Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What determines how much stress you get from the "good" choices in Education events?

Like hell I'm picking any of these when they are giving me 60 stress a pop

There's some base value of stress attached so the "good" choice isn't just a no-brainer and has some push-pull on it. If there's a further modifier due to your personality, it'll say "you gain 36 stress because you're Shy" or whatever right on the tooltip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Bussamove posted:

Extremely noob question incoming because this is my first CK and holy crap. Apologies.

I continued the Irish tutorial dynasty because it seemed like a good way to get my bearings and worry about a somewhat small goal to start (get counties, establish Kingdom of Ireland), but I wanted to straighten out something in my brain. If I get the last county I need for the Kingdom, will that make it easier to bring the other Irish counties under my rule without fabricating claims and then going to war because I’m their De Jure ruler? I see the option to suggest they become my vassal but there’s always huge penalties to it because of that. I suppose I could manipulate the succession lines to get them too but that involves figuring that poo poo out and one thing at a time.

You'll still usually have to go to war, you just get to skip waiting around for claims to fabricate since you have a real claim by virtue of being the proper king over everybody

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

TorakFade posted:

The constant revolts in southern Iberia are a huge pain in the rear end. Converting them takes about one lifetime per county (30-35 years) and I have like 15 of them. Like clockwork, every couple of years they rise up with their 3 to 4 levy-only armies of 4k guys each that I utterly crush with my quality armies full of men at arms, knights and good generals.

My strat after I realized how long they take to convvert passively was to make sure I sieged down every holding in every war to get and hold onto any adult male prisoners of the Muslim flavor you're conquering. Once you have a freshly taken county, release one with the conditions that they are recruited and have a hook. Then you give them the county and immediately force them to convert to Catholicism with the hook. When they do, they will automatically bring the whole county with them as well.

I'd do that with all but one of the counties in a duchy, then give the last county and the duchy title to someone from my dynasty so that they are the only one I directly deal with.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

TorakFade posted:

Oh and a tiny outbreak of the bubonic plague erupted around 1150 in my realm, severely culling the family tree (which ain't so bad, I had way too many siblings and the one guy that survived it was actually one of the best and it's my current character)

I got the big scary "the plague has appeared" event popup when my bishop contracted it, he died fast and then it never spread a single other person in my realm as far as I could notice. He was a pretty crummy bishop that I would probably have murdered anyways. Thanks, the plague!

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

cheesetriangles posted:

My game crashes all the time seems to happen at moments when something bad happens to me for some reason. Can't explain it.

I did this once and then the cloud state state got screwed up and now I have to manually copy around and load the backup every time or else the game loads into the same old one in 1180 no matter what.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you murder plot against a sibling, do you still get the stress penalty when they die?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Chewbot posted:

That explains why I had three generations of the same bloodline constantly harrassing me. I thought I was crazy, that I must have remembered the names wrong. Funny thing is, I have no memory of what I did to the first guy. The ultimate insult.

Very good "for me, it was Tuesday" vibes

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Arbite posted:

Wouldn't those all turn off achievements?

All except for Brighter Progress Bars, yes. But not everyone cares about achievements, especially on Steam where it's totally trivial to unlock them so they don't really convey any bragging rights or anything

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I tried that and my list just isn't updating at all.

The only save that's showing is the cloud save for my current ironman game which is from last night. It's at 19 September 1013. I loaded it up, let it run for a few seconds so that it was 30 Sept 1013 and saved it.

Loaded it back up and it's 19 September 1013.

This happened to me too and seems to be fairly common. Something where the remote cloud save status gets corrupted and the file stops updating, so every time you load that slot it downloads the same save. The workaround is to go to your Documents/Paradox/CK3 folder and there will be a "last_save.ck3" file that is the autosave created when you exit that was supposed to be uploaded as the new cloud save, but wasn't. Move that into the "save games" folder in the same directory (create it if not there yet) and then when you launch the game you can manually load it from the Load Game menu. You basically have to do this every time you quit from now on, I don't know that there's any way from the client side to unfuck the cloud save itself

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The HRE finally shattering after 200 years, combined with I assume some weird inheritance chains, resulted in this single Duke having three different duchy titles controlling counties spread all across Europe in what must be the most dispersed holdings of a single ruler I've seen so far. NSFL if you hate bordergore:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you culture convert?

