Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

Have any of the modders for GoT or After the End announced that they're going to switch over to CK3?
the GoT team has officially said they'll be porting to CK3. but it looks like a lot of the old CK2 GoT team has been scattered to the wind. so development needs to be reconstituted. the AtE fan fork is in a five month development hiatus as of last month. the introduction of baronies in both these cases means significant map changes at the very least. but i'm sure there'll be pretty high enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
lmao this is really funny

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Here's another new player question as I learn more about this... I'm trying to understand how dynasty interacts with me the player. Assume you have a powerful lord out in the world with an unmarried heir son. I marry my daughter to him and negotiate matrilineal succession (via a hook probably). Then they have a son. Is my grandchild now the heir to this county? What does this even mean for me?
yes. inheritance is the trickier but more fruitful way of getting huge territory in comparison to fabricating claims or whatever. another, probably more frequent, procedure, is marrying a foreign princess for an alliance and then using the offspring of that princess to gobble up your former alliance partner. female inheritance is a bit trickier and depends somewhat on a kingdom's laws however. inheritance is also always a double edged sword: your marriages are future opportunities but also future vulnerabilities since they also open up claims to your own holdings.

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm starting to think that going full on Lifestyle trees is a trap. There are many one point wonders in every tree, and you can easily get 2 in a 5-6 year period even without education traits:

- Dip into Strategist and grab -50% CB cost and +15% speed.
- Overseer has +15 dread and some extra control as first perk, which is nice and has synergies with other things.
- For example, the Stewardship - Avaricious tree that can get you -50% cost of Men at Arms with high Dread for 3 perks. Golden obligations is a nice source of money if you're a Schemer.
- For a single point in Administrator you get the Claim Throne Casus Belli, which can be useful sometimes.
- The Schemer tree is all around great, but even the first one, Truth is Relative, is very useful.
- Like weeds in a Garden is a +30% fertility, for a single Intrigue point.
- 2 points in Torturer makes the Torture action "free" and a very easy way to get 100 Dread. 6 and you get +15-30% income from most of your vassals.
- Learning trees seem more tail-heavy, Learn on the Job is a big stat increase but requires 7 points, and the other trees are pretty situational.
mix and matching is probably to be preferred, yeah. if you want to focus, though, the stewardship lifestyle is i think close to an all purpose default solution for especially when your character isn't so great. golden obligations from avaricious as said is a huge money-maker. a bunch of administrator focuses are also huge. meritocracy allows you to usurp your ruler. likable, positions of power, and a number of others, do huge work to keep your vassals happy. defense measures in architect, last of all, is a cheap and easy way of slowing down attackers. you can't perform as many clever tricks with these but the base level wealth and stability they provide can be make or break.

Zane fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 3, 2020

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Communist Bear posted:

So what's the best way to deal with Partition? If I matrilineally marry off my youngest sons to bumfuck, fucksville, will this just result in them coming back as the wrong House running my provinces? The other option seems to be disinheriting them?

I'm almost at high succession law so not far off Primogeniture, although people seem to really like Elective Monarchy?
don't matrineally marry your sons. that won't keep them out of inheritance. disinheriting is a possibility. another is to focus your buildings and investment on your capital holding to give your primary heir a leg up.

Lobstertainment posted:

So I just had this happen. Declared war on Scotland as Ireland, defeat their main army and siege a city. Their survivors sail to my capital and besiege it, I sail all the way back and beat them again. Sail back to Scotland, resume my siege, the survivors besiege my capital again! I sail back, beat them again, they sail off somewhere.

So I sail back, again, to Scotland, win the original siege, warscore is +23%, I move to the next province. They besiege my capital again...... So I think screw it, keep going lad. They take my capital, - 100% I lose the war lol.

What could I have done better / differently?.
try chasing enemy armies down after they retreat. if you have enough troops you can detach some for siege and use the rest to follow. the new fort attrition system can hinder this however.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

It appears I've run into a classic medieval problem: my eldest daughter is far more capable than my idiot failson who is heir due to the patriarchy. The piety cost to reform that out of my religion is hefty.

