Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a crime, so you can probably imprison him. Of if you have a claim on his county you should be able to take it without tyranny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

toasterwarrior posted:

Are we sure the exclave rule is actually working? I know naval range generosity is loving with it, clearly, but drat if I don't see random counties still popping up under the control of some massive empire a continent away

Apparently it only works for independent rulers. If a king's vassal conquers some poo poo at the other side of the map, it won't break apart.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

bees everywhere posted:

fabricated hooks to arrange matrilineal marriages

gently caress. I never thought about doing this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Does fabricating a hook allow you to avoid the tyranny penalty for revoking a title or is it just the personal opinion penalty from the title holder

You still get tyranny. You need a claim on the county to prevent it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Under partitioning you can never give your primary heir titles unless they're going to inherit them anyways. Your primary heir will get your primary top title, and the primary titles under that (primary kingdom, primary duchy, primary county).

Your other children will seem to try to inherit that many number of titles, so it's going to blow through all your counties super fast just to equalize it.

Confederate partition will break off to make new duchies and kingdoms, so you can't keep everything under a single title if you have the territory to create another one. Regular partition will not create new titles. High partition will attempt to keep all the primary land together under your primary heir.

How it splits it up after that is a bit harder to predict.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is confederate what Ireland has in the early start? Because I haven't really had any troubles losing anything on succession (yet). Is it because my top tier title (Kingdom of Ireland) just automatically controls everything?

Like I'll start losing poo poo if I form Wales/England before I get the Empire of Britannia title?

I think most tribes start with confederate partition. But as you point out, if you only have one top title (and you don't have the land to create say, Wales) partition will keep you under one title. However, if you conquered Wales and kept them under Ireland, Confederate Partition will create the Kingdom of Wales and hand it off to a child when you die, if one is available to inherit.

If you switch to normal partition, you can conquer the rest of Wales, England, and Scotland, and as long as you don't create the top title, partition will not create those and split the Kingdom.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Trevor Hale posted:

Do you know where the button is for that? I clicked around everywhere and didn’t see it. But also my guy had a diplomacy of 1 so I am guessing he had some stuff locked

Should just be in the right-click diplomacy settings.

If he has land in your De Jure England it might not let you set him free. Revoke some English counties from him and see if that helps.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

sdr782 posted:

Do both starting dates end at 1453 or does the 876 starting date have an earlier end date?

They all end at 1453 unless you disable the end date in game options.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Nudity is cool.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If she’s your liege, there a liege’s council tab in the council window to see her spymaster.

You can set your spymaster to hostile scheming, which will add a chunk of power to that plot.

If you go to the intrigue window, you can see if there are any agents helping you or available. Click on the k vote agents button and you can see her court. Some people will have joined automatically, but you also see people you can bribe or use a hook to join your plot as well. Invite agents and your success rate will go up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think fervor is a bit too good at what it's trying to do. Third game in, and I've never seen a game that didn't have Europe split between Waldensianism and Catharism by the year 1000.

I'd like if there was still something like Moral Authority in place to give some of the established religions some stability, and have fervor as some sort of temporary modifier.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
By default it looks like for most religions adultery is a crime for women, but only shunned for men, so that might be part of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Grey Fox posted:

Is there a known bug with betrothals not firing when they're supposed to? I started playing as an heir and he still had a betrothal when both of them were in their 20's. When I clicked the "Betrothed Can Marry" alert it said she would accept, but I couldn't push the button to make it happen. The tool tip only said something like "You *cannot* send this request" with no indication as to why. All my googling just brings up CK2 and not CK3.

Double check the spouse to be. I have had this happen if they have something happen that would disinherit them, like being turned into a eunuch, taking the vows, or becoming part of a holy order. It doesn't break the betrothal automatically, but it doesn't let you hit the button.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My wife was exposed to having an affair which produced a child (twins, actually). Since that was all exposed, shouldn't it have taken the kids out of my inheritance? I have to manually disinherit them as house head a few years later, since they were still considered my dynasty.

e: It's a nice touch in game. My character, his father, and all of his other children are these giant, brawny people with dark hair. The twins are small and blonde.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 21, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It counts everything under the control of every ruler in the war.

It won't count any vassal armies, that will be hostile, but haven't officially entered the war.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eXXon posted:

Regarding this protection, being a vassal doesn't stop enemy rulers from declaring war to steal your counties (and I suppose duchies later on), and your negligent and/or malicious liege could decide to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

Yeah. As Duke of Flanders, Sweden did a duchy conquest on me. The King of France never even showed up and I didn't get any sort of notification. All of a sudden there were just thousands of angry bearded assholes running around my territory.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can force a job with a weak hook.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Digital Osmosis posted:

Figure I'll ask again: I'm trying to make a mod to add some new names (given and dynasty names) to a culture. Do I have to include them alphabetically, either in the culture files or the localization files? Or can I just throw them in at the end of the big list?