It's a Decision, I think the only requirement is that your culture is different from that of your realm capital county

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How does the "university" bonus get determined anyway? Do you need to have one in your personal holdings or just in your realm?

The check is:

code:
#University?
if = {
	limit = {
		scope:ward.host = {
			any_realm_province = {
				has_university_building_trigger = yes
			}
		}
	}
	scope:ward = {
		add_character_flag = {
			flag = studying_at_university
			years = 11
		}
	}
}

So if "any_realm_province" does what it sounds like, it should be anywhere within the realm of the assigned guardian. Notably though, the flag is only good for 11 years, so if you assign the guardian before the kid is 5, it will wear off before it would trigger when they turn 16...

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Synnr posted:

Anywho, does anyone know what the deal is with the sayyid trait? I used to use captured carriers in ck2 as concubines to breed it into my line, but it doesn't seem to be the same in ck3. Is it a house abassid only thing?

It's set to "parent_inheritance_sex = male" in the code, so it only has patrilinear inheritance. It's actually the only trait in the whole file that uses that flag, fun fact.

Broken Cog posted:

Can you even assign guardians before they are 6?

Whenever my future heir is first born I immediately assign myself as their guardian just to make sure and it lets me do it at age 0.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Broken Cog posted:

Guardians don't really come into play until 6 though, since that's when education starts. Maybe the university check is run then?

Far as I can tell, the flag placement happens immediately "on_accept" of the guardianship assignment, which is immediately since it's auto-accepted when you are assigning yourself as the guardian of someone in your court like your kids. And the precondition for that assignment is just "is_adult = no", no minimum age. I think it's just a bug.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

How are u posted:

Thank you!

e: hmm, I can't seem to figure out how to disable cloud save for an already in progress ironman game, since there is no access to the Save menu.

I don't think you can, or at least I couldn't figure out any way to. I had to start doing this manual save moving workaround every time to continue the cloud-save ironman game:

Hargrimm posted:

This happened to me too and seems to be fairly common. Something where the remote cloud save status gets corrupted and the file stops updating, so every time you load that slot it downloads the same save. The workaround is to go to your Documents/Paradox/CK3 folder and there will be a "last_save.ck3" file that is the autosave created when you exit that was supposed to be uploaded as the new cloud save, but wasn't. Move that into the "save games" folder in the same directory (create it if not there yet) and then when you launch the game you can manually load it from the Load Game menu. You basically have to do this every time you quit from now on, I don't know that there's any way from the client side to unfuck the cloud save itself

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I've also noticed one of the mods changing it so nudity happens at ages 16 and up instead of 18 (or 19?) and up like default. I THINK it's the enhanced barber one where you can pose characters and stuff. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that it's something they broke accidentally. Depending on how its coded, it seems like something that'd be easy to do when making mods for certain things.

Yep, in the defines file:
code:
	PORTRAIT_MALE_ADULT_AGE = 18	# The boy -> male portrait change happens at this age
	PORTRAIT_FEMALE_ADULT_AGE = 18	# The girl -> female portrait change happens at this age
The Fullscreen Barbershop mod changes both of those to = 0

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

toasterwarrior posted:

Does this only affect the end education result or does it have a chance of adding that weird Shrewd trait which I rarely see but I'm told can only appear during education?

The only thing a university does is the massive bonus to the end education result and a 2% chance to get the Drunkard trait immediately upon becoming an adult.

As far as I can tell, the only controllable ways to get the Shrewd trait are as a random outcome of the "Seek Aid of the Spirits" decision available to certain religions, or as a result of your spouse's tutelage during a child's education. In order for that education event to trigger though, the spouse has to have over 18(!) Learning AND be assigned to the "Patronage" councilor activity (the one that boosts your Learning). I don't think I've ever used that one as it's generally more immediately useful to have higher Diplomacy to make people like you or higher Stewardship to have a bigger domain or whatever, so that's probably why it's so rare to encounter.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ugh that was exactly what I wanted to use it for

My next heir fought a brutal war after succession where even teleporting MAA weren't enough to stop 35 vassals from getting together to form a doomstack.

