Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So what was going on here?
My brother wasn't voting for himself, even though everyone else (including me) was.
Did the other guy use a hook on him?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

So what was going on here?
My brother wasn't voting for himself, even though everyone else (including me) was.
Did the other guy use a hook on him?

Huh, I guess my brother *really* didn't want to rule. I got the message that I inherited his kingdom, so I thought he died and went to change my vote to my other brother....only to find out that he's still alive and just gave all his titles back to me.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Boo, you could have told me that before I got everything together

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SubNat posted:

Ctrl-click. It even comes up in the tooltip for movement if you're trying to move an army that's gathering.

Nowadays I do a 'rally all troops' then instantly a couple thousand people come, and I just immediately send them marching, then do another rally, let that build up a couple k, then send them out as well.

It makes it a lot easier to both start up a bunch of armies all over the place, and easier to manage how many troops you're leveraging in a war.
No point in raising 20k troops to stomp someone who can only muster 2000, all you're hurting then is your wallet.

If you do this, all your men-at-arms and knights will end up in the first group, while everything else will be 100% levies, so don't try to fight stacks of similiar size with that

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Is there a way to change your primary title?
I have everything set up for the "Dynasty of Many Crowns" decision, but I can't grant the other kings independence because they're my de jure vassals. And destroying your primary title is not allowed.
Guess I'll have to hope they revolt for independence

e: Just lost the title to my sister, who was independent before all this, but I'm still King. Guess I'll just start my own independence faction and hope the other kings join.....once I'm no longer 7 years old, because apparently children aren't allowed to do that.
Seems like regencies aren't a thing anymore, I'm just not allowed to do a bunch of stuff (like using the sway action...murder is still fine though :ese:)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 6, 2020

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

buglord posted:

That happened a few times but even in isolation its still happening. Is the force number what the opposing nation has at the moment, or is it their potential capacity?

This is my first real CK experience so maybe im glossing over some unspoken mechanics of the former games.

Also check their gold, they can buy mercenaries.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Apropos the dynasty screen. You can scroll side ways by zooming in/out at its edges.

It's probably an oversight that WASD still only moves the world map on the dynasty screen.

Middle mouse button + drag

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How bad of an idea is declaring war on the pope if you're catholic? Should I make my own religion first?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that happens if the groom is in a mercenary company too. It'll happily let you do the engagement, but the wedding is forbidden so you have to break it.

There's a lot of little hidden gotchas in the UI that can be pretty frustrating. Someone on reddit has a picture of them trying to consecrate their bloodline and describing all of the crusades/sacrifices/etc/etc they needed to do to get the piety and holy sites and whatnot, and it's forbidden because they've got the "Content" trait

e: Found the picture

Same here, but with the Humble trait

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Gesadt posted:

Playing as King of Ireland and currently through marriage and some precision knifing my heir stands to inherit some counties currently part of Kingdom of England. How is that going to manifest? Will those counties be carved out and become part of Kingdom of Ireland or am i going to become vassal of England when playing my heir?

They will go over to Ireland, but they'll still belong to England de jure, so England can declare war for them.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Without watching it, when he mentions invincible men at arms in the intro, does he mean stacking building bonuses? Because I'm 90% sure that's gonna get a nerf pretty soon.

Yes. And speaking of 90%, that's the maximum reduction you get from going over your domain limit, which is why this strategy works when you just own hundreds to thousands of counties yourself.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Azhais posted:

Can you hold multiple Empire titles?

Yes

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Looking over at Greece and I've noticed there's no Albanian culture in either start date. Why is that and where are they?

They didn't exist in that time period?

Wikipedia posted:

Sassanid Albania fell to the Islamic conquest of Persia in the mid-7th century and was incorporated into the Rashidun Caliphate. King Javanshir of Albania, the most prominent ruler of Mihranid dynasty, fought against the Arab invasion of caliph Uthman on the side of Sassanid Iran. Facing the threat of the Arab invasion on the south and the Khazar offensive on the north, Javanshir had to recognize the caliph's suzerainty. The Arabs then reunited the territory with Armenia under one governor.[23]

By the 8th century, "Albania" had been reduced to a strictly geographical and titular ecclesiastical connotation,[115] and was referred to as such by medieval Armenian historians; on its place sprang a number principalities, such as that of the Armenian principality and kingdom of Khachen, along with various Caucasian, Iranian and Arabic principalities: the principality of Shaddadids, the principality of Shirvan, the principality of Derbent. Most of the region was ruled by the Persian Sajid Dynasty from 890 to 929. The region was at times part of the Abbasid province of Armenia based on numismatic and historical evidence.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whorelord posted:

Wrong Albania, that's the one next to Iberia.