Strategy question: I have an amazing army and could easily landgrab much of northern Russia, but my marshal already has his hands full building control in the lands I've already conquered. Should I war anyway? Or stabilize the realm first?
if you have enough to do it now and won't be taking on many new personal holdings there's not much need to wait. your vassals will centralize the holdings you give to them.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

My steward, who is unmarried, was having an affair with my spymaster, who is unmarried. This apparently is a Secret that gives you a hook on them. I'm not sure why
sex outside of wedlock!! i think?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Qubee posted:

People were saying yesterday that you can revoke titles without incurring tyranny for wars declared that are part of your de jure / fabricated claims. I'm trying to revoke titles of people I've conquered, but it still incurs tyranny?!
what you can do is: 1) acquire claims to your dynasty's titles as the dynasty head (very relevant in your de jure holdings); and/or 2) fabricate the claim with your bishop. maybe there also has to be crime or treason for you to avoid a tyranny hit. i don't quite remember.

Sekenr posted:

One thing I'm always trying to do in CK is to get Alexios Komnin the emperorship in Byzantium and it turned out to be an excersize in frustration. Anyone have tips? I started the faction to get me the BYZ and some people joined and than it feels like you have next to no influence over it. I had the spymaster looking for secrets at random which got me some unlucky dude but thats about it. What can I do to get more people to join? I've seen dudes with -70 opinion of liege who still won't join. The list says there are people with weak hooks who might be persuaded to join but the button says you need a strong hook for that and no option to "persuade" them.
can be persuaded = bribe or sway them.

Softface posted:

How do you revoke multiple titles at once? I just put down a rebellion, have all the leaders in jail, so I have a valid reason to take them. However, it's only good once, and any revoked after that still incur tyranny. Shift + click doesn't work, and some of them are only presented one at a time, making it doubly impossible. The weird thing is, I know I did this just fine last night after a similar rebellion, which is also how I learned to always go for 100% war score on those things no matter how pressed I am.

I suppose I could just leave them in jail, but without loyal Russians who believe the same things my dad made up about 30 years ago it'll just happen again in 10-12 years.
i dunno. i think ck3 has changed the rules to allow for only one tyranny free revocation in the event of crime or treason. that has been my experience.

Zane fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 4, 2020

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think you guys may be mistaken on the education of the guardian mattering. I have had Elusive Shadows educate people into Mastermind Philosophers, tier 3 Learning Sultan has raised sons to 3-4 stars of almost every education type you can think of.

The only thing that seems to actually influence it is matching education trait to their childhood predisposition trait, and luck.
a tier 3 education is generally good for tutoring. i believe one of the initial advice tooltips says that. but yeah the rest is unclear.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Qubee posted:

I mean, not even a single thread for me to follow, even if it would just be them saying what I want to hear. It's basically a pointless button that makes people insane.
one of the intrigue trees gives you a lotta benefits from torturing. at base level it also helps with dread i think.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

My Grandson and heir, through my son who is not married matrilineal, is not of my dynasty. What could cause this?
impossible. you're probably looking at a different grandson.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

Great things.

Also doesn't the game auto create titles to spite you now? (And technically to avoid specifically that cheese strat)
yeah. in my current game i had two de facto kingdoms but only one that was properly formed. on succession my two most senior children each received one kingdom.

Zane fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 4, 2020

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Gentleman Baller posted:

So I thought creating a religion where having a feast is pious would be a good way to make stress a non-mechanic, and give me essentially free opinion with my vassals, and while it did do that almost all of my vassals are now obese.

At least it seems to help the religion spread pretty well I guess.
lmao

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Jaytan posted:

Has anyone found a way to search vassal contracts? I picked up a vassal somewhere in my empire with coinage rights and a mandatory council seat, but I have no idea who it is. Realm size is 106 so I'm not eager to manually check everyone.
the best way, at least with mandatory council seat, seems to be to wait for the vassal in question to use the privilege. they don't exercise it very often but you'll know when you see it. they will be protected from being thrown off for ~10 yrs.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

I'm facing an odd situation where my grandson is the only heir I have and his mother died as a guest in someone else's court. Seems that now I can't interact with my heir at all because he is a guest somewhere else, and also can't invite him back because he is a child, and I can't interact with his education menu or offer guardianship because that must be set by his employer, but no employer is listed. Basically my grandson is growing up feral.
debug_mode can be easily used to invite dudes back to court. i use it liberally in these sorts of circumstances. little reason to feel you're 'cheating.'

