Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah drat paradox for sending review copies out to regular passionate nerds, and not just professional speakers and marketers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think my favourite example of someone playing CK2 was that Denmark Let's Play from ages back. It started off with a nice simple premise - they were going to only involve themself with Denmark, and Denmark's politics. And for the first few characters they did, but Scandinavia being what it was they were also intimately involved with Norway and Sweden. Which broadened the scope a bit, but it was still a very focused game with simple goals.

You don't need to start wanting to paint the map, or found empires, or crush religions.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

teacup posted:

Is it realistic to start as a like, low level ruler and eventually... CONQUER EVERYTHING!? Or is the timing too prohibitive and you’d have to start as a higher level ruler

In my Holy Fury game I started as a count in Norway, and after a few hundred years had 90% of europe, most of africa, and half the middle east before I ran out of steam.

Better players will probably do a lot more in that time. I haven't seen anyone do the complete map, but I'm sure it's feasible if you're crazy.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I might check out spotify before the game comes out, but I want to say that I really liked the CK2 soundtrack. Pretty much everything from the period / regional pieces, all the way to the metal, was gold.

I'd probably pick most of it up if it was available on a non streaming platform.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eimi posted:

I think up until Holy Fury everything was just an mp3 in the directory. I do love it, it fit so well and has so many epic songs. The CK3 one posted feels more, I want to say ethereal, but since it's supposed to be more context driven than individual song driven it might work better in practice.

They're oggs, and thus easily convertible, so that's what I've done until now. They're all a mess and unorganized though, so I'd take the convenience of a soundtrack release.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Your newer councillors often comment on how cold you are towards them until you have a chance to work with each other more. You have gained the Tsundere trait.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dramicus posted:

I dunno, I'd say that looks bad. I'd prefer the CK2 portraits to that. I'm glad the CK3 3d stuff turned out alright.

Yeah, I agree. I like CK2's portraits fine, but those early concepts look like I'm playing some lovely freemium ios game and the king should be saying I can spend 300 gems (only $5.99 for 1000) to instantly refill my leves and get a +10 vassal opinion.

I was wary when they started showing off 3d models and got Oblivion flashbacks, but the ones we've seen look pretty drat good too.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eonwe posted:

Can someone explain how you get justification to invade a territory via marriage? Would it be via having a child with a claim?

I haven't dug into CK3 yet, but in CK2 if you marry someone with a claim, and they have a child with you, they can inherit it.

If it's a strong claim, you can push that claim immediately. If that child is your vassal, or part of your dynasty, and the title permits it, they will remain your vassal.

If it's a weak claim, you can only push it if the target is a child, a woman, or a few other special circumastances.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Not sure I like the new raiding mechanics. CK2 was probably way too good on that front, but I feel 45 days to take 4 gold from some backwater Bishopric, and then another 50 days to get back on the boat is a bit harsh when they can just rally point beside me and dump 2k troops on me in a couple of weeks.

Getting locked into position for that long is harsh.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

AnEdgelord posted:

I miss being able to hit up the Jews for a loan. Also I have yet to see a Jewish character outside of the Khazars. In Ck2 I would always have one or two show up in my court every now and then.

I had a random one just turn up to my court in Ireland and wanted to join.

Then my wife got into a fight with him and I had to kick him out.

Then my wife got into a fight with like 4 more courtiers in a row and I had to tell her to knock it off.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Moldy Sausage posted:

Thanks for this advice. I was able to set up an alliance with Sweden and together with some mercs we won the war and even captured the king of Scotland. Since the war was almost won anyway I took the opportunity to execute the king, hoping to sow some chaos in the Scotland. I hope they enjoy being ruled by a six year old.

It seems like a lot of effort just to take a single county though. Especially since I have to wait for the truce to end to even try to take a second one. Is there really no way to press multiple claims at once? Any feedback on what should do/should have done would be appreciated; it can be hard to tell sometimes if you're doing the right thing or just making things harder on yourself. Will Scotland be hampered by its new baby king or did I just throw away a valuable hostage for no reason?

Capturing the king usually gives you a flat 100% war score. His release would be part of the peace deal, so you wouldn't have been able to keep him around.

Having a kid on the throne wouldn't make anything better for them, but has all the possibility of making things worse. Short reign, child ruler, etc. maluses will all stack up. Maybe the vassals won't do anything about it, but if there are a few powerful ambitious rulers under him, they might take the opportunity.

Depending on their laws, causing a succession also can split up large kingdoms, or large dukes, if they have to distribute titles between all of the eligible children.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ok, weirdest thing happened.