I don't think anyone here knows.

Have you just tried putting them at the end?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

eonwe posted:

Was IRL inheritance really as goofy as how its portrayed in this game? Even with whats essentially an in game wiki it can be tough to track

From what I know of IRL inheritances, CK3 is simplified.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've won a couple defensive wars I had no right to through abduction schemes. If your intrigue is high enough you can usually pull it off in around a year. You just gotta stay alive for that long.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Magil Zeal posted:

I've noticed that even in my female-dominated realms women over 50 can be pretty slow to marry, I wonder if they have a hard time with the calculations involving fertility?

The patch says the AI pays more attention to fertility chance, as well as old marriage partners in general.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

freebooter posted:

I've jumped straight into this with zero experience of any of the past games and I'm completely at sea, but one irritating thing that I've tried googling and can't find an answer to: why am I losing prestige? I'm getting -0.1 every month.

Assuming you haven't changed any of the control settings, hover over your prestige gain in the top right until the window locks in place. Then you can hover over the modifiers and see what they're coming from, and why.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

JustaDamnFool posted:

Anyone know how the Varangian trait works? It's the mid 10th century and I've seen it popping up for some of my relatives, is there anyway I can ship my useless sons off to get some experience slaughtering hippodrome hooligans?

I've had unlanded men from my court as me if they could go hang out in Constantinople for a while. I think it's a decision they make, not one that you can push them to.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Dude's so oppressed by the kaiser he can't even afford clothes. I'd help him out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jay Rust posted:

What do courtiers even do all day?

My wife, apparently.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Similarly, I'd like something like the old honourary titles, but with more mechanical impact.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Strong vassals can go out on their own and conquer poo poo for you, and it might be easier to placate a few unhappy strong vassals compared to dozens of weaker ones.

It's a bit of a balancing act, but the vassal limit is enormous so you shouldn't run into that problem.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

adhuin posted:

Do barons, mayors and bishops count toward the vassal limit?

Nope. County vassals or higher only.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Murder the pope and become friends with the next.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PittTheElder posted:

One non-balance DLC feature I'd really like is the ability to select who my player heir is going to be separate from my primary heir. There's a bit of abuse shielding you'd have to do here, but sometimes I'd rather play the younger son out on the periphery and leave dad's Kingdom to my older brother or whatever.

This is a request I've had for a long time. Sometimes after I have the empire built, I just want to play as my duke cousin or someone else in the dynasty and do something with them.

You can switch characters on the fly in CK3, but I don't know if it works in ironman and doesn't quite have the same transition feel.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It just magics up the title.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's think it's more of a request to cycle through them quickly with an option to kill, ransom, ignore, to quickly go through everyone in the prison, rather than just hit one of the mass-orders to deal with them all the same. Even with an exclude from mass toggle it can be cumbersome to manage a large amount of prisoners with any precision.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mooseontheloose posted:

I suck at this game because I keep getting roflstomped by Alba in the mid 950s and can't figure out how to break them up/wait them out. Conceding when I am 5:1 to one army only works so much. Assassinating vassals/leaders doesn't work either.

Prioritize alliances with them?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's pretty universally recommended. Maybe not as content and mod rich as full CK2 right now, and a few systems need work, but it's not like release civilization games missing 75% of their features.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like it how it is. You either have to be a tyrant and just deal with them, or you have to wait for them to do something illegal like revolting.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Just marry your daughters yourself just to be sure.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So if I understood right, this is just a flavour pack that's fleshing out play in a certain region without any huge overhauls? So we can still expect something bigger and more mechanical coming down the line?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

PittTheElder posted:

I really wish the game didn't do this. Letting you jump to your brother or something seems like such a simple thing.

I know I can switch after the fact, but I wish deaths gave me the option to play as a different dynasty member, not just the primary heir. Game overs should as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BillBear posted:

How come my daughter didn't get her education trait? I had her on steward focus and tutored her for her whole life.

Education traits are based on a lot of factors, and I don't think you can 100% guarantee that the child gets the one you're aiming for.

e: Oh wait, she didn't get any trait. No idea then.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Last time I had a crusade called against me they dropped small independent armies all over England that I could destroy individually like a 1000 year old game of whack a mole.

Otherwise use whatever terrain or man advantage you can. Ransom everyone you can that's not worth tremendous warscore to keep the mercs flowing.