Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Demiurge4 posted:

I think they basically constructed a pretty advanced character generator, kind of how like EVE online lets you mess around with your portrait for hours doing tiny little details and it's just used as an afterthought. There's lots of different zones on characters faces that can be completely randomized to get a lot of variety.

let us pray there is a Dark Souls 'random face' you can spam and then slam 'start game' with your freshly created ghoul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Will paradox do Steam preload before the tuesday release? My internet is rear end slow

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dramicus posted:

I don't think they ever have, but luckily their games tend to be relatively light on data, I expect ~5gb, give or take. Probably not more than 10.

hope so. slow rural rear end area is like 15-20 min per gig... an.. eternity.. :negative:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

liveoctopus posted:

Looks like there's a new video out but it'll probably just make you angry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-x6gjz4yUU

Oh boy another WACKY costume!

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's not that wacky and you guys are being weird about a thing these guys were probably paid to do.

It's by far the least RP-ey video that's been done so far.

my bad, hey guys, bad things are good now cuz they were paid to do it

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
we got a goon discord for this poo poo?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
1.8 gb on steam? nice. perfect for my lovely 550kbs internet

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I rolled the debbie dice, got two attractive daughters and a lunatic son :getin:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

any tips? what am I missing? I could never get through the irish king campaign in CK2, either, largely for the same reasons, though this seems to have less "wait around doing nothing and hoping an event with some significance fires" going on

I'm talking out of my rear end because I've not actually done this in CK3, but if you've vanquished the army of that county, return your troops to your territory and have them stand down. Wait a few months (levee's will replenish X amount per month, you can also use your mashal to increase this) until you have enough troops to comfortably siege down that holding. No need to peace out or anything. Keep an eye on what your enemy is up to in case they try to raise an army and march in before you can raise your troops.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Goddammit.

Become King of Ireland, but before I could get the whole island sneaky Scotland snatches up Dublin and Leinster :argh:

Ah well. Tooltip tells me to try fabb'in a claim on Galloway who is similarly sized independent nation so I do so. While the claim is getting fabricated the King of Scotland suggests we ally and I think that is a fine idea.

Like, seconds before I declare war on galloway Scotland has a revolt, Galloway instantly allies with the revolt, England falls to Denmark, Sweden allies with the small Scottish revolt. I declare war anyways, not realizing that Scotland has a truce with Galloway so I'm on my own against Galloway + Sweden + Scot Revolt. Then Ormond revolts against me to try and become part of my "ally" Scotland, and Ormond is allied with Whales. And to cap it all off Scotland decides is a fine loving time to declare war on Denmark (formerly england) and asks me to join that war, I accept needing every body I can get.

So I take care of Galloway, but soon comes the Sweden + Whales + Denmark + Scot Revolt + Irish Revolt pain train. They just all b-line for my counties while Scotland whines that I'm not helping him. He gets a big boost by England revolting against Denmark but by that time I lost all 3 wars.

Came out surprisingly well, just lost some gold and prestige, and one county to my loving ally

I'm loving coming for you, scotland.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
But really the emphasis of the game is not reducing enemy troops to zero. Break the army, siege holdings and enforce your demands > spending forever chasing retreats.

If you have the numbers you can split your army, siege with one and defend/pursue if it is necessary

I guess one advantage to chasing down armies is getting prisoners or wounding commanders

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is bad advice imo. Defeating armies gives lots of war score, and if you let them live, they'll just counter-siege you and cancel out your warscore while also reducing your control over your land. It's better to just kill them outright and then lay siege to their land.

You are right if the armies are large enough to siege your holdings, I guess my answer is in context of Ireland where when unifying the isle most battles are one-and-done

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bad: DebbiesKids.jpg

Good: Shedding clothes may raise attraction enough to circumvent being gay so i can have a kid

edit: if your are curious the option to disrobe presents itself if you are a Lunatic on the event where you buy royal clothes.

edit2: ha! It worked! pregnant! Its mine i swear.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 2, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

begging the pope for money is my go-to strat

Mooching off the pope is a family tradition.

also holy crap, the 'befriend' feels like its going to get nerfed, pretty powerful for stabilizing your realm. Pretty much befriend anybody threatening. Turned my powerful vassal's frown upside down.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

So I am guessing that going for King of Ireland after the tutorial is a good first game? I will see how far I go.

