Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The last time I played Crusader Kings was six years ago, according to Steam, so I'm eager to jump back in with this new one since it'll be on Gamepass.

I've watched all those tutorial videos which has helped with the hype. Do they still write out those heavy duty manuals/strategy guides or is it all wikis now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The last time I remember reading about a game running into classification trouble in Australia was Fallout 3 having a morphine consumable that gave a positive effect, specifically having the drug give you a buff was considered censor-worthy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Any good streams?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah aren't paradox save files just very big text documents, seems like it would be trivial to use them on the Steam version when I inevitably get it when the expansion comes out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So what's the sick overpowered religion tenet set I should reform to

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So does raiding your ally/friend's holdings not affect your relationship with them?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did the Hausa matriarchy start and I've ended up with a hoard of prestige but no money...

I am waiting for enough gold to come in to form the Kingdom title. I guess I'll keep raiding?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

- As tribal you pay for your men at arms with prestige, your levies with money and you will be short on both. Raiding conveniently gets you both money and prestige.

Oh, I uh... Did not know this (looks at huge pile of prestige)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The only UI thing that's regularly bothering me is the unfurling scroll at the top center of the screen, and which you can't click off, covers up the action items

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sway, Seduce, and Befriend all stack, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Continually distracted doing work today because I keep on thinking about avenues of expansion and how I'm gonna handle succession :allears:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Are you not able to negotiate separate peaces if you're a junior member of a war?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

omg Shyness is the worst

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there any real benefit to being at Absolute Tribal Authority if you aren't able to immediately go Feudal?

The vassal penalty is like the only real thing that actually changes, and for the worse?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So the Raise All Armies button will include levies that I am owed from my vassals, right? They just muster into the blob without any extra step?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

luxury handset posted:

yep, this is way loving better than it was in ck2

if you click specific counties while in military tab i think you can raise just particular levies

Oh cool! And is there not a penalty for levying from a vassal too often then, or maybe that is something specific to tribal?

I'm on my heir from the Daura game I started and it seems kind of precarious having what nominally looks like a big kingdom but I only have a duchy and one of its counties under my control lol while all my vassals are only barely tolerating the situation and I can't improve it too much as a Shy Grey Eminence (ugh).

With this men-at-arms system it looks like I will have a minimum 1200 troops no matter what though? Still feel like I have a beefy enough army to keep expanding

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh so to reform the faith I not only need the piety but also to hold 3 Holy Sites?

Still have a lot of expanding to do, then...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

so it's still own personally or vassalize and not just rulers of your faith?

Bori rulers hold 4 out of 5 holy sites but the reform is blocked by saying "You don't hold 3 sites" so I think it must be the former?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

On the bright side having a Shy Grey Eminence is kind of balancing out, I can do the Befriend scheme and the chances of getting positive events to lower stress are pretty good :unsmith:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol drat, I guess I should smash that Call Allies button faster if there are no significant penalties beyond spending Prestige.

I declared war on a neighbor for a duchy containing a holy site and I could have called my brother-in-law in on the war. But I didn't do it so he declared his own separate war for the county with the holy site and now our armies are attacking the same enemy but we're considered hostile to each other :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I definitely control three holy sites now.

The problem is that I am 66 and still nowhere near going feudal because I'm still missing a bunch of the innovations. I'm also not near the empire threshold and I used up my once-in-a-lifetime invasion on Kanem so going after Darfur won't be quick at all. This is probably going to blow up in a really entertaining way very soon lol, maybe I will be able to squeak in Reforming the faith in this lifetime though, need more piety or to get to the -50% perk soon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well, I learned that the "Subjugate" casus belli works against kings too.

Now I just need 230 gold before I kick the bucket :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

reformed and feudalised my massive pan african empire of 100,000 levies and then died and shattered into 4 empires each with about 5000 men and we're all getting conquered by the muslims oh nooooooooo

Scared of this message probably from me in the future :ohdear:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But yeah for my personal education, what's the difference between the "Invade Kingdom" CB that says it's once in a lifetime versus the Subjugate CB which I was able to use against a king?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Corbeau posted:

Partition succession owns, the stress mechanics own. Playing different rulers feels so much more distinct compared to CK2.

lol even though the Empire of Kanem-Bornu is bigger than ever the paper map is a complete farce. I was able to reform the religion before my ruler died, but I did not think it through that it meant that only part of the empire would convert while huge chunks of it would stay with the old, now hostile faith.

My heir was a real piece of poo poo, he was also a Shy Grey Eminence but throw the "wrong religion" penalties everywhere, also he was Paranoid and Greedy on top of it. When the succession happened he was already at war with a rebellious count and his son died in a siege on day one, which was a great start. Also I checked the decision page and one of the new ones was "Attempt Suicide." The first thing on the checklist was selecting a Court Physician, I picked the most expensive option and then I also made her my concubine. Then uh apparently my other children were also super ill for some reason and when I did the safe treatment the first one got mutilated, and when I didn't punish the physician for that the next one died :stare:

All the recent conquests were angry as hell and quickly steamrolled towards an independence war, luckily what could have been 2/3 of the empire fighting against me became 1/3 of the empire because my spouse was able to get a Blackmail secret on one of the warleaders and force them out. I won the war easily enough and revoked titles... which I couldn't give away to the other half of my Angry Vassals because Greedy would cause severe mental breaks lol.

Meanwhile because of all the dead kids my heir was now a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old granddaughter. I was thinking, OK this will be a caretaker reign, just slowly build up the diplomacy to get everyone squared away, then maybe I can focus on learning to get the innovation requirement for feudalism out of the way. Unfortunately I took Ill... and then whoops I never fired that court physician. She leveled up after the other kid died so maybe the safe treatment will actually be fine --

I am now playing as a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old

:stoked:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Even with all of these terrible traits (and some of them helping) this teenager has a high enough intrigue, maybe i guess this is the reign where I practice stabbing?

