Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

ilitarist posted:

Have I got a story for you.

Russian translation is bad. It uses very boring fonts and have numerous MISSING_TEXT and just plain mistakes. So there's a mod that fixes all of that.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2223426891

But if you read the comments it "fixes" some sexuality issues. No homosexuals or bisexuals are spawned. Asexuals are still there, 1% just like in vanilla. 99% of characters "are now normal people". Naturally there's nothing about those changes in the description, just talk about fonts and fixes.

Wow. It's hard to imagine a headspace so homophobic, a literally medieval setting isn't homophobic enough. That's absurd. If that kind of attitude didn't affect innocent people, it'd be so whacked out it was funny.

That it gets lumped in without mention in a mod whose main purpose is completely unrelated seems downright normal by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
@Kalko:

Victory conditions

No victory conditions except self-imposed ones. You may consider looking at the achievements for inspiration, some of them may be interesting. You may also find it interesting to play as a religion with unusual tenets, or perhaps challenge in playing a small religion, like the one Taoist ruler on the map in 8xx. Similarly, the Daura leader in 8xx has an event which allows her to switch to female-preference inheritance, which is also unusual. Perhaps you'd be interested in playing a culture/region you have an emotional connection to, if any. You may also find it engaging to paint the map. Vikings in the 8xx start have an easy time with that, since they donīt get opinion penalties for being at war. Perhaps try to go medieval eugenics and breed up a family of beautiful, herculean genius albinos.

Some of these goals you can try for at the same time. For example, painting the map and granting holdings to your family also helps build renown which gives you legacies to further boost your family. Don't feel like you have to play a game until 1451. If you've done what you want with a run, you can start a new game or switch to some other character that seems interesting.

Peaceful ways to gain land

Yes, but's it's usually unreliable or uncommon. There are three main ways:

1) Independents swear fealty: You may be able to convince an independent ruler to swear fealty to you. They'll still own the land in question, but will now answer to you as their liege. This requires you to have a higher rank, and is far easier if they a) are part of your de jure holdings (fx the ERE has claim to most of the Balkans south of the Danube) b) the ruler likes you c) you share religion and/or culture with their ruler d) you go down the diplomacy lifestyle and get the appropriate pick from the central tree (the one which can get you August) e) you have a far stronger military.

2) Inheritance, by luck, murder or suicide missions: It's also possible to be in line for land, and you might chance into someone dying and leaving you their stuff. If you want something that'a more reliable and/or involves you more, you can set out to murder someone and/or their heirs; but that's peaceful only in the sense that it doesn't take a war to do. If you want to have someone killed, high intrigue and/or hooks on people you can convince to be your agents will help.

Even less peaceful is the Uriah gambit: if the person you want dead is part of your realm and an adult of the appropriate gender, you might force them to be a knight and send them off in a war hoping they'll die. That's easier to do if you split off a small stack of troops and send them against a superior enemy.

3) New holdings: Finally, if you have the money you can build new holdings on empty land, the base cost is 600 gold per holding. This can make sense to do in your capital county, since all of your new holdings will benefit from Development there, and can also give bonuses to Development growth with the right buildings.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 16, 2020

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

buglord posted:

How do I use condoms in this game? 2 kids is fine, maybe 3. I don't have the heart to find ways to drown my kids either. Succession is wildly strange to me and I think kids are making it worse.

The Learning lifestyle. It can offer you a decision to become celibate, which can also be turned off later if you wish. The perk you want is Restraint, on the left, 2 perks in.

edit: If you're in a position to expand easily (such as Vikings or the ERE), you can also embrace having lots of kids and just hand out newly-conquered titles to your non-heir children like candy. They'll love you for making them the count of a saharan oasis or a tribe far-northern Sami-land, no joke.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 17, 2020

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

Thanks for this. Christ monarchies are complicated.

They are! The really crazy thing is that this is actually a simplification for gameplay purposes. IRL, the Holy Roman Empire had a bunch of people who had "Imperial Immediacy" which meant their rightful liege was in fact the Emperor, even if they were an Imperial Knight (barely a Baron in CK terms), or even the headman of an Imperial Village - yes really. When William the Bastard became King of England IRL, he remained the vassal of the King of France as the Duke of Normandy and :psyboom:

All this complexity can make for fun gameplay, but I'm sure glad Paradox simplified things just a little. Even if that means the system doesn't make much sense if, say, you want to be the Khagan of Khazaria. Or that it can't really represent some of the more out-there things, like when most of Denmark got mortgaged off to various creditors from the northern HRE.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 24, 2020

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Gaj posted:

When does menopause set in?

Also do vassals improve their holdings in any way? Like if they have enough income do they actually build poo poo to make their piddling city not suck, or do I have to do everything?

1) Menopause starts at 46. Even before that, women's fertility drops off much faster than men's. See here for more details: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Attributes#Fertility

2) They do, but you'll still end up doing the heavy lifting, and in most cases it makes more sense to invest in your own demesne. I've seen mayors improve their guilds, priests their temples etc. What they don't seem to do is prioritize buildings over all the other stuff they can spend money on.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I'm still sad that they are keeping the inheritance the same.

