Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How is CK3 looking now compared to CK2? As a player who has never played CK2.

I read the post on page 5 and it looks like a tonne of CK2 DLC content was in the base game which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There was a typo in my post! I have played CK2, about 60 hours or something. 20 of those were what it took to actually click for me.

Ill probably pick up 3 then as by the time I get end game it will be even more fleshed out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any good guides on lifestyle choices? I’m spending a lot of time trying to choose but feel like some are way better than others.

I haven’t been able to find many decent guides, feels like there should be heaps. I found one hour and a half long YouTube video which was good but a little hard to work from.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the responses around Lifestyle choices. I’m currently playing as a Norse Pagan next to Lithuania so I suspect some of those good ones might be better when I go feudal.

My guy also has the honest trait and has low intrigue so most of that tree is not useful I think?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Commanders and Knights are different right? Do I not have Knights because I’m tribal?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Guest posted:

Commanders are the guys you select to lead your armies when you click on the army. Knights are your vassals/courtiers with high prowess who will act as units in your armies. They might have a different name like champions depending on your culture and whether you're tribal or feudal.

Ah! I think they are called Champions for my game. Thanks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well my game ended very abruptly after all that. I didn’t realise confederate partition meant the son’s kid inherits if he dies. So that happened during a war and I’m playing a useless 6 year old (all his aunts and uncles had either Quick or Intelligent). Then they all got killed during a siege anyway and I got dog piled by all vassals and neighbours.

:ughh:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone link me to some guides on how to prevent complete chaos when your player dies?

In my last two games, I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to succession laws, and I've been totally dog piled after changing to a new player who is either not old enough or too weak or both.

I've got over 100 hours in CK2 and thought CK3 was meant to be easier but I'm not finding that. :(

EDIT: Ooof what a snipe

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Arcvasti posted:

If you have partition(and since primogeniture comes so late you will basically always have partition) you absolutely want exactly one heir to avoid stuff splitting on death(sure your stuff won't usually leave the realm unless you really mess up, but it sucks losing the buildings on your other counties). Disinheriting spare kids, making them take vows or even straight-up murdering them(best done to your grandkids ahead of time) all work. Also having non-neutral gender laws helps a lot, since then you have to mess with them half as much. It's even better if you have the freedom to swap from male preference to female preference depending on the proportions and which kid looks most promising. Once you have a decent heir and some opposite gender kids for making alliance marriages, then consider embracing celibacy to not muddy the succession with more kids.

Alliances are really important I've found. There's no cost to inviting them into a defensive war, so getting a strong alliance with something like France or the Byzantines can really help you when your vassals inevitably rebel. You can also ally with your strongest vassals to keep them out of factions, but that always feels like a bit of a waste honestly. Just make sure that your alliances will still apply when your heir inherits, or even leave some family members unmarried in advance for them if you're not sure.

It also helps if you've put away some gold to hire mercenaries with, and of course if you have some good men at arms. You can also store some prisoners of hostile faiths for your new heir to execute to rocket up their dread right away and discourage factions. If you've been careful to give stuff mainly to content/cowardly/etc people then they should be easy to terrify into submission.

This is awesome thank you.

Ironically after I posted that I decided to see what vassal life was like for a bit. Turns out I was second in line to inherit everything back and my usurper appointed me their spymaster :getin:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

KDdidit posted:

Welp, ruler died and time for the succession dissent poo poo to fire up, better start with the feast for a few points.

:getin: I remember seeing a screen shot of this event a while back and forgot it existed so it was a nice surprise. Also that pitiful opinion penalty for killing everybody.

Man, that rules. You spend so long swaying angry vassals from a succession this is quite the solution. Would have to be conscious of kinslayer though right?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Start granting some of the stuff you don't want to the kids you want to inherit it.

There is no system for determining which kid gets what beyond the primary heir receiving preferential reception of your primary title and capital.

I tried this in my game but it looks like that kid would get the original stuff plus this new county, which is worse. Does this have to be done at the highest level? Meaning I should have given him a duchy not a county? I’m a king.

