Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I'm going to do a dumb religion thing I've been thinking about for a few months. I'll probably need to start over a few times.

Christian heresy with St. Peter's cross symbol
gnosticism even though it's mechanically bad
witchcraft yes
gay unions yes
lady priests only
women-first succession maybe
mend the Schism
:killing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Lawman 0 posted:

What are muslim mechanics like?

Their big thing is that most of them have the clan government type. The main distinction from feudalism is that vassal contributions are based more (or entirely?) on opinion. They also get a once-in-a-lifetime kingdom invasion casus belli when a ruler achieves the highest level of fame. From what I've seen, they don't get to skip over partition succession types in this game.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Asehujiko posted:

Before release there was some mention of ancient Egyptian religion being in the game in some form, who actually has it? The Kushites?

It's called Kushitism in the game. There are a few rulers who start with it in the earlier start date in the kingdoms around Nubia.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I did early start Bohemia after repeatedly getting destroyed as early start Cornwall, and it's really hard if you want to stay pagan. I'm at year 950 and finally got enough levies that I don't have to hide under the Bavarian king to keep my utterly relentless neighbors at bay.

I was planning on reforming the Slavic faith, but all the holy sites are really far away, and I just noticed a shiny new Dismantle the Papacy decision that's giving me ideas for other playthroughs. :unsmigghh:

Party In My Diapee posted:

Can you see the history of rulers of a specific title still?

Yeah, click the book on the top right-ish.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Does literally every realm have the stupid partition poo poo as the succession law?

Looks like it outside the Byzantines. Every part of the map is just a reskin of the others.

Czech (edit: and Slovien) culture is unique in that it has a tribal innovation that gives you access to seniority inheritance in any era and at any level of crown authority. It's a realm law, so it isn't finicky like tanistry.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 3, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Kanfy posted:

So from the lack of replies, I'm guessing this is indeed just a bug and I've no choice but to have to try and get enough war score without being able to actually properly occupy my war goal?

Is the unoccupied holding a temple? Whoever owns the county might be holding it if they're Muslim, so you'd have to siege it down, too. Otherwise :shrug:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, I got it again, so I have to ask, again: Has anyone seen the end of the "White Stag/Wolf/random woodland creature" event chain?
Every time I get to the part where it says "It can't be long until I see it again now" or something like that and gives me a 10 year buff called "Focused on the hunt" that gives +1 to Prowess, but then it never resolves.

Edit: The text of the final event I always get is "It will not elude me much longer!".

Looking at the hunting event file, what you're seeing seems normal. You're just increasing your odds of catching it next time in really small increments. If the actual odds are anything like the CK2 version of the event chain, actually completing the event chain will be really rare.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Broken Cog posted:

Aw drat, so I should just keep on doing the hunting decision, then?

I'm not super sure how the event scripting works, but it looks like you end up with a maximum 7% chance to catch it after you've had 5 encounters with the white beast. So after that point, you'll only need to encounter the beast an expected 14 or 15 more times to catch it!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I decided to try forming a Bactrian empire starting with the last landed Zunbil, and I finally have everything! Except the decision requires a feudal government, and you can't switch from clan even if you change your religion. I think I'm annoyed enough to put the game away for a while.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Partition splits things with your grandsons even if you have a living son? WTF

Is that working as designed?

Yes, French-style inheritance treats your children as if they were alive for splitting the realm. I think the game only gives land to the dead child’s primary heir, so it could be worse. Something else to watch out for is that if you have only daughters, a daughter with a son will have priority over daughters with none.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

At war with a superior foe, I sneak by his armies and siege down his capitol, taking his heir hostage while my murder plot against him ticks down. After I kill him, his heir is freed! That's infuriating.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Synnr posted:

Is there a title history page somewhere?

Also, I take it your liege can do religious/cultural conversions on his vassals?
Title history is a little book icon on the top of the title dialog.

I haven't seen culture, but I've had lieges convert my counties.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

The only way to get Outremer culture is to conquer all of Arabia and Syria right?

Yeah, it can only appear after utterly winning the Crusades. Which is super lovely compared to CK2 and an overall weird design decision.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

OctaMurk posted:

No, thats false. You can create outremer culture if you just have Jerusalem. You need all of Arabia etc to form the Outremer Empire, which is different.

Oh, I read the wiki entry wrong. Your liege has to be Outremer OR you have to have the right fame level.

Edit: Looking at the other create-culture decisions, all of them require French people. Disgusting!