Early in the game I (Traendalog) swore feality to Sweden, because Bjorn Ironside was going on a rampage.
A couple generations later Gavelkind tore Sweden into two kingdoms, Sweden and Brittany. I was a vassal of Brittany at that point.
The king of Brittany lost all of his landed titles and I became independent some how. I'm looking at at save right now just a couple years back where I have no liege.
I took a dutchy from Denmark (Viken, De Jure Norway) and then Sweden became my liege again.

I don't understand how the last step happened.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nuclear War posted:

So, erh another probably obvious question. Yesterday someone showed a screen of education focuses that I didn't know existed. How do I bring that up?

No screen shot, but if you look at a kid that you're a guardian of, and they're of the right age range (6-16 maybe) on the bottom left of their portrait is a button. It's where your lifestyle choice would be. That should bring up the education focus.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

B B posted:

I have a much better understanding of how the military stuff works, as well as fabricating and pressing claims. I am still pretty clueless about ways to generate claims outside of fabricating them, but looking forward to learning more about that.

One thing that's still kind of a complete mystery to me is the hostile schemes. I've tried only one murder plot so far, but it quickly got found out and lowered all of my vassal's opinions of me.

With claims, you'll occasionally have claimants wandering around from court to court. You get a notification when it happens. There's also a button in the decisions page, I think, that allows you to offer invites to claimants to your court.

There are also de jure claims, pope-granted claims, or claims that people are born with, among other things.

With hostile schemes, you'll likely need to go into your intrigue tab and click on the invite agents button. You can invite, bribe, or blackmail people to help your scheme. It'll show you your complete success change, as well as your secrecy chance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So my first long-reigned character went down. Started as a 12 year old, died in her 70s. RIP dread queen of Norway.

Turns out my son/heir has a bastard child with his sister, and they've both been spreading herpes around the court.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

queeb posted:

any tips on selecting people to take over counties to be vassals? I almost have all of ireland, need to divvy poo poo up. I do have a brother and we're besties, i was going to offload 3 provinces to him. is it fine to give one person a bunch of land or should I split it up between courtiers?

You generally don't want any one vassal to be too powerful. Give two of those provinces to two assholes. Give your brother the last county and the dutchy to rule over them.

Your brother might be loyal to the end, but his son or grandson might not be. By stopping him, or at least slowing him down, in gaining all of the counties in his control, he'll be overall weaker when he decides to rebel or join a faction.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Qubee posted:

Can I grant titles to absolute nobodies who are lowborn, or is there a downside to that? I kinda like the idea of giving away titles to Knights who've served me well in battle, and also random people who have great stats. My reasoning is: if they have awesome stats, they'll cause their county to prosper and I'll get a larger share of their pie in the form of taxes.

This is basically all I do. If you give poo poo to landed people, they might inherit right out of your realm if they inherit from elsewhere first.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeta Acosta posted:

sorry for the dumb question
im playing the tutorial and im already on my own but i cant marry me son, i send an invitation to some french girl with high administrative stats but when i send the invitation it changes to her profile and doesnt let me make the proposal, what im doing wrong?

Don’t click on her profile icon, but click on her stats page on the right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I had a daughter betrothed to another character, but somehow in the last few years he got his balls cut off and became a eunich. When she came of age she was stuck in the betrothal, but the marriage also couldn't be accepted. I had to take a huge opinion hit with basically everyone by breaking the betrothal I had no choice but to break.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So I have a couple rear end in a top hat vassals that tried to start a faction to put someone else on the thrown. They're hanging out in prison right now, but I want their land.

I started in 867 so I might not have the cultural advances yet. At the very least I can't revoke their titles directly. I don't have the tech for Low Crown Authority yet. Are there any schemes or other ways I can go about this?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eimi posted:

Also it would be nice if it was accept it wouldn't be under an evil god's auspices, though I already find the idea of 'evil' god for non Abrahamic religions kind of strange.

Why? Some of them have very similar Satan analogues. Many other revere gods of death, disease, and other misfortune that are clearly evil as well.

Some might be in grey areas, like Loki or Hel, but others like Angra Mainyu was created from evil and is adversarial to the religion. Chernobog was likely considered evil as well, or at the very least an evil aspect of some dualism.

Abrahamic religions don't exactly have the monopoly on evil.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Eschatos posted:

So what actually is the point of seducing? Just stress reduction and spare bastards if you get outed?

Also is there some gimmick I can use to stop a kingdom from being formed and passed down to a second child? Don't think changing inheritance will do it with the options I got.

You can use the opinion boost from having a lover to help with alliances, or annoying vassals, or what have you. Or just cuckold your rivals for fun.

I'm not actually sure but can you out your own bastards if they rise somewhere important?

I don't think standard partition will create new top-level titles. Confederate partition will. If you're stuck with Confederate Partition, I think you're stuck with the new titles.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bewbies posted:

Does anyone know the deal with people randomly joining my council and being non-fireable for 25 years? I just got an absolute imbecile as my steward and I'm displeased.

