Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mantis42 posted:

Well, was she hot?

Post/avatar combo for the ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Does anyone know if you have to unlock the Monarch's Journey rewards before CK3 comes out?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

When does the stream embargo lift?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yes, they can only be unlocked before the CK3 launch, but like Knuc said, any of them that you don't unlock will be available for free at some unspecified later date.

Thanks. I'm not exactly sure what is the point of temporarily gating cosmetics in a primarily single player game, but I might try to knock out the last few points I need for Joan of Arc tonight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Got to love the prick saying how terrible it is that they will be free later, and getting ratioed into damnation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Voting this for the next thread title change

CK3: gently caress The Pope might be a bit much.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Anyone managed to get a key from CDKeys?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can somebody who hasn't bought yet do a favor and check on their Steam? Does the CKIII preorder bonus still show up, or is it gone?

It does not. You can buy the Expansion Pass now, but it totals £11 more than buying the Royal Edition.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Judging by Twitter the standard edition ones are out but the Royal Edition ones aren't.

Royal Edition keys are out now from them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prism posted:

I also went into the military tab, made a men at arms unit of onagers and proceeded to break into the castle with them. Worked perfectly and they were very handy for attacking elsewhere too.

This is my first CK game. I had all of Ireland except for two provinces in the north under my control. Things were looking bright right up until the point I got assassinated and my kingdom broke up into three petty kingdoms, because all the kids had to get a piece.

I feel I have received the real Crusader Kings experience.

So you either didn't form the Kingdom of Ireland, or you didn't take the automatically provided option to switch to tanistry?

Anyway: something appears to be even more hosed than usual as my spymaster informs me that one of my courtiers is her own bastard daughter.

Unbelievable isn't the half of it, Ragnvald.

It's actually a bug - according to the hook Finneacht has a bastard child with Muirchertach, but for some reason it's reporting her as the child.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prism posted:

I did not yet have all the territory to form the Kingdom of Ireland. Was a couple short.

You don't need all the territory to form a de jure kingdom, just 51% of the counties. That's seven in Ireland.

The easiest way to do it as Murchad is to press your de jure claim to the south, then take Connacht and Briefne through fabricated claims to form the second Duchy you need for the kingdom. It's possible to then take the Duchy of Ulster entire if you have good allies - getting William the Bastard on side is an option - but it's easier to snip off Athlone and Ossory. Their duchies are split with the double-count of Leinster and Dublin, which is why you grab the duchy that you can make without warring on a Duke.

Once you've done that, convert to Catholicism through one of your wives. You can now ask the Pope for cash, generally somewhere around 200 gold, which is almost 25% of the money you need to form two duchies and the kingdom. Getting the rest of the land is trivial after that as the count of Dublin and Leinster is also Catholic and will accept vassalisation, and the Duke of Ulster will either do likewise or you will have at least twice his levies in your own domain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Ireland is generally the sandbox.

Ireland is the microcosm. There'll be just as much war, it'll just be smaller wars.

In CK2 I would have suggested a merchant republic but they're not yet playable in CK3. Without that option I would agree with luxury handset that being a vassal is the best place to be. The best situation would be a duke-level title in the Holy Roman Empire or the Abbasid blob - the Muslim duke just south of Afghanistan used to be an amazingly safe place to be because the Indians never seemed to come west, but that may have changed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dee Ehm posted:

I'm a little confused about how Confederate Partition works.

Same as in real life - a bunch of shitheads run off with some of your land, but you should be able to get it all back in less than five years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Catalina posted:

I haven’t checked closely in CKIII to see if it matches, but in CK2, you could join wars but not do anything and get 0% participation bonus, and you wouldn’t get a hit to relationship. The only drawbacks were that enemy troops could still siege your counties (very low likelihood), enemy troops were hostile, and you couldn’t do peacetime events until the war was over.