Even though I won, the Revoke Title options are always blocking me from revoking duchies "Because it will leave them without land" yes that's the point game

I should probably just see what happens if I max out dread and tyranny

My first foray into modding is this mod which addresses this issue. If your vassals go so far as to take up arms and try to depose you by force, it doesn't make sense that the extent of punishment you're allowed to dole out is revoking ONE title. So the mod makes it so that revoking from a defeated treasonous vassal doesn't consume your title revocation reason, so you can do it as many time as you want and take all their counties so then you can also take the duchy.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Popoto posted:

Two questions:

- Anyone knows where the event for the sinful priest is in the game files? I wouldn't mind toning it down a bit manually until we get a patch. I know there are mods but they usually change a lot of other things I don't really want with this. Also I'd like to do it my way.

- I heard there's a bug with the good events for councillors making them not fire? What was it? Is that something else that's easily fixable?

1. It's in events/religion_events/fervor_events.txt right at the top.

2. In events/councillor_task_events/chancellor_task_events.txt the positive events (chancellor_task.2101, 2102, 2103) have as part of the trigger requirement "diplomacy < high_skill_rating" so that actually good characters will never have them fire. Obviously easily fixable by just overriding the task with the trigger conditional flipped.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Owning baronies as you primary domain is great because revoking them from those auto-generated minor nobles doesn't count as tyranny or anything, so if your domain limit fluctuates between rulers, you can just totally freely hand them out or revoke them as needed whenever. So I just have 2 relatively small duchies but with the capital county of each packed full of castles that I own. If I get a really lovely Stewardship ruler I can temporarily scale down to only 7 domain holding and then back up to 11 with my next ruler without ever pissing off any vassals that matter

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Wow converting counties is a huge pain in the rear end now huh. I formed Portugal, united the Spanish thrones, conquered all of Iberia (except for a couple of French/HRE counties), formed Hispania, consecrated my bloodline, but each county conversion takes like 15-20 years and my vassals are not pulling their weight. It’s not even 1200 yet and I’m not sure I can convert all these counties before 1453.

Sounds like it's too late for you now, but the One Weird Trick to converting counties speedily is to take as many unlanded male captives of the enemy religion as possible during the war. Then release them from prison in exchange for Recruit and a Hook (NOT conversion yet). Then give them the county you just took and THEN use the hook to demand conversion. They will almost always accept and when they do if their religion matches that of the county, the whole county will instantly convert as well.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

shut up blegum posted:

Oh wow, my heir was super bad and I was the target of 3 wars at once so I just killed myself lol. All casus belli became invalid and my new heir was better anyway.
Then I had a giant brainfart. My sister of whatever is the queen of Ireland and she has a claim on the kingdom of Scotland (=me). When she pressed her claim, I thought, hmmm, would be neat to play as her, she has 2 kingdoms. And I surrendered :negative:
For some reason I figured I'd get to play as her. Instead I became a count instead of a king lmao

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I was kind of bummed to discover the University of Salamanca gets put in the bishopric of that county, so I don't actually get any of the special benefits from it whatsoever. I would have to create my own bespoke heresy of Catholicism just to be able to take that holding I guess...

Well at least I got the "the Scholar" title for sponsoring the construction of the school I'll never own.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not convinced it does anything if you hold it yourself anyway. I'm currently holding Padua just so I personally own the university, and if it that's doing anything the game certainly isn't tell me.

I mean just the building itself has effects like +1 Learning per level of prestige. You should be able to hover over your Learning stat and see the bonus there from your domain. The main draw though is that if you have the university in your holdings, any children that you directly educate will get a huge bonus to progress that almost guarantees the 4-star trait at the end. Now if I want to get that benefit I would have to hand over the kid to my realm priest to educate, losing control over their personality traits.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I'm kinda tempted to really dive into modding now, it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to enhance the University experience in particular. Something like anyone in the same overall realm as the holder of the actual University building could pay a fee to the holder in exchange for getting the education bonus for their ward, without needing to hand them over entirely. Maybe an opinion requirement.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Zig-Zag posted:

I knew about the first one and no luck. Second one I am on Xbox pass will it still work?