They're using hooks to gain a position.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When Count Loup of Boulogne inherited the county from his father, he used a hook to muscle his way into my council. At 21 intrigue he wanted the Spymaster job, and you know what? He could have it. A couple months later he found my half brother had a plot to kill me, and since the rest of my court hated me, he probably would have had plenty of help.

He died fairly early in his 30s, but was also notable for being my only vassal to not rebel against me to install my other brother as the duke. As soon as his son, Count Loop (the second) came of age, he got a position for life as Chancellor with 18 diplomacy. Proving his family line's worth again, when the rest of Flanders was in a faction to overthrow my then child character, Loop 2 stayed out of it. Sadly he got cut down short when he was off leading troops in one of his ally's wars somewhere. Loop 2's daughter is about to come of age, and while she's only a mediocre steward, she'll probably get the job. Maybe I'll try to arrange a matrilineal marriage with someone in the realm to keep their dynasty going.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I learned pretty early to not let heirs or important councillors to be knights. They have a life expectancy of months.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The first time I sent a call out for knights, I was playing as a Norse duke invading Catholic England.

The first guy that showed up was a grizzled French Cathar. I'm not sure what was going on in his life to make him want to join a heathen army to kill a bunch of Catholics, but whatever it was made for a nice story.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

gvibes posted:

I am having an oddly difficult time sending my army to attack a force a force besieging my castles? When I click right on the enemy army or the siege logo, my army goes to the wrong spot. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to do this?

It's just an issue of clicking on the right holding in the county, which can be a problem when there's flags and poo poo in the way. Just zoom in and make sure you click on the right spot.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My latest queen actually gained a positive trait from a mental break. Instead of two negative choices and nothing, I had a negative choice, nothing, or a positive choice to confide in my soulmate husband and get a stress reduction plus the Confider trait.

It was pretty cool.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, Knights are super important. At base, a Knight does 10times the damage a single leve would, per point of prowess. And it's easy to get 2-300% Knight damage from traits.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Delthalaz posted:

Do you still get big opinion penalties form vassals if you raise their levies for a long time? It's kind-of odd that all the soldiers just appear together in a big lump rather than clearly differentiating from vassal and demesne forces.

I've seen vassals get a negative modifier of me with Offensive War as the reason, so I think that's the new vassal levy penatly.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Piell posted:

Holy poo poo Shy is debilatating. You get stress for Swaying people and Feasts don't bring down stress, it's terrible

Yeah, and even recruiting Knights causes stress. Shy is the worst. Most other traits I'll deal with but I'll do anything in my power to make Shy inheritors disappear.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeta Acosta posted:

there is some way to make my heir to have sons? he married some very nice lass but the boy is 30 and no sons yet

Seduce his wife and keep it a secret.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Zeta Acosta posted:

how do you give land to another character?

Right click him -> Grant Title.

You might not be able to do that to your primary heir depending on your succession laws.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, you need to be in the territory targeted by the Crusade. Not that ruler's territory, but the actual De Jure kingdom.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Mainland Europe, except for the Dutchy of Flanders, myself, has all gone Waldensian (ignoring of course the huge swaths of Norse states). The King of France tries to get me to convert every few years, and while my last character could tell him to gently caress off and he'd happily oblige, my new character doesn't have 31 diplomacy. Each king since has tried to arrest me, but I'm generally strong and rich enough to fight him off. Well, except for now because I'm broke.

I don't really want to convert, but I can't find any good claimants I can put on the French throne. Nor do I want to be King yet.

England is Catholic, and I could become independent and probably swear fealty to them. It's 1105 and Britannia is still a giant Norse Asatru playground though, and I fear that would open me up to a lot more Norse visits.

Not sure what direction I want to take things in. I've got pretty good intrigue right now so I've just been causally making the child-rulers of France disappear in strange accidents before they can get uppity, but I think there's an expiry date coming on that strategy as well.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 11, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know if non-stop Asatru incursions are the problem, or if it's just bad luck with constant bad priest popups, but in three games I've never seen Catholicism come out looking like they belonged in Europe.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I kinda miss transport boats ala CK2, but at the same time it's nice to be able to play a landlocked region and still be able to contribute stuff you'd want boats for.

I think I mostly just dislike 50 day embark times when I'm raiding.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

buglord posted:

e: goddamn this game is hard. all my vassals suddenly demanded independence as soon as my successor took over.they were fine beforehand, did i miss anything?

Nope. That's what they do. Succession crises are a huge aspect of the game to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's like dueling for claims against my smarter, stronger brother in CK2 hoping I die so I can both reunite the country and play the better character.