Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

teacup posted:

Is it realistic to start as a like, low level ruler and eventually... CONQUER EVERYTHING!? Or is the timing too prohibitive and you’d have to start as a higher level ruler

Based on CK2, you'll have plenty of time to go from count to world conquest if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Historically there aren't going to be many, and for the ones that are there you will probably have to deal with the succession laws for a few generations. It's likely you will be forced to have male heirs for at least a while before you can change them. I hope they get the ruler customizer in soon, along with an option for more lenient succession laws.

There's a game rule about gender equality, so you can start the game will fully equal succession

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you took the prisoners in a war that stripped their former liege of land then that might explain why they're being flagged as your guests?

Sometimes when this happens their permanent home is set somewhere else, but if that fails they're thrown into the wandering pool like any other guest and your other guests will be perturbed if you execute them for no reason (so yes, if they'd committed a crime I suspect nobody would be bothered)

If you're that concerned about your guests' opinion for some reason - I forget, does torture give dread? It might not trigger the opinion penalty.

I'm pretty sure Torture gives dread, yeah

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Raise troops respects supply limit unless you tell them not to. So when you hit "raise all" it splits up the expected final stack based on supply. When you raise local, it raises enough troops to hit the local supply limit. I'm pretty sure raise local includes some levies in that total, but am not positive.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Paradox is proud to partner with Valve for our first Hat Pack! 30 dollars gets you ten new hats for your characters to wear. Look forward to our next nineteen hat packs as well!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do friends declare war on you? Would it be possible to avoid crusades/jihads/etc by becoming buddies with the Pope?

I'm pretty sure you can't declare war on friends, but not positive

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

guidoanselmi posted:

I think an event for this can make a spouses death more meaningful by having you choose with pros/cons if you choose one with more/less seniority. Honestly a harem mechanic for dlc would be a lot of fun. Ruler sets a harem policy by decision on inheriting the title, gives the primary spouse a new role, and can add more options for future spouses, intrigue tests with significant risks, and vassal interactions. The Abbasid Court had ~4000 women at its peak for reference.

You should be able to set a secondary spouse to primary by right clicking their portrait, though. It will impact the relationships.

Alternatively, a harem dlc would be gross and cater to the wrong audience. Sure, you're already participating in arranged marriages and kidnapping, but let's not bring that into focus any more than it already is

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

crossposting from the general Paradox thread

:argh: POPULISTS!! :argh:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

My strong period on them is the run up to the first Crusade, so it's possible this really doesn't apply to the post-Manzikert period (certainly not the civil war immediately following), but that's not an accurate picture at all. If you want a book recommendation, I highly endorse Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood.

The key thing for the Roman Empire is that it was not a series of bickering strongmen at all, at least until 1204, it's very different from the feudal aristocracies of Western Europe. What you do see are rebellions by army officers and the armies they lead. Every Emperor usually had to face down at least one. The mood of the city was also fantastically important, Emperors could lose their legitimacy completely if the population really turned on them.

E: oh and yea them consuming the map is a huge problem. As a stop gap I made Holy War require a land connection, and oh man does it ever help.

Ok, so the Roman Empire wasn't a series of bickering strongmen, but we were talking about the Byzantine Empire. What were they like? :colbert:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

gently caress yeah, this looks great. Creating custom religions is fun, and this is a similar system for cultures.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Frionnel posted:

Sure but we're talking about a game that spans 600 years, so having a static core ideals for culture feels really off. Thinking about this more i think i'm fine with traditions but i'm not sure what benefit the ethos system in particular adds to the gameplay to balance the possible stereotyping and i honestly think it should just be scrapped.

They are explicitly not static. You start with a cap of 5 traditions, and cultures begin the game with 3 or 4. The cap increases with Era, and the Cultural Head can spend prestige to introduce new traditions. There's also a "Diverge Culture" button that looks suspiciously like the button to create a new faith

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I guarantee that you are able to change Ethos. It's in the same section as attitudes towards women leading armies, and there's no way that isn't changable

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

EDIT: Nope, I got my script values messed up ignore me

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

gently caress me, I just got this game the other day. I haven't played any of the others, and this is basically like no other strategy game I've ever seen.

