Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Welp, already have 11 hours into this and it came out less than a day ago.

Did the tutorial before switching over to Russian steppe as I normally do. 867 in Minsk is a hellhole. Everyone always wants me to come fight in their wars, and I have no time to fight any of my own. When I finally get my levies recovered, they're asking for my help again. Eventually I had to tell my allies to gently caress off so I could subjugate a neighbor and form the White Rus' kingdom.

I had the issue with vassals not filling back up too, and solved it with a bit of raiding. They still don't reach max, but they get a lot closer.

The only serious gameplay bug I've found is that if I split armies they can't be moved independently. I've tried it every way I can think of, and Army A will follow Army B, and Army B will follow Army A. However, if I manually split it by regiment, it works. Now I just need to figure out how Khazaria works so I can smash it and form Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Gavelkind continues to be the worst. Spent ten years conquering Novgorod, got rid of their idiotic "voting for a king" succession scheme, still lost it when my king died. How do I stop this from happening? My gut tells me to give it to my son, but I also don't want to lose control of it while still alive.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

How do you revoke multiple titles at once? I just put down a rebellion, have all the leaders in jail, so I have a valid reason to take them. However, it's only good once, and any revoked after that still incur tyranny. Shift + click doesn't work, and some of them are only presented one at a time, making it doubly impossible. The weird thing is, I know I did this just fine last night after a similar rebellion, which is also how I learned to always go for 100% war score on those things no matter how pressed I am.

I suppose I could just leave them in jail, but without loyal Russians who believe the same things my dad made up about 30 years ago it'll just happen again in 10-12 years.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Finished my first game starting from 867 today, it was a blast for the most part! I went from having a county or two in Minsk to an empire that spanned two continents with a ridiculous amount of power. In the space of one ruler, I reformed a religion, captured an empire and created my own, and switched to Feudalism, which loving hurt.

I got around the initial problem with having Novgorod split from White Rus' by disineriting all the kids who weren't my primary heir. It worked well, until right before the ruler died he had one last little kid and hosed the whole thing up. I didn't have enough prestige to disinherit him too, so I came up with a different plan.

To be fair, everyone hated that baby.

Through extensive conquests and marrying people off to whatever felt good, I ended up with a bunch of land in Central Europe and Scandinavia. I then converted them to Russian to raise the average development of Russian counties and help innovations. Religious conversions were a different issue, though. I ended up with a bunch of different religions on the fringes and they kept coming back across the borders or being converted by their local rulers. This led to a bunch of rebellions, and helped fuel the Independence Faction. After taking some advice from a friend, I started executing a bunch of people to build Dread and the rebellions stopped. Unfortunately, the King of Ruthenia, who hated my loving guts no matter who it was and kept returning Kabarism to the small area he controlled, never joined them so I could beat him into the ground and force his conversion.

The map just kind of solidified like this. The massive empires were pretty stable, since if one went to war against another it'd leave them vulnerable to a quick grab from the other. It wasn't particularly involving to me though, and I spent a lot of money making duchy titles during this time only to have them disappear later while my vassals fought against each other. Somehow I still hit direct vassal limit and ended up having to make kingdoms, then assign individual counties to them. Transferring vassals seems a little odd. There's a delay, but it doesn't seem to be a consistent delay like with ransoming prisoners, and would sometimes take a year or more to register it in my direct vassal limit.

The Mongols were a wet fart, which seems to be consistent with other people's games. I spent most of the early and mid-game getting ready for them, and when they finally showed up they declared an invasion on me, never showed up, and fell apart.

At one point I got tired of douxoi from the Empire declaring war on me and fought back, which caused the whole Empire to get involved. Luckily this changed the war and let me get a white peace, but it still pissed me off. So I assassinated the emperor, leading to a civil war and causing them to fall apart. Oops. But then I got a superbaby destined for greatness. I used her to strengthen the bloodline and start a huge land grab in Byzantine lands, culminating with the conquest of Constantinople itself.

This disrupted the whole system. Even though we had been comrades fighting off the Pope every time he came calling for England, the Umarids started chipping away at my ridiculous territories in England and Scandinavia, then starting coming for me. They had like 200k soldiers, there wasn't a whole lot I could do. After a couple fights, I realized their armies were all pretty low-quality, so I set about recruiting as many men-at-arms as I could manage. I was all set for a final huge confrontation to reclaim Greater Poland and test my new armies bolstered by a bunch of crossbowmen and armored horsemen, then a religious revolt from my Orthodox subjects spoiled that and the game ended. Oh well!

