Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

That seems like an extremely robust system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'm pretty sure hordes are playable, they just use the tribal mechanics.

Though this might have been changed since I've read about it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

disaster pastor posted:

Wasn't there a DD or a Q&A where they said the Byzantines have a simplified inheritance structure right now, and expanding that is going to come in a DLC where their goal is to get it much better than CK2 did?

The Byzantines will probably share their inheritance structure with China as soon as the inevitable DLC hits.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Most of those seem really fun and not too frustrating.

They might be basic but I'm a big fan of 'start as [character] and control [nation]' achievements.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-Zk6G4aiI

I may make my first game an African one, nice to see that part of the world get some love from the start

That guy is unlistenable-ah.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ilitarist posted:

I'm really looking for casual chill potential of CK3.

Same, I'm probably going to pick a country in the rear end-end of nowhere (Ireland, Burma) and just try to build tall while the world evolves around me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

disaster pastor posted:

This. I never got good at CK2 at all, but I was perfectly happy to spend dozens of hours with mods and console commands. I have no reason to think CK3 isn't going to be excellent, but even if it turns out not to be, what's that going to look like? The game is badly balanced and too hard? Oh, no, I'll have to use console commands again...

I've played Paradox games since EU1 and CK2 was probably the only game I'm genuinely good at. But that might also be because unlike other Grand Strategy games I never got 'burnt out' on it until well over 1500 hours of playtime.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Guest posted:

Having watched most of the early previews from the CK3 youtubers, I can confirm that this must certainly be true. Almost all of them were British cringelords who went full LARP mode wearing crowns and fur mantles and poo poo, and half of them affect an accent that is so insufferably posh that I can only assume they are doing it on purpose to sound as inbred as their ingame character.

It says a lot that the best CK3 youtuber is apparently a guy called "One Proud Bavarian", which is... a distracting name to say the least. Like I spent his whole preview video wondering if he was about to say some horrendous nationalist poo poo, and how much I should be reading into him invading Poland, and it still ended up being a way better viewing experience than any of the other clowns.

Bavaria is like Texas in the sense that it has a very strong national identity separate from Germany/The United States.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Doltos posted:

Since spiff sent me this I count this as him breaking the NDA

The Chad emperor.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

One of the videos showed the imperial crown of Hispania and it looked amazing. Really hoping there's loads of variety when it comes to that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

CommunityEdition posted:

Bets on when the first anime clothing mod shows up on the workshop? I say 2 weeks

I'm dreading the erotic visual novel mods.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

I mean the line right before that is "gratuitous, exploitative, or offensive depictions of", which I would hardly think applies.

Having an achievement that requires 3 generations of incest might fall under gratuitous though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Only a few days 'till release and all I can think is "Please let there be a ruler history... :spergin:"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've seen screenshots of the title history screen (pretty similar to the CK2 version just in the new UI style) but I can't turn them up now. If that's what you meant.

You have no idea how happy you just made me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Jedit posted:

Got to love the prick saying how terrible it is that they will be free later, and getting ratioed into damnation.

There's a weird nostalgia associated with Paradoxplaza members doing Paradoxplaza things. :allears:

Reddit has this beauty of a post the other day:

https://www.removeddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/ihhqik/paradox_interactive_is_one_of_the_few_game/

Vichan fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

LordMune posted:

With a tem outta :tem: from IGN, I consider the stain on my reputation that is their 6.3 review of Stellaris erased.

edit: there u go

That's insane, I never expected a Paradox game to ever get a perfect score.

Can it be tomorrow already? :saddowns:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The story is definitely apocryphal, there was not really a famine during Louis XVI's reign but there was a bread shortage the year before the revolution kicked off. Her actual thoughts on the matter were quite different:

quote:

It is quite certain that in seeing the people who treat us so well despite their own misfortune, we are more obliged than ever to work hard for their happiness. The King seems to understand this truth.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

londonmoose posted:

What start date is everyone going for in their first game? I’m less familiar with pre-1066 stuff and didn’t really play the early starts on CK2 but since they’re in from the base game now might try it out. Ireland seems to still be tutorial island either way.