It is, conquering and uniting Ireland can easily be done. However it seems like mainland england/scotland/wales have stronger holdings and it can be a bit harder to push into the bigger island if everything is stable. Also they will happily boat over.

Also, on casus belli

You can fab claims on your own vassals too, and revoke titles without being a tyrant. Downside is that it increases dread, and you have a chance of getting a trait that lowers all vassal opinions, or just one specific vassal.

What wasn't apparent to me was if you do revoke the title and war with your vassal, and win, you'll imprison him and you have to revoke it again when he's behind bars before the county/earldom becomes yours

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
well, being friends with the king of scotland won't prevent him from declaring war on you while you're off on a crusade. Feels bad

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

They really need to find and fix whatever the gently caress is giving AI these absurd deathstacks.The duchess of Lothian has more troops than the entire HRE

Are you looking at everybody's allies before you declare? Because that could be the HRE coming to help....

edit: oh fuckin thank you pope, for that learning 3 archbishop dolt you just gave me

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 2, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

What should I be looking for in marrying off family members then? See if they are related to some land that I may want to press a claim for later?

Just a side note there is a diplomacy/Diplomat lifestyle tech that allows you to make alliances without marriages, its only two deep. (but you may want to grab friendships because they really gotta like you)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

I’m also spending gold on buildings in my cities that provide tax income, is that a good expenditure of resources? I think my problem with CK is I feel like my path to progress is never as clearly delineated as it was in Victoria where I had historical goals rather than personal ones (grab spheres to form Germany, etc) so in CK where the focus is so distinctly on other things I feel a bit wandering

I got to a period where everything around me was pretty stable and I spent all my time consolidating my power. By building and upgrading my holdings over about 20 years I was able to go from 3 gold/month to over 10, and raised my levies from 2000ish to 3800. I will note I also took this time to fabricate claims on my own vassals and take their Earldoms for myself, as well as ensure my son would would be chosen through tanistry by stab stab & getting hooks by uncovering secrets. Tanistry seems much easier when you hold most the earldoms of your kingdom

When my ruler died my son was in a great position to fend off the shitstorm since everybody hates him.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
dunno if this was answered earlier or what, but, is there any way I can just let the AI control my army or merge it with an ally?? I don't feel like micro'ing my small 4000 person army in a crusade so it wont get smashed by a muslim doomstack.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Being Sadistic has really lead to some awesome choices. This game is loving awesome.

So long, rear end in a top hat rival.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Ok so I'm an irish. I attack a neighboring irish who was at war with sweden.

I won, but that brought in sweden as my enemy.

I called all my allies so we outnumbered the Swedes, but my allies sorta wandered around ireland while the swedes sieged down my capital and I lost the war.

Is there any way to direct your allies to do anything at all? They just didn't bother fighting and even crossed into Scotland for no reason.

I've seen this problem a few times crop up on here, I had a few allies I called in that worked good?

Are you calling in allies by clicking the warscore banner and selecting the +allies left of center?

Also, they may outnumber the enemy but troop quality, composition, and terrain plays a bigger roll here than CK2, I learned this trying to attack the welsh while they were camping on a mountain with half the number of my troops, but better quality

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 3, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

BIG HAIRY SCOTTISH

BASTARRRRRDDDSSSSSSSS

I swear to Irish Christ I'm going to have this entire lineage killed and I don't care that it's in the same dynastic tree as me

It has taken me 3 rulers come and gone to be powerful enough to kick that big yellow tumor off my island

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ms Adequate posted:

Men-at-arms, professional troops who fight better and are bought/maintained with prestige, not gold, so smaller realms can often still field a number of them. They replenish pretty fast.

Wait what? Prestiege?! gently caress I though I was buying them with gold. My rulers are routinely dying with 2000+ prestiege :saddowns:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frida Call Me posted:

Tribals buy them with prestige, feudal buys them with gold.