This is just going on the succession tab, maybe it doesn’t process until it happens?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Had a succession crisis and lost my kingdom to a previous vassal. What's my best method to get that back? I'm now probably the second or third most powerful vassal under him. Just slowly gobble up the smaller vassals then make a move?

Also, what's a decent make-up for MaA? I was going the siege route but feel like I should balance it out more. I've got 8/8 mangonels, 7/8 bowmen, 7/8 skirmishers and 1/8 pikemen. I'm playing in Ireland if that matters.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

You should be more than capable of fending off the Emperor of you hold that much territory, I found it to be pretty manageable as the King of Sicily just twenty years into the game.

My guess is you're relying on mashing armies of levies together, rather than employing MaA correctly.

Thanks to you and Cheshire’s advice I’ll be trying this tonight.

It really wasn’t much of a struggle to get the Kingdom of Ireland title back either, my stupid cousin got hit left right and centre before I grabbed it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah warfare in this game (in contrast to say, EU4) is pretty anarchic. If you are at war with someone (so in your case Connaught) and they are at war with somebody else (Leinster here), your armies will be hostile to their armies, as well as their allies (and any vassals of Connaught if they have any).

This prevents the situation common in other Paradox games where you are trying to conquer a territory and some random snipes the occupation of a province, or you both split the occupation of a realm and neither of you have enough warscore to actually make peace. Incidentally, if you had managed to occupy your claim and make peace with Connaught, and Leinster was trying to conquer the same county, the war would automatically now make you the defender against Leinster and it's allies. If you want to take land, be prepared to defend it from all comers.

Similar situations can arise if somebody is at war with your liege. Any of the invading armies will be hostile to you, even if your lands are not directly contested.

As for avoiding them, armies that are hostile to you in this manner are shown in orange (as opposed to red for armies you are directly at war with). Non-hostile armies whom you will not fight should you encounter are shown in white.

This is really helpful, thanks. I had wondered the same thing when mousing over other armies before.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

:lol: at one-legged giving +1 learning

Haha I was laughing about this as well, pretty great.

PinheadSlim posted:

My little person vassal got eated by a big fish :ohdear:

All because I built a carp pond... I had no idea this could happen lol

He was so cool

This should be a possible murder scheme!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My PC’s sister stabbed me out just now. Good news is that she is old enough to do stuff (20, he was 10) and she’s a genius.

Bad news is that she’s married to a landed character so I have the warning of game over if she dies. Both of their kids are his dynasty.

What are my best options here? Stab him out and the kids to secure my dynasty? Or something else?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Murdering or divorcing him is a good idea, though you won't be able to murder your kids unless you have particular traits (Sadistic I think); disinheriting them (either though the dynasty action or by appointing them as ecclesiastical rulers, assuming Theocratic religion) would be your other option. Or if you can get to Absolute Crown Authority, designate a dynastic child as your heir, assuming you can remarry in time.

Alternatively, adopt Elective or Seniority succession and you should be able to side step to some other living dynast, assuming there are other dynasts alive.

Murdered my husband. Got remarried and had a son of my dynasty. In my last year of life I moved to Absolute Crown Authority and designated him as primary heir. Didn’t realise the other heirs still inherit so lost half my titles on death (had a 95% chance to murder one of them in my last month of life thwarted by a bloodline thing) Lost a succession war and liberty war and now I’m literally back to where I started back in 1067…as a duke under the new king of Ireland.

Man this game knows how to put you on your rear end if you’re not good at it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

trapped mouse posted:

Two things to keep in mind, no matter how many heirs you end up splitting things up with:

1. You will always keep your capital county and your primary title

2. You will always keep all of the Men-at-Arms that your previous ruler had.

Build up your capital as much as you can, and hire as many MaA as you can without hurting your monthly gold (or prestige) income too badly and successions should generally be smoother.

I get this and it's fine but I was hated after the succession (despite executing for dread) and then got gang-piled so now I can't afford my MaA and lost my primary title.

EDIT: OK nevermind. The game threw me a huge bone. I created a facion to install me and it kicked off within a few months AND my liege added me as spymaster...