This has changed. You can get away with joining from your armchair once or twice, but after that your ally says "motherfucker, are you going to get off your rear end or what?" You then have a choice of three options - rack up 100 contribution points within a year or lose prestige, give him a sum of money to help with the war, or break the alliance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Friar John posted:

So I decided to start as William the Bastard, and I'm starting to notice some annoying things with the war AI. I was able to beat Godwinson with my Danish and French allies in 3 years, sure, but when I took over England and had to face Hardrada, it took another 6 years or something of counter-sieging and ping-ponging his armies up and down Britain. I just couldn't kill enough of his guys each time we met, so he'd run away, get his morale back up, then come roaring back to siege some poo poo while I was unsieging some town. That began to feel tedious, near the end. Was I just being inefficient? I hadn't spent money on mercs or MaAs yet, because I didn't know how things were going to go. It also seems like the real move for William is just wait until the Harolds fight each other a few times, then come in to hit the winner. Hmmm, where have I heard that one before.

In the actual historical narrative, which is why you should have considered trying that first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ilitarist posted:

...Because AI sees that you're fine?

From what I've seen AI reacts well to circumstances. When I start marching towards the enemy across several territories they even drop nearby sieges to help me.

"Outnumbered 8 to 1 with enemy reinforcements coming in and about to lose the battle" is a strange definition of "fine" with which I was previously unfamiliar.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

So in a moment of extreme weakness in england I managed to hook the king into marrying his only daughter,

I've read your entire post, and I'll stop you right there.

OK, now you're playing Crusader Kings. What did you want help with again?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Warning: it is possible to gain perks in a lifestyle after fully unlocking all three trees.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BurntCornMuffin posted:

My latest ruler caught smallpox early on, but the "medicine" he was given made him into an insane cannibal. He loved going on crusades to pick up lots of Muslim children to eat, even if they did make him sick fairly frequently.

Of all the things I thought they might include in CK3, I didn't think the aftereffects of a dodgy takeaway would be among them.

Serious question: is there a setting I can turn down somewhere that will stop the game thrashing my PC so much? I've had no CTDs, but one full shutdown.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 5, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

On another note though, Military Academies + Gallant perk on knight effectiveness let's you field some Greek Epic level champions. You can get up to 200% effectiveness with those and a few other lucky perks and the power level does not seem to be a linear increase at all. My 9 champions frequently kill or maim all the opposing knights without much of a fuss and inflict absurd losses on levies.

I just saw a streamer have two of his berserkers rip the head off the same man. Perhaps they were made differently in the 9th century.

I will attest, though, that one of those berserkers racked up 138 personal kills in a battle that had fewer than 2000 men on each side. That's not Greek epic, that's Celtic myth. Presumably he did not think it too many.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

I'm Chivalrous so all the big gay bear knights are super happy to come over and marry my spinster aunts -- really, my top 3 fighters are all gay for some reason

That's strange. I was watching Arumba stream as Gotland the other day and the same thing was happening there. First his 26 Martial marshal tried to seduce the Duke, then one after another he kept catching his champions in flagrante - usually with each other. Also they all seemed to be berserkers. It was like a Norse version of the Sacred Band.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I want to create a custom religion with free love tenets, Lustful as a virtue and temporal head of faith and call it Migrainism, because there's a constant pounding in my temples.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Unless you're playing in southern India at the 867 start, you have to go out of your way to see it, so you only have yourself to blame.

I haven't even seen Adamitism or whatever pop up as a heresy, and I think that's the only other religion that has it?

The Earl of Ulster in my current William the Conqueror game has an Adamite wife.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TGLT posted:

You don't have to disinherit every generation, but it's nice to speed up getting that strengthen blood decision by skipping bad heirs and it's handy to keep your important counties in your control if expansion isn't really an option. I haven't had a non-genius ruler since 910 thanks to it. Plus honestly Renown isn't that hard to come by as time goes on.