Ok so I am not crazy

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It really behooves you to have alliances. Especially if you have big neighbors. Keep an eye their kids and arrange betrothals and marriages to keep yourself safe.

loving saved my bacon when Scots + Norway tried to get frisky with me and England managed to squash them both

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Frida Call Me posted:

Looks like any titles created as tribal will default to confederate partition, even if your kingdom succession type is tanistry. This is wonky.

I thought Tanistry was only to decide who becomes the next ruler

Partitioning determines how the former ruler's holdings are split among his family?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've kicked scotland off the emerald isle, taken over whales. My daughter is married to the King of England (who keeps dragging me into wars over some godforsaken spit of land in scandinavia)

England is my bro, he conquered Norway and Denmark and always has my back. The scottish-frankish-iberian power block has been tough to crack, but thousands are dying in chipping away at scottish territory.

But man, Scotland just seems to have my number even if I'm winning wars. he just uncovered that my son and heir is the product of my wife cheating on me with the bishop. I've already imprisoned and tortured him, but now I gotta decide if I keep it up with my true bloodline or just stay with the bastard heir who has pretty good stats. My other sons are dolts

Next succession is going to be a rough one, but definitely keeps the game interesting

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The malus for a powerful vassal not having a seat on the council is real frustrating. -40 is brutal.

I keep having factions being created to overthrow me and based on the maluses it's purely on the basis that I can't fit everyone in my five council seats. I've got eight dukes and without fail the three that I can't fit always start a war to install someone else.

it is annoying, but also it gives you a reason to actually have powerful vassals who have lots of holdings rather than giving your titles to twenty pushover dolts in hopes you or your heir can gobble them up if needbe

I often find myself befriending/swaying those unhappy vassals, usually the dullards are easy to sway

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deltasquid posted:

Marry into his family, or you can unlock a perk in the diplomat lifestyle to propose alliances to people even without marriage. However, if your spymaster (or anyone, really) is getting ganked you can offer to join his war via the diplo menu even without any alliance.

To add, it's a pretty good idea to keep an eye on your neighbor's ruler (or power vassals with lots of holding) especially if they are more powerful than you. On my Irish run I kept a close eye on England and kept betrothing my daughters to his sons, and my sons to his daughters. Together we crushed all opposition. Was kinda annoying constantly sending my army out to some godforsaken frozen waste of Sweden to support his wars, but I never felt threatened from the outside either

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You generally don't want any one vassal to be too powerful. Give two of those provinces to two assholes. Give your brother the last county and the dutchy to rule over them.

Your brother might be loyal to the end, but his son or grandson might not be. By stopping him, or at least slowing him down, in gaining all of the counties in his control, he'll be overall weaker when he decides to rebel or join a faction.

My strategy is to find somebody (preferably of my bloodline/succession line) with good stats, and have him be the main dutchy holder, and then place people that do not like me and/or are idiots within the other counties of that dutchy, getting them out of my court

I want dutchy-holding vassals with good stats so I can throw them on the council. Granted its a roll of the dice who will succeed them but generally I feel strong characters have a better chance to yield strong heirs who can serve you as well.

I've really had to break myself of the vassal-management that CK2 taught me

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Easy way:

- Be Zealous
- Take the two pips in Torturer to make executions not cost piety
- Holy war someone, siege down everything to take as many prisoners as possible
- Burn those heathens at the stake

Now that you have 100 Dread, you can just revoke stuff without giving a poo poo about Tyranny, everyone will be too frightened to fight back.

If your character is also a sadist you'll basically have free stress relief as a torturer

Edit: even though it is sinful there were a lot of perks to being a sadist. I killed two rivals on hunting trips

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 5, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Man, going into stewardship trees gives you mad money. In was getting 50 gold a month and upgraded all my castles to the max. Ransoming prisoners routinely bankrupted my rivals.

Kinda annoying that my vassals aren't investing in their holdings.

Also rough that I freshly conquered the Lollard half of Scotland, die, then my paste-eating son takes the reigns it all immediately grenades as Scots and Wales war for independence :argh:

Guess my arbitrary lazy wrothful son is going to rule by dread

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
what the gently caress.