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Looking for some advice:

I generally start a game, play for a few hours, and then have a holy war declared on me by a much larger ruler with 5x my military power and get rolled despite calling in reinforcements from allies, using mercenaries, etc. Is this just me not focusing enough on military? I feel like even if I knew this was going to happen and tried to prepare for it from the very beginning I'd be unable to defend or have allies of high enough power. What am I doing wrong?
if you're badly outmatched by a lot of large and hostile enemies get yourself vassalized by a big kingdom. there are almost no downsides. a holy war on you would then be a holy war on that kingdom.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 6, 2020

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

Succession still seems to be broken. I have five sons.

Son 1 (my heir) is inheriting one of my duchies and 1 of my counties.

Son 2 is inheriting 2 duchies and 1 county.

Son 3 is inheriting 3 duchies and no counties(?).

Sons 4 and 5 are both inheriting 2 counties (which belong to my main duchy title)
son 1 is probably also inheriting a kingdom.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I don't understand the 'Above Vassal Limit' thing. It seems bugged or broken. It'll say that I'm 3 above my limit and I'll hand out multiple kingships and transfer all the respective dukes, and transfer a bunch of loose counties to local powers and.... then number never changes. Still 3 above.
i had the same problem. you have to wait a bit? like half a year before it'll update.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I'm pretty sure it either costs more than 75 or the cost goes up each time you do it. Because I did it a couple of times in one of my first runs, and I definitely remember it being more of a trade-off than just losing 75.
yeah. I believe it's 150 for each disinheritance? And you accumulate maybe 500-1000 renown for dynasty upgrades every generation. so it's a trade-off.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It would be kinda neat if you could bribe your way to titles or just purchase them outright. Say, because the holder is broke and indebted and you've got a nice pile of gold if he'll just grant you the title. Conquer the world through commerce.

Reveilled posted:

There is also an event where a vassal can ask you for money and offer you one of his counties in return.
going too far with this would be to sort of misunderstand the whole crux of the setting; and i hope paradox can keep their heads. land isn't owned and commodified by merchants. it's possessed and inherited by strongmen. that's what feudalism is: a system in which power and esteem and meaning is grounded in the orderly control of landed populations; in which authority over these populations is an inherited political status. land wasn't something you could exchange in the marketplace through this period. the purchase title with faith ability is pretty borderline as well.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Some more new player questions:

1. I keep reading about people's partition woes. I'm king of Novogrod and Biarmaland, both of which have swedish sucession. My heir is the top of both of those elections, meaning he ought to be king when I die right? If all my other titles go to my other 14 children(!), who cares I'm still double king right??

2. If I'm in a super patriarchal part of the world with no hope of matrilineal succession, who should I be marrying my many daughters to? Will they form alliances?

I'm 55 and figure I ought to consolidate rather than warring with Minsk and no clear succession plan. I have 1 year old sons and 18 year old grandchildren lol. The same son has beat the poo poo out of like 5 of his siblings' bullies in slightly differing events.

At least half my knights are sodomite berserkers. Must be a correlation there.
1. sounds like you're doing fine

2. ensure that your sons are sufficiently numerous and healthy--ideally have two or three of them--before sending your daughters off for non-matrilineal marriages. non-matrilineal marriages are very appealing for other rulers; they are helpful for forging alliances; but if a non-mat daughter is next in line for your primary succession then your dynasty is in peril. if your sons are shaky i recommend matrilineally marrying your eldest daughters as insurance against your succession. do not expect strong alliances from matrilineal marriages.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

csidle posted:

Can you do anything to end a neverending holy war? There's a holy war for Castille that's been going on for 20 years now and it's at 1 % for the attackers. The two sides just keep trading victories, no one has ever been close to winning. It's keeping me from forming my empire and usurping England and it really sucks 'cause my guy is 64 now and will die soon.
switch your player character to the attacker and surrender. if a religious head called it you might be out of luck.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the lifestyles are fun but the benefits should all be nerfed by like 35% or something imho. getting hooks and plotting should also be more difficult by about the same proportion.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I have maybe the trickiest succession problem I've faced yet. My current heir has great stats, he's intelligent and handsome. BUT! He's shy. I already know his reign will be short, because his grand mother had a nearly 70 year reign so his dad became king when he was 50ish, which means this guy will be nearly 50 when his dad bites the bucket. (As of this moment the king is 65 and his heir is 47). His age plus the stress from being shy means I'll have some quick turnover coming up.