The problem I suppose is that I am not sure how to translate stabbing into stability, internal domestic tranquility is probably what I need right now.

I guess blackmail really helped me out in the last independence war, maybe that's the way

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If I understand correctly, vassals that are not your allies will let you raise the percentage of levies they owe you but they will not join a war and fight with their own troops, you have to explicitly be allies for that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh god this heir is of the old faith, how did this happen, and I can't convert until I come of age and also get 200 more piety

Religion fuckin sucks

I have no tools to defuse all the growing factions against me, i am counting down the days until my birthday lol

Edit: It's not like I can plot anything when my spymaster is at -100, this kid is gonna get got, literally the only person in the entire court with a positive attitude is my mother

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 5, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: It's not like I can plot anything when my spymaster is at -100, this kid is gonna get got, literally the only person in the entire court with a positive attitude is my mother

You gotta be kidding me, I just got an event that either makes my mother the target of my spymaster, makes my mother's opinion of me tank, or I get 140 stress

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

so welcome to realm divide, population: me

exhibit a

exhibit b

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like you just gotta roll with the punches and let the story develop.

Right now after losing the Empress title in the war, and then losing another war where the usurper demanded I convert (thanks old man I was trying to do that anyway), I am now biding my time in a Hamlet/Batman scenario where I'm waiting for the timer on the murder plot cooldown to expire (because it terminated the previous plot when i lost the Empress title but I guess it still counts towards attempts?) while gaining perks to boost the poo poo out of that while also compromising everyone in his court.

I actually don't know what the plan is after I murder him but that's for future me to deal with

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I murdered the usurper.

Now I don't know what to do, it doesn't actually put me closer to the throne, I suppose I helped shatter the realm further because of partitioning but no one likes me and would support my claim. And while I was scheming it looks like the emperor managed to push up against both the Byzantines and Egypt, which look large and hostile, with a potentially weak emperor who knows what will happen?

Is this what they meant about games teaching us about the cycle of violence :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 5, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes, vassals can war with each other so long as they're both under the same liege. Having high crown authority means they can't do that anymore. As their ruler you probably want to keep a general eye on it because if a vassal gets too big they may decide that they would make a better king. If you see a war happening and really don't wan't the aggressor to win, you can demand that they end the war and if they agree it ends in a white peace (you can also demand that the defender surrenders if you do want the aggressor to win).

Yeah my kingdom looks completely pockmarked as my vassals are all sniping at each other and I saw that I couldn't intervene militarily except against peasants.

Meanwhile the emperor is fighting both a claimant war from the eastern side of the empire and a subjugation war from the Ghanaian empire to my west. I have an independence faction brewing ready to pull the trigger when it can do the most damage, as it really does look like my best bet is to blow everything and basically start over with my one (well, I formed Yorubaland so two now) kingdom(s)

Also the intrigue events are a lot more fun. There's one that's basically going through medieval Twitter. And then I got "To Put on an Act" which gave me a personality test that I totally bombed lol, I have no idea what the right answers would be

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AStrangeDuelist posted:

This mechanic confuses me, what is it and what is it doing?

The first screenshot shows the paper map view of the empire (in teal), which I nominally controlled at the time of succession. However because of partition I only had the capital county and the duchy and kingdom titles it belongs to.

So enough vassals hated me to back another claimant and you can see in the second screenshot my territory (and loyal vassal territory) in teal versus everyone else who backed the other claim. You can see the outline of the empire title in white

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jaytan posted:

5. As a large realm (empire sized) army management is a disaster. The AI wants to drop a surprise stack on my capital so every time I go to war I would raise an army at the spot I wanted most of my troops reinforce a small number of levies then have to "split army" move everything but one small group of levies over and disband the original army. Is there a way to say "STOP REINFORCING AND START MARCHING"?

Yes if you hover over a gathering army it says "Hold Ctrl + Click to stop gathering and move"

Omnicarus posted:

On another note though, Military Academies + Gallant perk on knight effectiveness let's you field some Greek Epic level champions. You can get up to 200% effectiveness with those and a few other lucky perks and the power level does not seem to be a linear increase at all. My 9 champions frequently kill or maim all the opposing knights without much of a fuss and inflict absurd losses on levies.

Wow... we finally have the Dynasty Warriors paradox game we've been waiting for

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of dynasty warriors, the Dynasty Legacy screen is giving me true analysis paralysis because it takes so long to unlock. I blew a bunch of renown during my claimant war in the hopes it could provide an advantage... still don't know what to focus on going forward

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol I started the independence war and I am not sure how to build up warscore when my liege's armies are getting ganked by his other two enemies, meanwhile since I'm technically still part of the empire I'm getting sieged by the western foreign invader

edit: this is that math.gif but in map form

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 5, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol at all these weird intersecting wargoals leading to complete chaos on the field

Is there an event ledger, because I want to look at what happened in the 5 days where one of my independence war allies died, so their army instantly flipped to being hostile and we fought, and then the successor joined the independence war so we all turned around and started working together again to siege the same province

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there possibly a trigger that's bugged, I've been stuck at this state for a year now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent

I have to remember that Kanem-Bornu is mostly worthless desert on this map and my richer territories mean we're almost on equal footing, his military score is being propped up by distant alliances

Traxis posted:

I'm pretty sure schemes that have been exposed can't fire

Oh that seems stupid, why does it still continue to progress after exposure with lowered success chance?