My 10-year-old first born son (and potential heir) somehow wound up as ruler of a neighboring kingdom's barony??????

I don't see any family ties, and I've never ruled this part of the map before. My wife was a lowborn so I'm not really sure how this happened? What the gently caress? Did I miss some event? I only noticed because I was about to give him a recently conquered part of Scotlandd and realized he wasn't in my court.

I can't see any avenue to get him back...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Aye Doc posted:

just thinking as to how he got out of your realm - did you assign him a ward that was outside of your court?

I don't think so? I hope I didn't speed click the wrong option while I was trying to focus his education.

edit (snip.. had filter applied)

Edit edit: gently caress it. My story arc is now conquering northern england to get my child back. I have a very particular set of skills....

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 5, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Did your capital get occupied at any point in the last 10 years? It may be possible that your son was taken prisoner by someone and then was recruited into that character's court.

No, my only thoughts is somebody had a kidnap scheme and vassalized him (doubtful as his liege is like 4 intrigue)

Or I speed clicked something bad, but no idea how he ended up a baron if I warded him off. Dunno how his liege would even be in the running as he was unrelated as far as I could tell. Maybe I warded to a cortiere with good stats that changed courts? I have no idea.

Hardly matters now, when I started warring England to take control of his county he mysterious died :iiam:

Probably for the better, he ended up with lovely stats anyhow

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
OK it just happened again to another one of my sons. Same loving county, same barony, thankfully this time it wasn't my heir but as before he isn't in my court anymore.

BUT i did figure out how it happened I sort of. Under his relationships tab it shows him as a guardian to a guest in said county's court. I never manually assigned a guardian to this son, it just automatically did this poo poo.

What the gently caress? Why did it automatically do this? A guardian runs off with my son to my biggest enemy, and that guy grants him a barony and locks him out of my court? Man gently caress this bitch she's getting a stabbing.

This is super loving annoying because I am divvying up recently conquered scotland to my sons and it keeps robbing them.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Willfrey posted:

OK it just happened again to another one of my sons. Same loving county, same barony, thankfully this time it wasn't my heir but as before he isn't in my court anymore.

BUT i did figure out how it happened I sort of. Under his relationships tab it shows him as a guardian to a guest in said county's court. I never manually assigned a guardian to this son, it just automatically did this poo poo.

What the gently caress? Why did it automatically do this? A guardian runs off with my son to my biggest enemy, and that guy grants him a barony and locks him out of my court? Man gently caress this bitch she's getting a stabbing.

This is super loving annoying because I am divvying up recently conquered scotland to my sons and it keeps robbing them.

Yeah this is buggy as poo poo. It showed him as a traveling guest in my court.

I then assassinated his 'guardian' who was a guest in said court. Now he doesn't show up at all in my court screen.

I then tried to revoke his title (they dynastic option was available) and it hit me with the -50 opinion but he did not relinquish his title. I'm now going to war with the county I'll see how it unfolds....

Edit: Conquored county, son remained as baron, now under my control. All's well that ends well I guess.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 5, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

I have a Peasants Revolt strolling all over my Ireland, shouldn't I be at war with them? Because I'm not. So I married my daughter to the Peasants' leader and now I have an alliance with them but they're still besieging towns and occupying counties and I'm really not sure where this is going.

one of your vassals had a peasant revolt. Look at your vassal's diplomacy to see which one. If you right click the vassal you could join their war, not sure if you can side with the revolt, look for the dude you married your daughter to, right click him and find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Sorry if it's been answered somewhere, but it wasn't when I asked before: can you still see all characters' opinions of another somewhere, because I really can't see it.

Also, why is my ruler's wife just completely nude, what the gently caress? Is it because she's an adulterer?

Adamism. Unless that is some randomly generated religion that seems to keep popping up in my kingdom.

One of the aspects of religion you can have is nudism, so I just get people popping up here and there without clothes. In my game Adamism has nudists, multiple wives, gay rights, legal adultery, etc, but lust is a sin and chastity is a virtue. So just hang out and pray naked, and don't be weird about it, alright?