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 21, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My song and heir keeps trying to kill me, which I get. If I imprison him but then die (I'm kinda old) will that gently caress up my succession?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I rate stewardship. My income has grown massively in my current game from doubling down by putting that money back into buildings. Now as the holder of Kingdom of Ireland and Scotland I can field huge armies.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the deal with the too many duchies penalty? Like I can have 10 kingdoms but only 2 duchies.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh, I see as I didn't have any kings in my Empire so no one was stressed about that.

Well, I played till the end (Munster > Empire of Britania). What's a good Norse start? Something on the easy side would be good.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

No Pants posted:

Mystic gives you another option for treatment.

The Mystic line and Herbalist act as multipliers on the bonus from learning for safe treatment success calculations. Only learning and the Physician line are used for risky treatment AFAIK.

I did not know this! I basically only ever use safe treatments so should probably reassess.

And yeah I just started a Haesteinn play through last night and got murdered by the King Charles twice (I restarted one as a result) but I’m on my third PC now control 2/3 of France.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress this game makes me want to poke my eyes out sometimes. I just played a game where I got on the back foot in a war against a neighbour and just ended up in constant Liberty and Independence wars for the best part of like 50 years as a result. My kingdom just shrinking and shrinking as I lost more and everyone gang-piled me.

I feel like I'm playing loving whack-a-mole just chasing units around the map, very frustrating. Not sure whether I should just throw in the towel or not.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PancakeTransmission posted:

Unless you have a very specific reason for keeping crown authority high, just accept their demands and lower it instead of getting into another war.

And sometimes you'll have to white peace or even surrender to end a war when you're too busy dealing with another 2. The latest patch specifically make factions easier to trigger when you're already dealing with others.

I realised later that it’s kind of my fault as I had forgotten to get my steward to convert culture so French populists were constantly triggering along with the usual Liberty factions.

It’s just annoying as when I started that first war against the neighbour I didn’t have any active factions so things seemed fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

You generally doesn't want to stay where you are, you're surrounded by Karlings and they'll help each other crush you if you come at them. So pick somewhere interesting on the map and go be a Viking there.

Raiding happens whenever you aren't at war.

Would have been good to know this before I did my start (see above!)!

Is there anywhere that I can compare perks of different cultures? In my (probably doomed) Haesteinn run I've had the chance to covert to Norman and now Swedish but I have no idea if those are good ideas or not.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PittTheElder posted:

Cultures don't have particular bonuses beyond the Innovations they possess. What innovations they have (and qualify for) can be seen by clicking on that culture on the map from the culture map mode. I think you can click into it off characters of that culture as well.

For cultures that may not exist yet like Norman, you just have go with what the decision text tells you.

Ah good to know!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m Norse/Astru and did a Vargarian Adventure for Rome and kicked the Pope out. As a result he instituted crusades. Things are looking fine at the moment but my Catholic neighbours won’t be smaller than me for ever.

I’m going to reform the religion, what’s the easiest way to get Piety? Seems pretty tricky to come by normally.

Also if the pressure gets too much I’ll switch to another culture. Italian is an option currently but are there any others in the region that are better? Italian seems pretty vanilla.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I started as Haestein so I was already feudal which is nice. I forgot about the holy sites thing though, drat.

Any other fun religion around Italy? Catholicism seems boring. Assuming you can switch religion with a decision/event similar to culture.

I’ll check out Sicilian culture too, thanks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Paramemetic posted:

Okay, I'm 41 years old on my third? fourth? generation guy. My first generation created Finland and did not create Sapmi but to my surprise my brother did automatically when the founder died. Oops.

So now 4 generations in I've got the kingdoms of Finland, Norway, Sweden, and Sapmi and I'm at 82/101 territories to create Scandinavia. I'm optimistic I can mop up Estonia and Denmark to create it before I die but I'm very concerned that I'm going to have to start from scratch on those kingdoms if I randomly die. Is the best way to protect all these kingdoms while still tribal confederate partition just to kill all my non-heir kids? Disinherit them?

