Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

a7m2 posted:

What benefit can seducing someone give that sway doesn't?

Successful seduce/befriend will prevent vassals from joining factions, sway won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

luxury handset posted:

try to get rid of any extra inheritors and land the handful of people you do want to inherit. part of the tension is that as a character you want all of your kids to be set up after you die but as a player you don't want to have a ruler death set you back. also only hold one top level title (one kingdom for multiple duchies, one duchy for multiple counties, etc.) so that you don't have two kingdoms to get handed out

I've also noticed that if you have a top level title with its own succession rules then it is possible to get multiple titles onto the same heir. This feels like a bug but it works. Here for example I have two kingdom level titles but West Francia has its own title succession (male only) so it doesn't count as partition and both get passed down:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Fists Up posted:

Is there a negative to having many kingdom titles like there is with holding too many duchies?

I am currently the Byzantine emperor and all of my vassals are dukes with the exception of my heir who holds one kingdom (figured that's good for prestige growth before I play as them). I have about 3 kingdoms myself i've inherited/acquired through expansion/marriage. I can create about 15 kingdom titles but I'm holding off until it's really necessary and will use those as a bargaining chip for when vassals start rising up or i need to make someone happy.

I figure it's better to just sit on those titles you can create and have dozens of dukes under me. If it all goes belly up I can sit on my personally owned duchys/counties which I've developed the hell out of.

There's no penalty, it's just vassal management since it's easier to keep a handful of vassal kings happy and out of factions than a multitude of counts and dukes.

I did watch a video that points out that as an empire-sized power you are actually better off not having any vassals at all and instead hold every province personally, because the domain limit penalty caps at -90%. A count gives 10% of his income to his duke, the duke gives 10% to his king, the king gives 10% to his emperor -- by the time that gold gets to you there's very little left of it, as opposed to you simply holding everything and taking the 10% income/levy.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Total exclave independence and the HRE do not mix, apparently:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
This video isn't directly related to CK3 but I thought it might make an interesting bit of dynastic scorekeeping -- there is a strictly matrilineal house that has held an astonishing number of kingdom titles in Europe, including such famous monarchs as Louis XIV, Catherine the Great, and Victoria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl4WtajjMks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
It bothers me that you can't build a castle at Coucy when it was historically one of the largest castles in Europe.

The rationale for holding more baronies (especially in the capital) is partition mechanics and avoiding factionalism on succession. Unless you have spare duchy titles to give out, secondary heirs will get a larger share of the county titles, and after they split off the primary heir doesn't get county-level claims automatically. You would have to then spend gold/time to get claims on them one by one (or take a bunch of tyranny) to regain full strength, and in the meantime your vassals will consider you weaker and be more prone to joining factions. Capital baronies never split off and secondary counties can be regained more easily if there are fewer of them.