Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I want to make a messed-up Christian sect, something with like female priests and human sacrifice or the like. A real backwoods cult/"something has gone seriously wrong here" vibe. Where would be a good place to start in to pull this off so I won't get immediately stomped? I'm thinking Ireland 1066 or the above-mentioned Corsican count.

Doesn't necessarily have to be Christians I suppose but that would be more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yet another thing they need to bring back is secret religions/false conversions. Start your own polyamourous incestuous cult, then get holy war-ed when you fail a recruitment and someone goes running to the pope to tattle on you.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Someone give me the highlights of picking guardians for my kids. I keep getting a "despite not showing an aptitude for ..." message when they turn 16 and I'm not sure if I'm getting it because of or in spite of my choices.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thanks for the overview. Now, an unrelated question: when making a custom character are you not able to customize your new dynasty's heraldry and motto or did I miss a button somewhere?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah but there isn't any way to customize it, right? Not like CK2 where you could choose every detail.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I just want to make a powerful, noble dynasty that will go down in history for their cunning and acumen whose crest is emblazoned with the motto "Lords of Butts." I am very immature.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

There's no rule that says you have to play all the way to the end date. When you've accomplished everything you wanted to with that start and you're bogging down, just start something different, maybe set yourself a different goal. I mean, check this out:

I've never once finished a game. Hell I don't think I ever played more than four or five generations (although that's mostly because I would get busy for a week and then come back and go "I don't remember what was going on in this playthrough, I'll just start a new one).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Or the even easier way, just send all your children off to foreign courts to be raised there. They always accept taking a ward and nothing bad ever happens to the kids.

Yet another thing that should be changed in future patches/DLC. I would also like to see taking children or close relatives as hostages in treaties added as a game mechanic, too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Norse Zoroastrians in Burma? This game ... :allears:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I found that playing as a count was a good way to break the whole "map painting" bug, myself. It forces you to pick small, local goals that could require decades or generations to pan out. And you've got plenty of time, there's no hard "win" condition for the game besides what you yourself want to accomplish.

I started a game as the count of Bordeaux and recommend it. You've got two counties with higher-than-average-for-the-area development which gives you a cash advantage to pull off some shenanigans, your dynasty is already established in the Barcelona duchy which makes for some future expansion options, and the Occitan culture is concentrated enough that it's not too hard to become the culture head. Plus, Occitan culture gets you access to High Partition and Equal Gender laws right from the start.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So here's something kind of neat I discovered while checking out all of the cadet houses that had splintered off from my dynasty. Usually when one is made I assume the motto is randomly picked from a pre-set list, but occasionally one will be dynamically generated.

I don't remember offhand how exactly this guy died but I do remember it being pretty unremarkable, but gotta respect the commitment to forcing his decedents to remember him.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Yo mamma's such a ho, your family is the undisputed rulers of Europe, wait no not the dungeon ...!"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

After a century or so at high crown authority it's actually kind of fun to take it down a step and watch all your vassals immediately tear into each other over claims and territorial disputes that they haven't been able to do anything about up until now. As long as one of them doesn't start coming out on top, aka exactly what I did to get in this position in the first place, I think I'll let them go at it for a decade or so then tell the kids to settle down again.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs0zhMCul5Q

When I first used the Ruler Designer I knew something like this was coming.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Game of the Decade

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Some of it is maybe playstyle and how willing you are to fight a civil war. I've had two child rulers in my current playthrough; the first immediately faced a Liberty faction that was at 105% my military strength. Yeah, I probably could have beaten it by cheesing the AI but I didn't feel like it so I let them knock down authority from 3 to 2. There were some wonky duchies anyway that I was hoping they could fight it out over (instead a bunch of duchies got consolidated via claims they had been stockpiling but that's a problem for future me).

Two or three generations later and the grandson of a kingdom I usurped got most of the realm to back his claim on said kingdom. Again, if I had fought it out I probably could have won, but whatever, I'll reconquer it when I'm an adult and more financially stable.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hizawk posted:

It seems when I goto war it's mostly just whack a mole, chasing various armies around or laying siege on their claim while they lay siege to mine.