Disinherit is a good option too if you have enough renown and not tonnes of kids.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Masonity posted:

Or you go back and take them? That's what I did after varangian-ing constantinople.

On a similarly constantinople-based note, in my current byzantine game I reunited the roman empire, fixed the schism then went on to reconquer all the old provinces. I literally have no more "reconquer" CBs, anywhere. So, what's next? It kinda feels like I should just walk away from that save now. It's either that or give away most of the land. Or go for a North Korea World conquest.

Well I did just manage to take the Kingdom of Italy off Lothiringia due to a succession crises on their side.

I still can’t decide on a new religion though, any ideas? Reformed would be nice so I can avoid the penalty.

Also do I just keep demanding conversions, converting faith and culture in counties and keeping dread high in the mean time to keep factions down? Don’t want to end up like my previous game.

I’ll switch to Sicilian culture once I’ve locked in a point in each Norse dynasties as you guys mentioned.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I moved my capital from Rome to a nearby county that was Sicilian culture so I could covert, after fabricating the claim on it. Then my guy dies and his son is Russian. I didn't realise this and moved my capital back and now I'm back to loving tribal tech....sigh :negative:

There is no other way to do this with my current PC right? I can only move the capital once in a lifetime. I'm thinking I'll wait for a faction to rise and then take the option provided it's Italian or Sicilian.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

There's some major decisions that include moving capital as part of a bundle deal, but yea you might have to wait. Alternatively get yourself killed?

Funny you say that. My guy got pneumonia and almost did die but made it through...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Actually that reminds me. Is it OK to have a vassal as spymaster? I know positive opinion is the number one thing but I’ve always avoided using vassals as there would be too much incentive to kill me I thought.

Also last night I managed to white peace a much superior West Francia and Byzantium trying to take a kingdom off me. Felt pretty great. I am emperor of Italy (which says Tsar for some reason?) but together they were much more powerful than me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I pretty much always ensure vassals I give land to have either Craven or Content and never ambitious. Yet those motherfuckers still join factions against me from time to time even if my dread is 100.

I am also annoyed about the holy sites thing. I’m the emperor of Italy but I’m Asatru and would love to reform it. I’m thinking about converting to Ari or Vaishnavism instead. Thoughts on that?

They are both already reformed in my game so that penalty would go which is great. The only downside I can see is that I wouldn’t be able to lock people up and ransom them as most things are just shunned and not criminal.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

DLC is good though, Norse are really fun to play.

Agreed except for the reforming their religion thing which feels a bit poo poo.

I think I put like 40 hours into base CK3 before grabbing the DLC on sale so that’s a good option.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Trevor Hale posted:

Was playing a William the Conqueror game. 8 years into his reign, I say gently caress it why not when a tiny count level ally in Central Europe asks for help in a war. I send men at arms only to go deal with it, have a large army sprung on me, get captured, and waste away in his du vein for four years before going insane of dying of a seizure. He wouldn’t ransom me because the war was ongoing, and I had an internal war to deal with.

But. But as soon as that was put down….my next king rolled in with army’s and mercs I spent money on just to prove a point and I killed every goddamn captive I could grab. In a stroke of good luck, the dude had converted to something before I got there so every execution was above board and blessed.

gently caress yeah. Love a good vengeance play!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of the character finder (and really all sorting options in the game) why the hell do they reset all the time? It’s super frustrating when you’re trying to sort marriages and have to keep switching the sort you want back every time you look at a person.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Various Meat Products posted:

Children from secondary wives are considered equally legitimate. The usual partition considerations apply here.

When does it not?

I’ve reformed Astrau and found with my current PC the kids he had with his first wife (now dead, not my doing) don’t have any claims at all. But kids with the new wife (and secondary) all are in line…?

Also has anyone noticed a bug when granting titles? I realised I had one too many duchies so I went to grant it off using my usual filter. Did that but then a minute or so later the title is still mine? Then when I go back in to grant it to someone again there are no available people in that filter despite there being like 15 the first time…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

scaterry posted:

Are you a temporal head of faith? that would explain this entire post

Indeed I am. Any tips with that?