively impact me I'm sending in the troops.

Yeah, it's just weird. I was attacking Sweden and they decided to take their army, go to sea, sail around the planet, and attack Mali.

My vassal king of Mali owned basically the whole of the dejure Mali empire lands with like 8k levies but just let this 2k stack siege his capital and capture his whole family.

Great work dude :thumbsup:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now we just need someone to mod in the sexual tyrannosaurus trait

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I'm not sure if this would actually make me feel safer

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s a use case for ultimogeniture? Why is that appealing?

Marry someone too old for kids, seduce all the ladies to produce zounds bastards, pick the nicest one and legitimize it. If a newer, shinier bastard shows up later, legitimize that one instead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If the pope is unlanded and you own Rome, there's a decision to restore the papacy, and he'll show up as your vassal, which is nice

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Daktar posted:

Does the Pope just disappear if Catholicism collapses too much? There's a handful of Catholic counties in my game and no rulers following it as far as I know, and in the religions menu it doesn't have a head of faith any more.

He disappears if he has no land, so unless one of those countries is Rome, he'll vanish

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AnEdgelord posted:

Bringing artifacts back is such a slam dunk that I expect we are gonna get it in the first couple dlcs

I miss my +2 axe

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

I leave them be because they’re appointed by the man appointed by god

So they're basically

https://youtu.be/MKZSqd5Y8nA

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

megane posted:

Ah yes, avoiding incest by cheating on your aunt-sister-wife.

Don't be silly, you do the incest then do plots after you get the achievement to rewrite history

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Venice became rich as gently caress after the expansion which let you hire approximately all of the mercs, so it wasa decent swing even before the huge retinues the family palaces let you get

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chaosapiant posted:

it speed up/sow down for everyone?

This. You kinda need to decide on a speed, and anyone can pause

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That chastity belt probably didn't help

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're just trying to ease yourself into it one of the three castille kings tends to be a pretty chill way to empire

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I use gvim like God intended

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

alcaras posted:

Ok, so I just swapped to Feudal. It's about 990 AD.

How do I make money? I was swimming in cash as a Tribal and now I am not.

Going to war just drains my coffers -- had a failed Holy War against Hungary and am now 4500 gold in debt, for example.

Usually I have the opposite problem. Tons of troops and no money as tribals and lots of money and no troops as feudal

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Blot literally means "blood sacrifice"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's a secret thread only for highlanders

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

10k hours. There are jokes about 1000s of hours across several paradox titles and then there is 10k hours in just CK2.

Still, he's no Florry

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198079929951/recommended/236850

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

verbal enema posted:

what game from paradox has Attila The Hun?

I don't think any do, he predates crusader kings, his kids didn't do a hell of a lot, and there's no real genealogy to speak of to trace him. He's also later than the timeline of imperium universalis so I don't think there's a modded version either

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Royal Court: Don't make eye contact

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3DEyn3Wiag

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

(not mine, just thought it was funny)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

binge crotching posted:

The combo together is a guaranteed heart attack by 30.

If only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Best strategy for raiding is making sure you've got a siege commander. Even if their other stats are not great. Being able to swoop in and finish a raid before the armies can get properly raised is a huge bonus no matter where you go.

That said, definitely start by raiding the poo poo out of Ireland before they start consolidating, they tend to be weak with lots of churches.