Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the game is extremely cool and as is tradition, i am extremely bad at it. the AI seems more aggressive than I'm used to from CK2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

So I'm sure I'm missing something basic, or if not that it's been asked a thousand times already but how do I pick anyone other than the 'interesting characters' to play from the start screen? I want my random dukes, goddamit

towards the bottom left, there should be a button that says Play As Any Ruler in 1066 or whatever, and it'll open up the full map to you

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the event chain you get where you attempt to give a rousing speech to your fellas before/during a war is brutal. now of course I don't have to choose the option to dive into the melee after my speech pisses everyone off, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the family imo. I've lost two characters and gotten wounded every other time I did that

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Gort posted:

Anyone know how to see when a truce you have is due to end?

go to your character profile and look towards the right side, there's a Diplomacy section. hover over whichever crest has the truce flag and it'll give you the deets

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So if I want to start from a smallish place where I won't have to go to war immediately, is there a start you recommend? I want to master the mechanics before it's all war all the time.

I've tried a couple different starting points just to see how things are - Ireland, Spain, Poland - and so far, it has been all war all the time. AI seems a lot more willing to be aggressive than in past games

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ElTacoGato posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but can't figure out what.

How do I set my councilors out doing tasks? I got it to work for my bishop by clicking on the Fabricate Claim button on his picture in the council page and then clicking the place I want him to work on getting the claim on and it popped up a thing on the bottom of how much time he has left working on that. But when I tried the same on the others - for example, the steward for collecting taxes or the marshal for organizing levies - nothing seems to happen.

some of the options will require you to set a county, and some are just generalized and your councilor doesn't need to be assigned anywhere to get to work

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Can I change my goverment from Tribal to Feudal, if so how?

go to Decisions (default bind F8, it's the feather & ink icon on the far right) and it should say Adopt Feudal Ways under Major Decisions at or near the bottom. if you click it, it'll tell you the requirements

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

discoukulele posted:

Dumb question - where can you see if a character has any alliances?

in their character profile, under their shield in the Diplomacy section

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i've gotten owned in so many ways, in so many parts of the map. started a run as Urraca of Leon and just as I started getting into the flow of things and making my dastardly spy maneuvers, I got Typhus and died immediately. the only thing I got to do was break off my love affair with King Alfonso!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

boy I tell ya what, nothing stings like your own wife saying "I don't like you that way" when you try to seduce her and add a little spice to your marriage

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I came back to my chambers one night to find a man sexually defiling my silver cross. now a lot of things unfolded after that, but to give you the short of it, now he runs my army

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Hey so here's a challenge for you.
867 start, pick Chieftain Jaromil in what is IRL northern Poland. He's independent but only count-level.

Try not to game over in, like, under 10 years.

I gave it a couple of shots but it's impossible, he's everyone's whipping boy but at the same time the conditions aren't right to swear fealty to anyone either.

this is an awesome starting point. sometimes I am able to take the island of Gotland before one of the bigger powers arounds me declares war and starts pounding my poo poo in. my survival is basically dependent on getting a good, close alliance out of my marriage so it's been a difficult few attempts

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Willfrey posted:

what the gently caress.

My 10-year-old first born son (and potential heir) somehow wound up as ruler of a neighboring kingdom's barony??????

I don't see any family ties, and I've never ruled this part of the map before. My wife was a lowborn so I'm not really sure how this happened? What the gently caress? Did I miss some event? I only noticed because I was about to give him a recently conquered part of Scotlandd and realized he wasn't in my court.

I can't see any avenue to get him back...

just thinking as to how he got out of your realm - did you assign him a ward that was outside of your court?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Gasmask posted:

I always played to avoid them in CK2 but spending some time as a kid is actually quite a bit more fun now. Paradox seem to have added a lot more event types for that part of the game (bullying/being bullied, crushing etc) and it doesn't feel like so much of a pointless waste of time as it used to. I did quite like how important regents could be in CK2, but it really gimped your ability to do certain things when you were regented.

it is a lot more fun to play as a kid, however there's absolutely no reason why I as a 12 year old boy can't manufacture the murder of a nearby rival, wtf Paradox patch that poo poo in

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

TheJanitor posted:

North Korea mode is back and more game breaking than ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCcZq8WxWJs, perhaps doing this will net enough pietry for Hellenism?

I'm most impressed that he only started to notice lag at 1500+ direct holdings

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

can anyone recommend a good starter to learn about playing as a Muslim?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

once my Murder Scheme is known to the potential victim, is the only way to get rid of the Scheme is Exposed modifier to kill the plot and come back in 10 years? I guess I'm just hoping it goes away with time, I can't see what other mechanic there would be to stuff that particular rabbit back in the hat. I know I can get enough plot power with some time to overcome the -75% a bit and roll the dice then, just wondering if there's a different route to take

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 17, 2020

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I am not of especially clear mind at the moment, but this is a riddle that has been wooping my brain's rear end for 15 minutes. please explain to me all of the chains of incest that occurred here. you banged your own mother-sister, who herself was banged by her own brother-father, who is in fact, your father? i tried to map it out in MSPaint to help me visualize it, and boy, I'm gonna just pretend those scribbles and loop-de-loops and interconnected circles just didn't happen

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

This would be the result of banging your mother (yields son of course, and half brother because he shares the same mother as you but not the same father). And requires that your mother is also your aunt (i.e. was your dad's sister).

thanks!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Everyone likes playing a lunatic, but ain't no one want to play through a realistic descent into madness.

most of us can just walk outside if we want to try and metagame our way through the world's descent into madness, why would we wanna do it realistically in a video game too?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Moreau posted:

Is there a way to remove traits? i.e. Shy, Paranoid, Adulterer?

What determines if Consecrate Bloodline shows up? It was appearing earlier, but now its gone... just when I can finally get it.

Working towards Reconquista. Its 1024, there have been 4 crusades... and they have all been spectacular failures. Im considering forming a heresy to represent the loss of faith in the Pope - do I need to be Catholic to earn the Reconquista achievement? Or can I just be a flavour/heresy of Catholicism/Orthodox?

I have had an event trigger where I was able to get rid of the Just trait on my character after I had acted out-of-character against it enough. it was my Count Eudes 867 playthrough where my plan to murder my way into inheriting those extra counties went awry when both of my relatives had 2 kids before I had a single plot fire successfully, and after about 4 or 5 murders, something popped where I could get rid of the Just trait at the cost of a bunch more stress and I think the actual event that Eudes performed to become un-Just cost me a little piety or prestige. so act repeatedly against the Shy trait when you have the option, say a lot of prayers and hope your cripplingly Shy doofus can handle the stress, and good luck I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I haven't played the game since Northern Lords was freshly released, I've read through the info for Royal Court/Fate of Iberia/Friends & Foes to get caught up - but is there anything that's significantly changed in those 6 months~ that didn't get well captured in the patch notes?