The local backup is at Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\last_save.ck3, you can copy that into the "save games" folder and then load it from the main menu. There's no way to disable cloud saves mid-stream with Gamepass as far as I can tell, so you'll have to manually copy the autosave file every time you quit the game.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It's something like the lose weight decision drops 4 weight units every 3 years but a single feast adds 8 every time, whether you hold it or are just invited to someone else's. So it's a real uphill battle

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you really want to spread your dynasty around the whole world and not just Europe, being on the far west edge of the map will limit your actions due to diplomatic range though.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

wologar posted:

Are the "starting as ruler X" achievements still broken? I did Re-conquista and Sibling rivalry in 1.0 and the update didn't recognize them retroactively. :(

Can't be done retroactively

Meneth posted:

If we could've fixed it retroactively, we would've. Problem is the necessary info for it quite simply does not exist in pre-1.1 saves.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
If you happen to get a character with exactly 70-1 in any skill, hover over it for a good description after the latest patch

Looks like they still didn't fix the very simple bug where positive Chancellor events will never fire for actually good Chancellors. Literally the check is for "diplomacy < high_skill_rating", as in LESS THAN a high skill. In all the other councillor files the checks are properly like "stewardship > mediocre_skill_rating"

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Trevor Hale posted:

Wasn’t there a view that showed a list of all of your characters and their eulogy screen? Like, you could scroll back and see what the game said about them? Am I misremembering?

If you click the ... in the bottom right to the left of the date display, one of the options is for that, "Lineage" I think it's called. Although I think it just shows the character portrait and some stats, not the generated textual eulogy thing determined by their traits.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Picked this game back up for the first time in a long while, since before the Norse flavor pack. Decided to try out a tribal for the first time and it is crazy how easy it is to expand with big vassal contribution and no-requirement CBs.

However, I just did the once in a lifetime Kingdom subjugation thing on England, taking 15ish counties all at once... and they're all Feudal. I can't re-Tribalize them or anything right? Anyone I appoint to govern one instantly turns Feudal themselves and then gets a permanent -40 malus against me on top of everything else. Am I just gonna have to deal with the whole country hating my guts until I can get the North Sea Empire decision to Feudalize the whole realm?

Fortunately though, nearing the end of my first ruler's life I am pretty well set up to form it with his son. I'm 2 counties away from forming England and just 1 away from Denmark (so they don't get formed automatically and handed out at succession) so it should hopefully be pretty straightforward to finish those off early and then spend the 30 year waiting period getting the misc other counties in the de jure region.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Also, it is the description text or the effect itself that's the bug here? I would expect that "Forder" would only really affect crossing rivers, but they go out of their way in the text to include "when disembarking from ships" while the advantage penalty is definitely very much still there.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
I had everything set up for my heir to inherit all 3 kingdoms at once and be on the path to form the North Sea Empire... then about a year before succession I found out he got cancer. So much for that plan, right?

I went hard into Learning and everything else that gave any kind of health boost and managed to stave off the disease for over 30 years, with just a leg lost in the process. Married off one of my kids just to snag the best court physician I could find, totally worth it. Quite a stressful wait though, especially as he inherited pretty late, so needed to live to 68 just to fulfill the 30-year term of each kingdom. And the succession trick I used wouldn't have worked twice so if he had died at least one kingdom would have had to be reclaimed by the next heir which would make it take even longer. I really don't understand how succession works when factoring in elective titles, it seems like it just gives up if you have a mix of elective and normal top-level titles and ignores the whole partition thing altogether.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

PittTheElder posted:

When you have a mix of both they're handled separately. The parition ones will be doled out first according to the normal rules (and as if the elective ones didn't exist) and then the elective ones go to whoever wins the election.

That's what I would expect, but it's definitely not how it always actually works. Here's the exact situation I had set up for the heir after conquering everything with his dad (Fairhair):

Norway, Sweden, Denmark (elective kingdoms)
England (enough counties held to form, but not formed since I knew I wouldn't win election there as it was newly conquered)
Two duchies and all counties within (all inside Norway)

With this setup, what happened is that England was automatically formed at succession and granted to my primary heir. The electives all went to the election winner (also my heir). That all makes sense. What doesn't is that something about this situation completely got rid of partition for all my lower level holdings. Both duchies and all 7 counties within went un-divided to my heir, and all their siblings got squat.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

scaterry posted:

Norway being an elective title causes all dejure titles (and vassals, I think?) to be inherited with it. So the duchies/counties under Norway were protected from partition. It's a common trick done with elective duchies, since those elections are easier to rig

The issue I'm running into now is that if I make the North Sea Empire also elective, then suddenly this 'trick' stops working. All of my holdings are in the dejure Empire, as well as within dejure Kingdoms for which my heir is also the elected heir, but now partition is in full effect regardless. No idea why that is. Oh well, at least when keeping the Empire non-elective and Kingdoms elective, it then works as primogeniture as long as I can get all the sub-kingdoms to elect my same firstborn. We'll see!