Oops, but the other one didn't exist either

Wikipedia posted:

Historically, the country has been inhabited by numerous civilisations such as the Illyrians, Thracians, Ancient Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Venetians and Ottomans. The Albanians established the autonomous Principality of Arbër in the 12th century. The Kingdom of Albania and Principality of Albania formed between the 13th and 14th centuries.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Btw, how do you revoke duchy titles these days? Every time I try it just says "If you revoke this, the person will end up with only titular titles" or something. Can you only revoke duchies if the owner has more than one, or if you revoke all the counties as well first?

Revoking a duchy or kingdom always revokes all titles below that. You can do it if they have another county outside of that, but not if it would make them unlanded, which is probably a bug since you can revoke someone's last/only county just fine.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The game is complaining about me being above my direct vassal limit at 64/60, so I granted a bunch of vassals to some of my other vassals. But I'm still at 64/60? Why won't it move?

That display is super slow to update, the count you see when you click your character is accurate

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

hard counter posted:

i'm sorry, i don't make the law

:confused:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

how do you ally someone?

Marry someone of your family to one of his children

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

alcaras posted:

Thank you! And what’s the best way to raise just my MaA and some levies? The raise “local levies” button?

Raise the armies, then stop the raising by moving them away with ctrl when you have enough.
The 'raise all' gathers all your troops, no matter where they are, 'raise local' gathers all troops that are closer to this flag than to any other one, so you might need to mess with your rally points to get it to do something useful.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Theres no too many kingdoms penalty though

Game balance, because the "1 per Duchy" buildings are super powerful.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm not seeing any evidence of this in game. Do you need to be independent?

You need enough court grandeur to unlock it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So what's up with these ransom offers? Can you actually see what they're offering? The Accept and Decline buttons don't have any tooltips.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How can my son be the founder of my dynasty? Did he discover time travel?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Not much of a "requires" if the target can just say no :shrug:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 12, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

binge crotching posted:

Don't raise all your levies, just your Men at Arms. They should be a mix of Varangian and siege units, and even before you buff them can easily take on armies twice their size. Once you get them buffed, you can take on armies 10x as large.

Would mixing in some Huscarls for the screen stat be a good idea? They're also heavy infantry, so they benefit from the same buffs. Or is it "all in on varangian veterans, just never lose a battle"?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Most of your cash is going to come from your own holdings; unless you have specifically invested in your vassal's holdings, they will not have much in the way of income, and so they will have very little to pay you as a result.

A vassal only pays you 10% of their income (assuming default contract), so you really should not invest in their holdings, unless you're planning to take them for yourself later.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 14, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

I'm forced to have this guy as my spymaster for 25 years, he started out with 5 intrigue. And since he's my spymaster he is pretty much impossible to kill. I also had a 5 steward force himself upon me but he will be dead real soon.
Can't you still swap him to another council position and then put in a different spymaster?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

Speaking of cool traditions: what are we all liking?

I enjoy the combo of Philosopher Culture and Warrior Priests. I tend to neglect martial trees and focus on learning anyway. This pair makes my learned family members and even priests very effective commanders and knights.

By The Sword: Unlimited kingdom level holy wars, that become available one devotion level earlier.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

MikeC posted:

There seems to be a bug sometimes when holding court where names disappear or results get cut off and don't display. Does anyone know what this 25% chance of is?

quote:

random = {
chance = 25
physician_lifestyle_rank_up_effect = yes
}

looks like it can level up your physician

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCDNAJxdsYY

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Taear posted:

He's my vassal forever now. I mended the schism and he's still loving there. I can't unland him, it just straight up won't let me
I guess I'll have to give him independence then attack him to get rid.

Make him your court jester instead :v:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Would it look like that if the vassal was the one who declared the war, but got counter-sieged by bavaria?
If so, then that territory should go back to the original vassal, no matter who eventually wins the war.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Clicking that "unite the Spanish thrones" decision while waiting for the struggle phase to tick over might not have been the best idea.

Uhhh...what's the best way to convert a lot of counties?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why? I currently nearing it, I just need converting the rest of Portugal and waiting for the hostility phase, which is just around the corner

That's exactly the situation I was in.
The answer: Uniting the thrones deletes all the other Kingdoms and makes them de jure part of Portugal, so now you have to convert all of their counties as well...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tyranny and stress are resources, not something to be avoided at all costs.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Serephina posted:

You do get something out of it, they pay reparations to you in the form of gold.

Looking at it now that's only for certain types of CB, but I think every single defensive war I've fought has either resulted in a gold or being able to imprison&revoke troublesome vassals.

But then you're also stuck with a truce you might not want.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tias posted:

E: Also, I finally got a claim on Athlone, but the earl there is stated as having 5500+ troops and thus outnumber me significantly, but the combined levies of his counties are around 500 men. How'd he get so many MAA?

He's probably allied to someone big.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

My Chancellor's been spending his time sassing babies.

Maybe King Gaucelin just did not know that you were a baby and your councilor just told him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ooops, I completely misread that. Shows that I haven't played the game in a long time.