The dumb thing about Renown is that you only get it for independent rulers. So your dynasty is more renowned if members are duke-level vassals in half a dozen different kingdoms than it is if you become emperor of the entire world.

E: In my current Bastard Bill game my aging emperor saw his mediocre son and his even more mediocre grandson murdered within the space of a year by persons unknown, leaving his 8 year old great-grandson as heir.

Someone had a cunning plan, alright.

It's been a weird game all around. Baldrick is now my fourth ruler in the game, and so far everyone has outlived their own eldest son.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 20, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s up with your prowess icon being different?

I hadn't noticed, but at a guess I'd say it's because my dynasty has a Warfare legacy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Is changing the target of Crusades broken? I selected a new target, the action box at the bottom briefly turned yellow but then went back to inactive. It now says "no target selected" when there's a tick mark on the box.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The one thing that I want added to this game above all others is to have pins pass to successors. I'm getting sick of having to remove pins from dead people then find the inheritor to pin them again. CK2 followed the Pope and character heirs that way, taking it out was a major backstep.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

The "unfortunately" bit I think comes from having some very noticeable affliction that doesn't hide you behind a mask.

And if you do have to wear a mask, it says "This is you, allegedly".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know if it actually reduces fertility at all in CK3. At least, there's nothing about it in the defines file, where a bunch of other basic fertility modifiers can be found.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't. I've had any number of pregnant wives in their 40s in CK3. My previous ruler's wife did have three miscarriages in a row, though, which is a dose of realism that frankly I could do without.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ElectronicOldMen posted:

I am thinking of simply granting all my vassals independence so that I can get the Dynasty of Many Crowns achievement.

I've been trying to grant my dynastic vassal Kings independence and get told I can't do it because they're not my de jure vassals.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

space uncle posted:

I played as her when she was in her 60s and tried to lose weight, she stayed fat the rest of her life.

I can't recall if it was mentioned here, but the full details of why weight loss isn't working have been discovered. The decision procs only once every three years and when it succeeds - which it won't always - you lose 4 weight units. Every time you go to a feast, whether you're hosting it or not, you automatically gain 4 weight units. Basically, to have any chance of losing Obese you need to instantly take the decision as soon as you get the trait and stop going to any feasts ever because just one can set you back ten years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

It's hidden away in the patch notes, but they're fixing weight loss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

man, this patch is gonna own. strong mongols, vikings that don't grab random pieces of coastline everywhere, a dynasty tree that you can actually move around

what more could you actually want

Universities that provide an education?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

shut up blegum posted:

If you disband mercenaries, is there anyway to call them back? Without paying again :)

They're with you for three years and will raise with the rest of your armies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ilitarist posted:

canoes

Also fun fact: Constantine is considered Catholic, but just couple emperors later Valens is Orthodox in 378. Wonder why.

Constantine is Catholic because he legalised Christianity in 313. Emperors up to Valens should all also be Catholic though, Orthodox Christianity didn't become the ERE's religion of choice until his successor Theodosius hosted the Second Ecumenical Council in 381.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dikkfor posted:

Please help me fix this, my countrymen are dying

Raise fewer levies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guest posted:

I feel like the "have only 2 distinct parents" part of that achievement description is superfluous.

If it works like CK2 then without that distinction you could get the achievement by being a bastard with no known father whose mother was the child of two such bastards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ilitarist posted:

As chaosapiant has alluded, the best way to learn the game is to watch a letsplay.

But my general advice to you is to not be afraid to fail. Unlike most strategy games, it's not a game that is most rewarding when you fully master all the systems. Approach it as a role-playing game where min-maxing is a way to kill the fun.

If by "the fun" you mean "your entire extended family and your three moron sons", anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Reading the Paradox forums so you don't have to (also you literally couldn't, they are going down for maintenance for 6-8 hours shortly):

Crusader Kings 3: Sigurdr is Lit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Thanks for the heresy tips everyone.

Thread title candidate right here.