I don't want to keep murdering family members.
i

Are you not using the other coping mechanisms for partition? Or is it needing coping mechanisms you dislike?

If it's the first, you can also use one or more of 1) disinheriting 2) celibacy perk 3) marrying off your children later in life so they don't have as many kids 4) conquering territory you can hand off to your kids so they get less of the ancestral lands 5) not forming new kingdoms/empires (only applies when you've moved away from confederate partition) Failing those, IME it tends to be fairly easy to press your claims on your siblings, so long as you keep the oldest most developed holdings.

If it's the latter, then I don't have many good recommendations. The ERE and the Czechs have early single heir inheritance, but that rather limits the playing area.

...Hope that was actually helpful, and not just telling you stuff you already knew.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm not quite sure how, church baronies aren't really any better than castle baronies. Maybe very slightly better for taxes? Though any benefit is largely cancelled by having 4 slots in the county capital.

With Lay Clergy, your Level of Devotion improves the opinion of all your coreligionists, rather than just the clergy. The bonus maxes out at +30 opinion, which is nothing to scoff at. This means any and all sources of piety help reduce the plotting of your vassals. Church baronies have a building chain which directly boosts your piety, at the rate of 0.1/month per building level, for a max of 0.8/month per church barony.

IME, this is especially powerful when combined with Tenets which also help with vassal opinion, such as Communal Identity, Ritual Celebrations and/or Consolamentum. If you really want to double down, you can make a Temporal Religious Head and go for Consecrate Bloodline, which will give all your descendants even more opinion with co-religionists. If you luck into Witchcraft, that can also get you an extra +20 opinion with everyone you induct into the coven.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Those are pretty decent benefits, but I still don't think I'd want to hold temple holdings (unless they're county capitals, and changing the county capital doesn't seem to give the holding there 4 slots). I think I'd rather have a theocratic realm priest providing me much bigger taxes than I'd get from regular temple barons. I'll have to see in the new patch if the changes to diplomacy make opinion relevant again, I spent most of my previous runs generally maxed out on opinion for any diplomacy-focused ruler.

I think the main reason to go Lay Clergy is if you're gonna make yourself the Temporal Head of Faith with Communion, because that's just broken. Otherwise I think I'd stick to theocratic clergy for those taxes.

Well yeah, opinion bonuses is mainly useful for enabling other focuses than diplomacy. For example, I just played a game starting as Bohemia where I maxed out my tech and domain buildings by like 1250, in the process founding two religions and mending the schism. I don't think I could have done that if I'd needed to go diplomacy. Opportunity costs and all that.

How do you get the whole Communion money to work properly? I get like 10 popups about buying indulgences, but as soon as I click one the others go away.

I'll have to try playing around with theocratic vassal money. In my games so far, most of my money comes from my domain.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Red Crown posted:

I asked a few pages back if I should get this, and I'm really glad I did over CK2. It's involved enough even with these sick tooltips.

So I turned over my long, successful reign to my secondborn son because my vassals collectively chose him (Scandinavian succession)...only they all hate him. They HATE him. I think it's because he's the wrong religion for some reason? Is there any way to change that?

Also...I clicked buttons and formed a second kingdom, but I'm not an empire. Was that wise? Now my half brother is barely containing his desire to secede even though he's my heir :saddowns: (yes I'm already trying to Sway him)

1) Changing Religion: Yes, there are ways to deal with that. The easiest is to switch back, which costs a relatively small amount of piety, so that's what I'll cover here.

Go into your religion screen (in the bottom left, second button right of the stress bar). In the top right of the religion screen, beneath the fervor %, is the "Other Faiths" tab. Uncheck the box which says "Only [your religions group] faiths". Pick whatever faith you want. Your religion screen will now show that faith, and at the very bottom of the screen the button should now say "Convert to Faith". Click it, and you'll get a confirmation screen showing how many of your vassals might convert with you, and why.

2) Curbing Factions/Creating a new Kingdom: I don't know whether forming a second kingdom has an impact on willingness to secede, but opinion certainly does. Note that Befriending your half brother is more efficient than swaying, since being your Friend will outright prevent him from joining a faction - Seducing someone into being your Lover would too, but your half brother probably doesn't have a compatible sexuality (also it'd be kinda gross, but then so are arranged marriages and especially concubinage).

Creating a new kingdom is a mistake only if you have Partition or High Partition. If you do, having two kingdoms means that upon succession that kingdom will go to a second child, if any. That doesn't happen for single-heir succession (seniority/foo-geniture), obviously. For Confederate Partition it makes no difference, since the title would automatically be created on succession anyway.

However, losing a kingdom on succession needn't be a disaster, assuming your primary heir has a stronger military than their siblings. They all get pressed claims on each other, so a single war can get the kingdom back. If you've been building up your men-at-arms and/or your capital holding, you will probably be in a position to get it back.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Wait, really? That's where it is? You'd think it would be.... uh.... all the rebelling territory. That's insane.

