Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I don't know if I can bear to play as anyone except beloved Tutorial Ireland :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I was going to say much what Gamerofthegame said; CK3 has a great deal of CK2 to build on, curating ideas that were good, ditching things that were bad, refining things that were clumsy. Imperator didn't really ever figure out what it actually wanted to be. CK3 knows exactly what it wants to be, which one presumes helps focus development choices.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Watched Proud Bavarian's video and gently caress this game looks good. I'm ready as all hell.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Anno posted:

Yeah that’s my favorite so far, too. It was a nice little story paced pretty well over 20 minutes.

Towards the end I realized I hadn’t looked at his character in awhile, and when he popped up to select a lifestyle perk I was momentarily taken aback by how much he had aged since I last saw him. It was oddly affecting.

I had the same reaction! Healthy young Achilles of Bohemia and then suddenly as he's achieving his goal we see that this is an aged man, who has been worn down by the years.

domtop amazon queen run confirmed

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Torrannor posted:

I'm very optimistic about CK3.

This is a real good post, except for the downside that it has increased my hype a lot and I am getting extremely impatient.

The advice for the goon who asked about what makes the game click is good btw. My favourite CK2 games have almost all been stemming from having a plausible objective for my region, religion, etc., and role-playing according to traits and stuff. That's how you lean into the strength of the game, which is telling stories and RPing, and you end up 250 years later with a hatred for some rival dynasty that exceeds any hate you feel IRL and you take increasing drastic and self-sabotaging measures to loving end them until it gets into full Shakespearean Tragedy territory.

The other thing to remember is outside of actually losing your last holding or dying without an heir a defeat is never a game over, and you will have a long long time to claw your way back to your rightful place.

E; One of my favourite playthroughs was me starting as some absolute podunk count in Wales and working to unify Wales, gain influence in Ireland and Scotland, and curtail and roll back English power. By the end we had an empire of England and half of France, and dynasty members on the thrones of Jerusalem, Denmark, three or four Byzzie emperors before getting deposed, and rotating on and off the Spanish throne every few months because Iberia was absolutely unable to stabilise. But all of this was over the course of nearly a millennium, and each stage was a far smaller thing, with almost everything that was outside France and the Isles (and the Crusades) being the result of diplomacy, marriage, plots, etc..

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 28, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

One small touch that might be neat in the future is if your noble is doing different things depending on their focus. Family man is playing with his kid, martial man is training, theology man is praying, etc. I guess it could include traits too, gluttony man is having a feast or whatever.

Probably a lot of work for little benefit but I think it would be cute and would humanize your mans further :)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DurosKlav posted:

Why does Tuesday have to be so far away? This wait is painful.

I feel your pain, my friend, I truly do. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's 4am, which means it's tomorrow, which means CK3 is now officially out (the new) tomorrow.

I'm ready.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LordMune posted:

With a tem outta :tem: from IGN, I consider the stain on my reputation that is their 6.3 review of Stellaris erased.

edit: there u go

I didn't think your reputation was stained because Stellaris is still my favorite and I have over 2000 hours in it :shobon: That first fact may change though given what these reviews of CK3 are saying :eyepop:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Dramicus posted:

It could be just chance, but I remember there was a big jump in quality from Paradox when CK2 was released. CK2 was also a bit of a watershed moment too.

I remember the same, there definitely felt like a big step from pre- to post- CK2 games; compare something like Darkest Hour to Hearts of Iron IV, and whatever you say about the gameplay and AI issues Stellaris certainly doesn't lack for polish in presentation. And I remember how ubiquitous crashing was back in the day, for another example, whereas crashes now are pretty much only caused IME by mods not playing nice with each other. On the CK series in particular it seems especially fitting that CK3 looks like it's being received so well, given that 2 seems to be the thing that really made their name in the broader gaming world and was their biggest release until EU4 (IIRC).

Anno posted:

OPB mentioned towards the beginning of his stream that at least some of the big mod teams had received early access to the game, which is nice to see.

That's pretty cool, I know they've done similar with patches and I think the occasional DLCs before, but with an actual new game it's both nice that they can start figuring things out a little earlier but also a nice little bonus for them to get it a little ahead of schedule, kind of a thank you for how much modding contributes to Paradox games :unsmith:

These kind words don't mean I am forgiving the absence of Vicky III though, there's only one way to resolve that grudge. :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Watching OPB's stream from earlier, I like that you can now choose in options faster or slower culture and religious conversions

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Spent the day fondly saying farewell to CK2. Cranked out most but not all of the cosmetics for 3, and then played a little After the End.

Just taking a moment to think of the scope of the game today, especially compared to at release, kind of blows the mind. Almost a millennium, numberless characters, dozens of religions and heresies, hundreds of cultures, feudal, republic, tribe, nomads, from Iceland to Mali to Siberia to India, artifacts, great wonders or whatever they're called, more events than I can begin to count that range from "you're a werewolf" to "you're being followed by a stray cat" (Which only today did I learn could if you give it away at your spouse's behest lead to you and the adopter later bonding over your mutual love of cats :swoon:), and that's without installing one single mod.