Ireland in 867 is significantly harder because of vikings raids.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

18:00!

Downloading now! :D

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

JosefStalinator posted:

Does anyone else have the issue that some of the little tooltips don't actually stay when you try to mouse over them? It seems to work sometimes, but not always.

Yes, it worked for me consistently until it didn't, now it never seems to work.

No Pants posted:

Yeah, click the book on the top right-ish.

My only complaint is that regnal numbers don't seem to be showing correctly like in CK2. Harald IV of Norway should be shown as Harald III of England for example. Landless characters also don't have their numbers displayed in the ruler history.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

DrPop posted:

I asked this before but I don't think I've seen anyone comment on it - is the fact that Irish men following Insular Christianity can take multiple wives working-as-intended?

feels like no but idk

It's listed as one of the religion's features so I guess so.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Tried playing as the lord of Gwynned in 867 and became king within five years. I got cancer shortly afterwards, enacted tanistry succession and nominated my eldest son. All my children loved me so I was sure I had made the right decision.

Shortly after said son ascended the throne I found out that every single family member HATES him because he tried to kill one of his brothers. Within 3 years I am forced out as king, 2 years later the duchy of Gwynned gets taken from me and now my last title has just been revoked. Game over.

I love this game. :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We really need a "that's CK" smiley possibly with Glitterhoof.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Anyone else having an issue with navigating the family tree?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Can the AI pagans reform?

Yes, I've seen it happen thrice in my Byzantium playthrough. (Tengri and two African religions)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Wanted to browse the family tree only to discover that my second character's sister no longer seems to be visible, what's up with that?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ulmont posted:

You see things like that a lot if Harald Hardrada wins and conquers England for Norway.

I really want CK2+' Anglo-Norse culture to make a comeback.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

GODS I WAS STRONG THEN

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

so i've managed to reform asatru as the swedish starting character and form scandinavia. it's ~950 AD, what other interesting stuff can i do? do i just wait around to get all my tribal ideas so i can adopt feudal? confederate partition keeps loving up my domain so i want to go for primogeniture

e: world map

gently caress this gardariki dude, hes responsible for 90% of the border gore in europe

If you're playing Ironman you can try to conquer Britannia for an achievement.

If you stay tribal then chances are high that your vassals will do most of the legwork.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

quote:

- Only the holder of a holding can cancel construction now. No more canceling your vassals' constructions to get money

drat.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFN05T_7rcw

Hope this hasn't been posted yet!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ToxicAcne posted:

I'm playing my first real game as Harald Fairhair, and I feel like the modular setup for religions make them way too generic. Even for the norse, there aren't many unique events to bring flavour to the different cultures and religions in the game.

Yeah, I've been holding off on the game until they get some more flavour. I don't want to burn out on it before it gets even better.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Godherja's out on the 18th!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2326030123

Godherja is out!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

The simplest change would honestly be to just up the character random mortality rate. Far too many people are ruling till 80, meaning you're always playing heirs who are established in their own right by the time of succession. Let's get some more child rulers in there, should stir things up a bit.

Diseases should be way deadlier IMO.

PittTheElder posted:

When did that transition even happen though? I'm reading some Kaldellis right now, and he's pretty insistent it hasn't happened by the First Crusade.

Wasn't Basil II famous for breaking the backs of the magnates and redistributing their lands?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

ilitarist posted:

It'd be great for the game to keep track of some history. It does so through relationship modifiers and a clever title system (I mean those subtitles like "your lover, vassal and champion") but I still miss an opportunity to see a quick character history and description. Also that character description is less than I expected. All those "cowardly atheist" do very little to tell me about the character, especially with how many atheists, adventurers and cowards I see.

EU:Rome had this and even though it was presented in a pretty rough manner it was one of its best features and allowed for some pretty amazing character stories to shine through.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

What ruler in godherja has the most cobtent

The siblings in Chevalrie in the north, also the leader of the southern legion that you get recommended in the menu. Both are still pretty sparse though. The latter is the only one with an actual event chain IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Possible DLC leak. Although other people on Reddit are saying it's fake.