I started as Sigurdr "Snake in the Eye" and raided and warred my way to a quite comfortable spot. Then I died and my arrogant lovely son waged even more war on my weak rear end neighbors until he was King of Denmark. All of my strength was basically focused on Denmark, though - the three territories of the actual islands. King Sverker died, and his son only got... two of those territories. Compassionate, just King Karl lost one of them to his pre-teen half brother. I denounced the boy, then revoked his title. He tried to rebel, but it was a pathetic show. I took back my other bit of Denmark, locked up my half brother for some time. I let him go out of pity eventually, and King Karl subjugated and took basically all of Scandinavia. Then he fuckin died and now everything is a shitshow.

I'm in the middle of dad's giant fuckin war. My literal giant wife hasn't given me any antifa supersoldier kids yet. I'm an evil gently caress and my good dad had to cover up two murders.

The concept of trying to rebuild the Kingdom of Denmark from this ruin is hard to even imagine.

Edit: Do I keep playing? Do I quit? What even do I do with this game?

Keep going. Even if your work is shattered, you can rebuild just like you did the first time. CK3 is a fun game to "lose", and as long as you aren't miserable it's worth it to keep going

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a mod to turn this into Sengoku 2?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2253278582

Haven't actually checked it out, so no promises on completeness or quality

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Shook off them haters again fellas

You know, having met 12 year olds, I can sympathize with declaring them your rivals

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

scaterry posted:

Good grief, there are ingame ways to accomplish this. No need to go straight for capitulation.

The best in-game way to accomplish this is the button in the menu to change characters. You only need to use Designate Heir or Elective if you want to also pass on other titles to the kid

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

The dueling over artifacts is interesting, wonder what exactly the criteria are for having a claim to do that. Would finally be something that actually makes a ruler's prowess meaningful for non Norse.

From the thread:
When a character dies, their heir gets their items, but the heir's siblings get Claims to the item
If an item is taken from you (such as after a Siege), you get a Claim to take it back
If you hold an item long enough, your House gets a Claim on it, and anyone in the House could try to take it back from someone not in the House

Claims can let you duel for an artifact, but you can also go to war to reclaim them

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Nordick posted:

Speaking of marriages, I wish they'd add a "not related" filter when looking for a spouse for your kid. It was getting really hard in my last game to find spouses that weren't a bit too cousin for comfort.

I mean I guess that's on my own head, for having a faith with consorts and concubines so that everyone has a ton of kids. But like, when 90% of the marriage options are from your own dynasty, it'd be cool to have a filter to show only the not-too-closely related ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQ797zTbcw

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

It would be cool if you could slowly cede power to your heir while still alive to negate some/all short reign penalties. It's something that was done IRL on several occasions, but would require letting the AI actually have some power. So you'd risk your idiot son declaring a war or mis-managing your holdings or something as a trade off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah, I think there's a lot of people that have a hard-on for numbers. But a lot should be obscured. There's no way that I'd know, down to the man, how many levies a rival king could raise. Maybe if I was really good friends, or perhaps spent time at their court, or had spymasters getting that info etc. Same with gold level of foreign folks - maybe it can be descriptive or a range until you learn more.

Also, children should not be born and revealed to be a Herculean Genius Handsome Superbaby at 0 years old.

Not only does it make the eugenics lovers excited to cull the weak from birth, it doesn't make sense. IMO, level 1 of those traits should reveal themselves at 5 years old, 2nd level at 10, 3rd at 15.

I'm not sure if this would be easy to mod - but also unfortunately I prefer playing Ironman :(

Hmmm.. I've done a bit of modding and it should't be too difficult. You have an on_born trigger that you could attach your base event to

Have the first event detect the presence of non-obvious genetic traits and store their values on the character. Then queue up the follow up events to give the increasing levels at 5 10 15 or whatever.

I haven't done anything exactly like this, but from what I've done before it seems relatively simple. Probably a pain in the rear end to test though. And then, since it's a Rule that no mod does exactly what you want and no more, you also have it give all babies the Ugly trait until they're ~4 because all babies are ugly