One of the last things that happened before I closed the game was me, trying to seduce some commoner to have babby, asking her friend to help me hook up with her.

Her friend was my wife.

What a wonderful end to CK2 for me :allears:

And now we get to do it all over again in a game that by all accounts is even better. Here's to another 8 1/2 years friend goons. Hopefully with more bonkers invasions from beyond than ever!

o7

e; The Pants Act is going to be incredible with nudity in the game :gowron:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 9, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jesus these last minutes are killing me

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Downloading and I will be playing within a couple of minutes :woop:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

*Hacker voice*

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

yorkinshire posted:

It looks like they put a large effort into exactly this.

Yeah I'm going through it now to see what's different, and it looks very good and detailed.

Also the tutorial has you playing in Ireland :laugh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Started as Halfdan Whiteshirt, played for uhhhh looks like 8 straight hours, ended up defeated and landless after a century when I got spitroasted for religious reasons by Scotland and Anjou and then pounced on for what remained after my armies were shattered.

This game loving owns

SubNat posted:

Yeah, goddamn the 800-s start is such a blood churn. :allears:

Britain was a Thunderdome on an absolutely epic scale, I don't think the island had actual peace for a full year, it was just a constant set of invasions, counter-invasions, Norse invasions, dynastic squabbles, Scotland trying to fight the Norse and getting fully bodied because I had great terrain for the defensive, countries exploding when the ruler died, over and over, it was incredible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DurosKlav posted:

Shy is the worst trait ever, never take shy, do whatever you can to get rid of shy or you will suffer! Everything gives you stress with the drat trait, even inviting champions to court.

Social anxiety sim of the year

Also I haven't had much trouble with AI allies, they've either stuck with my army directly or rushed over to a fight ASAP.

TBIEGS posted:

Some big mod creators got early access to the game,i think.

Yeah AFAIK some did, so they were more or less ready to go the second it released. Still impressed that any teams managed to put together things as big as the VTM and bronze age and Sunset Invasion mods in time though, pretty cool

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a way to customize your ruler at the start now, or is that feature gone?

It's gone for now but I have seen a lot of people acting like it's going to returning, but I don't know if that's assumption or confirmed by Paradox.

Btw on levies not refilling, be aware that the big number on your military screen includes any special troops you have, like the ones Halfdan starts with in Jorvik; the thing is these stacks don't reinforce so you can be sitting there after a few big battles wondering why you can't get above like 1100 out of your supposed total of 5800 troops or whatever. You also can't delete the special units, I eventually had them worn down to like 5 mans each so I raised only them and walked them into a big enemy stack, once they got wiped out entirely they vanished from the military screen and my troop total was accurate.

Really missed some opportunities because I thought recovering manpower just took an insanely long time and didn't want to start a war at what looked to be under 20% strength

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I have to say the fact that they took my haphazard ideas of dealing with secrets and using them for leverage that I posted in a CK2 thread years and years ago and made something this good from it is just :discourse: to me.

I think I deserved a free advance copy, but eh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

The visit Brothel decision just dropped my stress by 90 :eyepop:

e; Of course it gave me a venereal disease, those harlots :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Quick question, is there any way to gain more lifestyle experience outside of the monthly tick and some of the events? Like, can I get Martial by commanding armies or anything?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Magil Zeal posted:

You get a % bonus from your Education trait.https://twitter.com/pikestaff/status/1301164792569188354. The Alexandrian Catechism tenet gives another +25% lifestyle exp. The commission epic decision from the August tree can sometimes give you lifestyle exp in various different lifestyles (not just diplomacy), though it seems random and you can't commission epics very often. I'm sure there are other ways but those are what I've encountered off the top of my head.

Oooh now that one I did not know about! Very nice, thanks :D

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

My heir ended up wearing this complete face mask and now that I am him, when I see him in menus and stuff it always says "This is you, allegedly" and I'm losing my mind like am I an imposter?? Did I kill and take the place of the real Domnall?! This is so wild lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ninjahedgehog posted:

I think it's just a joke, my dude recently got Melancholy and that text says "This is you, but it really doesn't feel like it anymore" :(

Aw :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Aye Doc posted:

boy I tell ya what, nothing stings like your own wife saying "I don't like you that way" when you try to seduce her and add a little spice to your marriage

Absolutely brutal :laffo:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

justdan posted:

Can't finish the tutorial. 'Use Find Spouse, select one, then click Send Proposal'...

Except there isn't any Send Proposal button in sight...

Or am I being really dumb and missing something super obvious?

Had the same problem, what you have to do is left click on the blank area between the traits and their skills, still inside the highlighted box.