Here's the final map. I never got around to removing that weird lever the Byzantines have due to truce length, religious revolts, and the Umarids, and taking Yugra one duchy at a time simply did not seem worth it from a cost-benefit perspective. In general, the game seems to lead to blobs, which I'm not sure is intended. I think another playthrough or ten is warranted to verify.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

My second game, starting as Bohemia, is off to a much rougher start. Probably because I keep doing dumb poo poo like raiding immediately and getting my whole army killed. Converting to Catholicism at the first whiff of a holy war is good, though. I didn't have much uses for piety in my last game, and now I can use it to beg the pope for money.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Any idea why I can't have my spouse assist me with stuff? I don't think he has any conditions that would incapacitate him or otherwise keep him from being able to help. I specifically married him for his high Stewardship, dammit!

I tried to divorce him like I did the last time this happened in a different game, but now I'm Catholic instead of god-king of a reformed Slavic religion and the Pope won't let me.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Spouses that have titles in their own right can't assist you, they've got their own poo poo to do

Thanks! I'll either wait for him to die since he's like 30 years older than my ruler or do my best to get him killed in an upcoming war.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I've become a victim of my own success.

My Slavic Empire spans from Iceland to Tibet, but I still have lands left to conquer. However, I'm at the vassal limit, and all of my vassals with a few exceptions are kings and queens. Would it be a terrible idea to give away my last few kingdom titles, and possibly duchies, to open up more vassal slots? Is it a better idea to just eat the cumulative 5% penalty for being over the vassal limit? I've never gotten an empire quite this expansive, and I don't want to spend the next 75 years in continuous civil war.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

joepinetree posted:

2- My empire encompasses the entire mediterranean. It's huge. But the troops I raise are generally just poo poo. Most of the guides I've seen are for small kingdoms and stuff like improving your men at arms. Is there a way to make it so that my 50k person army isn't just a bunch of scrubs getting owned by much smaller forces?

I found that when you have an absolute gently caress-off huge army it's a good idea to only raise men at arms for most wars. It gets your army in the field faster, and if you've stacked building bonuses for them they can demolish levies.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

My game just threw me for a loop, but not a totally unpleasant one.

I started by making the Duchess of Minsk and marrying the unmarried, heirless Duke of Greater Poland, so that my heir would also get his duchy. I spend my reign getting the Kingdom of White Rus' and then decide to sit pretty, since I've done plenty of blobbing in the past and would now like to just see how the game goes when I'm not constantly expanding, plus I don't want to lose a run to faction shenanigans. First ruler lives to her late 70s, outliving her first kid, and when she finally passes I do indeed inherit the Duchy of Greater Poland (about a month after they lost a province in a war, but oh well).

Somehow, my new ruler converted to Judaism, which makes no sense to me, because both I and the Duke of Greater Poland were Slovanskian, and naturally my vassals weren't too pleased about that. However, this did allow me to get an alliance with Khazaria, so my vassals being displeased carried a lot less weight when I can summon huge armies for this era from just over the border. Plus, if my current ruler holds on long enough, I should be able to feudalize without having to reform my religion or convert, and I had my guardians convert my kids back to Slovanskian so they aren't perpetually facing uprisings. And I got a unit of Horse Archer MaAs, so now I need to figure out how to make them into killing machines, or whether I should even keep them around instead of going all-in on Druzhina. The only downside is that no one will voluntarily be vassalized by me since I'm of a different faith, but hey, can't have it all.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

It's almost 1300. Minsk is one of the most developed cities in the world, on par with Rome, Constantinople, and Cordoba. The Russian Empire stretches from Poland to Siberia, and spans the land between White and Black Seas. My court is second only to that of Izbaniya's, and the Krivichi house is known to all. I defeated the Mongol invasions, and the reformed Slovanskian religion is nearly as omnipresent as Catholicism.

Naturally, this is my house rival:

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I decided to see what happens if you play a feud out all the way. I have no idea who Dobronega was or why she was killed, but it's not like I have anything I absolutely have to take care of at this point, so I can afford to murder randos as much as I please:

I'm pretty sure "Capable House" is a big bonus to Dread and Hostile Schemes, though I don't remember exactly what.

Within the same ruler's life, the pope decided to call for a crusade in Hungary:

I'm honestly surprised by the fact the AI did this at all, and by the balance of forces, since I've put off several crusades against Catholic nations because I was sure I'd lose.

The AI still can't handle crusades very well though, and I'm able to give up ground for time to hold them off.

Maybe focus on Jerusalem next time, losers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

If you want to see how effective MaA stacking is, here's a shot of what my +250% effectiveness Druzhina did to the entire Bavarian army.