The problem? He has 6 sons. The guy set to be my next heir also has great stats. He's a genuis. BUT! He's also shy. Ugh. I'm paying the price now for not paying much closer attention to my grandkids education. Usually when I have too many sons I just try and manipulate succession so the primary heir inherits the 2-3 counties that I've invested money and time into. This usually means disinheriting *maybe* one guy so that the right duchies and counties fall the way I want. But 6 sons? Holy poo poo. It's going to be a mess.

Is it usually best practice to educate heirs yourself so you have the option to avoid letting them acquire super bad traits like being shy? I'm not just talking about direct heirs either. I mean grandkids that will eventually become king themselves.
shy isn't so terrible. you can compensate without too much trouble. shy and paranoid however is a nightmare.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
you can switch characters real easy in ck3. my house rule is that i'm able to switch to any member of my immediate family.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

scaterry posted:

I'm doing more testing and the results are extremely disappointing. You can vassalize almost all of India without true ruler just by handing out religious protection willy nilly. No need to even change faith. If you form an empire you can even vassalize the other kings (w/ true ruler). Meanwhile you can't vassalize some tiny same-faith tribal count because they don't know what contracts are and you are in slightly different culture groups. This is dumb.
i guess they're playing around with crude anti-blobbing solutions. crude being the operative word.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So I haven't played since launch, but I decided I want to get the game on Steam rather than on Game Pass because it did genuinely click that time. Though of course my glorious (tutorial) conquest on Ireland is no longer available because the version is outdated. I could start off again around there, but are there any other recommendations for a good starting area/lord for a newer player?

Nevermind. Click on new game, and it has recommendations right there next to the ruler.
to follow this up: many of the 'starter' historical characters are often stupidly buffed. you typically can't go wrong with any of them. the viking dude in brittany for example has 1000 custom troops and 40 martial and can easily stomp around britain for the next 30 years.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

wikipedia posted:

The Norman monk Dudo of Saint-Quentin was very critical of Hastein:

This was a man accursed: fierce, mightily cruel, and savage, pestilent, hostile, sombre, truculent, given to outrage, pestilent and untrustworthy, fickle and lawless. Death-dealing, uncouth, fertile in ruses, warmonger general, traitor, fomenter of evil, and double-dyeded dissimulator ... Dudo of St. Quentin's. Gesta Normannorum. Book 1. Chapter 3.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
make sure to get the beta branch. it fixes a big problem with raiding.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

BillBear posted:

How come the AI can raise insane amounts of dudes compared to me? My Russia is loving massive but can only raise 21k with a good and long ruling tsar yet, not even a fully unified england can raise 15k alone, Aquitaine can raise 38(!) and half of Hungry can raise 9k. Is it tied heavily with your martial or something? I have all my contracts on default.
many factors. martial is a big one. personal demesne is another. number of men at arms. level of centralization. vassal opinion modifiers.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the medieval popes loved to gently caress

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
there were powerful landed families that contended for the throne in both china and the byzantine empire. but the bureaucracy in both these countries was also powerful enough to exert its own historical force: enough to keep key state functions from being feudally devolved. in the three kingdoms period in china there was a weird balance in which the wife of the emperor was always from a certain landed family but the emperor himself was routinely sidelined by the eunuchs. there needs basically to be a robust system for modelling the outsized importance of centralized bureaucracies in these countries.

with the byzantines the urban populations of the capital could also be anomalously important because of the survival of still robust urban centers into the middle ages. at least one emperor was deposed by an enormous mass riot touched off by the big chariot races in constantinople.

Zane fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Cmon man no need to be rude. I like these games because of their (pretense) of historical accuracy
the franks, as you imply, typically define the archaic french. the term might be defining a regional identity in this context. but all this is somewhat sketchy: because pre-modern ethnic identity--frankish, french, whatever--was far more heterogeneous than modern ethnic identity, to the point that 'french' may itself be just as contrived for this period. as late as the ~1700s or 1800s there were hundreds of local french dialects that were not always mutually intelligible to each other.

Zane fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 30, 2021