That's a feature, not a bug. Crusader Kings is a medieval politics simulator, not a combat simulator.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bring back message settings!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Racism and toxic masculinity go hand in hand, and poetry isn't "manly." That's it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Everyone starts at least one game thinking they're going to be the good guy, but then you find yourself in a situation where the only thing standing between you and your goal is one easily murderable baby. That's when you learn who you really are.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

verbal enema posted:

but then i would have left our ancestral home :c

Counterpoint: I've never done a Viking run, nor have I ever done a North Africa run, so why not combine the two? Now I also can't wait to get done with work so I can raid it up.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

verbal enema posted:

yeah how does that go? Just varengian adventure the ivory coast?

I've only done a test run but that's pretty much the plan, except I was looking for at Fes. Problem is North Africa is just outside of range so it requires a layover in Wales or Ireland first.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Get in, girls, we're going raiding.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also weren't the Viking invasions pretty significant historical events in western European history? Maybe not exactly on par with the Norman invasion but pretty close. I wouldn't be surprised if the future flavor packs "enhance" other such significant things, like the Mongol invasion or the Reconquista. And I hope they do ones outside western Europe too because I should be able to list more.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kris xK posted:

While Viccy3 was the highlight of today,

wait, WHAT

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

This game can make some incredible emergent stories.

My shieldmaiden daughter became a berserker by ripping the head off of the same guy who killed her older brother who she was friends with as a child.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yes, but as stated it's real inconsistent, and there's also no way to have your vassals come do military service for you. Which you know, was kind of emblematic of western feudalism.

Fighting wars together should also be one of the major activities of the game that sees you interacting both with your vassals, and other vassals in the realm, developing friendships and rivalries.

This is going to sound flippant and dismissive of your concerns and I really don't mean it that way because you've raised some interesting points that I never would have thought about otherwise, but it sounds like you'd much rather play a D&D campaign based around politicking than a simulation video game.

e: to which I would say hey, me too

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 8, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Do it the old-fashioned way, i.e. fabricate a claim on their land and press it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I haven't had a chance to read the DD, did they give an ETA for the patch/expansion?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So far the most entertaining games I've had have been the ones where I start as a custom one-province count. I give myself some small advantage, starting in a high-development county or making a high stewardship ruler, build tall, and then just see where I can end up, grabbing whatever opportunities present themselves.

Current game I started near Bavaria and have been having a lot of luck with the forced vassalization cassus belli on the diplo tree because so far every game I've played has had central Europe just completely explode. It's a lot of fun being the only island of stability in a sea of chaos and wars.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When you start as a count you gotta play the long game. Sometimes that means waiting a generation or two (or four) for opportunities to present themselves. Like neighbors breaking up on succession, or your liege or liege's liege collapsing into a death spiral of revolts.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

It seems like it's not as easy to get marriages with this start as it was in CK2. William said yes to one of my brothers or uncles marrying a daughter of his, but a bunch of Dukes said no their daughter marrying my heir.

I definitely noticed that as well. No more rolling a high-intrigue count, matri-marrying your daughter to the second son of the King of France, and stabbing your way to early upward social mobility.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

With the new and improved portraits in CK3 your court jester had better get a funny costume.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Cool, I have a handle on this. I'm at like 7/4 held territories so I want to divy as much up now and get things sorted.

This is a fool's errand and exactly what confederate partition is designed to prevent you from doing.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm still really confused on how to approach this game. First, it seems like Crusader Kings is a lot slower than other grand strategy games like Civ V or the Total War games. In those games, I raise troops and go siege a neighboring province or extract resources. Boom, done. Tangible progress.

The games I'm playing most these days are this and Rimworld. Rimworld bills itself as a "story generator" more so than a game, but I think that applies more to CK3 than to Rimworld. It's much more about seeing what shenanigans you and your family can get up to than painting the map.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Weren't armored cav extremely powerful on the battlefield in real-life history at this point?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Make Men At Arms permanently raised like whatever the equivalent in CK2 was. Maybe make it so that they're cheaper to maintain when they're stationary and/or are in a province with a barracks.

e: heck make it so that you can garrison MaA in castles and fortifications to make maintenance cheaper and then they can also tamp down rebellions in the area. It would also add an element of espionage and strategy, "oh hell my neighbor is moving all his MaA to the border."

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 14, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Don't republics call the king-level title "serene doge?"

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do I futz with this succession?

Moon Slayer posted:

This is a fool's errand and exactly what confederate partition is designed to prevent you from doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

I'm sure it was this. The guy has 28 Intrigue and I noticed at the end he joined the faction and my new ruler popularity with him was like negative 50 or 80 lmao.

Yeah making that dude your spymaster was just a slightly more complicated version of the "comit suicide" decision.