It used to be like that in 1.0. That didn't work out either, because it meant the liege could occupy most of rebel territory and beat them in all the battles and still lose, because a timer ran down. Hard to balance right, since it should be fun whether you're playing the liege or the rebelling vassal.

Not sure I think independence wars should even be a thing. Might make more sense that a vassal could go independent if they felt like it, but the liege got a notification and a "crush revolt" CB. Can't figure out if that would be more or less fun.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

megane posted:

I've always believed that, especially in the earlier parts of the game, it should be very hard to have direct control of lands bigger than, like, a kingdom; anything else should be a semi-autonomous tributary or similar. Maybe just a duchy for tribals. Yes, that's vaguely what vassals represent, but I mean far less control than that -- more like the tributaries in CK2, where they send you some stuff but otherwise make all decisions themselves. Outlying vassals should have relatively easy paths towards peeling themselves off as such a tributary, and tributaries should be able to work towards becoming fully independent over time. But then you have High/Late Medieval techs that let you start folding tributaries back into the realm as "real" vassals.

Of course, there's a mechanic that kind of seems like it would do this, the vassal cap, but it's so huge that all it does in practice is force you to make some dukes occasionally.

If the devs can make it work and be fun, then absolutely. That's the rub though. On the few occasions the vassal cap has come up in my games, it's mostly resulted in annoying fiddling around with ducal titles. It might have potential; by the time my realm has grown large enough I'd need to hand out multiple kingdom titles, that actually does have an impact on my finances. But if they head down that route I'd hope they'd improve the UI for handling out multiple titles.

edit:

Magil Zeal posted:

My understanding is that you will be the temporal head of the faith if you create a new faith with that doctrine (and it is inherited by your primary heir if they're the right faith), but a spiritual head of faith has to be created via the religion tab (if it's not automatically created when you found the faith).

If your new faith controls less than two holy sites, the Head of Faith won't auto-spawn, whether the title is temporal or spiritual.

That came up in one of my games as the Wendish Empire, where I reformed off Orthodoxy, whose holy sites were nowhere near my realm. I ended up switching to a different variant of Christianity (catharism, I think) which had holy sites in Europe where they were more accessible.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 7, 2020

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

buglord posted:

How in the world do I raise just MAA and not levies?

When you've raised MaA, your army screen should have a button with an X which lets you cancel raising levies.

It is also possible to stop raising levies partway through, if you're still early enough in the game that levies are relevant

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
False conversions are already in the game, but it's a tenet so only some religions have it - the Krstjani and some of the Shia faiths (they call it Taqiya), for example.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah I found that at the perfect time (childless heir hitting infertility age), glad there's at least one way of if you're not sadistic or they just won't die in war (getting captured and then having to ransom them back for 500 gold sucks, not sure if other rulers execute your kids)

You do know you can just disinherit someone, right? Or have them take the vows, if your religion has monasticism.

Edit: IIUC, with Lay Clergy you also remove a child from succession if you appoint them your chaplain, though that only works so long as you don't convert to a religion with theocratic clergy. That's how it worked for me in an Ironman Hvitserk game: appoint heir as Godi, next son in line becomes heir. Convert to Catholic when Alfred the Great Holy War'd me, ex-Godi son becomes heir again.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 19, 2020

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Excelzior posted:

true but disinherit
1-is only available if you're the dynasty head, which isn't always guaranteed (hello Karling starts!)
2-slows down your dynastic progress towards bloodline perks

e: wait does it work for house head too? then you could counter 1) by just creating a cadet branch

I take your point about the dynasty head thing - checking the wiki, it seems to be specifically the Dynasty Head, and not a House Head.

2) is true, but IME a strong demesne is always more important than bloodline perks, since the perks do way, way less for your military and income. It's not much good being a Genius Herculean Beauty if you've only got a single county to work with. I find title loss to be actually easier to deal with on occasion when they result in independent realms, since a strong demesne makes it relatively easy to win sibling wars.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

buglord posted:

what perk tree does this pertain to?
Well Law has +0.2 control growth/month and +1 domain limit for the capstone, and Warfare has some similarly-minor bonuses to your military capabilities.

The point I was failing to express is this: bloodline perks (and Levels of Splendor) are win-more mechanics. They're nice to have, especially the Blood tree; but ultimately nowhere near as important as a strong military and the economy to support it.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Adventurer Issues

In the short term, making him a Friend (or Lover, if applicable) of your ruler means he can't join factions against you. That can buy you time to deal with him in a more permanent way (marriage alliance or murder). Or outlive him the natural way, if your ruler is younger/much more healthy than he is.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

CK3 (maybe only with mods?) does have Khitan and Han cultures if you want to start as Chinese in Tibet or North of Tibet, but the map pretty much stops there.

That's in vanilla. The 8xx start also has a few Taoist rulers north of Tibet, IIRC in the Tarim basin.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Lazy is also pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Compassionate is hard to deal with, especially early on where you can really make use of that extortion money to get your game going. But IME it's managable with a comping mechanism or three.