No Pants fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 18, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Synnr posted:

It's very frustrating, especially since it's just not consistent afaict. My income tripled once I got it running correctly, but I'm assuming it'll randomly flip like it did before and stop.

Having no control over whether you or your vassals are clan or feudal and no clear rules about how that's determined is the most frustrating thing about playing anywhere near Persia for me.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

strong bird posted:

muslim = clan
everyone else = feudal

create a title and give it to a muslim = clan
' ' ' ' ' ' anyone else = feudal

and then im pretty sure it switches on succession and/or new title creation. thats how you get sicilian ash'ari clan dukes and kings of sicily but can still have muladi counts of corsica

No, those are only the rules if you're handing out titles. There are some Hindu and Buddhist clan rulers around Bactria in 867, revolts against clan rulers will create clan governments even if the separatists are Christian, and some other weird poo poo happens when you mix feudal and clan governments under the same liege. If it's supposed to change on succession, it's not reliably triggering.

In my current game, I've also got a tribal Khazaria with clan vassal castle-holders, all Jewish.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 19, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Are you celibate? That disables regular claim wars in a non-obvious way, not sure about tribal CBs.

Edit: Doesn't look like you are, so :shrug:

No Pants fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 9, 2020

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Beamed posted:

Wait, what?
All I know is when I'm Catholic, I have to start having sex again to press my fabricated claims. Otherwise I end up with a disabled Declare War button with no tooltip.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Reveilled posted:

The hardest thing about dealing with huge peasant revolts is finding the stack that has the leader of the rebellion in it. If you destroy that stack you've got very good odds of capturing the leader which insta-ends the revolt.

The hardest part for me when I have a huge kingdom is finding a peasant army that decided to leave the country for a few months or a year, usually on a fleet of ships. Moving the leader to another army if you defeat their stack would help a lot imo.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

That one's kind of wild because your liege's kingdom is extremely unstable. And then if he dies early, you'll probably get shoved into Kabulistan, which immediately gets wardecced on all sides.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Der Kyhe posted:

EDIT: Also I find the Ukonusko "Praise Perkele" to be funny, it literally means "Praise the Satan" whereas "Praise Ukko" would be "Praise our God". Swedish developers should know the difference. If you hear someone saying PERKELE its basically "for fucks sake", or literally "by the devil". :)

The devs probably leaned on modern scholarship and some guesses for that one. The word comes from the name of the Indo-European thunder deity (cf. Perun and Perkunas), and it might have been the original name of Ukko.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, the Great Pox is ahistorical. Syphilis didn't exist in Europe before the Columbian exchange

It’s disputed enough for Paradox to think they can get away with it, I think. It probably also lets them wave away adding a bunch of similar venereal diseases.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Lucinice posted:

Why do my family members seem to end up in other courts? My newborn sons that are also heirs keep ending up in other counties. Heck my wife is in the HRE for some reason.

I wish I knew why stuff like this keeps happening. Sometimes my spouse starts wandering and takes the kids with them, and it's almost always impossible to get the kids back after that happens.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Best Friends posted:

Second youngest son beats third youngest son beats eldest son beats any grandchild I think. And of the grandchildren, children of the youngest will beat children of older sons.
The eligible children of your youngest eligible child should take precedence over your older children.

If you have the heir designation law, you can only designate one of your immediate children as your heir.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I noticed yesterday that I could link my armies, which I was definitely not interested in doing.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

CharlestheHammer posted:

Being from Sweden wouldn’t make you very familiar with Viking like being from Italy wouldn’t make you very familiar with the Romans:. So no I will not entertain that idea because it’s really dumb

Popular interest in Vikings in Sweden has a lot of baggage left over from its romantic nationalist movements.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Veryslightlymad posted:

As someone who started as Norse and wound up converting culture to Andalusian in my ongoing file, I gotta say, merging cultures sounds pretty good to me. I feel like my characters would have been just a little different from most Andalusians.

I played a few times after the patch that enabled Norse adventuring, and that's kind of my biggest problem with the game right now. I had to decide between staying Norse and switching to a culture that usually had absolutely nothing interesting going on.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Lawman 0 posted:

...How do you become Frankish?