One other thing I noticed with election fuckery, was wondering why some random electors had a "He is evil: -25" penalty on voting for my heir, even back when he was a 2 year old infant. That's a pretty significant malus, 10 points greater than being a Lunatic or Possessed! Turns out it by "evil" it means "has one of a broad set of traits that could possibly be described as unpleasant". Specifically:

code:
has_trait_malicious_trigger = {
	OR = {
		has_trait = deceitful
		has_trait = arbitrary
		has_trait = callous
		has_trait = sadistic
		has_trait = vengeful
		has_trait = rowdy
	}
}
The specific trait my heir has is Vengeful, which is even a virtue to Asatru, so it's doubly stupid for Danish counts to consider it such a negative.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

binge crotching posted:

I made a big effort post about it a few months back, but basically the short version is that having multiple top level elective titles causes every title that is dejure under them go to the chosen heir. So when you had two kingdoms with elective, and all the land you owned was within those kingdoms, if both titles went to the same heir they received everything. Now that you have an empire you only have one top level title, so it went back to normal partition.

So what I'm hearing is that I just need to get a second empire so I can have multiple elective top level titles again...

On a completely unrelated note, if I were to randomly find out that some war captive I took 15 years ago is now the heir to a kingdom and I assassinate the king, will he inherit while still in prison and can I then go to war and win completely for free?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Found another bug to be aware of. If you have either your steward raising development or your marshal raising control in a county in a saved game, when you load the game it appears that their BASE skill is somehow used to set the monthly progress they make and it won't update until you set them on another task and then back. So your godlike 30 stewardship guy is only having the effect of the 8 stewardship that are his absolute base before education, traits, etc. Randomly saw it reported on the official forums and did some digging, I'm 95% sure that's what's happening, something to do with the order scripts are executed during the process of loading a game. If you've had your steward just untouched raising development in your capital forever, over the course of many saves and loads, you have definitely wasted a whole lot of potential growth.

Before:

After:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Freudian slippers posted:

Thanks! Is it possible to change county inheritance laws as well? I would have thought that'd be covered by the duchy's law. Also, why was this not a problem before I founded the empire?

You can look at my posts from a couple weeks ago where I had the exact same problem and the replies to me. Basically the way elective works seems to break once you get to empire level primary title. Below that, whoever wins the election will also inherit every lower title within the dejure territory of the elective title. Elected king of England gets every county within England's borders. But once you add a top level empire to your realm, for some reason that stops happening for the lower titles and all holdings at any level are subject to individual partition. I guess it's a bug, unless the free "bundling" of titles is actually a bug itself, as I never could find any text in the game explaining why that happens as a benefit of a title being elective.

No Pants posted:

YMMV if they've patched it since I last played with these laws, but the way elective works in CK3, your partition laws start to take effect if you have only one top-level title with an elective succession law. Removing the elective law from your empire will/should give you the inheritance behavior you had before.

95% sure I tried this and it didn't change anything, I can double check tomorrow though. I am 100% sure though that I first noticed the bundling happening with my first and at the time only Kingdom title, Norway, as I put that to elective early just to see how succession would be affected before I had territory to form any other kingdoms and was very pleasantly surprised to see that it kept all my holdings together for some reason.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
The number is hard-coded to top out at 5, so something is definitely weird there.

00_defines.txt posted:

# The number of vassals that are considered 'powerful' depending on the primary title tier (unlanded, baron, count, duke, king, emperor)
NUM_PER_TIER = { 0 0 3 4 5 5 }

I suspect your assumption of the France title transferred the associated powerful vassals of it directly to you on top of those of your existing realm, and they would have only lasted until whatever polling frequency is associated with the task of re-evaluating the Powerful Vassals list at an interval. Same way it often takes a month or so for you to regain the culture or house head title upon succession as your holdings aren't included in the most recent pre-succession check of the numbers.