Also, if anyone was wondering whether this is an authentic successors to CK2, I had just managed to engineer my genius grand-nephew to having the votes needed to become Tanist and was ready to succeed my old rear end self as High King of Ireland, and of course a few months later he is my sole named death (OR injury for that matter e; I lie, a couple of others got minor wounds it seems, but I wasn't informed) in a combat we won effortlessly. :negative:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

BIG HAIRY SCOTTISH

BASTARRRRRDDDSSSSSSSS

I swear to Irish Christ I'm going to have this entire lineage killed and I don't care that it's in the same dynastic tree as me

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Big pro tip: Alliances will make or break you. I went from being hideously mauled by Scotland and -68% warscore to smashing their armies utterly and now sieging them down to nothing, all because I took some secondary wives and sent out some random kids of cousins and whatnot to make alliances. Immediately called them, and they take some time to arrive, but now that they have I've been rolling a 10k doomstack around pushing Alba's poo poo in with contempt.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Communist Thoughts posted:

where does the AI get troops from? it was a thing in CK2 as well.
I'm slowly occupying this tiny guys territory but he keeps sending armies at me that can kill mine cause they eventually get low from attrition

There are quite a few sources of troops, including:

Domain levies, the regular peasant dipshits that come from holdings. These replenish over time but can be greatly accelerated by a good Marshal set to the appropriate task in the Court screen.
Men-at-arms, professional troops who fight better and are bought/maintained with prestige, not gold, so smaller realms can often still field a number of them. They replenish pretty fast.
Mercenaries, if they have the gold.
Any allies they might have, who themselves have access to all their own sources of troops.
Some characters get special event troops, I have no idea of an exhaustive list and they tend to get worn down to nothing over the years because they typically don't reinforce, but for example Jorvik starts with something like 5000 special troops which is an incredible benefit to Halfdan for a long while. I don't know if there are events like the ones in CK2 where you can randomly get extra troops of this type, but it's possible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Frida Call Me posted:

Tribals buy them with prestige, feudal buys them with gold.

Oh huh I did not know that, thanks for telling me, otherwise I'd bankrupt myself the moment I feudalize lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Trying to throw Scotland into absolute chaos by having my 21 spymaster constantly searching for secrets, and simply revealing every single thing I find. I'm hoping that everyone having scandals and negative opinions of each other and stuff as a result will cause some real ructions.

Ireland is called Tutorial Ireland because in the early CK2 days especially, it was a great place to begin to learn the game; the 1066 start here may be likewise, but the Great Heathen Army era is another matter because there will be a billion Vikings coming to try and take your poo poo, the English powers will as well, to say nothing of Scotland when they get themselves largely unified. In 1066 there are fewer powers around to interfere, the Vikings are mostly Christianized and much less aggressive, England has a good chance to be very weakened by the war or by falling apart after someone wins, the Scots are still bastards.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

He did what

So I guess in the right circumstances champions are insanely OP

And finally, the greatest love poem of the century;

I love this game so much :allears:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Extremely pro strat if you're not a religion that is dominant in your region: Abduct kings and emperors and negotiate their release by forcing them to convert. Then you get people around you start converting stuff and making your faith stronger, and/or the realm in question starts getting real upset because of the religious divisions. Either way, very funny.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Glass of Milk posted:

My steward, who is unmarried, was having an affair with my spymaster, who is unmarried. This apparently is a Secret that gives you a hook on them. I'm not sure why

Fuckin' out of wedlock.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gobblecoque posted:

Huh? An enemy army moved my capital but couldn't siege it because the garrison had more men. Cool! Maybe for one war I don't have the annoying army micro dance. So I go one sieging his capital. Except a month later somehow my garrison lost ~100 men and now he's halfway to taking my capital. I have no idea how that happened.

Probably an event during the siege like desertion or running out of food. They don't pop up like they did in CK2 but as far as I can tell something similar is in place.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Thanks to the Emperor of France going Irish Christian, my bespoke faith that I started as a lovely Irish chieftain is now the second-largest branch of Christianity in the world, after Orthodoxy. The Pope has now mounted two successful crusades for Britain over this, and both times it has lasted exactly as long as it takes for the person they install to die, because the successor has gone "Actually, Irish Christianity rules, I'm converting" :laugh:

I take back my complaint on Discord about the Pope targeting us before the Muslims who held Rome, clearly we were actually the greater threat and he somehow foresaw that when nobody else did.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

That top level dynasty perk that prevents an assassination on a dynasty member is a trap, it will gently caress over all your plans and make you have to perform the plot twice

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I think Ghenghis might be bugged because he showed up, got into a war with his immediate neighbor, and sat there for years until the other guy won because of warscore ticking. Big T had like 20k troops, his opponent had 600.

Now he's Count Temujin 'The Foolish' lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There's going to be some trouble in Russia tomorrow. If dad had managed to live maybe three more years he'd have had time to grab the last few duchies needed to form Rus, but instead the realm has exploded and there's going to have to be stabbings and wars. I was elected to three of the five kingdoms though, and the other two went to two different people, so I have the advantage. If only my stats weren't rancid.

E; I think part of it is that currently the inheritances are not working in a coherent and/or sensible way. It's one thing for the realm to be divided up, it's another for it to make you King but give you some random duchy at the arse end of the realm with a farmer and his three sheep as your source of soldiers and income.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 7, 2020