There are some Frankish characters around in 867. The only feudal rulers are the counts of Besançon, Monferrato, and Bologna.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Acute Grill posted:

Is there any way to discourage Scandanavian adventurers attacking you? Every few years some dipshit failson from Sweden or Great Britain lands in my borders with garbage tier troops I have to waste my time and money stomping out when I could be doing something that isn't annoying.

if it's the northmen army, this mod was made to prevent the same target from being selected twice in a row. otherwise, it's just waiting for the tribal era to end.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'd say torturer or whole of body but the latter is just because my player style is to switch rulers/lifestyles constantly. seducer can be useful if you're going to farm prestige from empire tier romances/giant familes and schemer will let you harvest more hooks to raise contracts

Anything that boosts seduction and attractiveness is especially nice starting small in Europe if you're a man-loving woman or man. I go for non-stop seduction of landless himbos in diplomatic range to fill out a stable of 20+ prowess knights and know I'm on the ball when the "too many lovers" event can't keep up with me.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

pidan posted:

Playing a wrathful guy for the first time. Can't imprison my rear end in a top hat vassal brother, but can "punish criminal" him, which the tooltip says will imprison him on a win. So I fight him, and afterwards he's dead? And it says I executed him? Now I'm a kinslayer and everyone likes me slightly less. Thanks, tooltip.
That happened to me, too, and it was pretty shocking after playing so long with all the work they did to make things less surprising.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The two main things that affect that are opinion modifiers and boldness, the latter of which modifies the effectiveness of your dread. The wiki shows which traits affect that.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Mystic gives you another option for treatment.

The Mystic line and Herbalist act as multipliers on the bonus from learning for safe treatment success calculations. Only learning and the Physician line are used for risky treatment AFAIK.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bayonnefrog posted:

Also, what is the consensus on managing vassals that are in prison that have revolted against you? Is it best to revoke titles? leave in jail? or release for ransom. thanks.

I'll revoke if the family has too many titles, alliances, and claims to be manageable, banish if I feel attached to the family, and it's just that ruler's traits being incompatible with my rule, and ransom if I don't really care or need the favor. I used to leave them in jail if they were young-ish and had an heir, but it only takes one jailbreak for me to wish I'd done anything else.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Red_Fred posted:

There is no other way to do this with my current PC right? I can only move the capital once in a lifetime. I'm thinking I'll wait for a faction to rise and then take the option provided it's Italian or Sicilian.

If it helps, you can always move your realm capital to your primary title's capital. You're probably out of luck if you're an emperor already, though.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Freudian slippers posted:

I'm playing as England, and have implemented Saxon elective in the kingdoms of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. So far, so good, most electors will vote for my choice of heir, and he'll inherit all kingdoms as well as all my three duchies and all my 8 counties, the whole lot.

I then founded the empire and now his brothers are picking up counties due to "the realm's partitioning laws".

The empire has Saxon elective, all kingdoms have Saxon elective and the three duchies that are now getting split up have Saxon elective.

Someone please help.

YMMV if they've patched it since I last played with these laws, but the way elective works in CK3, your partition laws start to take effect if you have only one top-level title with an elective succession law. Removing the elective law from your empire will/should give you the inheritance behavior you had before.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I dunno then! I just tested it with multiple sons in a partition-succession empire and feudal elective kingdoms, and the only leaks were duchies/counties outside my kingdom titles' de jure territory. You just have to make sure you're electing the primary heir to the empire title.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

They’re definitely up and leaving for no apparent reason more often after the expansion patch. I usually find them in their fathers’ courts after I notice that I can’t educate my grandchildren.

Edit: My half-assed theory is that they're accepting a court invitation from their dads and then wandering like usual if they aren't given something to do. There isn't a hard restriction on someone else inviting your son's wife if your son doesn't have a job, even if he's your heir.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 19, 2022

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

toasterwarrior posted:

Question: have you guys ever seen your artifacts "level up" after being used in combat? Like, after 50 or so battles, your purple armor gets a Diablo-esque prefix-suffix that adds another modifier? I had it happen during my first run of Royal Court but I'm not seeing it happen in subsequent playthroughs. I had some absurd purple armor that had like 2 prefixes and suffixes before I quit that game.
There's an explanation for how that works on the wiki.

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Artifacts#Improving_artifacts

My first playthrough, I had a dynasty that did so much battling that their first lovely set of armor ended up better than any fresh purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I feel like the artifact claim wars should only be possible for the two highest tiers of artifact. Or maybe gated by highest title so a county holder could go to war over the lower level ones but a king could not.
I haven't been paying enough attention to see if they have been too crazy in my games but it does feel silly to go to war over your great-grandfather's looted poop knife

I was unloading my trash artifacts on a relative in the ERE, and the emperor has been getting rocked by non-stop wars from my realm's incestuous alliance of dukes. I switched to giving them to the king of Sweden thinking that his giant tribal troop count would deter them, but now he's getting attacked, too.